Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Australia1
Topic Author

Rumour Only JQ To YXX!

Mon Jan 01, 2007 8:46 am

just heard from a reasonably reliable source at QF not JQ, that JQ seriously looking at SYD/HNL/YXX & MEL/HNL/YXX for DEC start.

YXX enven though QF now flies to YVR again.

YXX does suit the lower cost philosophy (like at Ryanair) & is a lot closer to central BC ski resorts than YVR & in terms of travel time, very little further by road to Whistler, as YXX is right beside the trans-Canada hwy & unlike YVR/WHISTLER don't have to go thru downtown Vancouver.

If pax currnetly flying into YVR on AC, the AC earlybird fares have included points east such as YLW, YKA etc. at no extra cost, but connecting times at YVR can be long. Driving from YXX cf. YVR is probably 1 hour + less, so in terms of total transit time, may be able to get to Whistler, Sun Peaks, Silver Star & Big White, in same time or less from SYD & definitely less from MEL.

Tuffer

RE: Rumour Only JQ To YXX!

Mon Jan 01, 2007 9:46 am

I know its not going to happen but why not give YYC a try. Not as much competition on the HNL-YYC portion as there is on the HNL-YVR portion with only Harmony flying to YYC 2 times a week. There are tons of excellent ski resorts within a 1-1.5 hour drive from the Calgary Airport. And seeing as QF already fly to YVR though SFO it would open up a new city for them in Canada!

ACDC8

Mon Jan 01, 2007 10:22 am

Quoting Australia1 (Thread starter):
YXX does suit the lower cost philosophy (like at Ryanair) & is a lot closer to central BC ski resorts than YVR & in terms of travel time,

Actually, Abbotsford is only about 30-45 minutes closer then YVR to central BC.

Quoting Australia1 (Thread starter):
If pax currnetly flying into YVR on AC, the AC earlybird fares have included points east such as YLW, YKA etc. at no extra cost, but connecting times at YVR can be long. Driving from YXX cf. YVR is probably 1 hour + less, so in terms of total transit time,

YLW and YKA are still a good 3.5 to 4 hours driving time from YXX (never mind in the winter months) CNX times to YLW from YVR are very reasonable, usually not much longer then 2 hours. In all honesty, if one would cnx through YVR to YLW, it'll take only half the time it would as opposed to driving. Besides, who would want to do a 4 hour drive after a long-haul flight?

Another problem would be for the return flight, especially this winter, the highways have been closed several times so you couldn't drive to the lower mainland from the interior.
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

spyderz

Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:53 pm

While it would be cool seeing heavies on a more consistent basis in YXX, this does not really make much sense. YXX currently struggles to handle two 737's and the same time, let alone a widebody aircraft. Zoom's operation this summer appeared to be unsuccessful, which was the only previous sem-scheduled widebody flight from YXX. JQ is probably playing YVR in threatening the YXX move, but are probably faint threats. The future for international flights from YXX should not lie in passenger flights, but cargo flights. If marketed correctly, YXX could be successful in creating a small mini-cargo gateway.

Australia1
Topic Author

Mon Jan 01, 2007 2:48 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 2):
YLW and YKA are still a good 3.5 to 4 hours driving time from YXX (never mind in the winter months) CNX times to YLW from YVR are very reasonable, usually not much longer then 2 hours. In all honesty, if one would cnx through YVR to YLW, it'll take only half the time it would as opposed to driving. Besides, who would want to do a 4 hour drive after a long-haul flight?

Every time u change guage, there's a delay, plus who's talking about pax driving themselves, we're talking about a fleet of coaches !!!

Another problem would be for the return flight, especially this winter, the highways have been closed several times so you couldn't drive to the lower mainland from the interior.

Roads close everywhere, look around DEN lately, but Canadians r pretty good at keeping them open, esp. Trans-Canada Hwy.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 2):

that's closer if you ask me !!!

Apparently charges are very low at YXX & YVR very high. Ryanair wouldn't use YVR it would use YXX, so if going to pretend to be a low cost carrier, then YXX it is.

The int terminal at YXX is very basic but underused !!!

ACDC8

Mon Jan 01, 2007 3:30 pm

Quoting Australia1 (Reply 4):
Roads close everywhere, look around DEN lately, but Canadians r pretty good at keeping them open, esp. Trans-Canada Hwy.

This year has been very bad. Hwy.5 has been closed multiple times because they could not keep up with the snow accumulation. Hwy's. 1 + 3 have also been closed for the same reason a few times this year already. It doesn't always happen, but if you have to get by car from the Interior to the Lower mainland and the roads are closed, you do have a problem. If you book a flight between YLW and YVR for example, it's very unlikely you will miss your flight from YLW because the airport is only an hour's drive from the major ski hills in the area, if the airport is closed, the airline (in most cases) is responsible for your missed cnx's.

And yes, roads close everywhere, but if you need to get from point A to point B and you can't, you have a problem.

that's closer if you ask me !!!

It is closer, but on a 4 to 5 hour drive, it's not much of a difference. As I said, if you connect through YVR or YXX (which one may someday have the possibility to do) you will save at least 2.5 to 3 hours on your trip into the interior as opposed to driving.

As far as going to Whistler, you won't save any time going through YXX as opposed to YVR. Yes, you do have to drive through downtown Vancouver if you use YVR, but that's doesn't take anymore time then it would having to drive from YXX.

Apparently charges are very low at YXX & YVR very high. Ryanair wouldn't use YVR it would use YXX, so if going to pretend to be a low cost carrier, then YXX it is.

That is something that very well maybe, but from a traveller's point of view YXX is only an attractive alternative if you actually live or are travelling to the Fraser Valley. It offers no other benefits. Airline fares are the same price if you are flying from either YXX or YVR.

As far as LCC carriers go, I really doubt the airline will offer any substantial savings to pax fares going through YXX as opposed to YVR. If DE can offer fares from YVR to anywhere in Germany for $350 CDN, I doubt they'll be much cheaper from YXX.

The int terminal at YXX is very basic but underused !!!

One problem YVR does have is long line-ups at the customs and immigration, however during busy times, all the desks are open. How many desks does YXX offer? I also seriously doubt that they will open up any more and hire more personal for a few extra flights a week, so again, one won't save any time.

Not to mention the availability of rental cars in YXX as opposed to YVR. Budget has more cars based in YVR then they do in the rest of the BC combined.

Quoting Spyderz (Reply 3):
JQ is probably playing YVR in threatening the YXX move, but are probably faint threats. The future for international flights from YXX should not lie in passenger flights, but cargo flights. If marketed correctly, YXX could be successful in creating a small mini-cargo gateway.

I agree.

FlyboyOz

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:07 am

Is that true??? where did u find the source?

Well...Vancouver-Whister will be held in the winter olympic games in 2010. Remember Jetstar is a holiday airlines. It has a good deal package for the holiday pax to visit Canada. Qantas is a business and holiday airlines cos they have business pax to fly to YVR for business. I have seen and talked with lots of australian business people in YVR.
The Spirit of AustraliAN - Longreach

timeair

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:13 am

YXX-YKA or YLW is 3 hrs driving...IF the Coquihala highway is not closed!..4hrs if you go the Canyon on Highway 1. Anticipate a minimum of 4 hrs of driving through extreme winter conditions adds up to more than the 2.5 hrs of connection and flight time to reach YKA/YLW through YVR.
You can't get there from here.

Australia1
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:16 am

Quoting Timeair (Reply 7):
YXX-YKA or YLW is 3 hrs driving...IF the Coquihala highway is not closed!..4hrs if you go the Canyon on Highway 1. Anticipate a minimum of 4 hrs of driving through extreme winter conditions adds up to more than the 2.5 hrs of connection and flight time to reach YKA/YLW through YVR.

The majority of the time the roads are not closed. Connections YVR/YKA or YVR/YLW can be awful if coming in from SYD/HNL (eg. 4 hrs at YVR if flying SYD/HNL/YVR/YLW on AC). If the weather is bad & roads are slow, guess the airports will be slow as well !!!

timeair

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:23 am

Quoting Australia1 (Reply 8):
The majority of the time the roads are not closed

The Coquihala closed 6 times in December!...Connection time off AC34 to a flight to YKA-YLW takes less than 2 hrs and a 45-55 minute flight and you are at your destination!
You can't get there from here.

ACDC8

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting Timeair (Reply 7):
4hrs if you go the Canyon on Highway 1.

Add another 2 to 2.5 hours on that one if you're going to YLW.

Quoting Australia1 (Reply 8):
Connections YVR/YKA or YVR/YLW can be awful if coming in from SYD/HNL (eg. 4 hrs at YVR if flying SYD/HNL/YVR/YLW on AC).

Minus the time for customs, collecting baggage and checking-in for your cnx flight. Which after gives you time to get some fresh air, a coffee, stretch your legs while you wait. If you're driving (from either YVR and YXX) don't forget you have to rent a car still, and that can add a good hour to your driving time.

yvr1968

Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:50 am

I would have to say this would be highly unlikely. If this "rumour" is true, JQ would have to rely on point to point traffic only (Australia - Vancouver area). There is minimal (at best) connection traffic available out of YXX. The whole time-saving argument is hogwash. There would be minimal savings (at best) for driving east from YXX and as for Whistler, it makes no sense. It just doesn't seem like a logical plan to me.

ACDC8

Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:09 am

Quoting YVR1968 (Reply 11):
would have to say this would be highly unlikely. If this "rumour" is true, JQ would have to rely on point to point traffic only (Australia - Vancouver area). There is minimal (at best) connection traffic available out of YXX.

Agreed. Even though YXX may get more cnx flights in the future, they won't be able to match YVR with destinations and frequencies.

There is minimal (at best) connection traffic available out of YXX. The whole time-saving argument is hogwash.

Exactly! On paper, you might save time flying into YXX, but in reality you won't.

There would be minimal savings (at best) for driving east from YXX and as for Whistler, it makes no sense.

I live in Vernon (just north of YLW) and I fly to Europe a good 4 times a year. Sometimes I fly out of YLW and connect in YVR, and sometimes I drive down to YVR. Driving time between YVR and YXX is usually only 30 min., sometimes it has taken 45 min. But on a 4-5 hour drive, you don't notice any difference, so I agree, it makes no sense.

Australia1
Topic Author

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:04 am

Quoting TIMEAIR (Reply 9):
Connection time off AC34 to a flight to YKA-YLW takes less than 2 hrs and a 45-55 minute flight and you are at your destination!

just had a quick look at Air Canada site for 17JAN best connection from AC34 SYD/YVR to YLW is AC1184 4hours less 5 minutes later (didn't look up Westjet as most pax from OZ on AC will continue on AC, as many buy earlybird fares which inc. YVR/YLW for no extra.

(not on CRS so can't check other dates thru out year)

YKA connection is worse.

AC34 arrives at 0730. Best connect AC8192 1155 or 4 hours 25 minutes.

Admittedly this lousy connections could be solved by AC easily, but they choose not to.

Think you guys are missing another point, YVR is very congested, YXX is not.

Also with JQ domestic, you can't tag your bags onward with another carrier. I think this applies internationally (not to NZ)

sebring

Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:24 am

1. At the present time, the Canada-Australia bilateral makes no provision for serving YXX. So it will take an expanded bilateral for this to happen.

2. YXX, IIRC, does not have customs pre-clearance so HNL-bound passengers will have to clear at destination. I don't even know if YXX has any Canadian customs capability, but it certainly does not have US pre-clearance.

3. You can bet that before this happens, possibly as early as next winter, AC will offer a YVR-SYD nonstop on a brand spanking new 777-200LR that will skip the two hour immigration/refueling bullcrap in HNL and optimize all connections to the BC interior and, for that matter, the rest of Canada. Once AC goes nonstop, which it will, bank on it, no OZ carrier will be competitive between Australia and Vancouver until QF gets enough 787s to fly the route nonstop.

TheCol

Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:15 am

Since the introduction of the WS YEG and seasonal YYZ flights, YXX has been servicing two 737's at a time on a daily basis. In fact, since Nov 2005, there have been times when four comercial aircraft, between two or three airlines, have been serviced at the same time with little difficulty. That includes 757's.

Quoting Sebring (Reply 14):
2. YXX, IIRC, does not have customs pre-clearance so HNL-bound passengers will have to clear at destination. I don't even know if YXX has any Canadian customs capability, but it certainly does not have US pre-clearance.

Here lies the problem. Currently YXX only has customs facilities for inbound flights.

[Edited 2007-01-03 02:17:43]
No matter how random things may appear, there's always a plan.

spyderz

Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:00 pm

Quoting TheCol (Reply 15):
Since the introduction of the WS YEG and seasonal YYZ flights, YXX has been servicing two 737's at a time on a daily basis. In fact, since Nov 2005, there have been times when four comercial aircraft, between two or three airlines, have been serviced at the same time with little difficulty. That includes 757's.

Very true, however from personal experience I feel that is pushing the airport's current capabilities severely. The wait at checkin for Westjet can be literally out the door and the security wait is simply unacceptable for a small, relaxed hassle-free flying experience. YXX needs to expand its current facilties, however I do not believe the long-term planned infield terminal to be the most efficient and greatest use of facilities. This type of planning is typical unrealistic small airport grandious-level thinking.

YVRLTN

Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:16 pm

Quoting Spyderz (Reply 16):
The wait at checkin for Westjet can be literally out the door

Hey, if they've spent 2 weeks falling over in the snow, whats 30 mins in a little breeze Big grin

3. You can bet that before this happens, possibly as early as next winter, AC will offer a YVR-SYD nonstop on a brand spanking new 777-200LR that will skip the two hour immigration/refueling bullcrap in HNL and optimize all connections to the BC interior and, for that matter, the rest of Canada. Once AC goes nonstop, which it will, bank on it, no OZ carrier will be competitive between Australia and Vancouver until QF gets enough 787s to fly the route nonstop.

checkmark 

In a way, im surprised QF have continued with the SFO add on, i would have though this would have been a route JQ may have taken up on a weekly or seasonal basis bearing in mind the nature of the pax - most effective use of the fleets i suppose. Still, im not complaining, i like the 744 for belly cargo space  Smile
Follow me on twitter for YVR movements @vernonYVR

threepoint

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting Tuffer (Reply 1):
There are tons of excellent ski resorts within a 1-1.5 hour drive from the Calgary Airport.

But the Aussies tend to be sold on the BC resorts, especially Whistler-Blackcomb and the two in Vernon & Kelowna which are Australian-owned and I believe heavily marketed at home.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 2):

45 min at fastest, assuming good-traffic days.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 2):

An infrequent enough occurrence as to make the point moot.

The future for international flights from YXX should not lie in passenger flights, but cargo flights.

Bingo. Nail on the head. YXX will always have a healthy domestic/regional transborder passenger component, as there is a large population served better from there than by YVR. But the real expansion relies on its position adjacent to the TC Hwy east of the traffic bottlenecks in Vancouver and its contributing role in the Gateway project.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 5):
Not to mention the availability of rental cars in YXX as opposed to YVR. Budget has more cars based in YVR

If there is a sudden market of drivers looking for cars to rent, you can bet all the rental companies will position vehicles at YXX in a heartbeat.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 12):
Driving time between YVR and YXX is usually only 30 min., sometimes it has taken 45 min

45 minutes is a good time if you take the path of least resistance (Zero Ave) and don't hit a jam. Done it enough times to make it almost a science.

I don't even know if YXX has any Canadian customs capability

They do. Inbound only and not geared towards 200+ pax arriving at once.

Quoting YVRLTN (Reply 17):
In a way, im surprised QF have continued with the SFO add on - most effective use of the fleets i suppose.

Yep, strikes me as the reason too. May as well make it pay rather than sit idle at SFO an extra few hours.
The nice thing about a mistake is the pleasure it gives others.

ClassicLover

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:36 am

I hope so... QF will shit their pants if AC go non-stop to YVR, as a lot of people will choose the non-stop flight over the QF one-stop.

QF won't have 787s of its own until 2009. Jetstar are getting the first 10 or 12 in a row from mid-2008.

Back on topic though, YXX? I think Australia1 is pulling everyone's chain and trying to create some rumours.
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

ACDC8

Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:03 am

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 18):
But the Aussies tend to be sold on the BC resorts, especially Whistler-Blackcomb and the two in Vernon & Kelowna which are Australian-owned and I believe heavily marketed at home.

Agreed. The local hotels here are filled with Australian's and New Zealander's at the moment.

45 min at fastest, assuming good-traffic days.

45 minutes is a good time if you take the path of least resistance (Zero Ave) and don't hit a jam. Done it enough times to make it almost a science.

I've done it enough times in 30 minutes. Simply take Hwy.99 down to Hwy.10, through Surrey and Langely onto Hwy.1. Then again I have made it from Burnaby to Vernon in 3 hours ...  Wink .

Sorry, but the argument that YXX will save you time driving to the Interior as opposed to YVR is minimal.

If there is a sudden market of drivers looking for cars to rent, you can bet all the rental companies will position vehicles at YXX in a heartbeat.

Having worked in the car rental industry for a long enough time, I can assure you they won't. The rental companies in BC are all owned by franchises, for example the ones in Vancouver are a different company then the ones in the interior, even though they carry the same name as Budget or Avis. As an example, if you were to rent a car in YLW and drive it to YVR, the YVR location can only rent that car out if it is going back to it's original point of origin. This is why there are drop-off fees, because the company has to get the vehicle back to it's point of origin, either by truck or driver.

Each location "owns" a certain number of cars and can only be transferred from location to location in certain situations, such as when a location is overbooked or one of their vehicles is out of service. However, this only works with-in the franchises themselves. So YVR cannot have a car transferred from YLW because it operates under a different franchise.

Having said that, the only way YXX could get more cars is if the franchise transfers the cars from another location (which is very unlikely because most locations run at minimum inventory as is) or the franchise would have to order more cars in, which they most certainly would not do in a heartbeat.

Don't get me wrong, I think it would be great to see YXX get this kind of service, but the whole time saving argument is not much of an argument.

threepoint

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:53 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 20):
Having worked in the car rental industry for a long enough time, I can assure you they won't.

Thanks. I learned a thing or two about the industry today. Among them: why they are so inflexible when you ask for a one-way rental.

Quoting ClassicLover (Reply 19):
YXX? I think Australia1 is pulling everyone's chain and trying to create some rumours.

Crossed my mind too.

QF will shit their pants if AC go non-stop to YVR, as a lot of people will choose the non-stop flight over the QF one-stop.

Sure they will. Which is probably a big factor in the snail's pace of the Canada-Australia bilateral agreement talks.

but the whole time saving argument is not much of an argument.

Agreed. But not my argument in the first place.

sebring

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:57 am

Quoting Threepoint (Reply 21):

Sure they will. Which is probably a big factor in the snail's pace of the Canada-Australia bilateral agreement talks.

AC has already operated non-stop flights northbound from Sydney to Vancouver and could do so at any time.

TheCol

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:02 am

Having said that, the only way YXXrncould get more cars is if the franchise transfers the cars from another location (which is very unlikely because most locations run at minimum inventory as is) or the franchise would have to order more cars in, which they most certainly would not do in a heartbeat.

Even if they could get more cars, they would have nowhere to put them. The rental companies have already filled up 40% employee parking lot at YXX, and it can be a major pain in the rear at times for airport employees.

The future for international flights from YXX should not lie in passenger flights, but cargo flights. If marketed correctly, YXX could be successful in creating a small mini-cargo gateway.

While that can be true, YXX does have the potential to grow into a small domestic airport like YYJ. There are enough people around the valley to support such a venture. Some international flights can be added too. Skyservice last year did very well with their CUN flights. WS also did quite well with their PVR flights last year, and they even added a couple RNO flights this year as well.
IMO, the airport authority should rip out the old international facility and connect a new building to the existing domestic terminal and use those facilities for both international and domestic flights. The restricted area can be extended down past the international terminal. There are only a few maintenance facilities there now, and they can be re-located.

threepoint

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:12 am

Quoting Sebring (Reply 22):
AC has already operated non-stop flights northbound from Sydney to Vancouver and could do so at any time.

You're right. They have. My bad.

We understand YVR-SYD nonstop in both directions is on AC's wishlist...the only question is how far down it is once new planes arrive.

ACDC8

Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:19 am

Thanks. I learned a thing or two about the industry today. Among them: why they are so inflexible when you ask for a one-way rental

Car renting is IMHO one of the most customer unfriendly industries around, at least in parts of Canada, it's a much more pleasant experience overseas. At least now you know why they charge you $400+ for a drop off fee if you are renting a car in YLW and want to drop it of at YVR, $600+ for YYC if I recall.

Just a word of advice though, if you do need to rent a car in YVR and drive it up to YLW (as an example), ask them if they have a YLW car on the lot, chances are you'd get a good deal.

Agreed. But not my argument in the first place.

I know, sorry if it seemed like I was pointing fingers.

Australia1
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:33 am

I hope so... QF will shit their pants if AC go non-stop to YVR, as a lot of people will choose the non-stop flight over the QF one-stop.

Not all Australians live in SYD. QF still has advantage out of MEL & BNE with only nonstops to LAX.

Agreed. The local hotels here are filled with Australian's and New Zealander's at the moment.

JAN is Australians month in Canada/US ski resorts.

Try getting a flight out of Australia from 26DEC or even worse 1JAN to ~10JAN to USA/Canada.

As most Australian school holidays don't finish this year until very late JAN, eg. some school in BNE don't go back until 31JAN, so pax with school kids, will not USA/CANADA until 28JAN, which gets them back here 30JAN with a day to recover before school starts, ie. many flights USA/CANADA to OZ are chocca block from about 18-28JAN.

ACDC8

Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:41 am

Quoting Australia1 (Reply 26):
JAN is Australians month in Canada/US ski resorts.

Try getting a flight out of Australia from 26DEC or even worse 1JAN to ~10JAN to USA/Canada.

It's kind of neat, when you go out to a restaraunt here at this time of year, all you here are Aussie's. In the summer, we got bus loads of Asian Tourists come through, but this time of year is Down Under for us.

If this trend continues, maybe we'll see one of your planes in YLW? Verny unlikely, but one never knows what the future of aviation holds.

[Edited 2007-01-04 00:48:18]

Australia1
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:07 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 27):
If this trend continues, maybe we'll see one of your planes in YLW

Thought YLW runway too short for anything bigger than a 757 (harmony) ?

R Harmony weight restricted YLW/HNL ?

ACDC8

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:10 am

Quoting Australia1 (Reply 28):
Thought YLW runway too short for anything bigger than a 757 (harmony) ?

At present, but expansion plans are underway, including runway as at any airport. "Rumours" are that they want to start charter service to Europe within the next few years. But that's another topic.

Australia1
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:42 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 29):
expansion plans are underway, including runway

when & to what length runway ?

If YLW can handle 752's now, how much longer does runway need to be to be able to handle 762's & 763's, eg. from HNL ?

ACDC8

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:10 am

Quoting Australia1 (Reply 30):
when & to what length runway ?

The rwy is to be extended to 9000' by 2008 and 10000' by 2025.

Here is a link to there masterplan:
http://www.city.kelowna.bc.ca/CityPa...Master%20Plan%202025%20Summary.pdf

It will really be interesting to see how much of this becomes reality.

Quoting Australia1 (Reply 30):
If YLW can handle 752's now, how much longer does runway need to be to be able to handle 762's & 763's, eg. from HNL ?

That I'm not to sure of, but I'm sure a 9000ft rwy should be enough.

SkydrolBoy

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:18 pm

Harmony Airways (HQ/HMY)

Applies for Fiji and Australia ---has applied to the CTA for permission to operate a scheduled international passenger service between points in Canada and Australia and Fiji. The applications specifically mention code- sharing only. The CTA has granted the necessary licenses and Harmony is now free to negotiate a code-share arrangement with other airlines to serve these points.

Could Jetstar be who Harmony is negotiating with to serve these points, this seems more likely to me than Jetstar flying on their own directly into YXX. Also if its true than Austrailians would also be able to fly SYD/HNL/YLW aswell.

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 31):
It will really be interesting to see how much of this becomes reality.

The provincial government and city of Kelowna have offered up part of the dough required to expand they runway and are waiting for the Federal government to fork over some cash too. The fed's have said they will give some money for it but have yet to write a cheque, I'm sure the runway is gonna happen but my money is on it happening in 2009 and not 2008.

Australia1
Topic Author

Fri Jan 12, 2007 8:07 am

Quoting SkydrolBoy (Reply 32):
Applies for Fiji and Australia ---has applied to the CTA for permission to operate a scheduled international passenger service between points in Canada and Australia and Fiji. The applications specifically mention code- sharing only. The CTA has granted the necessary licenses and Harmony is now free to negotiate a code-share arrangement with other airlines to serve these points.

HQ already has an arrangement with HA, ie. thru fares from SYD to points that HQ flies in Canada.

Not sure who HQ would codeshare with to NAN though. FJ is only carrier I believe that flies YVR/NAN (via HNL) & that's with a 737-700, although FJ do fly LAX/NAN with 744's 3-4 times a week ???

9252fly

Fri Jan 12, 2007 11:36 am

TheCol

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:19 pm

Quoting 9252fly (Reply 34):

Yeah, that didn't surprise anyone. WS had the YXX-YYZ market made.

[Edited 2007-01-12 05:21:48]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos