HALFA
Topic Author

Alaska Airlines To Hawaii, Not If But When?

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:37 am

It's been long speculated that Alaska Airlines would begin service to Hawaii, but sounds like that will become a reality sooner than later.
This article was in our Honolulu newspaper this morning:

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/ar...e/2007/Jan/21/br/br3701896524.html

Most speculation here at HA has been focused on a daily PDX-HNL route.

Aloha,
HALFA
Hawaiian Airlines Since 1929...........

luvflng

RE: Alaska Airlines To Hawaii, Not If But When?

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:45 am

Hmm, that is interesting as Alaska has a code share agreement with Hawaiian to bunch of Northwest cities. These connect to HNL-SEA-HNL flight.
Radar Contact Terminated, Squawk VFR

FLY777UAL

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:49 am

I believe the scheduled date for ETOPS completion is February of this year...

F L Y 7 7 7 U A L

LAXintl

Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:54 am

Here is the original article from the Alaskan paper.
http://www.alaskajournal.com/stories/012107/hom_20070121014.shtml

Besides service to Hawaii, it mentions the carrier is considering an ANC-YYC link.
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

woodsboy

Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:04 am

Yes, Alaska does codeshare with Hawaiian and NW to Hawaii but I'd guess that the great majority of Alaska's codeshare passengers to Hawaii originate in Alaska and not Seattle. Having to fly through Seattle is enough of a bottleneck for AS passengers, ANC to HNL flights would be a very welcome change.

Has anyone tried to use AS mileage on Hawaiian, NW or CO? Its virtually impossible, we planned our last trip to Hawaii 10 months earlyand could not get first class either direction and that was using Hawaiian Miles, not codeshare miles. I'd be first in line for AS service to HNL from ANC.

HnlBoi

Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:29 pm

I thought NW is suppose to start ANC-HNL very soon? I believe that flight orginates out of OGG with a stop in HNL.

alaska737

Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:03 pm

Quoting HnlBoi (Reply 5):

ok NW already flies this on behalf of Alaskan and Hawaiian Vacations, it is something like 4 times a week, sesonal service im sure ANCflyer or some Alaskan resident can correct me on the frequency.

anyway a firend of mine whose dad is an AS pilot told me about a month ago that AS will begin flights to Hawaii. as to when and where it is only speculation but i would guess we could see all, some or a few of the following

SEA-HNL
ANC-HNL
PDX-HNL
SEA-OGG

ANCFlyer

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:50 pm

Quoting Alaska737 (Reply 6):

ok NW already flies this on behalf of Alaskan and Hawaiian Vacations, it is something like 4 times a week, sesonal service im sure ANCflyer or some Alaskan resident can correct me on the frequency.

NW flies to OGG and HNL (ANC-OGG-HNL-ANC), I believe it's currently 5 days a week with a 753 on behalf of no one really except NW. Yes, they are partners with AS - that's Alaska, not Alaskan.

They are slated to start ANC-KOA flights early May.

The current OGG flights terminate in April.

. . . .

There IS a market here for non-stop ANC-HNL flights. AS could fill that market.

Currently, the only offering of consequence is the HA charter on behalf of Hawaiian Vacations. Certainly a class act - even though it's a charter. Five hours later, your in HNL.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

as739x

Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:55 pm

Alaska737: Correct on 2 routes!

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

ANCFlyer

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:04 pm

Quoting AS739X (Reply 8):

If I had my preference:

ANC-HNL and SEA-HNL
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

SANFan

Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:15 pm

Speculation on other threads lately would support
ANC-HNL and PDX-HNL (maybe tied to the new PDX-BOS service in the Fall.)

I can't see AS starting OGG. SEA-HNL is rather well served already (1.5x daily HA, 2x daily NW, and 1x week on UA) altho there would be lots of connex likely. PDX makes the most sense and ANC is a given.

However, AS, please keep SAN-HNL in mind just in case you need (another) underserved Hawaii market (1 daily HA, 1 weekly UA) on the West Coast!

bb

Humberside

Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:34 am

Does anyone do PDX-HNL at present? Is NW's ANC-HNL year round or seasonal?
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

HALFA
Topic Author

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:18 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 11):
Does anyone do PDX-HNL at present? Is NW's ANC-HNL year round or seasonal?

Hawaiian Airlines flies daily PDX-HNL and PDX-OGG.
NW also flies from PDX to Hawaii but I'm not sure of their frequencies.

Aloha,
HALFA

ANCFlyer

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:30 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 11):
Is NW's ANC-HNL year round or seasonal?

Answered here:

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 7):

NW flies to OGG and HNL (ANC-OGG-HNL-ANC), I believe it's currently 5 days a week with a 753 on behalf of no one really except NW. Yes, they are partners with AS - that's Alaska, not Alaskan.

The current OGG flights terminate in April.

kwbl

Thu Jan 25, 2007 9:52 am

I would be surprised to see PDX-HNL before SEA-HNL. PDX already has 3 daily nonstops to Hawaii-all on large aircraft. I know HA is doing very well but I have no idea how NW is doing. I could see AS jumping the PDX-HNL route if NW drops it but it seems like 3 daily is pretty good for a market like Portland's.

alaska737

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:39 am

that's Alaska, not Alaskan.

woah im not gonna make that mistake!!! but i know that HA operated ANC-HNL on behalf of Hawaiin Vacations/Alaskan Vacations (the travel company) and then i just figured that NW carried that on

Quoting SANFan (Reply 10):
However, AS, please keep SAN-HNL in mind just in case you need (another) underserved Hawaii market (1 daily HA, 1 weekly UA) on the West Coast!

this is my out there route....i think SNA-HNL would work, AS has a big SO CAL influence and maybe they could try and compete with AQ.

Quoting AS739X (Reply 8):

i think i know which 2 but i am wondering if there are any others???

rwsea

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:09 pm

Quoting KWBL (Reply 14):
I would be surprised to see PDX-HNL before SEA-HNL. PDX already has 3 daily nonstops to Hawaii-all on large aircraft. I know HA is doing very well but I have no idea how NW is doing. I could see AS jumping the PDX-HNL route if NW drops it but it seems like 3 daily is pretty good for a market like Portland's.

I think PDX is only 2x daily - 1x HA and 1x NW.

SEA is 3.5x daily (1 HA, 2 NW, HA 4 additional days weekly, plus UA on Saturday only).

ER757

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:19 pm

I for one will definitely stick with HA on SEA/HNL rather than endure a 5.5 hour flight in a 737 - no thanks. Have done it SEA/EWR on CO and it's no picnic.
Much prefer a twin-aisle aircraft for flights over 4 hours. But hey, that's just me, I am sure AS will fill their planes on this route.

Eagle11

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:27 pm

I think Hawaii is going to be very successful for AS as it would seem to fit in well with their recent additions of leisure destinations.

In my opinion, having an ANC-HNL connection would be great for Alaska's "hometown" airline.
"The Eagle has landed"

SLCUT2777

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:32 pm

Quoting Eagle11 (Reply 18):
I think Hawaii is going to be very successful for AS as it would seem to fit in well with their recent additions of leisure destinations.

In my opinion, having an ANC-HNL connection would be great for Alaska's "hometown" airline.

ANC-HNL especially will be good. Perhaps even winter service from ANC to OGG & KOA might be feasible as well.
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

ANCFlyer

Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:10 pm

Quoting SLCUT2777 (Reply 19):
ANC-HNL especially will be good. Perhaps even winter service from ANC to OGG & KOA might be feasible as well.

Ha Ha, get me to HNL, that's the ticket. I can get interisland passes, or eventually try to new HNL-OGG ferry to come on line soon.

There has always been a market for Hawaii from Anchorage. Every single time I've flown the HA charter it's full. Every friend I've had tell me about the NW flights, the plane has been full. When UA still flew the Diesel 8 nonstop ANC-NHL-ANC, it was full (sure do miss that).

AS can't possibly miss with ANC-HNL, unless - like with all things AS does in Alaska - they gouge the hell outta the Alaskan flier to subsidize their West Coast cheapo fares . . . . yes, yes EA CO AS, I know CASM, blah, blah.  wink 

burnsie28

Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:43 pm

I thought NW is suppose to start ANC-HNL very soon?

They did,

I wonder where AS will fly to HNL from, ONT, SNA, OAK, SAN, because SEA, PDX, SFO, and LAX NW flies the route, and AS has a gentlemens agreement that they won't fly the same routes that each other fly, thats why NW dropped SEA-ANC and BOS-SEA and such. I doub't that NW would drop Hawaii routes.

ANCFlyer

Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:53 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 21):
I thought NW is suppose to start ANC-HNL very soon?

They did,

They've been flying it, unless I'm all mesed up. Via OGG . . . as I mentioned above. ANC-OGG-HNL-OGG with a 753.

That stops in April and NW starts ANC-KOA in May.

That info was in the Travel Section, Anchorage Daily News, last Sunday.

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 21):
I doub't that NW would drop Hawaii routes.

From ANC, possibly. Why: Because if AS was flying the route, daily, even with a 737, the loyal Alaskan fliers, who sometimes pick the NW flight strictly for the AS miles, will fly AS rather than NW. Why? Simply put, because the service aboard AS is better. Not stellar, nothing is stellar on domestic flights any longer, but better than NW. Sorry, it's the simple truth.

NW could keep the business if they undercut AS fares, but - because of their partnership - I don't see that happening.

HALFA
Topic Author

Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:12 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 20):
Ha Ha, get me to HNL, that's the ticket. I can get interisland passes, or eventually try to new HNL-OGG ferry to come on line soon.

What? And miss out on a free cup of POG?  Smile
Ah yes, the Hawaii Superferry. It will be here before you know it. Start up date is this July.

http://www.hawaiisuperferry.com/

There has always been a market for Hawaii from Anchorage.

checkmark 

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 22):
Because if AS was flying the route, daily, even with a 737, the loyal Alaskan fliers, who sometimes pick the NW flight strictly for the AS miles, will fly AS rather than NW. Why? Simply put, because the service aboard AS is better.

checkmark 

ua2162

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:43 pm

Yet more service to KOA! It will be interesting to see how ANC does. Will this flight be in addition to NW's SEA-OGG-KOA-SEA service?

ANCFlyer

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:58 pm

Quoting Ua2162 (Reply 24):
NW's SEA-OGG-KOA-SEA service?

Nope, cause, just like I said not three posts back, NW does ANC-OGG-HNL-ANC at the moment . . stop in April. Then NW will do ANC-KOA-ANC beginning in May. ..

NW hasn't ever done ANC-OGG-KOA-ANC.

Quoting HALFA (Reply 23):
Ah yes, the Hawaii Superferry. It will be here before you know it. Start up date is this July.

Beinteresting to see what happens with interisland air with that ferry. Personally, I WILL take the Superferry, if it works out, interisland. Why, simply because I'm on vacation, and I like ships . . .

PlanesNTrains

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:09 pm

Quoting ANCFlyer (Reply 25):
NW hasn't ever done ANC-OGG-KOA-ANC.

IINM, he referred to SEA with the SEA-OGG-KOA-SEA reference, as in "Will they do KOA from both SEA and ANC?"

-Dave
-Dave

MAX’d out on MAX threads. If you are starting a thread, and it’s about the MAX - stop. There’s already a thread that covers it.

ANCFlyer

Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:29 pm

Quoting PlanesNTrains (Reply 26):

Dave, thanks, my bad . . . read it incorrectly . . .

Same answer though. Nope, won't do SEA-OGG-KOA-SEA either . . .

EA CO AS

Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:34 pm

AS can't possibly miss with ANC-HNL, unless - like with all things AS does in Alaska - they gouge the hell outta the Alaskan flier to subsidize their West Coast cheapo fares . . . . yes, yes EA CO AS, I know CASM, blah, blah.

Must.... resist.... urge.... to.... reply....  Wink
"In this present crisis, government is not the solution to our problem - government IS the problem." - Ronald Reagan

Comments made here are my own and are not intended to represent the official position of Alaska Air Group

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos