Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Tod

RE: Why 103.7 FM On Safety Cards?

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:59 am

Quoting SafetyDude (Reply 21):
Maybe someone can verify the FAR for this, but I've read a number of crew manuals that state if one safety card cannot be provided per seat, the minimum to be provided is one card per seat grouping (i.e. two cards per row for 3-3, three cards for 3-3-3).

14CFR121.571(b) states as follows:

(b) Each certificate holder must carry on each passenger-carrying airplane, in convenient locations for use of each passenger, printed cards supplementing the oral briefing. Each card must contain information pertinent only to the type and model of airplane used for that flight, including—

(1) Diagrams of, and methods of operating, the emergency exits;

(2) Other instructions necessary for use of emergency equipment; and

(3) No later than June 12, 2005, for Domestic and Flag scheduled passenger-carrying flights, the sentence, “Final assembly of this airplane was completed in (INSERT NAME OF COUNTRY).”

Tod

Markhkg

Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:16 am

Quoting EL-AL (Reply 48):
Sorry, there is no way of earth that this may ever happen. Safety cards has no real job our days, an 200 tons airliner fall out of the sky from 37.000 feet high - is the safety card really gonna do something? Do you remember sometime in history of modern aviation that the safety card saved someone's life? Half the the passengers on board don't even read it, or so I believe.

Studies post-accident, conducted by the NTSB, have indicated that passengers that read safety cards or pay attention to safety briefings are less likely to be seriously injured (or killed). Additionally, it is important that if you are in an exit row to study the safety card or placards.

Check out an interesting presentation here (PDF file)
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

rdwelch

Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:33 am

Quoting MarkHKG (Reply 38):
Things like improper brace positions (outstretched hands or legs braced against the front seat) and other disturbing pictures back in the day when carriers didn't know better.

Maybe someone replaced the card with an insert from the Book of Kamasutra (sic) and the UHF freq of 246.9.

Gus
They say I have ADD, but they don't understand..Oh look! A chicken!

rikkus67

Thu Jan 04, 2007 1:52 am

Quoting HZ747300 (Reply 35):
So the airlines aren't really responsible for the crappy pictures on safety cards?

AsstChiefMark... There are two major safety card design companies in the US, and a couple here in Canada. Airlines can go to one of these, or design the cards in-house. When I worked with a major "LCC" here in Canada, my partner and I made at least six 2 hour (by car) trips to the head office to nail down the initial design. Once we had that, we were able to use some of the graphics over for other aircraft types...thus the reason you may recognize certain items in cards for different aircraft types.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 39):
Oooo I like those designs your company makes! Very clear graphics, colorful, descriptive and thorough

MarkHKG...

Why thankyou so much! Been doing this since 1999... If you know of any airlines that might be interested... LOL!
AC.WA.CP.DL.RW.CO.WG.WJ.WN.KI.FL.SK.ACL.UA.US.F9

PHLBOS

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:20 am

Quoting Funflyer (Reply 15):
Quoting Francoflier (Reply 12):
107.3 Mhz is the very end of the FM frequency band, I guess they show that one because it is highly unprobable that any station would be broadcasting on that frequency

Up here in New Hampshire it is actually a rock station, I think it is out of Boston though.

I believe the station you're referring to is WAAF; which is based out of Worcester.

As far as 103.7 is concerned. Back in the late 80s (not sure if this is still the case); there was a rock station based in Westerly, Rhode Island that used the 103.7 frequency... WRX.

Quoting Ikramerica (Reply 39):
Quoting Crownvic (Reply 36):
When the airlines bring back postcards and timetables

And playing cards and wings for kids without asking and coasters and etc...

checkmark 
The only time I've recently seen a F/A give a deck of playing cards to a passenger was on a WN PHL-BDL flight I was on last summer.
"TransEastern! You'll feel like you've never left the ground because we treat you like dirt!" SNL Parady ad circa 1981

EL-AL

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:31 am

Quoting Tod (Reply 50):
No later than June 12, 2005, for Domestic and Flag scheduled passenger-carrying flights, the sentence, “Final assembly of this airplane was completed in (INSERT NAME OF COUNTRY).”

Any idea why?
every day is a good day to fly

146crew

Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:36 am

Quoting Wukka (Reply 9):
As much as you hate to think it; yeah, you probably were.

You've also been delayed by Mr. Business getting a last-minute cup of coffee, Cappy trying to finish his sudoku before flight-check, Grammy stuck on the dumper with Montezuma, and a 3 year-old that left his Hot-Wheel on his seat at the gate.

Welcome to life.

And welcome to my respected users list!
Cross check complete.

BrianDromey

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:21 am

Quoting Captainsimon (Reply 22):
On the new Ryanair 738s the safety card is made of plastic and id stuck on the back of the seat in front, I was told these are stuck on with very strong 3m backing and peeling them off would destroy the sticker.

Yeup, tis true, along with yellow overhead bins and blue seats. They had an awful problem with ppl stealing them as well!

In fact ALL FR 738s now feature the safety cards stuck onto the back of the seat. Youd be surprised at how many are missing corners!

As were at it does any one know why the newer deliveries to the Ryanair fleet have the life vests in the underside of the overheads? Surely ppl were not stealing those as well? Well I suppose if the fare is 0.01 + tax.......

[Edited 2007-01-03 19:32:16]

Tod

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:27 am

Quoting EL-AL (Reply 55):
Quoting Tod (Reply 50):
No later than June 12, 2005, for Domestic and Flag scheduled passenger-carrying flights, the sentence, “Final assembly of this airplane was completed in (INSERT NAME OF COUNTRY).”

Any idea why?

Anti - Airbus politicians  Yeah sure

Tod

Markhkg

Thu Jan 04, 2007 3:33 am

Quoting Rdwelch (Reply 52):
Maybe someone replaced the card with an insert from the Book of Kamasutra

That would TOTALLY make people read these cards more...just to see if they got a "surprise"
 Silly
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

jamesjimlb

Thu Jan 04, 2007 6:31 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 4):
Quoting Travatl (Reply 3):
Oh brother.... .

I'll remember your comment, next time I'm asked to pay attention to a safety breifing.

oh please, it's not like if you take one it's gone. i'm sure they have plenty more! and for the station it might just be the president of the FAA's favorite channel!  smile 
The sky is no longer the limit, but the mere minimum

chuchoteur

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:57 pm

I like the Ryanair "pax proof" concept.

stick the safety instructions where people will be forced to look and can't remove from the a/c.

the life vests in the PSU channel is quite a good idea as well (hey, you don't *have* a PSU, so use the empty space!).
life vests stored under seats get dirty, get stolen, and get damaged. up there, you can immediately see if they've been tampered with, and at least it's stored in half decent conditions...

grandtheftaero

Fri Jan 05, 2007 12:23 am

http://www.foxmovies.com/fightclub/flightcard_big.jpg

wingnut135

Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:12 am

Thanks GrandTheftAero!!  bigthumbsup 

Wingnut
A good friend will get you out of jail. A real friend will be there with you saying, "Damn that was fun!"

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos