Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jr

RE: AI's New Livery!

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:30 pm

I love the new tail. But overall it looks like something is missing. The windows are nearly as nice as the old ones. May be its the redlines as someone else pointed out. Hopefully it will grow on us with time.
I've flown on 9V-SPK.

scbriml

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:32 pm

I think it looks quite nice. However, it may not last long - if AI and IC do indeed merge wouldn't the joint company have a new, single image?
Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana!
There are 10 types of people in the World - those that understand binary and those that don't.

vtmaa

Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:47 pm

Like part of the tail, but the font used for lettering is way too old, should have changed that to more stylized lettering.
Wouldn't mind seeing the red & gold over more of the whitespace either.
Windows need more emphasys as well, decorated windows were what made AI different from any airline in the world and still does.

malmoaviation

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:21 pm

Great livery, great aircraft. Nice that they keep the paint around the windows.

rgds

jaysit

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:30 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 42):
Isn't that just a big mausoleum built by an overzealious emperor for his wife? That's what I was taught in school.

Yeah, but then the pyramids are just big tombs for megalomaniac kings, the Great wall of China is just a big fence, and the 777 is just a big 737. But we know that aint the case, right?

Admittedly, the new AI livery isn't going to win any awards, but its a lot better than the tacky livery they went for in 1989 with the sun and sash on a Eurowhite background which looked like it was designed by the Shiv Sena on a budget.
Atheism is Myth Understood.

rootsair

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:55 pm

WOW! Finally my dream has come true! i had opened a thread more than a year ago that AI should change livery. This livery lloks fresh, they kept their originality which is the palace around the windows and have managed to make a modern design.
Way to go Air India !!

anyway any livery could be better than the old one
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

Gr8Circle

Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:58 pm

Quoting FlyMD (Reply 7):
Thank God they finally have a new livery.
Welcome to the 90's AI!

Quoting DABZF (Reply 37):
Not great but million times better than the old one - which IMHO is one the ugliest liveries around!

FYI, the existing AI livery is highly appreciated by most people....and adopting new liveries every 10-15 years, like UA and some others, does not indicate modernising.....what would you say about airlines like AA, SQ and quite a few others, who have persisted with the same livery for decades...?

However, that said, I personally like the new livery and am waiting to see it from other angles....thanks for the pic..... smile 

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 33):
It would look a hell of a lot better without the tombstone windows.

Please do not show your ignorance of other cultures, so openly....what is a tombstone for you is a palace window for those who understand Indian culture....

airbusfanyyz

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:19 am

Quoting Himmat01 (Reply 45):
AI a/c feature Rajasthani style windows and not Taj Mahal or Tomb stone style.

Not to nit-pick but it's actually a combination of Mughal and Rajasthani styles.  Smile

After looking at the livery some more I wish AI didn't put it's name on the tail. A completely red tail with the gold centaur would have looked even better IMO.
I love that they kept the window treatment, it's unique and culturally significant.

Any idea what (or if) AI will be naming the new birds after?
Hopefully cities like LH does.

Cheers,
Kaz

Gr8Circle

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting Himmat01 (Reply 45):
AI a/c feature Rajasthani style windows and not Taj Mahal or Tomb stone style.

checkmark 

The AI windows have always been modelled on the Rajasthani architecture, which is the true, traditional Indian architecture.....the Taj Mahal, as rightly pointed out, is a tomb and reflects Mughal architecture, not traditional Indian design....

As for the new AI / IC merger, I would assume that this new livery will be the one for the future common entity....

sevenforeseven

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:26 am

Hmmm. Nice but a bit like a unfinished dinner.

ardian

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:46 am

Looks allright for me. I love the windowstyles though. It's a good thing that they have kept that.

abbamd

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:01 am

What happened to the photo? I dont see it!

smokescreen

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:18 am

Aaargh. I hate these new "negative space" logos where it looks like they ran out of room on the tailfin. The only thing dumber than this "style" is the fact that airlines and their design consultants are tripping over each other to get in on this fad, like a bunch of teenagers lining up for the latest sneakers.

Otherwise the restyle is OK compared to a lot of what is out there, but approximately 34% as good as the livery it will be replacing. Hopefully there will be another outcry from the people and politicians of India.

desiguy2447

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:22 am

Looks nice.. Hopefully this also means that AI will become a better airline with being more on time, and etc??

LHRSpotter

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:41 am

Quoting FlyMD (Reply 7):
Welcome to the 90's AI!

The nineties are well and truly over. Although I am not sure how to refer to the present decade... Love the colours and simplicity BUT never liked the design around the windows. Also curious about the interior.

aviateur

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:41 am

The new livery is ugly. Like everybody else, they're trying to be all slick and gimmicky. The centaur looks ridiculous.

Those aren't "palaces" around the windows, by the way, they're Moghul arches. (Curiously, this detail was replicated with surprising accuracy one on an episode of the The Simpsons.)

Also, Air India's choice of the centaur was discussed in a column of mine in July, 2005:

<< Air-India's earliest long-range planes were Lockheed Constellations, the first one taking off in 1948. With the new planes came a new logo, and the plan was go with a constellation theme. The centaur, representative of Sagittarius, was a logical choice because it suggested movement, strength, and somewhat resembled the farohar, a Paris heavenly symbol featuring a winged man, like a guardian angel. The Parises are a Zoroastrian sect of the Subcontinent -- of which Air-India's founding family, the Tatas, were members -- and their farohar is a sign of good luck. Furthermore, incarnation of the Sagittarius evokes, in the mind of many Indians, the master archer Arjuna from the mythological epic Mahabharata. Whatever the exact reasoning, the emblem was adopted and has remained ever since. >>

That's from here, if anybody wants to read the full story:

http://www.salon.com/tech/col/smith/2005/07/29/askthepilot147/

-- PS
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

B742

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:44 am

Quoting LHRspotter (Reply 64):
The nineties are well and truly over. Although I am not sure how to refer to the present decade... Love the colours and simplicity BUT never liked the design around the windows. Also curious about the interior.

Love the colours also, but I love the design around the windows! I am also curious about the cabin config/seating!

Does anyone know what the configs of the 772LR/3ERs will be?

Rob!  wave 

mahan

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:44 am

I dont like it..Not that I like the current livery anyway, but it atleast has more Indian flavour. The new livery seems to be a compromise on Indianess ( with the palace windows ) and modern confirmity ( with White color & Centaur ) .. I shudder to think how the side profile photo will look like.

Why didn't they go with AIX livery ?
Airlines I have flown - IC, 9W, KF, AI, LH, BA, LX, CO, DL, UA, SQ, MH, AA

The777Man

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:45 am

Nice that they changed the livery! Much better than the current one, but I have preferred the centaur on the whole tail, not just part of it. Also more red would have been nice.

The777Man
Boeing 777s flown: UA, TG, KE, BA, CX, NH, JD, JL, CZ, SQ, EK, NG, CO, AF, SV, KU, DL, AA, MH, OZ, CA, MS, SU, LY, RG, PE, AZ, KL, VN, PK, EY, NZ, AM, BR, AC, DT, UU, OS, AI, 9W, KQ, QR, VA, JJ, ET, TK, PR, BG, T5, CI, MU and LX.. Further to fly.. LH 777

sammyk

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:02 am

Quoting Aviateur (Reply 65):
Those aren't "palaces" around the windows, by the way, they're Moghul arches. (Curiously, this detail was replicated with surprising accuracy one on an episode of the The Simpsons.)

Also, Air India's choice of the centaur was discussed in a column of mine in July, 2005:

<< Air-India's earliest long-range planes were Lockheed Constellations, the first one taking off in 1948. With the new planes came a new logo, and the plan was go with a constellation theme. The centaur, representative of Sagittarius, was a logical choice because it suggested movement, strength, and somewhat resembled the farohar, a Paris heavenly symbol featuring a winged man, like a guardian angel. The Parises are a Zoroastrian sect of the Subcontinent -- of which Air-India's founding family, the Tatas, were members -- and their farohar is a sign of good luck. Furthermore, incarnation of the Sagittarius evokes, in the mind of many Indians, the master archer Arjuna from the mythological epic Mahabharata. Whatever the exact reasoning, the emblem was adopted and has remained ever since. >>

The window design was to mimic Rajasthani palace windows. Not "Moghul arches" although one may think they are one and the same.

[Edited 2007-01-16 18:07:04]

vivekman2006

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:06 am

You bet! It would have looked fabulous...

Quoting AirbusfanYYZ (Reply 57):
A completely red tail with the gold centaur would have looked even better IMO.

AI has started naming its 777s (leased ones that is) after the Indian classical music ragas (styles).

Therfore we have "Megh Malhar", "Kalyani", "Hamsadhwani" and "Neelambari"

Any idea what (or if) AI will be naming the new birds after? Hopefully cities like LH does

sammyk

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:10 am

A completely red tail with the gold centaur would have looked even better IMO.

I would have liked that too. Then they could have brought a thicker stripe over the windows and framed them in gold.

rampart

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:20 am

Very nice, incorporating heritage design in an update. NW used to have that!

Quoting Aviateur (Reply 65):

Thanks, Aviateur for explaining. It makes more sense than the corporate lingo on reply 24. That smacks more of geopolitical patronage than of regional heritage.

Quoting Jaysit (Reply 54):
Great wall of China is just a big fence

And it didn't even work! Genghis Khan's army easily bribed their way in.

And Stonehenge is just an oversized desk calendar.

-Rampart

aviateur

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:21 am

Quoting Sammyk (Reply 69):
The window design was to mimic Rajasthani palace windows. Not "Moghul arches" although one may think they are one and the same.

Thanks for the clarification Sammyk. (Now I can see it, remembering the buildings I saw in Jaipur.) Not even my devoted Indian readers ever corrected me on that one.

PS
Patrick Smith is an airline pilot, air travel columnist and author

BMIFlyer

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:24 am

I like it Big grin

Lee
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own

stevens91

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:29 am

Wow !!! New livery for AI, they really want become a world class airline. Just hope that the servce onboard changes too.

777way

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:32 am

Sorry but very disappointing livery, looks like its been done in haste with not much thought more like having taken clue from the leased 767 AI are operating, Indian's could have done much better.

1. Indian flag's wheel logo would have looked much better had it been used instead of the centaur but done in this very style.

2. AI title from tail should have been dropped, hindi AI title should have been in gold adjacent to english AI title in red on fuselage.

3. Palace windows should have remained same size as in previous scheme but painted gold for a more subtle look.

4. Belly paint should have been at a higher level with a gold pinstripe running through like on BA's landor scheme.

5. The other stripe connecting fuselage to tail paint wouldnt have been there.

MEACEDAR

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:48 am

Quoting 777way (Reply 76):
Sorry but very disappointing livery, looks like its been done in haste with not much thought more like having taken clue from the leased 767 AI are operating, Indian's could have done much better.

1. Indian flag's wheel logo would have looked much better had it been used instead of the centaur but done in this very style.

2. AI title from tail should have been dropped, hindi AI title should have been in gold adjacent to english AI title in red on fuselage.

3. Palace windows should have remained same size as in previous scheme but painted gold for a more subtle look.

4. Belly paint should have been at a higher level with a gold pinstripe running through like on BA's landor scheme.

5. The other stripe connecting fuselage to tail paint wouldnt have been there

Couldn't agree with you more....although, it is much better than their previous livery.

kaitak744

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:51 am

That would look horrible on a 787. (the nose line on the 787 is much lower than the 777 or any other aircraft.
http://boeingmedia.com/imageDetail.c...a&BuId=0&caid=0&prid=0&sc=lrg&pn=1
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/Kaitak744/15AirIndia-27.jpg

That would be stealing from Indian Airlines.
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © JKSC

flyorski

Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:57 am

In any case it's way better than the old one....
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

highflyer9790

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:25 am

Quoting AA777223 (Reply 14):
Am I the only one who does not see raked wingtips? These are their first new 777s, no? I

Im with you on that one- unless, its the photo angle, i cant see any raked wingtips.

DIJKKIJK

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:54 am

Not at all a bad livery! Only that they could have either kept those bigger Taj Mahals around the widows or done away with them entirely. The smaller ones don't look very good IMO.
Never argue with idiots. They will bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

flydreamliner

Wed Jan 17, 2007 3:57 am

Quoting DABZF (Reply 37):
Not great but million times better than the old one - which IMHO is one the ugliest liveries around!

But they still have those ugly windows though...

My sentiments exactly, the old one was unattractive, this one is easier to look at, and while I find the palace windows tacky, it's an improvement. I'm sad to see airlines not being bolder with their liveries. Everyone is going to this boring eurowhite liveries that look like some take on LH or AF, and start to look dirty very quickly (it goes to reason white aircraft don't do much for hiding dirt)

I would have hoped they would have gone with something more red, less white.

Quoting Deaphen (Reply 41):
ok so this is a premature opinion... but my country is known to be vibrant... but my airline colours dont look anything close! I hoped they would be similar to the Indian new livery.... but well... lol

I agree, I wish the new livery were bolder and more vibrant as well. Liveries used to convey cultures more, now they are increasingly all vanilla.

Quoting HighFlyer9790 (Reply 80):
Quoting AA777223 (Reply 14):
Am I the only one who does not see raked wingtips? These are their first new 777s, no? I

Im with you on that one- unless, its the photo angle, i cant see any raked wingtips.

I don't see the raked wingtips either, but if you look at the engines, they do look like GE90s from behind, i'm not sure which engines their 772ERs use, but that could perhaps help?

Was this picture taken at one of their bases, or at Boeing... if it was at boeing, it's probably one of the new 772LR's.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

Gr8Circle

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:11 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 82):
Was this picture taken at one of their bases, or at Boeing... if it was at boeing, it's probably one of the new 772LR's.

You're not likely to see any snow at the major airports in India...so it has to be Boeing...and anyway, the first 200LR is due for delivery to AI only in Feb '07..... smile 

B747FAN

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:33 am

Just glad they did not go with this one...

Big version: Width: 800 Height: 701 File size: 59kb
) He turns not back who is bound to a star. - Leonardo Da Vinci.

787kq

Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:51 am

Very disappointing livery. They need to add something interesting to that.

Keep the old one at this rate or hire a good agency to fix it.

qslinger

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting KSUpilot (Reply 2):
Looks great, but is anyone else getting a bit of a TWA vibe?

ur right about that one...when are these guys gonna change it to make it look good!

Although not a bad start, they finally seem to be catching up with the rest of the world in regards to the planes.
Raj Koona

planetime

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:42 am

where are they planning to fly the 777LR's to first.

I guess they will not have the same problem PIA had with flying to US directly.

blrsea

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:45 am

Quoting Planetime (Reply 87):

I guess they will not have the same problem PIA had with flying to US directly.

Nope, AA, CO and DL already fly non-stop to India.

mk777

Wed Jan 17, 2007 5:51 am

Decent livery, though not one of the best ive seen.

Quoting Blrsea (Reply 88):
Nope, AA, CO and DL already fly non-stop to India.

Well if AI plays its card right, it might compete well with the aforementioned airlines that link US with India. For example, start DEL-YYZ service, DEL/BOM-IAD would be good as well. Even a non-stop to SFO and YVR would do well.
come fly with me

BritPilot777

Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:08 am

I think it's very nice! Looks modern and looks great on the 777!
Forever Flight

fraspotter

Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:24 am

It looks pretty good in my opinion. However I will need to see it from a better angle to make a better decision. I think the colors will look pretty nice on their 744s.
"The strength of the turbulence is directly proportional to the temperature of your coffee."

— Gunter's Second Law of Air Travel

ordryan28

Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:46 am

beautiful livery!

although it will be sad to see the old, classic livery slowly fazed out.  Sad

..but looking at a livery like that may cheer me up!

-Ryan
Whoever said winning is not everything never fought cancer.

PRAirbus

Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:54 am

Very good, keeping up w/modern times but still displaying core insignias. Excellent!

AwysBSB

Wed Jan 17, 2007 7:41 am

For a moment I thought FlyGlobespan's color scheme was the best option for Air India's livery.

MyAviation.net photo:
Click here for bigger photo!
Photo © Karan Bindra

Now I think all the choices AI has already made for its livery were just perfect!
I hope other airlines follow AI's wisdom and never change their identities.

aerokiwi

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:14 am

Urgh! What a sad change! Though the old livery was in SERIOUS need of a revision/complete redesign.

The "centaur" on the tail is completely bizarre - if you don't know their corporate logo, how could you possibly tell what that squiggle is?! And isn't that half the reason for airline liveries? - to promote/advertise their brand?!

Why confuse people?

The whole thing looks disjointed with the windows detached from the rest of the livery.

Sad.

Gr8Circle

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting Qslinger (Reply 86):
Although not a bad start, they finally seem to be catching up with the rest of the world in regards to the planes.

And what is that supposed to mean....  Confused

Quoting Aerokiwi (Reply 95):
The whole thing looks disjointed with the windows detached from the rest of the livery.

Sad.

Why don't you wait until you see proper pics of the new livery instead of making such drastic comments on the basis of a single pic taken from an awkward angle....??

N276AASTT

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:37 am

I love it. It looks "up-to-date" yet looks very similar to the old livery. That being said, I think this livery will be more widely accepted by the public who scolded AI when they changed their look a while back.
Dejale Caer tu el Peso! YOMO

aerokiwi

Wed Jan 17, 2007 8:38 am

Quoting Gr8Circle (Reply 96):
Why don't you wait until you see proper pics of the new livery instead of making such drastic comments on the basis of a single pic taken from an awkward angle....??

By that logic, this entire thread is pointless and should be deleted  Yeah sure

Ok, then, from what I've seen, the window design appears to be an afterthought, smaller in scale and detached from the rest of the livery. The former style of framing the windows between two cheatlines is far more appropriate and appealing.

The base of the fuselage is also totally detached from the rest of the design. Again - an afterthought.

The font is in serious need of a revision.

The name of the airline on the tail is pretty amateurish and blatant.

And finally, the centaur logo on the tail will be a complete mystery to most people. I stared at that picture for a long time trying to figure out what the hell that thing was (thinking it was some kind of ancient Indian script or motif of some sort). Thank god someone clarified it in this thread (which, by your logic Gr8Circle, shouldn't exist)!

sammyk

Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:25 am

Quoting Aerokiwi (Reply 95):
The "centaur" on the tail is completely bizarre - if you don't know their corporate logo, how could you possibly tell what that squiggle is?! And isn't that half the reason for airline liveries? - to promote/advertise their brand?!

Why confuse people?

Who exactly is going to be confused? What are the chances of someone getting on the wrong plane because they couldn't recognize the airline due to a vague livery? Many airlines are using that style of an oversized logo on an area that it doesn't fit on so why should this be any different? That and it clearly states Air India on the tail. As for marketing/promotion, how many people really pick their airline based on their ability to recognize its livery?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos