caribbean484

RE: Caribbean Aviation Part 6 Now Including Belize!

Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:36 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 48):
the proposed expansion of NAS looks fantastic- I would have loved POS to look something like that!!!! 20 medium, 4 large and 6 prop gates- how perfect. If I had to build POS I would probably put 15 medium, 5 large and 6 dash gates...might be excessive now, but in the longer term it'll be useful I'm sure!

So would I. Better overall job with concessions and customs and baggage claim.
All ah we is one family

BWIA 772

Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:09 am

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 47):
Only wish POS had a better terminal. To me and everybody that travels to the airport on a regular basis , and comparing it to those of the US and UK its still the same like to old on, just with shuts. Nothing really impressive.

Actually I have heard that said about POS already. Many Barbadians said that the old terminal was a cow shed and that the new one although nice is not fantastic. IMO the new terminal could have been caribbeanised a little.

BTW is paint very expensive in Trinidad the airport could do with some and a couple television screens.
Eagles Soar!

TransIsland

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:46 am

Quoting MD90fan (Reply 42):
Since we are on airports here is are a few photos of the planned NAS expansion.

As far as I know, this is not a PLAN but a PROPOSAL ONLY. Given the current situation in Nassau, I doubt we will see much of this realised any time soon.

For now, I'd be happy if they fix what we already have, i.e. stop the roof from leaking, make the toilets flush, install speakers so you can understand the announcements, etc.
I'm an aviation expert. I have Sky Juice for breakfast.

belizexp

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:34 am

Quoting AA1818 (Reply 38):
Honestly, right now the airport works but just think:
all USA traffic becomes daily, DL adds JFK as the rumour is

Interesting it would be a good move over the ATL route.
Belize my home sweet home...

aa1818

Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:15 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 51):
BTW is paint very expensive in Trinidad the airport could do with some and a couple television screens.

Actually when u were here they had just taken down the tv screens since when I was leaving POS on the 8th January they were installing flat panel/ plasma screens!!!!!

AA1818
“The moment you doubt whether you can fly, you cease for ever to be able to do it.” J.M. Barrie (Peter Pan)

BWIA 772

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:02 pm

Well I guess I will see them when next I go POS. I hope they decide to paint it soon. Any news on JM?
Eagles Soar!

BWIA 772

Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:12 pm

Checking the Trindad Guardian and one of the major stories was

Quote:

Trinidad Guardian Friday 19th 2007
By Sherwin Long

DESPITE botching the first job to repave Piarco International Airport runway in 2003, Jusamco Pavers Ltd will get a second bite at the cherry to the tune of $137 million. http://guardian.co.tt/news4.html

The above link will lead to the story for 24 hours while the below should work beyond that time http://www.caribbeanalpa.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=6347#6347

Regards
Eagles Soar!

westindian425

Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:26 am

Geez, it's getting hard to keep up these days. Sorry guys.

Now, to my friend BeeweeL15: I just arrived into JFK last night and I saw 9Y-TAB. Tell me you got some shots!!!  Smile

As for my opinion on airports, I see a lot of the "major" destinations want to move to jetbridges. That's nice and modern, but I sure hope the air stairs aren't going the way of the dinosaurs. Just my personal preference.

Piarco was a pioneer for the southern Caribbean. We all know about the scandals that was involved in the building of it, but there is a level of pride that came when it was finished.

That being said, can they please fix those monitors and update the arrivals/departures?! Also, I think and decent website about the airport and airline information is long overdue.
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

A388

Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:09 am

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 57):
Also, I think and decent website about the airport and airline information is long overdue.

Don't they have a website? That would be a shame if true. Every company has a website nowadays, it is a must. Hopefully soon so I can determine on which day I need to be at POS for good aircraft photography? Big grin

A388

captaink

Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:33 am

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 57):
As for my opinion on airports, I see a lot of the "major" destinations want to move to jetbridges. That's nice and modern, but I sure hope the air stairs aren't going the way of the dinosaurs. Just my personal preference.

Certain island airports certainly doesn't need jetways. I mean they are very useful in in extreme weather conditions, but I don't see why islands like Grenada or Tobago need to undertake such expense. Whatsmore the tourists love the airstairs. As a CSA, i loved walking around the ramp, or waitng outside for my flight to arrive, then climbing up the airstairs and opening the door. There was something special about that.

If the bigger islands, BGi, POS, can warrent having Jetways due a lot of traffic on the ramp or what not, I say go ahead. But the small islands can stay as they are for the time.
Look Up

westindian425

Sat Jan 20, 2007 12:19 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 59):
Certain island airports certainly doesn't need jetways. I mean they are very useful in in extreme weather conditions, but I don't see why islands like Grenada or Tobago need to undertake such expense. Whatsmore the tourists love the airstairs. As a CSA, i loved walking around the ramp, or waitng outside for my flight to arrive, then climbing up the airstairs and opening the door. There was something special about that.

If the bigger islands, BGi, POS, can warrent having Jetways due a lot of traffic on the ramp or what not, I say go ahead. But the small islands can stay as they are for the time.

Agreed. So KIN, MBJ, POS, BGI, and FDF (to name a few) could warrant jetbridges. SLU/UVF, GND, and TAB can stay with the airstairs for now. This is jus personal opinion, but there's something about airstairs at a tropical island that says exotic.  Smile
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

beeweel15

Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:01 pm

Quoting WestIndian425 (Reply 60):
This is jus personal opinion, but there's something about airstairs at a tropical island that says exotic.

Could not agree with you more. Jetways reminds folks of the hustle and bustle of the big cities they are leaving from. Just to breath that Warm Caribbean Air as you step off the plane is hypnotic enough you just cant wait to get to the beach.

captaink

Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:44 pm

Quoting Beeweel15 (Reply 61):
Could not agree with you more. Jetways reminds folks of the hustle and bustle of the big cities they are leaving from. Just to breath that Warm Caribbean Air as you step off the plane is hypnotic enough you just cant wait to get to the beach.

Even us as Caribbean nationals experience the same. I once did an almost 2 month training course in PIT. It was an awful, boring, dreary, cold city. Coming to the end of the course when not even my weekend trips to NY helped, I just wanted to go home. When i stepped out of the door onto the air-stairs in BGI, and that blast of hot, humid Caribbean air hit me, I smiled quite contentedly, it felt good to be back in the Indies, and that feeling started as I stepped out the door of the airplane.

Back to the topic though. I went to NAS a few times, they are def in need of some expansion. At times flights would have to wait for an available gate becuause there simply aren't any available. If I remmeber they have one concourse with a couple jetways, usually US and DL gets parked there. But I notice that BA and the others park on the other side and the passengers board via airstairs. Any Bahamians can confirm if this is still the case? NAS gets an insane amount of flights, the proposal if seen through would do them well.
Look Up

trintocan

Sat Jan 20, 2007 8:20 pm

If I remember correctly, the POS terminal can be expanded. I think that it can be added to the North of the present terminal with link taxiways between the two terminals added to the East. A second runway, if needed, can be accommodated further North, close to the Churchill Roosevelt Highway.

The old terminal is still used for some helicopter flights and the aprons there are used for cargo flights - though on landing the cargo planes actually hook up to the jetways at the new terminal for immigration clearance before being towed across the runway to be off-loaded.

As I remember last using POS back in 2005, it seemed in pretty good shape although I hope that they maintain it. The expansion as was undertaken in 1999-2000 is adequate - if traffic rises further then they should expand it more. I do not think that a bigger expansion would have been appropriate - what one could have ended up with is a huge airport with too few flights to fully utilize it and thus make it a maintenance burden. Somehow, when I think of under-used airports, KUL comes to mind (I went there in 2003). All the same, I accept the criticisms that have been levied at the facility's present design. More provision should have been made for the turboprops - they are after all a significant part of POS's operations. The LI and 8B flights that call at TAB on their way on to BGI, GND etc are also tricky. Domestic passengers filter to the domestic terminal after check-in while the international passengers go through immigration in the main terminal - though usually the planes doing these flights are parked adjacent to the domestic terminal.

TAB does need a new terminal - the present one is over 20 years old and the traffic growth has exceeded the facility's capacity. The problem lies in where to build it. The most likely solution is to build it further to the East of the old one and further from the runway to comply with ICAO standards for obstacle-free zones around the runway. Jetways here seem very unlikely.

I would like to see how BGI's expansion pans out - it certainly needs it!

TrinToCan.
Hop to it, fly for life!

A388

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:05 am

So the artist impression of the new terminal for NAS (proposal) is really justified? It looks very big but I constantly hear about NAS receiving a lot of flights. Does anyone have the daily arrivals/departures for NAS? Doesn't NAS have a website?

A388

A388

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:27 am

Also, does anyone know when the next 737 of BW will be repainted to Caribbean Airlines? I only saw that 9Y-ANU received a Caribbean Airlines sticker but that's it. What is the rate at which the entire fleet will be repainted and when will it be completed? They currently fly to SXM three times a week (Sa/Mon/Wed). Do they have plans to increase their number of flights to SXM? What is the status on flights to CUR? Any more details or updates? I am interested.

A388 Big grin

pzurita1

Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:29 am

I am trying to complete an airport ranking for LatinAmerica + Caribbean. However I have found little info about traffic in Caribbean airports. But previous data I know biggest airports in the area are:
SJU, MBJ, SDQ, HAV, PTY, BGI, POS, PUJ, PTP, AUA, FDF, KIN, SXM, POP and CUR.

I know I am in the right place to ask for help to complete it with data of 2005 and 2006 (or at least an idea of where to gather that data). I am interested in any airport with more than 500K pax a year.

Saddly, KIN and MBJ websites offer info outdated as far a 2001. Same happens with HAV.

Thanks

Pedro
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

A388

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:36 am

Quoting Pzurita1 (Reply 66):
But previous data I know biggest airports in the area are:

What is this based on? Biggest airport in what? If the list is based purely on airport terminal size, it is incorrect. AUA is bigger than PTP. Even in passengers handled I'm not sure if PTP is bigger as AUA gets more flights with higher loads (from North America) compared to PTP. Correct me if I'm wrong.

AUA:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Roger Cannegieter

View Large View Medium

PTP:

http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho..._search.php?id=00844443&size=large

http://www.myaviation.net/search/pho..._search.php?id=00670312&size=large

I do like PTP more as it has a true Carribean landscaping around the terminal which I liked very much when I was there in 1997 (diverted AF flight to SXM).

A388

[Edited 2007-01-21 01:56:48]

pzurita1

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:00 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 67):
What is this based on? Biggest airport in what? I

Based in traffic (pax handled) using 2003 data, hence my will to update them.
PTP saw 1.8M pax while AUA saw 1.6M in 2003. Maybe with today's figures, AUA has more traffic than PTP.
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

A388

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:02 am

Quoting Pzurita1 (Reply 68):
Based in traffic (pax handled) using 2003 data, hence my will to update them.
PTP saw 1.8M pax while AUA saw 1.6M in 2003. Maybe with today's figures, AUA has more traffic than PTP.

Oww okay, it is clearer now. Like you said, it is very nice if someone can provide us with traffic numbers of the airports you mentioned. I asked this in the past before but nobody really could give a link to a website with updated info. It would be nice to have....

A388

jm017

Sun Jan 21, 2007 12:42 pm

Saddly, KIN and MBJ websites offer info outdated as far a 2001.

Try this link for MBJ. It has more recent figures.
"It's okay to cheat, if you just really don't like to lose."

A388

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:37 pm

I find it soooo irritating that the arrivals and departures info page keeps disappearing and re-appearing every second on the MBJ website!!! I can never see the arrivals and departures because of this  Sad

Even so, they have statistical information which is great. Nice to see that overall number of passengers up to August 2006 has slightly increased compared to the previous year (2005). The link:

http://www.mbjairport.com/English/Passenger.aspx

What are the expectations for the coming two to three years for MBJ? Will the airport terminal be expanded even more? I am still looking for nice areal photos of the new terminal in MBJ. Anyone have links for me?

A388

captaink

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:44 pm

I have heard that MBJ terminal looks really beautiful and quite modern. Guys up in Jca what going on, we want pics. Big grin

BTW look at this absolutely stunning picture.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Robert J Cijntje

Look Up

A388

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:47 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 72):
BTW look at this absolutely stunning picture.

I've seen the picture a few days ago too, very nice. SXM remains a wonderful airport for aircraft photography. I hope to be there myself somewhere this year. Congrats to Robert Cijntje on the nice photo!! Big grin

A388

md90fan
Topic Author

Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:33 am

But previous data I know biggest airports in the area are:

Ahem where is my beloved NAS, someone has some 'splainin to do  wink 

Quoting Captaink (Reply 72):
MBJ terminal

I was there for spring break about 2 years ago, and it was fairly modern.

Quoting A388 (Reply 73):
SXM

I want to go there for Spring Break  cool 
http://www.devanwells.blogspot.com/

BWIA 772

Mon Jan 22, 2007 4:14 pm

Captaink its a wonderful photo of TAB. Does anyone have an idea of which aircraft will be painted in CAL's livery next, when that will happen and which aircrafts are going to be returned.

Regards
Eagles Soar!

A388

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:29 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 75):
Does anyone have an idea of which aircraft will be painted in CAL's livery next, when that will happen and which aircrafts are going to be returned.

Regards

I have also asked this question in this thread but have not received a reply yet. Is any of our Caribbean forum members working at the airport in POS or someone with connections at POS? Like BWIA 772 I am very interested in the repainting schedule of Caribbean Airlines's entire fleet Big grin

Does anyone also have an update on whether Caribbean Airlines will start flying to CUR or not? If so, when?

A388 Big grin

BWIA 772

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:39 am

Based on the following pic it seems as if CAL is just applying the Caribbean Airlines titles to the fleet for now.

http://images1.jetphotos.net/images/img2/9/9YBGI2001B.jpg.98773.jpg

Regards
Eagles Soar!

A388

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:39 am

Finally my first Insel Air MD83 photo has been added to the airliners.net database. See my photo here:

View Large View Medium

Regards,

A388 Big grin

BWIA 772

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:43 am

congrats A388 on your photo
Eagles Soar!

caribbean484

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:42 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 76):
have also asked this question in this thread but have not received a reply yet. Is any of our Caribbean forum members working at the airport in POS or someone with connections at POS? Like BWIA 772 I am very interested in the repainting schedule of Caribbean Airline's entire fleet

Does anyone also have an update on whether Caribbean Airlines will start flying to CUR or not? If so, when?

A388

Ok A388, the fleet should complete its C check by the middle of the second quarter of the year. In this, the aircrafts will be painted and retrofitted with winglets and the new interior. The airline is not simply going to pull aircrafts of schedual to go for early C checks to paint the aircrafts.

As for new routes, we will have to wait and see since, the airline wants to develop its existing routes first.
All ah we is one family

A388

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:52 am

Quoting Caribbean484 (Reply 80):
Ok A388, the fleet should complete its C check by the middle of the second quarter of the year. In this, the aircrafts will be painted and retrofitted with winglets and the new interior. The airline is not simply going to pull aircrafts of schedual to go for early C checks to paint the aircrafts.

As for new routes, we will have to wait and see since, the airline wants to develop its existing routes first.

Thanks for the information Caribbean484 but this information I already know. You mention that all aircraft will be repainted by the end of the second quarter, that I didn't know, so thanks Big grin

Keep us a.nutters informed  Smile

Regards,

A388

BWIA 772

RE: Caribbean Aviation Part 6 Now Including Belize

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:49 am

Question so is CAL still operating the 6 737s or have they gone down to 4?

Regards

Link to article on JM

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/airline2/message/21708

[Edited 2007-01-23 02:57:41]
Eagles Soar!

A388

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:22 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 82):
Link to article on JM

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/airline2/message/21708

[Edited 2007-01-23 02:57:41]

I read this article as well, interesting story but I'm not sure how truth there is to this article. Even so I can imagine that switching to the older B733 is a step backwards because of the simple fact that these aircraft are old with higher maintenance costs. Switching over to Boeing (or any other aircraft manufacturer) doesn't have to be that big of an investment if looked at it on the long term. I think these "switching costs" also depend on the airline adapting or getting used to the aircraft. I have also heard the A320 is more expensive to maintain but this is only based on articles I've read in the past so I am more careful in saying this.

The 757, however, appears to be a superb aircraft for the Caribbean so JM will have a real winner and very good performing aircraft in the 757. Unlike the old 733 the 757 can be a very good choice for JM.

Time will tell.....

A388

caribbean484

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:02 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 83):
I read this article as well, interesting story but I'm not sure how truth there is to this article. Even so I can imagine that switching to the older B733 is a step backwards because of the simple fact that these aircraft are old with higher maintenance costs. Switching over to Boeing (or any other aircraft manufacturer) doesn't have to be that big of an investment if looked at it on the long term. I think these "switching costs" also depend on the airline adapting or getting used to the aircraft. I have also heard the A320 is more expensive to maintain but this is only based on articles I've read in the past so I am more careful in saying this.

I concur. This is a backward step on the part of JM. Even getting new 738s would be great, however the dime does not stop there. JM's looses is mounting each year and this year according to analysts, a loss of close to more than US$150m is expected this year. Also, remember the airline's management said that the airline has gotten some millions in savings.
There is a cost in re-fleeting the airline. Technology wise also. The 757s are great but the choice for 733 I'm not sure.

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 82):
Question so is CAL still operating the 6 737s or have they gone down to 4?

Not sure yet I have to contact my friend at the airline. For rotation and unexpected maintenance reasons the airline will need 6 738s. Also for expansion in the near future. The current schedule is very good. The schedule last was a total disaster with the airline loosing revenues with high delays, major fixes to its weekly schedule, red-eyed flights and aircrafts in the air for a long time each day causing unscheduled maintenance.
All ah we is one family

caribbean484

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:05 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 75):
Captaink its a wonderful photo of TAB. Does anyone have an idea of which aircraft will be painted in CAL's livery next, when that will happen and which aircrafts are going to be returned.

9Y-KIN is in the shop now. So it should be repainted to the new BW livery and retrofitted with winglets.
All ah we is one family

captaink

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:29 pm

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 77):
Based on the following pic it seems as if CAL is just applying the Caribbean Airlines titles to the fleet for now.

Yeah this is the 'interim' scheme. I know we West Indians can't be pleased, but honestly, they could have put the Caribbean Airlines titles in the same colour as BWIA West Indies was before. That purple just looks wrong. Anyhow as Caribbean484 pointed out they will get the new scheme when they go in for their C checks.

Quoting A388 (Reply 78):
Finally my first Insel Air MD83 photo has been added to the airliners.net database. See my photo here:

Very pretty. I like Insels scheme, and I love shots for CURBig grin

JM is between a rock and a hard place. The current fleet of 320 series aircraft is hurting them badly, due to high lease costs, their maintenance costs, the costs incurred with having to lease aircraft to handle the heavy loads during certain periods etc. Changing to 733s would probably bring down the lease costs, but the additional expense that will be spent on introducing a 'new' fleet type would astronomical, (from the point of view of JM's pockets). They will need the 752 as the 733 wouldn't be able to do some of their most profitable routes.

I would love to see what actually happens if anything at all is changed.
Look Up

caribbean484

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:40 pm

Quoting Captaink (Reply 86):
Very pretty. I like Insels scheme, and I love shots for CUR.

JM is between a rock and a hard place. The current fleet of 320 series aircraft is hurting them badly, due to high lease costs, their maintenance costs, the costs incurred with having to lease aircraft to handle the heavy loads during certain periods etc. Changing to 733s would probably bring down the lease costs, but the additional expense that will be spent on introducing a 'new' fleet type would astronomical, (from the point of view of JM's pockets). They will need the 752 as the 733 wouldn't be able to do some of their most profitable routes.

I would love to see what actually happens if anything at all is changed.

Very true. While the lease rates will be better, introduction of a new aircraft to the fleet is a huge cost and time consumption to the airline. This is why Davies renegotiated the lease for the 738s and decided to not introduce a new wide-bodied aircraft to BWs fleet.

A388 hope to see more photos of CUR soon.
All ah we is one family

beeweel15

Tue Jan 23, 2007 5:05 pm

Quoting A388 (Reply 83):
I have also heard the A320 is more expensive to maintain but this is only based on articles I've read in the past so I am more careful in saying this.

That is correct Airbus aircraft are cheaper to acquire and more expensive to maintain than Boeing with the latter being the complete opposite. One thing from experience I can tell you is that airbus aircraft are the most delicate aircraft out there where as Boeing aircraft can take a kicking and keep on ticking.

yellowtail

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:46 pm

Has it crossed anybody mind that JM might be using the threat of a Boeing switch as a negitiation tactic to get the leases down.

I agree they need the 757 but most of their routes work fine with the A320/21......

IF I were them I would shed the LHR route get rid of the 340....and then have only 320/21 and some 75s......

Focus on your strengths....and go back to IAH with a decent departure time that allows for some connections!
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

captaink

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:00 am

Quoting Yellowtail (Reply 89):
Has it crossed anybody mind that JM might be using the threat of a Boeing switch as a negitiation tactic to get the leases down.

I don't agree. I think they are seriously looking at the Boeing planes, not just as a ploy to get Airbus to cut them a deal, or whoever it is they lease the airbii from. It all started when they started leasing B752s for some of the heavy routes and were pleased with the results. Since then it has been all about Boeing for them.

I do agree with you though, they need the B752 on certain routes. But on the rest, the current airbus fleet works just fine. So what do they do? If they get a cheaper lease on the A320s, maybe they could keep them, and still acquire the B752s. What are the commonality factors between the B752s and B737 classics? Not very many, so why not keep the 320s.
Look Up

BWIA 772

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:15 am

Yellowtail that thought crossed my mind but the fact that the fleet is leased from the ILFC means that pressuring Airbus is not that much of a factor. I really do not see them getting rid of their LHR route but then seeing how things are now in caribbean aviation it may just happen.

Caribbean484 Thanx for the info

In terms of JM and their decision to go Boeing it seems that the fact that they are considering such a change means that the cost of the operating the Airbus fleet are very high. It may be so high that the transition costs associated with the switch do not sufficently negate the savings that would be gain.

Regards
Eagles Soar!

PanAmOldDC8

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting MD90fan (Thread starter):
How many of you guys have been to BGI and what are your thoughts about the airport since it began the renovation process?

Great looking airport can't wait to go there in a couple of weeks and escape this cold up here in the frozen North. I remember the Barbados Airport from the days it was called Seawell, when I used to work for Pan Am there to the replacement and now the new one. One comment I have I think that they are wasting their money on the bridges, as most people like to get off the flight and feel the warmth of the Bajan sun it is not like boarding or deplaning up North, IT IS BARBADOS. The smell when you get off the plane in BGI is one of sugar cane and it is a wonderful smell, especially for us Bajans returning home. Just like GND the wonderful smell of the spices, my wife never got over that smell the first time we visited there and has commented several times about it. Keep up the good work on this Caribbean forum. Hve not been to Trini in years, the last time I was there it was for Carnival and I stayed at the PAN AM gueast house in Piarco, so can't comment on POS airport
Barbados, CWC soon, can't wait

yellowtail

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:55 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 91):
hat the fleet is leased from the ILFC means that pressuring Airbus is not that much of a factor.

Well then to pressure ILFC.

BTW...this thread startign to get a bit long with all these pics....even for DSL users....might be time to move to a clean slate.....
When in doubt, hold on to your altitude. No-one has ever collided with the sky.

PanAmOldDC8

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:00 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 36):
For more pics see

Thanks for the update BWIA772. Can't wait to get there in a couple of weeks. Make sure the sun is out and there are not rotis around. Where is the best place now?

BWIA 772

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:07 am

PanAmOldDC8

I only get the sugar cane smell during the harvest especially driving through the St. George Valley late night early morning when the air smells of sugar. I like getting off the airstairs to the sound of engines and the smell of av gas (a little on the sick side isn't it  rotfl . I do not like the whole getting off to the sun killing me I guess after a couple of years overseas I may grow to love it.

Regards

[Edited 2007-01-23 21:08:26]
Eagles Soar!

captaink

Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:21 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 95):
I like getting off the airstairs to the sound of engines and the smell of av gas (a little on the sick side isn't it

I love it too, you are not alone. There is something about going home, and stepping off the plane in the bright sunlight.. and it extremly bright after being away for long, listening to the APU's singing, the busy tarmac esp. in BGI in the afternoons. It is just a great feeling. The sun is a little strong at times, but hey, I actually welcome it after being cold for a while. Airstairs for life. Big grin

But on a serious note, BGI is a very busy airport so jetways are in order even if it is just to ensure public safety.
Look Up

BWIA 772

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:43 am

The thing is that the jetways are intended for the wide bodies but those of you arriving on narrow bodies you will be using the air stairs.

Regards
Eagles Soar!

A388

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:19 am

Quoting PanAmOldDC8 (Reply 92):
The smell when you get off the plane in BGI is one of sugar cane and it is a wonderful smell, especially for us Bajans returning home. Just like GND the wonderful smell of the spices

Well, here in CUR you got a mixed smell of jet A-1 fuel and the salty smell of Caribbean Sea. The latter one being my favorite smell of course Big grin

Now we also have jetways and I must say I like it:

View Large View Medium

I guess I'm just a jetways geek haha Big grin

A388

PanAmOldDC8

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:57 am

Quoting BWIA 772 (Reply 95):
do not like the whole getting off to the sun killing me I guess after a couple

You sure do, that is the appeal of the Caribbean, as a Bajan living in Canada and it is cold right now -20C, when you get off that flight and you feel the warmth of the sun and the smell of the hot tarmac, there is nothing like it in the world, you know you are home

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos