Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

unitedMSY
Topic Author

United To Pull Cocktail Snacks Under 759 Miles

Thu Jan 11, 2007 12:36 pm

Just received a memo that we are to discontinue serving cocktail snacks in United Economy on flights of less than 759 miles on our 170 aircraft. We are told this is a "service standard" that United mainline is starting. Can anyone shed light on this?

gman3

RE: United To Pull Cocktail Snacks Under 759 Miles

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:42 pm

Went into effect on Jan 9th for our mainline. We no longer serve pretzels on flights less than 2 hours. Don't get me started on this one. More money to line our upper mgt pockets me thinks. So out of touch with our passengers.

HB-IWC

Thu Jan 11, 2007 1:51 pm

Why 759 miles? What important route did they want to include that is 758 miles long and could as such not be included if the cut off were to be 750 miles?

MSYtristar

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:01 pm

Wow. This is a great thread for all the AirTran bashers to read. At least FL still gives free pretzels/light snacks to all passengers on all flights.

I would expect something like this from AA or NW...not from UA. That's really too bad.

casinterest

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:02 pm

I noticed I didn't get a snack on the AA RDU--DFW flight the other night either, just a soda. See what happens on the return flight....

Seems the Legacies are working hard to become extinct.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

boswashsprstar

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:19 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 2):
Why 759 miles? What important route did they want to include that is 758 miles long and could as such not be included if the cut off were to be 750 miles?

I've tried every major combination of United hub to major city I can think of and none fall in the 750-759 mile range--but I too am very curious why this cutoff came about. Surely there's a reason for it--United at one point revised their 15,000 mile discounted award tickets from a 750 mile cutoff to a 700 mile cutoff in order to exclude, among other things, ORD-LGA. So they clearly think about this sort of thing.

A starting point of possibilities:
http://gc.kls2.com/cgi-bin/gc?PATH=l...GE-COLOR=navy&MAP-STYLE=&ETOPS=180

CTHEWORLD

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:40 pm

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 4):

Oh come one now airline geeks, not serving a $0.30 bag of pretzels isn't going to do anything to anyone. Decisions about tickets aren't made based on 4 pretzels, well at least no in the real world, where people buy tickets. If you want a bag of pretzels bad enough, pick one up in the terminal, it will be 5x the size of the ones you get on the plane.

Geez, you would think they just announced the world was going to implode in 90 minutes!

RDUDDJI

Thu Jan 11, 2007 2:44 pm

Quoting Gman3 (Reply 1):
More money to line our upper mgt pockets me thinks.

Hmmm, I missed the internal memo about Management receiving the cost savings from the "Pretzel Reduction Act of 2007" as a raise. However, I did see the one about UAL expected to announce a loss for the quarter...maybe this is an attempt to return to profitability...

By the way, I know it has nothing to do with Mgmt or the impending 4Q loss, I was just having some fun with the above inflammatory post.  Smile
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

azncsa4qf744er

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:25 pm

Fair enough, UAX doesn’t serve anything on their shorter route too. I take it 759nm is about 30min to 55min flying time?

Quoting UnitedMSY (Thread starter):
Just received a memo that we are to discontinue serving cocktail snacks in United Economy on flights of less than 759 miles on our 170 aircraft.

Are you referring to 170 aircraft in the fleets, or on the EMB170 type a/c?

S5FA170

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:34 pm

The memo came out to both CHQ and S5 flight attendants this week. It is for all UA and UAX flights under 759 miles, which is approximately 2 and a half hours of flight-time (scheduled, not actual). We've been told the beginning to middle of February is when we will officially discontinue this level of snack service on our flights.
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.

IPFreely

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:38 pm

Does anyone actually eat that savory mix or whatever it's called these days?

planecrazy2

Thu Jan 11, 2007 3:49 pm

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 10):

I always did, this is truly pathetic. I expected something like this from AA, never UA. Sad.
United Airlines - Worldwide Service

flyCMH

Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:48 pm

Quote:

United Express cocktail mix actually comes in THREE delectable varieties: "Savory", "Fiesta", and "Pretzel."  crazy 

Quote:
Oh come one now airline geeks, not serving a $0.30 bag of pretzels isn't going to do anything to anyone.

Exactly. I can't imagine the cost savings of not serving a full beverage service including cocktail snack actually shooting UA back in the black, or relatively close. I do think this is quite a disappointing customer disservice, especially for those that do not have the time to grab a snack or meal prior to boarding for whatever reason, most notably the business traveler. Hopefully this cost saving measure isn't permenant.

CVG777

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:07 pm

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 10):

I did, until I realized that I was eating soy nuts.  crazy 

I have only flown one roundtrip on United (four flights, this past summer), and I got served that nasty snack bag on all four legs. Thank God for airport concessions, where I can get me some real snack mix.  Smile

And no, I do not intend to avoid United becuase they serve crappy snack mix (or no snack mix at all in some cases now).

zvezda

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:12 pm

I'm glad. I didn't like being tempted to eat it and I didn't like the hassle of trying to give it back (few UA FAs pay any attention to whether or not the passenger wants it). I also didn't like leaving it on the armrest drink area to be thrown away later. This is a great way to save money -- even though it will probably end up lining the pockets of the union bosses. Hopefully, they will board some for those who request them.

UAL777UK

Thu Jan 11, 2007 5:52 pm

Quoting FlyCMH (Reply 12):
Exactly. I can't imagine the cost savings of not serving a full beverage service including cocktail snack actually shooting UA back in the black, or relatively close. I do think this is quite a disappointing customer disservice, especially for those that do not have the time to grab a snack or meal prior to boarding for whatever reason, most notably the business traveler. Hopefully this cost saving measure isn't permenant.

oh come on, you make it sound like the pretzels really feel you up and are a meal substitute!!

GHOSTRIDER

Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:52 pm

Actually, this is just sad considering what flying in Y class was like just 10-15 years ago....

airlineaddict

Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:22 pm

Quoting GhostRider (Reply 16):
Actually, this is just sad considering what flying in Y class was like just 10-15 years ago....

No kidding. Who would have thought that Southwest could advertise that their snack service is better than UA for flights under 759 miles?!?

Times have changed!

casinterest

Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:46 pm

Quoting CTHEWORLD (Reply 6):
Oh come one now airline geeks, not serving a $0.30 bag of pretzels isn't going to do anything to anyone. Decisions about tickets aren't made based on 4 pretzels, well at least no in the real world, where people buy tickets

No, it won't affect decisions, but it is the culmination,

Airline miles are harder to get, and worth less,
Pillows and Blankets are mostly gone
No in flight hot meals,
No Pretzels,

Basically, the legacies offer less value for your money than the LCC's. The only think the Legacies have that keep them going is service with express carriers and international routes.

When I have a choice on a flight, I will choose the carrier with the best service. Right now, AA, United, Delta, and US Airways will loose out on flights where I can take Jetblue, Southwest, Airtran, or any other Low Cost Carrier.

The above are all airlines I have flown in the last year, and I can definately say that service counts, especially when flight prices and destinations are comparable.

The 30 cent bag doesn't really matter, but in the grand scheme of customer service, it means a lot more than that, because it could mean the difference in a customer purchasing a 200-400 dollar ticket.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did..So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.--Mark Twain

trex8

Thu Jan 11, 2007 9:52 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 2):

well, ord- new york airports are pretty close to that cutoff.

lincoln

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:07 pm

I would love to know where the 759 mile number came fron, but...

Quoting CasInterest (Reply 18):
No in flight hot meals,
No Pretzels,

I think for the average passenger the bag-o-pretzles won't be noticed [and I'm sure there will be a bag or two on board that you can ask for. When airlines made the swap from peanuts to pretzles, there was a lot of fuss at first but now I wonder how many people even rememeber that peanunts were served way back when

As for the declining service standards and the carrier with the best service, check out Contnental; not only are their crews and ground staff top notch-and as a whole, the most professional bunch I've encountered-but they still have pillows, blankets, hot meals [during meal times], and you usually get pretzles.

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

GHOSTRIDER

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:22 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 20):
As for the declining service standards and the carrier with the best service, check out Contnental; not only are their crews and ground staff top notch-and as a whole, the most professional bunch I've encountered-but they still have pillows, blankets, hot meals [during meal times], and you usually get pretzles.

Of course, even CO's "meals" are getting smaller, but they still offer more to an economy passenger than any domestic airline flying(LCC and Legacy combined)...and when ticket prices are so very comparable as they are these days, those little things make all the difference! (Especially the customer service!)...This is especially why I sincerely hope CO doesn't get caught up in all the merger hype....

mozart

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:40 pm

No in flight hot meals,
No Pretzels,

No pillows and blankets, even in First Class?

Haven't been flying domestic in the US for 2 years now, and reading these stories reminding me of the food situation in the Eastern Block pre 1989 or North Korea - but since I am going soon, I am wondering what to expect.

AA767400

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:51 pm

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 3):
I would expect something like this from AA or NW...not from UA. That's really too bad.

Legacies will be legacies.

Some would say to stay alive.

Oh come one now airline geeks, not serving a $0.30 bag of pretzels isn't going to do anything to anyone. Decisions about tickets aren't made based on 4 pretzels, well at least no in the real world, where people buy tickets. If you want a bag of pretzels bad enough, pick one up in the terminal, it will be 5x the size of the ones you get on the plane.

Right on!  thumbsup 

Quoting UAL777UK (Reply 15):
oh come on, you make it sound like the pretzels really feel you up and are a meal substitute!!

Very true, but I bet if this were about AA you would be bashing it with a bat.

The above are all airlines I have flown in the last year, and I can definately say that service counts, especially when flight prices and destinations are comparable.

You are a rare soul called an aviation geek. Now the rest of the souls care about price, and price ONLY! It has been proven time and time again. The general public will complain and whine about everything, and hop right back on the same airline if it is $2 cheaper.

check out Contnental; not only are their crews and ground staff top notch-and as a whole, the most professional bunch I've encountered-but they still have pillows, blankets, hot meals [during meal times], and you usually get pretzles.

CO is a great airline, but let's face it. They own their own catering which makes having meal/snacks cheaper, and quite easy.  wink 
"The low fares airline."

gman3

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:53 pm

We no longer serve a cocktail snack on ORD-LGA as the actual flight time is under 2 hours. I agree with a previous poster, it is not the pretzels itself, its the whole scheme of things. I have no idea how much of a cost savings it could possibly be. We have quite a few statused pax flying ORD-LGA who can't sit in first and I find it hard to believe that we can not even offer a bag of pretzels. This is just one example. A little bag of pretzels can go along way with passengers. More people than not eat the pretzels.

UAL777UK

Thu Jan 11, 2007 10:55 pm

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 23):
Very true, but I bet if this were about AA you would be bashing it with a bat.

Errrrr........no I wouldn't!!!

CO767

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:30 pm

"In the pax eyes, a busted coffee maker is the same thing as a broken engine. So, FIX THE COFFEE MAKER!"

YULWinterSkies

Thu Jan 11, 2007 11:32 pm

And maybe also to improve the health of the average American Y flyer!
When I doubt... go running!

EXAAUADL

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:29 am

I use to work in the food and beverage for a major carrier and all non-alcoholic drinks combined were onyl $12m per year. Pretzels werent even $.30 each, more like $.02. Savings here will be something on the order of $2m per year tops.

Delta is absolutely lavishing their passengers compared to UA and NW. You get a full sized bag of Sun Chips  Wow!

GHOSTRIDER

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:35 am

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 28):
Delta is absolutely lavishing their passengers compared to UA and NW. You get a full sized bag of Sun Chips

LOL....You know it's a sad day when getting a full size bag of Sun Chips in Y is being "lavished"...then what would you consider CO's Economy offering to be?

USADreamliner

Fri Jan 12, 2007 12:38 am

Quoting GhostRider (Reply 16):

I remember 14 years ago on a AA A300, MIA-JFK, a full meal: salad, bread roll, pasta and cake.

Last year on CO 753, FLL-IAH, a miserable, tiny ( it looked like a sample) blueberry muffin.

Funny how things change. Now russian airlines serve full meals on domestic flights, and we have to pray to get at least a pretzels bag!

planespotting

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:01 am

Quoting AznCSA4QF744ER (Reply 8):
Fair enough, UAX doesn’t serve anything on their shorter route too. I take it 759nm is about 30min to 55min flying time?

Ha! How fast do the planes in your universe fly dude?

During cruise, most airliners have a ground-speed between 400 and 500 nautical miles per hour. Coupled with departure and approach considerations, 759nm is a good two hours block to block, more depending on the time of day, airports involved and east/west flying.
Do you like movies about gladiators?

atlflyer

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:15 am

Truly pathetic...UA is putting them in a class with the best...like AA and NW.

Continental and Delta keep looking better and better thanks to its awful competitors.

S5FA170

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:22 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 14):
Hopefully, they will board some for those who request them

According to our memo - the snacks won't even be put on the aircraft by catering unless the flight goes over 759 miles. I'm not sure if this holds true also for mainline.

The only time they'd be on the plane is if the following leg (before returning to a catering city) is over 759 miles (example: the plane goes IAD-YYZ with no snack service, but following leg is YYZ-DEN - which does get a snack service.) The plane will only be catered for ONE snack service.
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.

Dtw757

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:24 am

Unfortunately this is what flying has come to. At least they still have audio available. I remember the good old days of a short 45 minute flight from DTW-ORD on a DC10 being served the most delicious warm danish for breakfast along with a drink service. I think those days are gone for good.
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

MD95

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:31 am

I would love to know where the 759 mile number came fron

As things are going some VP took the amletic decision so he could justify his salary!
dario

MSYtristar

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:37 am

1992 MSY-DFW on an AA DC10-10 flight #1447....."Breakfast Snack" service....a huge blueberry muffin, yogurt, and a banana...I remember that flight fondly.

AA767400

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:43 am

Quoting ATLflyer (Reply 32):
Continental and Delta keep looking better and better thanks to its awful competitors.

Delta (If still around) can keep their current plan going for only so long. They will be forced to assimilate with the rest to stay healthy.

CO has trimmed down food as well even with their ownership of catering.

Time will tell, but from the looks of it the industry is on a cost-cutting rage.
"The low fares airline."

zvezda

Fri Jan 12, 2007 1:54 am

Quoting DTW757 (Reply 34):
I remember the good old days of a short 45 minute flight from DTW-ORD on a DC10 being served the most delicious warm danish for breakfast along with a drink service. I think those days are gone for good.

Last year I had a four hour overnight flight on SQ. I boarded early and the stewardess handed me a menu. I declined it telling her I needed to sleep. I was served three courses (two of them hot) during boarding and then dessert during taxi.

N1120A

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:00 am

Quoting FlyCMH (Reply 12):
United Express cocktail mix actually comes in THREE delectable varieties: "Savory", "Fiesta", and "Pretzel."

My girlfriend is going to be so upset about this. She loves the Fiesta mix. I fly United pretty exclusively and get her as much Fiesta mix as I can get my hands on.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

atlaaron

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:13 am

You are kidding right? No one cares about the pretzels. Sure there will be a couple comments made to the flight attendants that it is dumb or whatever. But the next time that passenger goes to Expedia to book their ticket, all they are going to look at is the price. If UA is $200 and AA is $220 they aren't going to say "well AA does serve the pretzels".

luv2fly

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:14 am

Quoting AA767400 (Reply 23):
CO is a great airline, but let's face it. They own their own catering which makes having meal/snacks cheaper, and quite easy.

There was a time when all airlines owned/had there own catering divisions!
You can cut the irony with a knife

abrelosojos

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:21 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 38):
Last year I had a four hour overnight flight on SQ. I boarded early and the stewardess handed me a menu. I declined it telling her I needed to sleep. I was served three courses (two of them hot) during boarding and then dessert during taxi.

= ... and SQ makes consistent profits, has high customer loyalty, is from a developed nation, and faces LCC. Now only if UAL could mirror its lack of unions and upper management salary structure ...

Sad day to be a 1K at UAL,
A.
Live, and let live.

raffik

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:27 am

How come airlines in Europe can offer a service on domestic/short hauls? We also have competition from major low cost airlines (Easyjet & Ryanair) too..

I flew MAN-LHR the other month and we were presented with a box containing a sandwich (egg & cress), pretzels, an orange juice & muffin. To top it off, there was also a trolley service with Tea, coffee, coke etc.
For those in the States who don't know how short the service is.. the flight duration was around 25 minutes in a packed 757...

When I flew Gatwick-Glasgow at New Year, there was even a hot meal service, and the flight duration couldn't have been more than 50 minutes.
- Alec

PVD757

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:31 am

UA hub routes within 735 - 785 miles:

DEN-AUS 770
DEN-LIT 770 (not served by UA)
DEN-MLI 752
DEN-PSP 777
DEN YWG 783

ORD-BTV 764
ORD-CHS 758
ORD-BDL 783
ORD-ISP 764 (not served by UA or anyone else for that matter)
ORD-YUL 746
ORD-RAP 777
ORD-SAV 770

IAD-MLB 770 (not served by UA)
IAD-MCO 758
IAD-STL 739

looks like IAD-MCO and ORD-CHS just missed the cut!!

Dtw757

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 38):

That is what air travel use to be in the USA but times changed. What are fares like on SQ as opposed to UA? How much do the employees make on SQ v UA?
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

zvezda

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:38 am

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 42):
Sad day to be a 1K at UAL

It's a nice day to be a former 1K (eight years).  Smile CO treat me as well with no status as UA treat me as a MillionMiler.

abrelosojos

Fri Jan 12, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 46):
It's a nice day to be a former 1K (eight years). CO treat me as well with no status as UA treat me as a MillionMiler.

= Unfortunately, your slogan is something that fits me well too ... I am enslaved by Star.

-A.
Live, and let live.

We're Nuts

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:09 am

The 759mi number has to do with flying time (about 2.5 hours), not any specific city pair. If I remember correctly from my days at YV, that is also the point at which Explus "first class" passengers got meal boxes.
Dear moderators: No.

jfk69

Fri Jan 12, 2007 3:12 am

B6 starts JFK-ORD with a full snack service. UA is cutting corners left and right. Not really trying to win over new passengers are they.