raffik
Topic Author

Booked Flights With EZY- Now Asking For More Money

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:19 pm

Last year I booked 3 return flights with Easyjet from Gatwick to Copenhagen at £43 per ticket.

However, I got an email 2 days ago saying the following and asking for another £15 or they would not let me fly. Are they legally able to retrospectivley charge me for this??

This is the email..

Your booking reference: xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dear Raffik,

You may have heard that the Chancellor, Gordon Brown, recently announced that Air Passenger Duty (APD) - a tax implemented, controlled and collected by the UK Government - is due to increase on all flights departing from UK airports after 1 February 2007.

We're very sorry to tell you that unfortunately this affects your booking with the above reference.

easyJet was one of many airlines which lobbied the Government hard not to increase the tax on flying. Contrary to what the Chancellor said, we do not believe that increasing APD is an effective environmental tax and is simply a means for the Government to raise additional revenue. However, we have no choice but to implement this tax increase and we must collect the additional tax per departing passenger from you.

Please click here to visit easyJet.com and provide the additional payment before 15 January 2007.

If you have a question regarding the increase in APD, please phone our national rate number at 10p per minute (calls from mobiles or other networks may vary) 08712 44 23 66 .

We apologise for the need to ask you for the additional payment at this stage, but hope that you appreciate that this is beyond our control.

Your easyJet team.

Important Note: when you booked your flight the terms and conditions you accepted did state that if taxes and charges outside of our control were raised before your flight departed, we would have to pass on the cost to you. Failure to make the additional APD payment may result in you not being allowed to take your flight. Click here to view easyJet Terms and Conditions.
- Alec

anax

RE: Booked Flights With EZY- Now Asking For More Money

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:34 pm

Quoting Raffik (Thread starter):
Are they legally able to retrospectivley charge me for this??

yes they are, you accepted it when you booked

Important Note: when you booked your flight the terms and conditions you accepted did state that if taxes and charges outside of our control were raised before your flight departed, we would have to pass on the cost to you. Failure to make the additional APD payment may result in you not being allowed to take your flight. Click here to view easyJet Terms and Conditions

tricky of them , because nobody reads terms and conditions...
god is a spotter!!!

pilotdude09

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:36 pm

Important Note: when you booked your flight the terms and conditions you accepted did state that if taxes and charges outside of our control were raised before your flight departed, we would have to pass on the cost to you. Failure to make the additional APD payment may result in you not being allowed to take your flight. Click here to view easyJet Terms and Conditions.

Yup, it was in your terms and conditions, sometimes it is handy to read them regarding your rights, i suggest you take a look at them. Im not sure about UK law but im sure they wouldnt be asking you to pay it otherwise.

If your still in doubt give them a call.
Qantas, Still calling Australia Home.........

egmcman

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:40 pm

Last year I booked 3 return flights with Easyjet from Gatwick to Copenhagen at £43 per ticket.

However, I got an email 2 days ago saying the following and asking for another £15 or they would not let me fly. Are they legally able to retrospectively charge me for this??

The interesting thing about this is that BA passengers would not have pay for this. I am sure they (U2) decided it would cost them them too much because of the increase in air passenger duty rather than pay for it out of their own pockets. U2 make an average of £2.32 in profit for each traveller according to taday's finance section the of Mail on Sunday.

Joost

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:43 pm

I found that for example BA has a similar article in their T&Cs. Are there any A.net members that received similar e-mails from other carriers?

egmcman

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:45 pm

Quoting Joost (Reply 4):
I found that for example BA has a similar article in their T&Cs

Yes, but in the same situation BA & BD have decided not to ask the travellers for the extra money.

ANother

Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:47 pm

Squeezy has guaranteed your airfare but cannot guarantee that any taxes imposed by governments will not change between the time you pay for the ticket and the day you fly.

The UK government did this, and unlike previous times, had the increase apply based upon date of travel, rather than date of sale. This tax applies to all airlines serving the UK. Had the three of you been flying longhaul in Business or First the increase would have been GBP120.

The culprit is not Squeezy, but your friend Gordon Brown. Not only is the tax unjustified, it is being implemented in a most unfriendly way. It would have been very simple for him to have said "this applies to all tickets issued after xxx". The airlines have appealed to HM Treasury and have been told, in the nicest possible way, to get stuffed.

Joost

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:21 pm

How about Ryanair? Will they charge the extra costs, or incur it themselves?

I can imagine, for the carriers it's quite an expensive operations; setting up a website part for it, hiring extra people in the call center, the costs they have to pay to the likes of MasterCard, etc, etc.

I agree, a tax added on bookings made after a certain date would be way better for everybody.

raffik
Topic Author

Sun Jan 07, 2007 9:44 pm

I grant that it's not entirely Easyjet's fault and they shouldn't be burdened by the total cost, but a good will jesture of absorbing maybe 50% of the fees for people who had already booked would have been good on their part.

It's not that it's a lot of money (£15) but when you book something and agree a price on something, it's a bit of a shock when several months down the line, you receive an email demanding additional money!

Quoting ANother (Reply 6):
your friend Gordon Brown

He's no friend of mine!
- Alec

Joost

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:03 pm

Quoting Raffik (Reply 8):
but a good will jesture of absorbing maybe 50% of the fees for people who had already booked would have been good on their part.

Although it sounds good, I doubt it's efficient. Based on the transaction fees a company I work for pays for small payments, and taking into account that easyJet might have a slightly better deal, I estimate that their overhead costs will be somehwere between GBP 1.00 and GBP 1.60 per transaction. When it's about 1 person flying and they absorb half of the price, they still pay almost everything.

Next to that, I imagine they really want to show that is all about the government.

ThePRGuy

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:10 pm

Quoting Joost (Reply 7):

What do you think?
LOL!
Heathrow has been described as the only building site to have its own airport.

GSM763

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:13 pm

Quoting Joost (Reply 7):

I would doubt it but I am due to fly PIK-HHN-PIK in mid Feb and am yet to recieve an email telling me anything. Doubtless they'll just demand we slap down £20 at check-in.

raffik
Topic Author

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:17 pm

Quoting GSM763 (Reply 11):
Doubtless they'll just demand we slap down £20 at check-in.

I can picture people turning up at the airport who don't know about the charge and getting into big arguments with check in staff...

What about back packers/ students/ people who don't have the cash to spare?
- Alec

Joost

RE: Booked Flights With EZY- Now Asking For More M

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:39 pm

Quoting Raffik (Reply 12):
What about back packers/ students/ people who don't have the cash to spare?

Most students I know can have money when it's really necesary. After all, GBP 5 is only 2 pints of beer  Wink

I see a lot of hassle. Usually, I spend my last foreign money at the airport or just before. Imagine ATMs at the airports running out of money, check-in not accepting foreign debit or credit cards, etc, etc.

ANother

RE: Booked Flights With EZY- Now Asking For More M

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:03 pm

Interesting analysis by IATA here. (pdf). Some of the key points:

• Taxing passengers with APD will only reduce greenhouse gas emissions by discouraging travel. There is no direct financial incentive for efficiency or technological improvements. APD is a very blunt instrument with which to tackle aviation’s climate change impacts;

• By discouraging travel there is also a cost to economic development. The Oxford Economics study recently published showed that for every 10% gain in business travellers there is a long-run boost to GDP of 0.6% due to the benefits from increased investment and productivity. The business travel discouraged by this rise in APD is estimated to cause a loss to UK GDP of over £400 million;
    Airline passengers and shareholders will also lose. Passengers will pay an extra 2.3-4.4% on top of their fare. Airline shareholders will face a £1.1 billion loss of revenues as a result of the consequent loss of passengers;

• We estimate that passenger numbers will be 4.3 million lower next year on UK-EU markets than they would otherwise have been, a 6.2% loss. On long-haul markets the estimated loss of 0.9 million passengers represents 3.4% of the market. Economy passengers will be most price sensitive and we estimate these passengers to be 5.1 million lower next year, a 5.9% reduction. Premium passengers will be less affected with a 152,000 reduction, a loss of 1.6%;

• The loss to airlines and their shareholders will vary according to market and class:

• Short-haul revenues will suffer more than long-haul because of the larger percentage rise in APD over average fares. We estimate short haul revenues will be cut over 6% from where they would otherwise have been in 2007. Long-haul will be down over 3%;

• Economy revenues will also suffer far more than business because of their greater sensitivity to price. We estimate that economy revenues will be down over 5% compared to a loss of just over 1% for premium revenues;

• Low fare airlines will also suffer more since the percentage rise in the cost of travelling with them will be proportionately higher. Ryanair’s average return fare last year was £61 which implies a 8% rise in the cost of travel facing its passengers, compared with the average 4.4% rise on the average £115 return fare on UK-EU routes. Low fare airline passengers are also likely to be more price sensitive so there will be more than twice the loss of passengers and revenues, all other things being equal, than for the average airline.

You want this guy to be Prime Minister?

lincoln

Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:25 pm

Quoting Raffik (Reply 8):
I grant that it's not entirely Easyjet's fault and they shouldn't be burdened by the total cost, but a good will jesture of absorbing maybe 50% of the fees for people who had already booked would have been good on their part.

I'm not sure that there would really be that much good will gained from absorbing anything less than the full amount - which clearly they've determined is not worth more than passing the cost along.

After all, if you're only paying $5 instead of $10 (or whatever), the first thought running through your mind is going to be those "f---ing b------s are raising the price on me after I bought the ticket" instad of "gee, how nice of them, they're only taking an extra $5 from me".

Or at least, I think that's how most Americans would think of it (and I know those in Europe don't always think the same way as the average American); if there is going to be an overall negative reaction whatever the cost, why would they 'eat' some of it themselves?

Just my $0.00002 (USD)

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

Joost

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:56 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 14):
Interesting analysis by IATA here. (pdf). Some of the key points:

Keep in mind who is writing the article: an organization representing airlines.

Taxing passengers with APD will only reduce greenhouse gas emissions by discouraging travel.

Why is this essentially bad? It has become normal in recent years, to travel at least 600 km for a weekend break. Is it fun? Yes. Is it essential for our society and economy as a whole (for example, in a Europa-context)? No. Although some regions have developed strong tourism industries and are dependent from this industry, in a broader context it's not essential. It is polluting. You can argue that traveling by aircraft on a 600 km distance is equally environmental-(un)friendly as train or car, but traveling 100 km is better environmental wise. Like 10 years ago.

In Germany, for domestic air travel, and likely to be expanded to German-Dutch air travel, there is a EUR 10 tax per segment, just to decourage using the plane on such short distances.

There is no direct financial incentive for efficiency or technological improvements.

That's a valid point and here, indeed, a CO2 trading schema would work better, agreed. But that will take many years from now still.

By discouraging travel there is also a cost to economic development.

Economic development and environment usually don't go together. Another report was published today, claiming that the EU as a whole would need a 0.92% economic shrink in order to obtain the wanted emissions.

Airline shareholders will face a £1.1 billion loss of revenues as a result of the consequent loss of passengers;

When a polluting factory needs to be closed, there is also a loss for shareholders. There isn't any win-win.

The business travel discouraged by this rise in APD is estimated to cause a loss to UK GDP of over £400 million;

What's the expected environmental profit?

Low fare airlines will also suffer more since the percentage rise in the cost of travelling with them will be proportionately higher. Ryanair’s average return fare last year was £61 which implies a 8% rise in the cost of travel facing its passengers

Like I started my post with: except for the budget travelers (including myself, don't get me wrong) who will pay a few Euro's more, what is the real problem? By the way, a often-known mistake IMO is only calculating the air fare change as a decision-influencing price variable.

Take a weekend break for two. (just personal averages)

Air fare, 2x GBP 60 = 120
Surface transport, including public transport = GBP 40
Hotel 2x GBP 70 = 140
Food, pubs, theater = 200
(still cheap)
total: 500. Extra tax GBP 10. Not a 8% change in price, but a 2% increase. Quite different outcomes.

And the people who won't fly anymore but will holiday somewhere closer: from a broad perspective: how bad is that? Should we put economic growth and shareholder value above everything?

By the way, I am absolutely against the way how the tax is imposed, that's simply ridiculous; it should be for bookings from a certain date.

Sketty222

Tue Jan 09, 2007 4:09 am

Quoting ANother (Reply 6):
The culprit is not Squeezy, but your friend Gordon Brown

Like Raffik said, he's no friend of mine!!!

Last November I booked for me and he wife to go to Paris and read the terms and conditions that Easyjet have thinking that nothing would come of them.
I was a bit shocked when at the beginning of December the lovely Mr Brown stated he was introducing this APD charge. I was waiting and waiting for some sort of communication from Easyjet and nothing came from them so I thought they were absorbing the cost.
Low and behold the email arrived on Saturday morning 0727am stating they needed my money.
I paid of course as I want to travel but was really surprised to see U2 passing on this cost

Does anyone know if charter airlines are absorbing the cost or passing it onto their customers?

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

express1

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:33 pm

Gorden Brown is out to get our money,and he is gonna be worse than Blair.

but why should passengers like myself and my wife who have paid for our trip to Rome back in December 06 for Feb 19th flight out pay the extra airport tax rise,this to me dont make sence what so ever. Ryanair said on the news this morning, passengers who dont pay the extra tax,(even those who paid well in advanced) will not fly.

how pathetic is that?

dave
David.S cavanagh since 1961,if you can do better,then show me.

dstc47

Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:36 pm

Joost said

"..You can argue that traveling by aircraft on a 600 km distance is equally environmental-(un)friendly as train or car, but traveling 100 km is better environmental wise"

Yes, but if you stay at home and only mix with your near neighbours you may become dangerously narrow in your opinions.
Of course, if you live on the continent of Europe you could walk, or cycle, a long way if young and fit with little environmental impact.

However, if you live on an island,as some of us do and you need to make a couple of stops to get to most parts of the world, for business or pleasure, airport taxes enter a little more in your reality. In theory, transit passengers via the UK should not pay twice, but given the near total mess that this increase has provoked already, I am not very optimistic that Mr G Brown will not get a lot more money out of my long pre-booked trip via London, on two separate tickets as it is not possible to interline.

raventom

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:42 pm

I love the smell of burnt kerosene!!!!!!!!!!!!

Demoose

Sat Jan 13, 2007 9:48 pm

I raised this issue a month ago, I can't believe the government have left it so late, this chaos was bound to happen. I'm flying with BMI and Virgin Atlantic in a month, but I booked the flights the week before the increase in air tax was announced so I'm still in the dark as to whether i'll have to pay extra as both BMI and VS have yet to announce their stance on the matter, they're leaving it very late to sort out!
Take a ride...fly across the sky

swiftski

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:47 pm

Quoting Demoose (Reply 21):
I raised this issue a month ago, I can't believe the government have left it so late, this chaos was bound to happen. I'm flying with BMI and Virgin Atlantic in a month, but I booked the flights the week before the increase in air tax was announced so I'm still in the dark as to whether i'll have to pay extra as both BMI and VS have yet to announce their stance on the matter, they're leaving it very late to sort out!

I have just called Virgin Upper Class Reservations who passed me onto customer services, who then double checked my phone number and said that they would contact me "in a week" re: LHR-JFK-LHR on March 15 & 24th.

I'm flying Ryanair to Stockholm next week, so that should be ok I think.

theginge

Sat Jan 13, 2007 10:54 pm

Robber Brown is claiming that this will encourage people to fly less, doesn't help when a lot of people have already bought the tickets and they try to apply it retrospectivly!!

Below is a link to an excellent article, lots of vaild points. Perhaps Greenies and politicians should take note more!!

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,1061-2541214,00.html

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos