Topic Author

OA Its Going To Stop JNB For HKG

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:00 am

Is a rumour in LGAV that OA want to suspend JNB that now fly 3 times weekly for HKG that will be a big mistake becasue in South Africa leave a big Greek community and also it have to be this service daily on the other hand if OA fly to HKG will fly for Folie Follie and the Greek Duty Free Company but also the managers they do not make an agreement with the local (KA) for flights in China.

Kevin777

RE: OA Its Going To Stop JNB For HKG

Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:07 am

Quoting 1981 (Thread starter):
Is a rumour in LGAV that OA want to suspend JNB that now fly 3 times weekly for HKG that will be a big mistake becasue in South Africa leave a big Greek community and also it have to be this service daily on the other hand if OA fly to HKG will fly for Folie Follie and the Greek Duty Free Company but also the managers they do not make an agreement with the local (KA) for flights in China.

Eh.... excuse me, first of all just do a brief gramma check, and use , and . !!  Smile

There is a significant Greek expatriate in S.A., but - and correct me if I'm wrong - AFAIK this has been shrinking heavily in recent years, as many Greek expats have returned home after economic conditions have improved so much in Greece. Maybe this has something to do with it.

Also, just as a piece of advice to you, it can be a good idea - before just calling it the most stupid idea ever to launch HKG and discontinue JNB - to ask yourself the question: What good reasons could there be for it? Granted, OA isn't a textbook case in good airline management, but still, they must to some extend have their reasons.

Kevin777  Wink
"I was waiting for you at DFW, but you must have been in LUV" CPH-HAM-CPH CR9

OA260

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:27 am

Firstly Kevin777 your English maybe alot better than 1981's so chill out.

1981 your English is fine , I wish my Greek was as good as your English!!!

I dont think OA can afford to serve cities anymore just because there is a Greek community there. The Greeks in Africa are getting smaller and smaller and I dont think it supports a route. I believe that alot of JNB -ATH traffic are connecting to other EU cities these days. Its all about profits so if they think HKG will be a better revenue maker than JNB then I guess HKG it has to be and unless they get another A340 something has to give.

I hope if this is true that it is the right decision or it could be a disaster.

Alitalia744

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting Kevin777 (Reply 1):
Eh.... excuse me, first of all just do a brief gramma check, and use , and . !!

echo the comments on the grammar - not everyone's first language is English and some people may still be learning.

Mistake in some ways - you're right JNB has a large Greek population, we'll see how it plays out.

Pou sthn Ellada eisai?
Some see lines, others see between the lines.

andz

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:53 am

brief gramma check

Eh... excuse me, the word is grammar.
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

alitis

Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:55 am

If they stop JNB, it wouldnt be for lack of aircaft. Lets see, 4 A340's, one for JFK, one for YUL and YYZ, one for HKG, and one for JNB. WHere would they put the one thats gets free'd up by cancelling the JNB route?

-Alitis

[Edited 2007-01-08 17:56:10]

[Edited 2007-01-08 18:04:15]

flyyul

Tue Jan 09, 2007 2:44 am

Lets look at this way,

A340's
1.) JNB is 3/7 and YYZYUL is 4/7.. so that is 1 airplane right there
2.) LHR 1 airplane (inefficient)
3.) JFK 8/7
4.) back-up? - maintenance liability (This is why we periodically see the 340's in CDG as well).

PanAm747

Tue Jan 09, 2007 5:41 am

Remember the first lesson in airline management: "It's now how many seats you fill, it's how much you get for those seats!!"

It is always about yield, not about capacity.

Despite the saying in Greece nowadays that "Greeks don't let Greeks fly Olympic", it appears as though Olympic management has determined that HKG is a higher business market, and therefore a better use of aircraft.

Out of curiousity, what other airlines/routes could one use to fly JNB-ATH (without going too far out of the way)? EK comes to mind...how about AZ?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

OA260

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:20 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 7):
"Greeks don't let Greeks fly Olympic",

I have never heard that saying just for the record! It cant be used by that many !! I know many others though over the years.

Alot of people would use LH suprisingly enough via FRA.

PanAm747

Tue Jan 09, 2007 7:02 am

Quote:
I have never heard that saying just for the record! It cant be used by that many !! I know many others though over the years.

I can tell you only what I have been told - the teacher next door to me travels to Greece every year. While I don't book her tickets, she always has me print the schedule so that she has the "timetable" so to speak, when she flies from Athens to Channia and Thessaloniki.

Summer of 2005 I printed the schedule for Olympic's flights. When she got to Greece, her family was horrified that she was even thinking of flying OA. They wouldn't hear of it - they insisted she fly Aegean, and to her delight she found it to be extremely pleasant.

She reported to me that her family used that phrase to her. Whether that's the judgement of the population of Hèllas or just grumblings of bad experience, I don't know. But from what I've read here at a.net, it sounds more true than false.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

OA412

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:32 am

Eh.... excuse me, first of all just do a brief gramma [sic] check, and use , and

If you're going to criticize somebody's knowledge of English grammar, at least learn to spell the language. This is an international message board meaning that not everyone's knowledge of the English language is going to be at the same level so cut the guy some slack.
Hughes Airwest - Top Banana In The West

Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:38 am

You know that the problems starts when OA take out from service A300B4-200
because some destinations in Europe are high density and far such as LHR/CDG/FRA/AMS/BRU OA have to held the 3 A300-605R and take some more A340-300 and restart flights to ORD & BOS
But also you have to know that is a large Greek Community that leve in South Africa according the data of Minitsry of Foreign Affairs and generaly in africa ET have to held a flight from ATH to ADD for connections inside Africa ADD is a hub according to my opinion for African Capital's
- Question OA260 this nickname! You love this specific flight or OA or even the Greek's
I love to get in Dublin i heard that is beautiful city
- Alitalia 744 you are Greek (Geia sou patriwti)

OA260

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:55 am

1981 I have Greek family and I used to work for OA . OA260 is the LHR to ATH flight I always used to take. So that explains it !!!! Yes Ireland and Dublin is a nice place to live, we have our problems here but it is much better to live here than in UK in my opinion and the wages are good here and the people nice. Ego milao mono ligo Ellinika!!!!

Topic Author

Tue Jan 09, 2007 9:31 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 12):
1981 I have Greek family and I used to work for OA . OA260 is the LHR to ATH flight I always used to take. So that explains it !!!! Yes Ireland and Dublin is a nice place to live, we have our problems here but it is much better to live here than in UK in my opinion and the wages are good here and the people nice. Ego milao mono ligo Ellinika!!!!

Esy ligo Ellinika me good English and also som Turkish because due to my surname my ancestors come from Konstantinoupoli (Istanbul) it was Greek's that live for generations.

GuyBetsy1

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:07 am

Wouldn't it be more logical to fly to places where Greeks want to go ?

Like reinstating perhaps ATH-BKK-MEL again... guess where is the 2nd largest Greek population in the world??

planemanofnz

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:29 am

Quoting GuyBetsy1 (Reply 14):

Like reinstating perhaps ATH-BKK-MEL again... guess where is the 2nd largest Greek population in the world??

VFR Traffic does not work. QF have tried it and said it did not work either. This will be a route for JQ maybe after 2010.

ATH-HKG will be a great route for OA. I am sure it will make a hell of alot more money than JNB ever will!

6thfreedom

Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:01 pm

Greece is a land of 10 million people, and an ageing population.
Therefore, there is little point in serving a small outbound market from Greece.

I think OA is doing the right thing of focussing on growth markets.

China is booming, and the Chinese will travel to Greece.
a HKG service also captures the lucrative Japanese market.
OA should also consider a codeshare with CX over HKG to MEL and SYD, where CX operates or will operate triple daily from October 2007.

As noted in the Etihad thread, GF is likely to suspend Australian ops, so OA should consider another partner rather than GF on which it currently codeshares.

anax

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:02 pm

OA stopped the Australia route on very bad economics , though flights were full.
JNB flights have big load factors and good results. Indeed , OA doesn't keep the JNB flight for the Greek community , but more for connecting pax from Europe. 65-70 % of pax on each flight are from connections.
HKG is a bigger market , and the risk for OA smaller since they will be "sponsored" by two companies (Hellenic Duty Free Shops and Folli Follie) for the first year. They are in the process of making an agreement with Dragonair for domestic connections in China and Cathay Pacific for international connections , specially NRT , MNL , and SYD.
Frame availability is a different story. remember that OA used to serve 5 long haul destinations with 4 frames. JFK 9/7 , YYZ 4/7 , BOS 2/7 , JNB 2/7 and SYD 3/7.
Dropping SYD and BOS , left them with one A343 underused. Mistake of selling two AB6s to IR ( SX-BEK and SX-BEL) left them with no high capacity a/c for LHR and CDG , routes with high traffic and demand , traditionally served by AB6s. Hence the A343 there.
Now they are looking for 5 frames to lease (probably 737s) to cover up the capacity and release the A343 from LHR/CDG.
But guys , you know the story.... We are Greeks , and like to do things the very last moment. So i'm not worried at all.....
just seat back and relax a' neters. OA will do the miracle once again.....
god is a spotter!!!

OA260

Tue Jan 09, 2007 6:26 pm

Quoting Anax (Reply 17):
But guys , you know the story.... We are Greeks , and like to do things the very last moment. So i'm not worried at all.....
just seat back and relax a' neters. OA will do the miracle once again.....

Yeah true , like the Olympics , everyone said we wouldnt be ready and it turned out it was the one of the best ever yet.

Will be a shame to see the A340 off the LHR route.

Kevin777

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:06 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 2):
Firstly Kevin777 your English maybe alot better than 1981's so chill out.

Quoting OA412,reply=10:
Eh.... excuse me, first of all just do a brief gramma [sic] check, and use , and

If you're going to criticize somebody's knowledge of English grammar, at least learn to spell the language. This is an international message board meaning that not everyone's knowledge of the English language is going to be at the same level so cut the guy some slack.

1981 your English is fine , I wish my Greek was as good as your English!!!

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 3):
echo the comments on the grammar - not everyone's first language is English and some people may still be learning.

Look, guys, I'm very sorry that you all took my brief comment so offensive. I thought I made it clear that this wasn't an offensive remark by the  Smile. Of course I don't care about small errors in the spelling or whatever, but I honestly just thought the post was confusing to read; hence I just recommended a rough grammaR check, and maybe some more use of . and , in the future. That's ALL. Sorry you all got so pissed. Alitalia744: Yes some people are still learning, including me learning to spell grammar, and I was just giving 1981 a few tips.  Smile

It's now how many seats you fill, it's how much you get for those seats!!"

It is always about yield, not about capacity.

checkmark 

Despite the saying in Greece nowadays that "Greeks don't let Greeks fly Olympic", it appears as though Olympic management has determined that HKG is a higher business market, and therefore a better use of aircraft

Seems reasonable.

I think most airlines, especially European ones, are better off leaving Australian services to others. Large Greek expat community or not, yields on Australia are so terrible (and only likely to get worse), that it wouldn't work for OA.

Kevin777

OA260

Tue Jan 09, 2007 8:47 pm

Quoting Kevin777 (Reply 19):
Look, guys, I'm very sorry that you all took my brief comment so offensive

No probs we were not that pissed lol, its alot harder for Greeks to learn English, different Alphabet and even the structure is totally different. If you translate direct from Greek to English it will not make any sense most of he time. Danish is closer and often most Danes speak better English than the English do...

Your right about Australia , even OS pulled out. Its a specific market and unless your already well established and have a good product then its hard to break into. OA had to get out of MEL and SYD otherwise it would have definately gone bust!!

Alitalia744

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:27 pm

Quoting Kevin777 (Reply 19):
Alitalia744: Yes some people are still learning, including me learning to spell grammar, and I was just giving 1981 a few tips.

s'all good, just have to stick up for the my fellow greeks!

Kevin777

Wed Jan 10, 2007 1:43 am

Quoting Alitalia744 (Reply 21):
s'all good, just have to stick up for the my fellow greeks!

No probs! But now I'm just curious, why are you Alitalia744 then? Shouldn't you be OA340 or something ?!?!?

Kevin777

OA260

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:03 am

Hes a Greek with a Bulvgari watch LOL

Alitalia744

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:14 am

Quoting Kevin777 (Reply 22):
No probs! But now I'm just curious, why are you Alitalia744 then? Shouldn't you be OA340 or something ?!?!?

I'm Greek/Italian (Dad's from Athens, Mom's of Italian descent) who used to love Alitalia...

Long story!

WesternA318

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:22 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 23):
Hes a Greek with a Bulvgari watch LOL

Hey now, I resemble that remark!  bigthumbsup 

olympic707

Wed Jan 10, 2007 3:38 am

Quoting Anax (Reply 17):
Dropping SYD and BOS , left them with one A343 underused. Mistake of selling two AB6s to IR ( SX-BEK and SX-BEL) left them with no high capacity a/c for LHR and CDG , routes with high traffic and demand , traditionally served by AB6s. Hence the A343 there.
Now they are looking for 5 frames to lease (probably 737s) to cover up the capacity and release the A343 from LHR/CDG.

I think it would be better for OA to lease / buy bigger aircraft than 737.
I.e. A300-600 or A321.
Selling the two A300-600 to Iran air is a mistake.

Yanni
Fly Olympic - Aviation GREEK STYLE!

OA260

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting Olympic707 (Reply 26):
Selling the two A300-600 to Iran air is a mistake.

Yeah was a crazy idea. They should as you said get some to cover CDG /LHR

anax

Wed Jan 10, 2007 6:37 am

that's where the greek miracle becomes greek tragedy. in OA from " they should" to what they actually do , or better said, from what it has to be done to what the result is, there is a biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig big big distance.
god is a spotter!!!

Topic Author

Wed Jan 10, 2007 7:50 am

I think for high density European destination A/C the best is to get from LH some AB6 for FRA/CDG/LHR & FCO AZ have 4xDaily flights FCO-ATH-FCO & MXP also the same.

ordryan28

Wed Jan 10, 2007 8:05 am

Quoting 1981 (Reply 11):
and take some more A340-300 and restart flights to ORD

OA never flew to ORD, sadly. Although there were rumors they wanted to start an ORD route, last year.

I'd certainly love the opportunity to spot OA at ORD, though!  bigthumbsup 
Whoever said winning is not everything never fought cancer.

anax

Wed Jan 10, 2007 5:06 pm

Quoting 1981 (Reply 29):
I think for high density European destination A/C the best is to get from LH some AB6 for FRA/CDG/LHR & FCO AZ have 4xDaily flights FCO-ATH-FCO & MXP also the same.

LH woudn't sell their AB6s , since they have no alternative for intra european high density , or medium haul. The A330 is just too big for domestics in Germany or for FRA-LHR , plus they need it for long haul.
On top of that LH's AB6s are old.
I agree though AB6 is the perfect match for OA on LHR/CDG/AMS , not for FCO/MXP/LIN though.
AZ has all the local market , (or the vast majority of it) , while OA has only connections from South Africa and the Middle East on those routes.

Quoting ORDRyan28 (Reply 30):
OA never flew to ORD, sadly. Although there were rumors they wanted to start an ORD route, last year.

Yes they did. Ages ago though. Service was ATH-JFK-ORD on 742.
But the numbers were not good , so they dropped it.
They started ORD and BEY together that year. I still remember the huge advertising campaign for both cities. (good old times when OA was still advertising)  Sad
god is a spotter!!!

OA260

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:38 am

Hey fellow Ellines (Greeks) is this a real ad OA had or just someone made it up??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ybW5hvVuVo

OA260

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:41 am

Also does anyone know which airport thise is taking off from?? Note the BA 747 in the background!!! Could it be BOS???

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BI-213Zx9Z0

Qantas744er

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 23):
Bulvgari

Its Bvlgari spelled with the old u  Wink

Just messing with you  Silly

Im Italian Big grin

Leo
You live and you die, by the FMA

ordryan28

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting Anax (Reply 31):
Yes they did. Ages ago though. Service was ATH-JFK-ORD on 742.

You're right, I should have rephrased it. they never flew to ORD in my time, sadly..

Thanks for the info, though

olympic707

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:54 pm

Quoting ORDRyan28 (Reply 30):
I'd certainly love the opportunity to spot OA at ORD, though!   

I think OA would do well flying to BWI. Big Greek community in Baltimore and surrounding area.
Love to see the A340 landing on 33L. Big grin

Yanni
Fly Olympic - Aviation GREEK STYLE!

anax

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:00 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 32):
Hey fellow Ellines (Greeks) is this a real ad OA had or just someone made it up??

it must be one of the ads that New York station is doing from time to time , with their own budget.
god is a spotter!!!

ordryan28

Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:04 am

Quoting Olympic707 (Reply 36):
I think OA would do well flying to BWI. Big Greek community in Baltimore and surrounding area.
Love to see the A340 landing on 33L. Big grin

yeah...same here. With their problems now, it's safe to say we won't see expansions under the name "Olympic" anytime soon.  Sad

AF022

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:09 am

Is a rumour in LGAV that OA want to suspend JNB

Has this rumor been confirmed?

GCDEG

Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:39 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 33):
Also does anyone know which airport thise is taking off from?? Note the BA 747 in the background!!! Could it be BOS???

Nope it ain't Boston - it's Lisbon. The OA was bringing in football supporters and the BA 747 was operating their daily flight which was higher than normal in demand due to the football.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © António José Avelar
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Filipe Pires

Quoting OA260 (Reply 32):

I've never seen this being played in Greece before but I might have just missed it each time. To be honest I've never seen an OA advert ever on Greek TV.

Nick
The best thing invented - Winglets!

OA260

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:27 am

Quoting GCDEG (Reply 40):
I've never seen this being played in Greece before but I might have just missed it each time. To be honest I've never seen an OA advert ever on Greek TV.

Nick

Ok thanks , I know this might sound bad but at first I thought it was a joke, the blond who is checking in and travelling looks like a transvestite!!!!LOL

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos