Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Zoom UK: Inaugural Route Will Be LGW-JFK

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:30 am

Greetings A.netters!

My mate has been successful after his interview with Zoom UK as an F/A,
and they confirmed at the end thta the launch route is definately LGW-JFK.

Good on them for brining lower economy fares to the route I say! I wondr how Delta feel about htis? the route starts on May1st with 763, and the are looking to go daily like DL.

I wonder where they will start after NY?

LGW

RE: Zoom UK: Inaugural Route Will Be LGW-JFK

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:35 am

Interesting news and just as I and many thought. DL will ride the storm, they want LHR-JFK so as and when they can they will move their NYC service up the road, DL offer some pretty competitive fares LGW-JFK and will be going double-daily from May so Zoom need to be on their metal if they are to break the market especially as CO are well established on the LGW-EWR route.

Low fare transatlantic from LGW has great potential and great to see it happen.

[Edited 2007-01-17 17:37:37]

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:43 am

I wonder what their IATA code will be? I'm assuming they can't use Z4 as that belongs to the mothership??

challiday

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:44 am

Will Zoom UK keep the same branding & web site as Zoom "Canada"?

Just a random thought, no worries if no one has an answer.

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:53 am

Quoting Challiday (Reply 3):
Will Zoom UK keep the same branding & web site as Zoom "Canada"?

From what my friend's been told this will have flyzoom.com on the side, but will have Zoom UK rather than just Zoom (he found this out from an Airport source not a t the interview!). It would seem they are keen to keep the family branding and expanding on it in the UK.

LGWspeedbird

Thu Jan 18, 2007 3:42 am

Can you get Zed fares on zoom? If so would save trekking up to LHR!!
upcoming flights LHR-LAX-HNL-SFO-LHR

caaardiff

Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:37 am

Pilot Recruitment

Zoom Airlines Ltd is currently seeking applications from Boeing 757/767 type rated First Officers, preferably ETOP qualified to join us for our 2007 fleet expansion! Candidates must be legally eligible to live and work in the UK.

Interested candidates should send their resume as an attachment in MS Word format to [email protected]

***Please ensure that you indicate your full name and the position for which you are applying in the subject line.***

From Zoom's website.
Seems they will be taking on some 757's!

by738

Thu Jan 18, 2007 9:54 am

Quoting Caaardiff (Reply 6):

Eh no.
The 757 mention is because the planned 767 fleet (ie NO 757s) is dual rated..thats all.

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:21 pm

True, I think they are (initially) planning long-haul only, with just 763's.
i wonder where would be next after NY? maybe LGW-BOS/ORD, that could work?

fly2yyz

Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:38 pm

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 8):

On another forum, I was reading that MCO was being bounced around as a future destination as is SFO. Personally I'd rather see them flying to BOM or DEL or pull a GSM and fly to CPT or JNB.

Rick767

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:50 am

Quoting Caaardiff (Reply 6):
Seems they will be taking on some 757's

They are only advertising for 757/767 rated pilots to gather some interest from 757 drivers who Zoom UK can "dual-rate" at minimum expense (if they are not already dual rated - not all are).
I used to love the smell of Jet-A in the morning...

7LBAC111

Fri Jan 19, 2007 12:57 am

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 4):
It would seem they are keen to keep the family branding and expanding on it in the UK.

That is both the most logical and sensible solution, dual branding would only serve to confuse the marketplace.

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

DAL767400ER

Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:05 am

How original, another US-UK longhaul startup whose first route is in the LON-NYC corridor, how original...

fly2yyz

Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:20 am

Quoting DAL767400ER (Reply 12):
How original, another US-UK longhaul startup whose first route is in the LON-NYC corridor, how original...

If there's money to be had, then why not?!

Humberside

Fri Jan 19, 2007 2:35 am

Quoting Fly2YYZ (Reply 9):
Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 8):

On another forum, I was reading that MCO was being bounced around as a future destination as is SFO. Personally I'd rather see them flying to BOM or DEL or pull a GSM and fly to CPT or JNB.

I think Zoom UK will look for routes with good VFR and leisure traffic since that is what Zoom (Canada) focus on
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

yow

Fri Jan 19, 2007 3:16 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 14):
I think Zoom UK will look for routes with good VFR and leisure traffic since that is what Zoom (Canada) focus on

Agreed. Maybe Zoom UK will be in the major airports, like JFK compared to YYZ in Canada as well as the BDLs and PITs of this world which are similar internationally to YWG in Canada.

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:44 am

What else are they gonna do, fly LGW-STN with a 763?
What the UK (or the US for that fact) doesn't have is a low-fare airline accross the pond, and I think that is their unique selling point (literally!)

BHXFAOTIPYYC

Fri Jan 19, 2007 5:16 am

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 16):

I see you point, but my girlfriend and a grp of friends flew LGW JFK rtn on DL for GBP95 + taxes in November, so I'm not sure how low Zoom's fares could be.
Breakfast in BHX, lunch in FAO, dinner in TIP, baggage in YYC.

by738

Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:03 am

Those DL fares are just short term promos

cwldude

Fri Jan 19, 2007 7:59 am

Well I'm flying LGW-JFK-LHR in December with Continental (returning with Virgin on their codeshare), and it's only costing me £240 which I consider to be reasonable enough. How much are Zoom looking to charge then??
Thomson Airways - The UKs premier charter airline // now flown : BY -AA -AJ -AE -AT; OO -AX -AU -RA -BG; BRIG; OBYD

FA4B6

Fri Jan 19, 2007 8:30 am

I dont understand Bermuda II and how Zoom UK can start this route. Can someone elaborate?
"Leap! And the net will appear."

vv701

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:54 am

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 20):
I dont understand Bermuda II and how Zoom UK can start this route.

While Bermuda 2 limits (and names) the airlines that can operate LHR-USA as well as the USA entry points for British and American airlines (separate and somewhat different lists for the two nationalities) it only limits the USA entry points for LGW-USA flights. There is no list nor any limit on the number of airlines that can fly from LGW provided there is sufficient (existing) traffic to reasonably support a new entrant. Outside of LHR and LGW Bermuda 2 is virtually an open skies agreement. This includes both STN and LTN - i.e any UK airport that is not a BA hub.

Vasu

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:59 am

I wish them well... and I agree that maybe some Indian destinations would go down well... LGW could then be used as a staging post from India to the USA as well!

COEI2007

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:39 pm

Its not going to be an easy battle for them. CO will have 3x daily to EWR, Delta will have 2x daily to JFK, and then theres plenty of flights ex LHR!!! Good luck to them

miamix707

Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:44 am

Quoting Fly2YYZ (Reply 9):

IIRC, MCO was Zoom's first destination, at least internationally back when they started with a leased A320.

They announced regular service to MCO would be re-started and a few flights were flown at the beginning of 2006, but these flights didn't continue. I wonder what happened?

LGW

Sat Jan 20, 2007 1:46 am

Quoting Cwldude (Reply 19):
Well I'm flying LGW-JFK-LHR in December with Continental

Did you mean LGW-EWR on CO?

fly2yyz

Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:13 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 24):
IIRC, MCO was Zoom's first destination, at least internationally back when they started with a leased A320.

They announced regular service to MCO would be re-started and a few flights were flown at the beginning of 2006, but these flights didn't continue. I wonder what happened?

Well with Zoom Canada, MCO is being restarted. The flight is being offered I believe through their tour operator, GoTravelDirect, as well as through the Zoom Canada website using the 767 out of YOW. Though what I was referring to was Zoom UK commencing flights to MCO from LGW.

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2007 4:39 am

Quoting Fly2YYZ (Reply 26):
Though what I was referring to was Zoom UK commencing flights to MCO from LGW.

It wouldn't surprise me if that is the 3rd/4th route they announce. I reckon
somewhere either west coast (LAX/SFO) or on the east coast (BOS/ORD/IAD) as the 2nd route

miamix707

Sat Jan 20, 2007 5:51 am

Quoting Fly2YYZ (Reply 26):
Though what I was referring to was Zoom UK commencing flights to MCO from LGW.

even more interesting..

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Sat Jan 20, 2007 7:58 am

Quoting MIAMIx707 (Reply 28):
even more interesting..

How come - given the HUGE UK market for LGW-MCO, pretty much year round, even in winter.

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:02 am

MIA could work, too. Seeing as no one flies there from LGW and not everyone wants the hassle of LHR to fly VS/BA/AA?

COEI2007

Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:18 am

I think LGW-MIA would work better. A lot of travellers to MCO are happy to just book a package deal, and fly to SFB with charter airlines, or MCO with VS holidays. Prices for packages are extremely competitve aswell!!!! MIA would attract business travellers aswell. Maybe FLL- to connect to the cruise traffic, and as an alternative to MIA????????????

sunrisevalley

Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:11 am

I flew Zoom YYZ-CDG-YYZ in October. When I booked in July their "premium class" fare was the same as the Y fare with Ac and AF. Basically for the same fare I got 35 or 36' seat pitch instead of 31 or 32'. The booze was free, I think Y class had to pay for it. But the wine was the cheapest Niagara region plonk you could get! And there has to be no cheaper plonk in the world than that from the Niagara region of Canada.!!
The cabin crew were excellent and the food out of CDG was quite tasty.

willyj

Tue Jan 23, 2007 1:20 pm

The fares between NYC and LON are already really cheap in the winter - most of the fares seem to be taxes and surcharges that Zoom would still have to charge. Add to that the lure of FF loyalty and flying major carriers the general public are familiar with, and I think they'll have a tough time making a profit in the winter.

Looking at flights to London on AA for random days in Feb, the fare is $458.10. AA is only charging $300, $158.10 is taxes and surcharges - so AA is only making $150 each way. How much lower can the fares go and still allow for a profit?

fly2yyz

Tue Jan 23, 2007 2:09 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 31):
MIA would attract business travellers aswell.

I think Zoom's approach is not the business traveller, much more the leisurely types, so MCO, SFB maybe even FLL are more in their sights.

alangirvan

Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:57 pm

Does anyone know how far up the priorities flights between LGW and US West Coast would be? This airline might be a good possibility for people in Australia/NZ who want to travel to UK. If anyone knows how to make changing planes at LAX a nice experience, that is.

Australia1

Tue Jan 23, 2007 6:17 pm

yes but this is a LCC with full service !!!

Well I'm flying LGW-JFK-LHR in December with Continental (returning with Virgin on their codeshare), and it's only costing me £240 which I consider to be reasonable enough. How much are Zoom looking to charge then??

u missed the point ... Zoom will have lower average fares, by far !!!

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 23):
Its not going to be an easy battle for them. CO will have 3x daily to EWR, Delta will have 2x daily to JFK, and then theres plenty of flights ex LHR!!! Good luck to them

they won
t be competing on frequency, but on average fares. Also their premium economy will attract quite a few, as probably cheaper than most economy fares on other carriers.

Quoting Willyj (Reply 33):
most of the fares seem to be taxes and surcharges that Zoom would still have to charge

yes but r Zooms fuel surcharges as high as other carriers who have tunrd this surcharge into a profit centre ???

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:12 pm

Quoting Australia1 (Reply 36):
yes but r Zooms fuel surcharges as high as other carriers who have tunrd this surcharge into a profit centre ???

Exactly, and I think no is the answer. ANyway, regardless of specualtion, the route LGW-JFK is Confirmed, so, like it or not, Zoom are heading for the Big Apple!

[email protected]

Tue Jan 23, 2007 11:19 pm

Fares from London to the USA are cheap, occasionally very cheap, during the winter; indeed, pre-fuel surcharge, it was not unusual to find, for example, LHR-JFK-LHR for 195 GBP including everything - even on BA. Now it's about 210 GBP (e.g. for LHR-IAD-JFK-FRA-LHR; nonstop under 230 GBP). For 240-250 GBP, you could fly to SFO or LAX. Not much profit could be squeezed from those fares. During the summer, however, it all charges: LHR-JFK-LHR becomes 400-500+ GBP. Clearly, there's room for cheap flights during the all-important summer when demand sky-rockets, but not during the winter (unless, say, you decided to concentrate on skiing). For better profit-earning opportunities, perhaps it'd be better to operate half-and-half: during the essential summer (e.g. beginning April-endSept), fly LON-JFK (and/or LON-BOS...); during the British winter (e.g. beginning Oct-end Mar), fly another route on which demand increases - and prices greatly increase - during the winter. It might, however, become confusing, but it's possible. (I haven't even considered its potential to compete on a low frequency basis, like once-daily, rather like MAX trying to compete with a business product STN-IAD with a five-times-weekly frequency. Convenient. Useful. Ha.)
"Everyone writing for the Telegraph knows that the way to grab eyeballs is with Ryanair and/or sex."

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:12 am

Quoting [email protected] (Reply 38):
For better profit-earning opportunities, perhaps it'd be better to operate half-and-half: during the essential summer (e.g. beginning April-endSept), fly LON-JFK

Good idea [email protected] - who knows, maybe they will!

Kevin777

Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:27 am

Quoting Fly2YYZ (Reply 13):

If there's money to be had, then why not?!

There probably isn't..

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 16):
What the UK (or the US for that fact) doesn't have is a low-fare airline accross the pond, and I think that is their unique selling point (literally!)

IMO nor is it needed, either..

Like many above mentioned, fares are way too low during many months of the year to justify starting year-round services. And I don't think the high-yielding summer months are enough to save the day (year) for Zoom.

Quoting Vasu (Reply 22):
and I agree that maybe some Indian destinations would go down well

India could function well in relation to Pearson's suggestion above, as the two destinations are counterseasonal. However, Yields on India are very poor, and getting poorer everyday, even in the winter, so I'd still doubt it.

Well I'm flying LGW-JFK-LHR in December with Continental (returning with Virgin on their codeshare), and it's only costing me �240 which I consider to be reasonable enough. How much are Zoom looking to charge then??

u missed the point ... Zoom will have lower average fares, by far !!!

Maybe I missed the point too then.. How can you have - "by far" - lower average fares here? I reckon a break-even return fare including everything across the pond would not be much below 350 pounds; I know that not all seats on CO go for 240, but still, I cannot see a margin here for Zoom..

Kevin777  Smile
"I was waiting for you at DFW, but you must have been in LUV" CPH-HAM-CPH CR9

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:01 am

Quoting Kevin777 (Reply 40):
know that not all seats on CO go for 240, but still, I cannot see a margin here for Zoom..

But how oftern are CO's flights full - that's the difference between the 2. For the prices that Zoom will be selling for, their flights "will" be full. So, as a result, the margin per pax doesn't need to be the same as CO's, and likely their operating costs/staff costs will be lower, too.

LGWspeedbird

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:15 am

I checked in a Zoom pilot today and asked him about the JFK route, he also said that they would probrably do SFO and two other destinations but I cant remember them I believe it was IAD.

He also said about possibility of Zoom getting 777's.
upcoming flights LHR-LAX-HNL-SFO-LHR

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:25 am

Quoting LGWspeedbird (Reply 42):
He also said about possibility of Zoom getting 777's.

SFO and IAD would be cool - and with 777's - even better!

Australia1

Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:46 am

Quoting Kevin777 (Reply 40):
I reckon a break-even return fare including everything across the pond would not be much below 350 pounds

Aren't u assuming Zoom's fuel surcharge is similar to other carriers who have turned fuel into a major profit centre ?????

FCAFLYBOY
Topic Author

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:04 am

Quoting Australia1 (Reply 44):
Aren't u assuming Zoom's fuel surcharge is similar to other carriers who have turned fuel into a major profit centre ?????

Exactl - I don't think said charges are the same for EVERY airline, I'd love to see a T7 in Zoom colours  Big grin

Australia1

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:09 am

Quoting FCAFLYBOY (Reply 45):
I'd love to see a T7 in Zoom colours

think u might be jumping gun a little !!!

Have Zoom actually said they will be doing daily year round ?

Maybe they might cut back in quieter months, or send aircraft to DEN or COS.

Some Colorado resorts are giving away accommodation & lift packages to foreigners, ie. poms & Aussies ( much cheaper than for locals ) & believe the likes of ThomsonFly have been doing well with charters to DEN from UK, as must be almost as cheap for poms to ski CO as anywhere else in world, of equal standard that is.

willyj

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:47 am

Quoting Australia1 (Reply 44):

And do we think that the majors won't try to adjust their surcharges to cut zoom out? The fares in the winter between NYC and LON are already really low - fact. In the summer, it's a different story, but that's only about 5 months out of the year.

ARGinLON

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:51 am

Quoting Willyj (Reply 47):
The fares in the winter between NYC and LON are already really low

right now there is a fare for LHR-JFK going at £73 roundtrip (plus taxes/Fuel?etc)

Australia1

Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:54 am

Quoting Willyj (Reply 47):
And do we think that the majors won't try to adjust their surcharges to cut zoom out?

of course not, that's where they make their money, not on actual fare !!!

Quoting ARGinLON (Reply 48):
right now there is a fare for LHR-JFK going at £73 roundtrip (plus taxes/Fuel?etc)

means nothing without taxes/charges added in. You need to compare apples with apples !!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos