Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

VEEREF

RE: The Prince Of Sweden Stopped And Held At MIA

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:28 am

USA isn't the only country with long customs lines and rude immigration officers.

But any reason to bash the US right? Because eveyone else's policies are flawless, blah blah blah.

yawn 
Airplanes are cool. Aviation sucks.

airfoilsguy

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:31 am

Quoting Robbie86 (Reply 47):
It's hard to miss a point that isn't there...

Ok, I will spell it out for the slow people. A person from Indonisia stated that he does not agree with U.S. policy. Yet, the U.S. has sent that country, Indonisia, Millions in aid due to a tusnami. It is ironic that people who receve millions in aid do not like the country who sends that aid. I, as a U.S. tax payer would rather my money went to those who appreciate it.
Also, as to missing a point that isen't there, it is very easy to miss a point that isn't there. If the point isn't there how can anyone be expected to hit it, after all if the point isn't there it would be impossable to hit.

Quoting Abrelosojos (Reply 45):
PS: Only on A.Net would a topic about the Prince of Sweden evolve to Tsunami and the morality of aid.

spit   rotfl 

As for what happens to the prince of Sweden, or any other prince for that matter, I couldn't care less about what happens to them. But I do think the U.S. imagration system needs a serious overhaul. We have the gastapo working in the airports yet do nothing about the thousands of illigale Mexicans who cross the border daily.
It's not a near miss it's a near hit!!

fspilot747

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:33 am

Quoting Revelation (Reply 8):
C'mon, the dude has had an easy life just because the egg and sperm that created him collided in a Royal Womb.

Kind of like our president.

Seems like the "passport police" are part of the TSA. Or you'd think by the stupidity.

agill

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:42 am

Quoting GeorgiaAME (Reply 16):

I've been saying for years that the Swedes were the greatest threat to American aviation in the world. They hijack aircraft, fly them into buildings full of innocent civilians, are waging guerrilla wars on almost every continent on the planet...

Hey only the royal family does that, don't blame all of us  Wink

Revelation

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:49 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 52):

Kind of, but GHWB and GWB had elections to deal with, one way or the other...
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

jeffrey1970

Thu Jan 18, 2007 2:51 am

I think it is actually kind of funny. It is good for royalty, and people in higher positions to be knocked down a few knotches anyway.
God bless through Jesus, Jeff

CPH813

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:13 am

Last summer I flew from CPH to NCE. Right in front of me on row #1 ( I was upgraded to biz and was sitting on row #2) was the danish prince Joachim unguarded, also flying alone and without baggage. He did get to leave the aircraft 2 mins before anyone else though, but that was all the royalty there was to him there. He even sat next to an "ordinary" person with only a seat left empty between them.

flyboy_se

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:40 am

Well Swedish royal family often travels on regular flights.
I can understand that the immigrations officer was suspicious, since the prince was travelling alone, without any guards. And he did say he was to work in the staes, but didnt have the correct visa.

This is really no big news, and not even the prince think that was anything to write home about.It was one of the filmcrews who contacted the news about it. As the royal family think this is a non event then it likely is.
Believe me, if he was treated bad , it would be more news than this.

You should never believe everything Aftonbladet writes. It is more gossip then real news. And since this made the headlines , it means its a slow news day in Sweden.

Immigration can be bad in every single country. So you should never point fingers , before looking at your own countries immigration.
every country has its bad apples
I prefer to be crazy and happy rather than normal and bitter

SuseJ772

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:46 am

Quoting JumpJet (Reply 11):
I understand from a story in the British press last week, that there is a huge drop in the numbers of Brits visiting the US for leisure purposes, particularly visitors to Florida, and that this is largely due to the problems associated with the immigration authorities.

Errrr...that's interesting given the fact I watched a news report here in the states right before Christmas talking about the INCREASE in tourism from England because of the "weaker" dollar made shopping and 'touristy' activities so cheap.

I've been saying for years that the Swedes were the greatest threat to American aviation in the world.

rotfl 

Quoting Afterburner (Reply 23):
Don't get me wrong. I'm not against Americans. I just don't like the government and their policies.

The problem with that statement is in theory, our government is made up by the people and for the people. Now this of course does not mean that the current administration speaks for all Americans, not at all, but it does mean that most policies created by the government are supported by the general public. This gets tricky when you talked to isolated sub-cultures (albeit aviation enthusiasts, computer programmers, or religious groups). Even though you get in certain groups and they throw a fit about certain policies, usually, the majority of the general public supports it if it is a policy or law.
Currently at PIE, requesting FWA >> >>

NASCARAirforce

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:47 am

Quoting FSPilot747 (Reply 52):

Nah, he just has buddies in the Diebold Voting Machine company to not count his opponent's votes

I've been saying for years that the Swedes were the greatest threat to American aviation in the world. They hijack aircraft, fly them into buildings full of innocent civilians, are waging guerrilla wars on almost every continent on the planet, plant roadside bombs, preach intolerance, etc.

Hell even their top heavy metal band is called "In Flames"

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 37):
FYI his english is as good as Nick Lidstrom´s ...

Maybe he should have talked like Tomas Holmstrom then

FLY2LIM

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:56 am

Wow, 57 replies to a non story. He was not detained overnight. He was detained, causing him to miss his connection. I believe that flights into IAD from MIA only fly at certain times, so he probably didn't have a connection available to him until the next day.
His own press people say this was not a story.
Now, having traveled in many places around the world, entering the US is just as difficult or easy as any other country, though the US probably has a higher volume of passengers than other countries. I have made to stand at the end of the line for making a mistake in other countries. And you may all recall what happened to the AA pilot that showed the Brazilian authorities the middle finger, or the pilots of the Embraer that collided with the Gol? Not picking on Brazil, just naming a couple of examples.
I am not a defender of the TSA, but I also don't understand why they are being picked on for something that is a non event.
FLY2LIM
Faucett. La primera linea aerea del Peru.

LH423

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:58 am

Quoting YOWza (Reply 48):
Who says the TSA are clueless?

If only...

This transcends the TSA, this is CBP (Immigration). These people undergo extensive training and are trained to deal with a multitude of serious issues, not like making my 85-year-old grandmother take off her sandals. The TSA are a joke and something like this wouldn't be surprising from them. But this time it's immigration control.

However, as unusual as it is to have a Crown Prince of a European country show up with no announcement (usually the authorities are made aware of VIPs) and I can understand the initial skepticism he does have a diplomatic passport, and as we all know, countries don't give those out like candy.

One question, though. Does the diplomatic passport override the need for the visa? If not, then CBP was completely within their bounds as he was trying to enter the country without proper documentation. If that is the case, then it further strengthens my case that CBP are retarded.

LH423
« On ne voit bien qu'avec le cœur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux » Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

YULWinterSkies

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting Baexecutive (Reply 27):
Whenever I fly into JFK I've been allowed to use the US Citizen line (I am a UK National), this at least shows they are addressing the issue of long queues.

Yeah, but only when officially told to do so, right?
When I doubt... go running!

a3

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:07 am

Quoting Jonty (Reply 13):
quotes of "I am an American citizen"

Nowadays this quote can get you in trouble in most counties of the world  Wink

aving visited the US at least once a year for many years, I made the decision to go elswhere in future, as I'm totally fed up with having to suffer the indignity of my family and I waiting in interminable lines for immigration.

I think that you are not the only one fed up . Any self respecting person gets fed up by this .....

Quoting VEEREF (Reply 50):
USA isn't the only country with long customs lines and rude immigration officers

You are absolutely right.
But I remember when an other country (Brazil I think) stated that would treat US citizens visiting , the same way US treats their citizens (fingerprinting , photographs , visas etc ) then it was called “retaliation” , “unacceptable behavior” , and there was hundreds of posts debating.
Don't spend your money on airlines that don't respect your business.

gh123

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:14 am

C'mon, the dude has had an easy life just because the egg and sperm that created him collided in a Royal Womb

In this day and age I certainly wouldn't call being a royal easy. You have to put up with arsey comments like yours for a start.

vanguard737

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:23 am

Then why are we?

C'mon, the dude has had an easy life just because the egg and sperm that created him collided in a Royal Womb. He seems to be tolerating this small indignity better than the readers of A.net. No one is saying the INS went out of its way to hassle him, it was just an unfortunate misunderstanding that was resolved in a relatively short amount of time.

You must be new to airliners.net(?) The reason this is such a "big deal" is because it happened in America, and as you know, we are the most evil reprehensible nation on the planet as far as most a.net users are concerned.

Had this incident happened, say, in Canada, it would probably have never been started as a topic on a.net. But because it happened in the "big bad land of Bush", it is IMPERATIVE that we make a bis fuss about it!!!

Wink
319 320 321 359 717 722 732 733 735 73G 738 739 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 773 788 789 781 DC9 DC10 MD80 B1900 S340 E120 E145 E170 E175 CRJ CR7

Revelation

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting Gh123 (Reply 64):
In this day and age I certainly wouldn't call being a royal easy. You have to put up with arsey comments like yours for a start.

I guess I'll never know, not having emerged from the right womb. How about you?

vanguard737

Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:30 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 3):
They locked up someone with a diplomatic passport!?!?!?!? Rather than verifying it immediately??? They are worse than idiots! I don't know the words in English. Maybe aggressively stupid.

In other words you are advocating the idea that if you are famous or more known than a common person, then you deserve to bend the rules??? Forget that! I don't care if you are the Pope himself - if you don't have the right documents when you need them, then you SHOULD be detained/denied departure. Simple as that!

The idea that they could have googled him is no different than me telling them to call my mother or to check Myspace to varify my identity, it's insane!

Quoting Gary2880 (Reply 4):
Morons. Gawd knows what would happen if someone from the American...system, was locked up abroad.

GEEE!!! You mean like the innocent American pilots who were held in Brazil without any proof of wrong-doing when they collided with a GOL 737 because of a BRAILIAN air traffic control mistake?!?! I sure have't heard much about that in thw world press!! Try being objective.
319 320 321 359 717 722 732 733 735 73G 738 739 744 748 752 753 763 764 772 773 788 789 781 DC9 DC10 MD80 B1900 S340 E120 E145 E170 E175 CRJ CR7

RIXrat

Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:23 am

Gee, guys, if the survey is correct and only 25% of American high school seniors know that Washington, D.C., is the capital of their nation, how many TSA or U.S. immigration officials even know that there is a country in the world called "Sverige," because that is what is written on his diplomatic passport, and not the Anglicized "Sweden."

COA735

Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting Jonty (Reply 13):
If this had been an american diplomat there would have been a diplomatic incident! and I'm sure it would be all over the international press!
though, hopefully there wouldn't be quotes of "I am an American citizen" like people say in films to indicate that they deserve better treatment!

Here we go with the US bashing.  banghead  This would have happened ANYWHERE. But because it happened in the US, its a huge deal and and obviously wrong.  sarcastic 

LHStarAlliance

Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:33 am

Quoting Zvezda (Reply 3):
They are worse than idiots

I agree, this politic is so stupid this just makes the US more unpopular in the world. Not just this all enduring freedom and so on...

Don´t wonder when there´s the next 9/11.
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

a3

Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:46 am

Quoting COA735 (Reply 69):
This would have happened ANYWHERE

But it didn't  Smile
Don't spend your money on airlines that don't respect your business.

sk909

Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:53 am

C'mon, the dude has had an easy life just because the egg and sperm that created him collided in a Royal Womb. He seems to be tolerating this small indignity better than the readers of A.net. No one is saying the INS went out of its way to hassle him, it was just an unfortunate misunderstanding that was resolved in a relatively short amount of time.

Hmm... Imagine a daughter of a US President went to some European country, an had to go trought that same... Ohh.. That would for sure make for a major diplomatic crisis...

Quoting PavlovsDog (Reply 9):
How did he get on the flight from CCS in the first place? International flights always require a valid passport do they not?

He had his passport, that was why he was travelling alone.

Quoting NASCARAirforce (Reply 36):
I however can see the skepticism. How good is his English? I am assuming that most INS agents at MIA would only be fluent in English and Spanish. If this guy talked like some of the Swedish NHL players on the Detroit Red Wings, they would have a hard time understanding him (unless he spoke English as well as Nick Lidstrom).

Well actually he speaks English fluently and Spanish fluently... His mother is from some South American country, so he speaks it quit well...
Life's for Living!

flysherwood

Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:53 am

One more person agrees with you. There are much more beautiful places in this world to visit than the ones that in the US. Don't get me wrong. I'm not against Americans. I just don't like the government and their policies.

I suppose you are impressed with the policies of the government of Indonesia?

SkyexRamper

Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:54 am

mmm...Can I get my free phone call.....ring ring ring.."King of Sweden, how may I help you." But why was he going to Dullas via MIA!?!
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

wingnut135

Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting COA735 (Reply 69):
Here we go with the US bashing. This would have happened ANYWHERE. But because it happened in the US, its a huge deal and and obviously wrong.

No matter if it was right in the first place. Amazing how quickly this turned into a US bashing topic.

Quoting LHStarAlliance (Reply 70):
Don´t wonder when there´s the next 9/11.

Germany has many more strict laws than the US does. Wait until someone drops a Trip7 on the Bundestag, or Frankfurt, or Stuttgart, or wherever and see how fast and differently things will change. Adapt, overcome, or get left behind.

Wingnut
A good friend will get you out of jail. A real friend will be there with you saying, "Damn that was fun!"

flysherwood

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:00 am

Quoting Afterburner (Reply 29):
Hey, I don't like my government policies too.

I suppose you also didn't like the fact that the U.S. was the first country to send medical, financial and rescue aid after the Tsunami?

LHStarAlliance

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:01 am

There are much more beautiful places in this world to visit than the ones that in the US. Don't get me wrong. I'm not against Americans. I just don't like the government and their policies.

Think the same , but why resign to nature wonders for example like the Grand Canyon or the Niagara falls just because of some stupid people who think they are the kings of world...

This goes to Bush and CO not to the Americans , I must say all Americans I´ve known have been always very kind , so I try to not link the Politics with the people...
Boycott The Olympic Games In Beijing !

COA735

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:05 am

Quoting A3 (Reply 71):
But it didn't

Im aware of that  Smile

moek2000

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:19 am

God help me if I had dared to put a toe over the yellow line!! It's just never worth the extreme aggravation involved.

Well said... I'm American and I just got back from a trip to Europe and the customs staff are simply rude. The guy asked me if I was carrying any livestock such as goats or cows in my luggage (I thought he was joking, but he wasn't).

Also, they went through everything (even magazines and tour books) when they decided to "randomly" check my luggage for customs. The guy took 30 mins just goin through a tour book of Switzerland. But I guess he'll never get a chance to get out of country in his life and visit Switzerland, so I'm glad he got to experience Switzerland through my tour books.

Robbie86
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:25 am

Quoting Wingnut135 (Reply 75):
Amazing how quickly this turned into a US bashing topic

So true so true

Revelation

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:31 am

Quoting SK909 (Reply 72):
Well actually he speaks English fluently and Spanish fluently... His mother is from some South American country, so he speaks it quit well...

His mother was born in Germany and raised in Brazil, so chances are they are fluent in Portuguese instead of Spanish, but what do I know, I'm just an American...

Can we all give this a rest now, please?

ATCGOD

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:35 am

Quoting RIXrat (Reply 68):
Gee, guys, if the survey is correct and only 25% of American high school seniors know that Washington, D.C., is the capital of their nation, how many TSA or U.S. immigration officials even know that there is a country in the world called "Sverige," because that is what is written on his diplomatic passport, and not the Anglicized "Sweden."

The fact that you put that scientific survey with no link or credible information in your post really makes me think you know what you're talking about.  Yeah sure

srbmod

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:56 am

This thread has gone way off-topic, so I am closing it.

agill

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:56 am

Please stop the US bashing and take this for the funny story that it was. No harm was done (appart maybe for some hash words handed out to the TSA officials by bosses). I just would have loved to have this whole thing on film .
"Who did you say you were????"
It would almost like a scene from Monthy Pytons Holy Grail.

Robbie86
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:01 am

Quoting Skyexramper (Reply 74):
mmm...Can I get my free phone call.....ring ring ring.."King of Sweden, how may I help you." But why was he going to Dullas via MIA!?!

Just because he was delayed one day. Maybee there where no CCS-IAD nonstop that day? =/

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos