Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

4holer26
Topic Author

CO Captain Dies Inflight

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:03 pm

Did a quick search, didnt find this topic.....

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/20/pilot.dies.ap/index.html

Says he fell ill on takeoff and was pronounced dead upon emergency landing.
Anybody have any additional info on this story? RIP to the Catain.

Rgds
Paul
I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!!!

WTXJET

RE: CO Captain Dies Inflight

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:11 pm

Flight 1838 a 757-300. Landed in MFE at 1345 and departed at 1725. Info from the Continental website.

westindian425

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:11 pm

Sad news. I pray for his family. Good job to the FO.
God did not create aircraft pilots to be on the ground

FL370

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:26 pm

bad news for the pilot, but good news that the FO was able to land the plane safely.

fl370

4holer26
Topic Author

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:33 pm

Yeah, Great job to the F/O for a safe landing. The stress level must be on 10, given that a fellow crew member is ill, The F/O has that stress and the stress of handling ATC and all aspects of controling the AC. Sad story.
I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!!!

bingo

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:39 pm

My heart goes out to his and the CAL family...Im sure he went peacefully knowing that his passengers were in the good hands of his comrades on board....

T7ILS13LatJFK

Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:51 pm

While it's beyond sad to the family of the Captain and is heart breaking to many, including myself, the end results of stories like these do put a smile on my face as the First Officer did, what seemed to be, an excellent job. Great job to the First Officer and kind regards to the family of the Captain...So sad.

Not to get off topic, but for all those who say that pilots are "underworked" and overpaid (or something to that resort), they need to think again and realize that pilots, too, are heros.
"You Know Dam Right!! & - Winds are 060 at 8, 4 Left, cleared to go."

flybyguy

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:27 pm

Quoting T7ils13latjfk (Reply 6):
Not to get off topic, but for all those who say that pilots are "underworked" and overpaid (or something to that resort), they need to think again and realize that pilots, too, are heros.

I think the description "hero" is stretching what the first officer did. He merely did his job... to operate the aircraft in a safe, efficient and thoughtful manner in accordance with federal and airline protocols. Heroes are those who selflessly put themselves in danger for the sake of others (a first responder or soldier comes to mind)... this is not the case here.

Bare in mind however, that I'm not saying that what the first officer did was of little significance, but what I am saying is that misuse of the word "hero" for very routine flight events (diversions, etc.) deminishes the gravity of the word. Perhaps if the FO overcame insurmountable odds to safely bring the airliner to a safe landing I would have had a different stance on this issue.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

ATCme

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:38 pm

Not trying to disagree with you too much here because I see your point.

Quoting Flybyguy (Reply 7):
Heroes are those who selflessly put themselves in danger for the sake of others (a first responder or soldier comes to mind)... this is not the case here.

but would you not agree that these people are just doing their jobs too?
I do agree though, although it was a heroic effort, it was just his job. It's safe to say though that the stress level increased tenfold when the captain flat-lined and he handled it quite well.

A side question, what are the procedures in this case? Would an F/A join the F/O in the cockpit? would he just don his oxygen mask?

Thanks,
ATCme spin 

Disclaimer: These are my views and I believe the F/O had to be a good pilot and did an excellent job.
I'm from the FAA, and I'm here to help. Really. Yes I'm serious, I'm here to help you.

Boston92

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:39 pm

Quoting 4holer26 (Reply 4):
Yeah, Great job to the F/O for a safe landing.

Whether you are a FO or a Captain, landing a 757, or any large plane for that matter, is not an easy task.

flydreamliner

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:40 pm

This is very sad. My hopes and prayers go out to the captain's family, and the entire continental family for their loss.

I wonder what the poor guy died of, and if it was something perhaps he could have been treated for?

The whole thing must have been hard on the FO as well. Hopefully he is doing alright.

Quoting T7ils13latjfk (Reply 6):

I think the description "hero" is stretching what the first officer did. He merely did his job... to operate the aircraft in a safe, efficient and thoughtful manner in accordance with federal and airline protocols. Heroes are those who selflessly put themselves in danger for the sake of others (a first responder or soldier comes to mind)... this is not the case here.

The man handled a crisis in which hundreds of lives were in the balance, and he did it very well. Yes, it is his job, but it doesn't mean his performance was not at least damn impressive, if not heroic. If your fellow crewman died right there at the controls and you had to put down as quickly as you could - handle the whole thing, it would be a heck of a lot to put on one poor guy. First officers rarely get the appreciation they always deserve, and God knows, this guy earned it.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

PM

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:44 pm

Quoting Boston92 (Reply 9):
Whether you are a FO or a Captain, landing a 757, or any large plane for that matter, is not an easy task.

How hard can it be? Thousands of people do it every day.

Or do you mean landing it on your own?

spacecadet

Sun Jan 21, 2007 2:52 pm

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 10):
Yes, it is his job, but it doesn't mean his performance was not at least damn impressive, if not heroic. If your fellow crewman died right there at the controls and you had to put down as quickly as you could - handle the whole thing, it would be a heck of a lot to put on one poor guy.

His performance was good, in that he did exactly what would have been expected of any FO in that situation - he got the plane down safely. So, kudos to him for that.

But I'm with T7ils13latjfk on this one - the word "hero" is overused to the point of absurdity these days, and this was not a "heroic" act. Heroism is purposely taking a bullet to save somebody else. Or throwing yourself on a grenade to save your platoon. It's going above and beyond the call of duty at great peril to yourself. It's not simply doing what you're trained to do in a medical emergency involving your commanding officer.

If that were the case, then all of the F/A's are "heroes" too, along with the air traffic controllers, ground dispatch, and all the other pilots who got out of the way so that this plane could have priority on approach. All of these people simply followed the procedures of an emergency landing.

Thankfully, it all ended safely, with the unfortunate exception of the captain. And the first officer deserves a pat on the back and a paid week off for that. But this is not really Medal of Freedom material here.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

AirWillie6475

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:02 pm

When is the news media going to get it right, it's so frustrating and equally stupid when they refer to the captain as the pilot and the FO only as an FO, as if they are monkeys at the captains service. They are BOTH pilots and do the SAME thing.

Markhkg

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:05 pm

If a pilot or FO is incapacitated, there are prescribed procedures for the FO and the cabin crew to follow.

The successful outcome of this was thanks to both training and crew coordination, albeit sadly the Captain did not survive. RIP.
Release your seat-belts and get out! Leave everything!

ContinentalAUS

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:07 pm

Very sad news. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and crew. Anybody know how this happened?
Sic'em Bears

Falcon84

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:18 pm

Tragic news. I'm sure we'll find out the name of our co-worker on Monday, but my condolences to his family, friends, and his intimate co-workers.

A sad day for us here at CO.
Work Right, Fly Hard

Caspian27

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:35 pm

Quoting ATCme (Reply 8):
A side question, what are the procedures in this case? Would an F/A join the F/O in the cockpit? would he just don his oxygen mask?

We actually train for this scenario in the simulator in our proficiency checks. Our ops procedures basically say to get the FA's help if you need it, make sure the incapacitated pilot isn't blocking any of the controls, declare an emergency and land at the nearest suitable airport.

Prayers for his family...

C27
Meanwhile, somewhere 35,000 ft above your head...

deltajet757

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:43 pm

That's very unfortunate. Good work on behalf of the F/O on landing the plane safely.

I give out my condolences to the family, friends and co-workers of the deceased captain. May he rest in peace.

Regards,

DeltaJet757
FLY DELTA JETS

Continental123

Sun Jan 21, 2007 3:59 pm

Quoting Falcon84 (Reply 16):
A sad day for us here at CO.

Indeed, may he rest in peace.  cry   crying   frown   pray   weeping 

MERLIN

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:11 pm

Sad news and sad day..RIP Captain.

Do we have his name?

rgds,
Merlin
"Aviation & Black hole carry same effect,once any where near it you're bound to get sucked in".

jcf5002

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:11 pm

You probably should have known that making such a comment would have gotten you flamed here...

That said, you're definition is too rigid and over-specific. The First Officer on this flight, landed a plane, by himself, which in normal conditions is above and beyond the call of duty: There is a reason why the 757 is a 2-crew flightdeck. Secondly, the situation that he was presented with was extraordinary, and he performed his job flawlessly. A person who accomplishes a task against adversity, odds, and with other lives on the line makes a person a hero. This man is a hero. May we all gather the strength, one day, that guided him.

Heaven bless the captian and his family.

-Jeff
Its always a sunny day above the clouds || CSEL, CMEL, CFI, CFII, MEI

COA735

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:12 pm

Quoting AirWillie6475 (Reply 13):
They are BOTH pilots and do the SAME thing

checkmark 
Which is why I also agree with T7ils13latjfk and Spacecadet on the Hero twist. If you asked that F/O if he though he was a hero, he'd probably say no. At least I would.

I'm not taking anything away from what the F/O did. Great job handling ATC and flying..  bigthumbsup 

flyibaby

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:24 pm

At the risk of sounding ignorant, I need to know, how did the FO steer the aircraft. I am assuming that the aircraft was brought to a gate where the passengers were deplaned and then the captain's body was removed. I am also assuming that they left the body in the cockpit to not cause any alarm in the passenger cabin. This said, the aircraft steering is next to the captain's left knee, how did they do it?

deltairlines

Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:48 pm

Quoting Flyibaby (Reply 23):
This said, the aircraft steering is next to the captain's left knee, how did they do it?

I'd assume that he moved over to the left seat to at least land the aircraft and/or taxi it in.

ADXMatt

Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:33 pm

I need to know, how did the FO steer the aircraft.

excerpts from the Houston Chronicle....
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/4486162.html

Since the pilot was on the floor the other pilot could change seats to taxi. (for whatever reason it was 2 capts flying together)

Lt. Paulo Herrera of the McAllen Fire Department said the pilot had a heart attack.

"The pilot was on the floor by the door. They had done compressions, CPR on him onboard the aircraft."

"There were a lot of passengers on the plane," Herrera said. "Some of them, a lot of them, had assisted the co-pilot and flight attendants in trying to help the pilot."

Luke said the passengers included a couple of doctors and nurses.

baron95

Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:45 pm

Sad story and unfortunately happened at a bad time.

The FAA is in the midst of reviewing the mandatory age 60 retirement age for Airline flight crew. They are in a comment period for the rule making change and I can see how people will use this incident to keep the age 60 rule in place.

As for the first officer being a hero.... It is often said that aviation is a long series of routine (even boring to some) flying hours, punctuated by the rare ocasion when superior flying and decision making skills are called for. This is one of those rare ocasions. I wouldn't choose to call the F/O a hero, however, I have no problems with others choosing to describe him as such.

Hundreds of lives depended on him (I assume it was a he) to reach deep inside and find the strenght to fly that plane to a safe landing in the face of adversity. The adversity included (at least): Flying a jetliner with only 50% of the required flight crew, landing a loaded plane immediately after take off with no fuel dump capability, flying with abnormal stress levels due to the loss of a crew member and possibly a friend, rushing in an attempt to bring his captain as soon as possible to medical attention to try to save him, having to move his captain and switch seats, possibly many other factors.

Hero or extremely competent and resourceful pilot under adverse conditions - you pick. I'm fine with either one.
Killer Fleet: E190, 737-900ER, 777-300ER

ONTFlyer

Sun Jan 21, 2007 5:49 pm

I think the description "hero" is stretching what the first officer did. He merely did his job

Heroes are those who selflessly put themselves in danger for the sake of others (a first responder or soldier comes to mind)...

Being a first responder myself, I have to respectfully disagree with this statement. I believe that although yes, the F/O was doing his job, I would say that he is a hero in this case for a couple of reasons. (1) There was a life threatening emergency on board, which unfortunately resulted in a loss of life. (2) He had the lives of potentially 200+ passengers/strangers directly in his hands and got that plane down safely. (3) He absolutely put his life on the line for the sake of many people while going through a traumatic event.

this is not the case here.

In the same context, when I get a call I feel that I am only doing my job. But in the eyes of others, it may appeard different. I am by no means trying to flame you, but I just have respectfully disagree from a first person perspective of a first responder. I must say that if I was on that plane, that F/O is a hero to me no questions asked.

ONT
Doin' just fine thanks...

pilotaydin

Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:20 pm

ok clean up time....

first off, if it was this Captain's time to go, so be it, and i hope he didn't suffer.

Now for the aviation part. Most of you on here don't fly, so we need to clear some stuff up. Yes our aircraft are multi crew, BUT when we are landing, the plane, only one person has their hands on the controls, the other person does callouts, gear and flaps....so essentially you are flying by yourself, you can easily put the gear and flaps down yourself, seeing as the a/c is on autopilot anyways....
The F/O and captain have different rolls on the ground, when in the air, it's pilot flying and pilot monitoring...

So what most of you say "good job FO" etc, has zero relevance, because we land the plane EXACTLY like that everyday.... THe psychological factor of not having someone next to you is about 1%, because when we are in the sim, we do engine fire at rotation, follwed by captain incapacitated, followed by icing, windshear and single engine landing at CAT 1 no autopilot at an airport with an evacuation...so after being trained for this, landing im VMC or at least normal weather both engines isn't much of a task... had the F/O been best friends or really close with the captain, then yeah id say a lil more stress....

as for incapacity training...you're supposed to belt the person down, mvoe the chair as far back as possible and lean it back, in cases where the person is still alive, it's good to have them go back into the cabin by carrying them, so that when we make a landing they can be easily sent away from the door and no further time is wasted on the ground.
At our airline, we have a F/A come and sit in the captain's seat and read you the checklist that you ask for...

SO i know intentions are well here, but it seems to me that from the reactions we are getting that some of you think the Captain shouts out orders and the F/O gets the controls now and then under supervision , those are the old days, we really need to show what the role in the cockpit is like NOW, because it's not too accurate in the eye of the public, or A.net
The only time there is too much fuel onboard, is when you're on fire!

philb

Sun Jan 21, 2007 6:57 pm

Thank God - at last a factual post from someone who knows what he's talking about, backing the minority who already stated the FACT that the FO just did the job he's trained and paid to do.

letsgetwet

Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:26 pm

Quoting Jcf5002 (Reply 21):
There is a reason why the 757 is a 2-crew flightdeck

Yes, the reason is because of the scenario that occurred. You only need one pilot to fly the plane.

Rj111

Sun Jan 21, 2007 7:47 pm

In my opinion he is not a hero. He carried out his job that he is trained for and prepared to do. By all means he deserves a pat on the back but there is a reason he has had years of training and inevitably commands a high wage.

Any idea of why the captin died?  Sad

ZakHH

Sun Jan 21, 2007 8:44 pm

Quoting Pilotaydin (Reply 28):

Well said - as so often.

Sad story about the captain - not the hint of a doubt here. But, aside from the personal tragedy, a lot of people die on the job, as a matter of fact - not surprising, as most people spend well over 25% of their time on the job.

And even though this occurs not that often with pilots (thanks to regular health checks, I would assume), it is still within regular routine. I fully respect the FO's performance, and I would even assume that his stress level was perhaps a bit over 1%, but if he would not have been able to do the job he did, he would not belong to the seat he was sitting in.

Anyway, regardless of that - sad story.
Tired of a.net? Join a friendly aviation community!

vs773er

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting PhilB (Reply 29):
Thank God - at last a factual post from someone who knows what he's talking about, backing the minority who already stated the FACT that the FO just did the job he's trained and paid to do.

I was under the impression that everyone on these forums knew what they were on about - that's why I wake early everyday to tripover myself rying to 'log-on' to read them.
Communicating. Keeping up foreign relations...

Sun Jan 21, 2007 9:55 pm

ok clean up time....

Best post of the thread.

I'd also like to add that thanks to the media and our government, the word "hero" is now meaningless. It should be avoided like "blogosphere".

pilotaydin

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:21 pm

This also raises the question of health exams....I both FAA and JAA ratings...and let me tell you, some pilots i know with FAA 1st class would have a snoball's chance in hell of passing a JAA 1st class, the JAA is hidious about their medical stuff, im not saying that this pilot wouldn't be flying in the JAA, just saying that becoming a pilot medically in Europe is hell...

in the JAA they do all sorts of epilepsy tests, they stick a tube down into your tummy check for easophogus damage from stomach acid, they check your eyes, they dilute them for 3 hours you cant see, they do a crazy hearing test, you apparently have to be able to hear a fly when it farts lol it's so crazy it sucks, lets see what else did we do, oh yeah you have to have an ekg, you have to do a lung capacity test and they figure out at what point of CO2 you pass out, so at one point, you pass out it's fun (not) blood tests suck, you have to be within blood pressure and cholesterol limits and it costs around 600$ for the airline to have one...and it has it's limits too, for example hearing tests are biannual i think, heart tests are every 5 years untl you're 40 then stuff like that, just a lot more stringent stuff....

i miss the FAA medical...can you hear son? yes sir, can you see? yes, do u do drugs? no sir, will u piss in this cup and cough for me....there ya go...
thanks what's your name and address? and then ya pay 60$ and it's over lol

airtran737

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:26 pm

This said, the aircraft steering is next to the captain's left knee, how did they do it?

Even though the wheel is next to the captain I believe you can still rudder steer the 757, but are only able to get 17 degrees of turning radius in either direction.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

ltbewr

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:35 pm

The FO followed well established and throughley trained procedures for dealing with an incapacated pilot. Of course, part of that training is to concentrate on the safety of the others on the aircraft and the aircraft itself and it does take a certain internal mindset anong with a mental training to be able to deal with crises such as this. Sadly, the pilot died of a sudden cause during a job, but at least unlike in a car, there was someone able to immediatley take over control.
I would assume as an in air incident, there will be an NTSB investigation as well as an internal CO one to see how things went, to make sure procedures were followed, where improvements can be made and errors corrected.
One question, in these circumstances, would the FO get a paid leave and for how long, to recover from the incident as well for conducting the investigation?

pilotaydin

Sun Jan 21, 2007 10:54 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 37):
would the FO get a paid leave and for how long, to recover from the incident as well for conducting the investigation?

im sure the company shrink will have to talk him for a session and if he's allright, then back to the flight line!

CodyKDiamond

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:25 pm

Rest in Peace to the Captain. Great Job to the First Officer

AerospaceFan

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:31 pm

A most tragic story for the captain, his family and friends, his coworkers, and Continental, which has lost a valuable member of its team. My heart goes out to those affected by this grievous loss. Given the stressful circumstances described, is a relief to read that the flight landed safely and that the professionalism of the crew stood the aircraft and its passengers in good stead.

Once again, my deepest condolences to those affected by the captain's passing.
What's fair is fair.

GoDIA

Sun Jan 21, 2007 11:53 pm

This is a tragic story, but with a positive outcome. No matter the circumstances, the FO did a superb job, and the passengers and flight attendants did a great job assisting the stricken Captain to the best of their ability. This shows how people come together when faced with a serious emergency. God bless the Captain and his family and friends. Eternal rest grant unto him, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.
Military Jet Noise--the Sound of Freedom!

hmmmm...

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:10 am

Any plane can be flown and landed with one pilot. They are all designed that way. There was no action performed that was above or beyond any call of duty.

Above and heyond the call of duty is when the windshield gives way, the captain is dangling outside the plane and the first officer has a 300 mph wind in his face.

What needs to be asked here is why the pilot died so suddenly. What did the last medical check miss? Medical checks are to prevent this very thing. Either he was killed by something very unusual, or the doctor that certified him may have some explaining to do.
An optimist robs himself of the joy of being pleasantly surprised

calpilot

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:12 am

From what I am hearing on our boards, it was not an F/O, it was another Captain giving IOE.

He just moved over to the left seat, while medical attention was given in the cockpit. Even if it had been an F/O, at CO all of the copilots are checked in the left seat tasks, (and type rated).

I do't understand what in the world people think f/o's do? Do you not know that they are pilots that fly the airplane too, do you not know that 50% of the time you fly on airliners they are the ones flying your airplane? "gee"

The passed Capt will be missed he was a nice man.

[Edited 2007-01-21 16:14:47]

airtran737

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:17 am

Quoting Hmmmm... (Reply 42):
What needs to be asked here is why the pilot died so suddenly. What did the last medical check miss? Medical checks are to prevent this very thing. Either he was killed by something very unusual, or the doctor that certified him may have some explaining to do.

I'm not sure if you're a pilot or not, but medical checks aren't all they're made out to be. Here's what my last medical went like.

AME: Can you see that chart?
Me: Yup
AME: Whats the first letter on line 3?
Me: C
AME: Eyes are good
AME: Feeling ok lately?
Me: Yeah, nothing unusual
AME: Sounds good. The assistant will type up your first class certificate, see you in a year.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

767Lover

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:33 am

Sorry to hear about the loss of the captain.

While I agree that the F/O (or captain, as CALPilot states) was doing what he is trained to do, it's obvious that he was also consumed with trying to keep the captain alive during all this. I can imagine how stressful it would be to think, "I don't want to take any attention away from this guy because he might die" and yet he had the flying duties and coordination with McAllen to attend to.

Sure he had others helping out, but it is hard to imagine what it would be like to see someone in your presence dying and wondering if you did enough.

iahcsr

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting Hmmmm... (Reply 42):
What did the last medical check miss? Medical checks are to prevent this very thing. Either he was killed by something very unusual, or the doctor that certified him may have some explaining to do.

My guess is it missed nothing... Some things just aren't detectable from such exams.. But 'Hmmmm' is correct in that either way, the good doctor will be answering some tough questions on this matter.

Quoting CALPilot (Reply 43):
It was not an F/O, it was another Captain giving IOE

As fate would have it, the Captain had just upgraded from the right seat and for the first few flight hours flys with a training pilot who also has 'four' stripes.
Working Hard, Flying Right Friendly....

ImperialEagle

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:43 am

ok clean up time

Thankyou!

This is not the first such incident and won't be the last, but then a lot of the people here on a.net (should) already know that! Wink
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

RJdxer

Mon Jan 22, 2007 12:43 am

Quoting CALPilot (Reply 43):
From what I am hearing on our boards, it was not an F/O, it was another Captain giving IOE.

checkmark 
I heard the same thing.

And then there's that little gadget on the panel that flies the airplane for you and on a 757 also has a feature called "autoland". I don't think autoland would be used by just one pilot since one pilot is supposed to be heads up while the other is heads down but the autopilot would be available. Good job by the FO/Cpt of not letting the event totally rattle him/her. Especially since the weather in MFE was not the best yesterday.
Warm winds blowing, heating blue skies, and a road that goes forever. I'm going to Texas!

NYCA330

Mon Jan 22, 2007 1:07 am

Quoting Continental123 (Reply 19):
Indeed, may he rest in peace.

All the emoticons were a classy touch...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos