Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:26 pm

It came on the local newspaper here in Singapore

Got anymore details?

Sorry if it is already posted, quick search didnt reveal anything

Regards

OA260

RE: Suvurnabhumi To Close Temporarily

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:07 pm

If it is true what a total embarrasement to the Thai nation !!!!

vivekman2006

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:39 pm

Close temporarily as in minutes, hours, days?

The only reason why one would want to "shut down" an entire airport is if there is a planned downtime for crucial systems such as navigation, etc..

GBan

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:41 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):

Why? It's an airport, nothing more.

Coal

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:49 pm

I had posted a thread on this about a month ago, regarding an article on the Bangkok Post:
New BKK Airport To Be Partially/temp Closed (by Coal Dec 25 2006 in Civil Aviation)

Cheers,
Coal
Nxt Flts: SQ SIN-KIX | HD UKB-CTS | NH CTS-NRT | SQ NRT-SIN | AK SIN-DPS-SIN

flykal

Wed Jan 24, 2007 9:53 pm

Yes, according to the Bangkok post:

Adm Theera said the cracking was increasing, including those found at the northern end of the eastern runway and the southern end of the western runway.

The immediate solution was to advise pilots to avoid cracked areas. That would be possible because the runways were wide and long enough, Adm Theera said.

He admitted that dodging the cracks would inconvenience the pilots and that partial closure of the runways to facilitate repairs might be necessary.
One doesn't discover new lands without consenting to lose sight of the shore for a very long time

lnglive1011yyz

Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:44 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):

Spoken like a true overzealous, overreacting Aviation Enthusiast  Yeah sure You go boy! Bet you think Air France's planes are dirty too, and Northwest is absolutely abhorrent for not replacing their DC-9's right? LOL

A little overreaction if you ask me..

Quoting GBan (Reply 3):
Why? It's an airport, nothing more.

Agreed!!

Quoting Flykal (Reply 5):
The immediate solution was to advise pilots to avoid cracked areas. That would be possible because the runways were wide and long enough, Adm Theera said

Sounds like a fairly serious concern if you ask me --> Does it stem from the location where Suvurnabhumi was built?? It was my understanding that the land at which Suvurnabhumi is built, used to be rice fields / swamp or something like that????

1011yyz
Pack your bags, we're going on a sympathy trip!

OA260

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:03 am

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 6):
Spoken like a true overzealous, overreacting Aviation Enthusiast You go boy! Bet you think Air France's planes are dirty too, and Northwest is absolutely abhorrent for not replacing their DC-9's right? LOL

A little overreaction if you ask me..

Errr no but when they said there were going to be delays a Thai official said ''it would be a disgrace for the Thai nation'' !!!! So its what the rulers think . It was advertised as being something amazing in the Far East that other countries in the region would admire!!! So if it has to close after a few months due to whatever the reason is then they will have egg on their faces. I was just quoted a ''Thai'' official not my own words!!!

soups

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:17 am

I am using BKK 4 times next month. Hope all airlines will be in sma eairport as don't fancy changing airports (connecting 1 time)
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

Qatara340

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:25 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):

I totally agree. This airport spent thousands of dollars for commercials promoting it as the new gateway to the Kingdom and how this airport represents the new Thailand.
لا اله الا الله محمد رسول الله

lnglive1011yyz

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:12 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 7):
Errr no but when they said there were going to be delays a Thai official said ''it would be a disgrace for the Thai nation'' !!!! So its what the rulers think . It was advertised as being something amazing in the Far East that other countries in the region would admire!!! So if it has to close after a few months due to whatever the reason is then they will have egg on their faces. I was just quoted a ''Thai'' official not my own words!!!

Granted. Then my tirade is redirected towards the Thai Official.

It might be handy to indicate that you're quoting someone when you say something like that, so that people don't misinterpret that YOU are saying it.

And besides, back to the point --> It's NOT the end of the world.

The terminal collapse in France last year is certainly much more of a devastatingly disgrace IMHO.

1011yyz

malaysia

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:48 am

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 6):
It was my understanding that the land at which Suvurnabhumi is built, used to be rice fields / swamp or something like that????

Definitely a Swamp, the original name for the airport was Nong Ngu Hao International Airport since it was built on top of Nong Ngu Hao (Cobra Lake Swamp)
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

gemini573

Thu Jan 25, 2007 6:46 am

They were supposed to build a new terminal for the LCCs but they complained about the landing fees at the new airport. I think it'll be the LCCs that will relocate to the old airport as well as three TG flights, but highly doubt all operations going back to the old airport.

aviasian

Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:10 am

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 11):

Just a little technicality. Although Suvarnabhumi Airport is located in an area known as Nong Ngu Hao (variably interpreted in Thailand as Cobra Swamp or Cobra Creek), it was never named Nong Ngu Hao International Airport. The only working name it had before being named Suvarnabhumi Airport (meaning Golden Land Airport) by His Majesty the King was New Bangkok International Airport (NBIA).

KC Sim

SkyvanMan

Thu Jan 25, 2007 7:11 am

Quoting Gemini573 (Reply 12):
relocate to the old airport as well as three TG flights

I thought it was the other way around, all but three domestic flights would change and all internationmal would remain at suvurnabhumi (sp)
The 3 best planes of all time: Shorts Skyvan, 330 and 360

fridgmus

Thu Jan 25, 2007 10:56 am

I'm currently in Bangkok and according to the Bangkok Post, two airport managers are likely to lose their jobs over this. The Post also states that one terminal at Don Muang could be opened up for non-connecting domestic flights
at a cost of THB 66 Million within 45 days if approved. Airports of Thailand (AoT) is already working on a plan for the return, although nothing has been approved by the Transport Ministry at this time.

If approved and with planned improvements, the Don Muang terminal will serve 16 million pax a year and should reach full capacity by 2019. The AoT board will discuss the return to Don Muang today. Board member Tortrakul Yomnak said all domestic flights could return to Don Muang because Suvarnabhumi is nearly at full capacity. Mr Tortrakul also said personnel stood in the way of solving problems at Suvarnabhumi and AoT management may have failed to respond to the board's orders. "The personnel issue must be dealt with first" he said.

I'm paraphrasing this from the 25 January edition of the Bangkok Post.

They have a lot work ahead of them. I wish them well.

Best wishes,

Marc
The Lockheed Super Constellation, the REAL Queen of the Skies!

bphendri

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:46 am

There was originally problems with cracking in the concrete of the terminal building I belive.

There was a big deal made about mistakes made in pouring the concrete. Looks like it followed them to the runways as well.

malaysia

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:56 am

Quoting Aviasian (Reply 13):
Nong Ngu Hao International Airport.

It was originally named that a long time ago. They knew foreigners would not pronounce it right and this was long before they actually started the construction, then it was named to Suvarnabhumi as time went to refer to Thailand itself.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

christao17

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:07 pm

Here's the thread in which this has been extensively discussed:
Thai Back To Don Muang (by IcLCY Jan 15 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Suvarnabhumi will not be shutting down. Hyperbole and distortion in the media, mis-reported overseas as is usually the case.

The Airports of Thailand has approved a mid-March re-opening (although technically it has never closed and remains an active facility for charters) of Don Meuang for domestic operations, in order to relieve some of the "strain" at Suvarnabhumi.

Some airlines such as Bangkok Airways and Air Asia are opting not to move back, as the first has much connecting tourist traffic to/from international flights and the second has both domestic and international flights and does not want the expense of a split operation.

TG has said that they will move so-called "non-connecting" flights (destinations other than Phuket, Chiang Mai and Krabi) back to the old airport and keep connecting flights and international operations at the new airport.
More than a dozen years flying in and around Asia...

malaysia

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:47 pm

Quoting Christao17 (Reply 18):
Suvarnabhumi will not be shutting down. Hyperbole and distortion in the media, mis-reported overseas as is usually the case.

I am sure it will close some day.

abrelosojos

Thu Jan 25, 2007 12:53 pm

Quoting OA260 (Reply 1):

= Wow. Thats dramatic. First off, they are not shutting down. Second off, I'd rather have it temporarily shutdown/partial shutdown/etc. than have it collapse like CDG!

Cheers,
A.
Live, and let live.

BigTom

Thu Jan 25, 2007 1:49 pm

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/...AS-GEN-Thailand-Airport-Cracks.php

Quote:
Somchai Sawasdeepon, the general manager of Suvarnabhumi Airport and a senior executive in state-run Airports of Thailand, however, denied news reports splashed across front pages Monday saying that the cracks had also emerged in runways. "The cracks do not appear in runways and pose no safety threat to aircraft," Somchai said when contacted by telephone.
The airport's two runways are each served by more than 10 taxiways, and Somchai said the cracks had appeared in about 24 different locations.
Some of the cracked taxiways had already been fixed, but others would need to be closed while the repairs took place, he said. Somchai pledged that this would not disrupt air traffic.

Seems they have ruled out a shutdown.
Cheers

fuffla

Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:58 pm

Is Suvarnabhumi already at total capacity?

fridgmus

Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:04 pm

According to the Bangkok Post, Suvarnabhumi is almost at full capacity, so the move, if it happens, of non-connecting domestic flights should help ease that.

From a laymen's point of view, Suvarnabhumi was poorly planned and constructed.

Just my opinion.

Marc

christao17

Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:37 pm

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 19):
I am sure it will close some day.

Sure... all things in this world will go away eventually, but I'm thinking that Suvarnabhumi will probably still be in service for the next four or five generations.

Quoting Fuffla (Reply 22):
Is Suvarnabhumi already at total capacity?

Quoting Fridgmus (Reply 23):
According to the Bangkok Post, Suvarnabhumi is almost at full capacity, so the move, if it happens, of non-connecting domestic flights should help ease that.

From a laymen's point of view, Suvarnabhumi was poorly planned and constructed.

Technically, it has a few million more people of annual passenger capacity, approximately two years' worth of projected growth. To echo Marc's opinion, though, it wasn't very strategically designed to meet future needs.

lnglive1011yyz

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 17):
It was originally named that a long time ago. They knew foreigners would not pronounce it right and this was long before they actually started the construction, then it was named to Suvarnabhumi as time went to refer to Thailand itself.

This is an interesting thing to read -- The name Nong Ngu Hao appears to be easier to speak than Suvarnabhumi.. Considering everything I've read says that Suvarnabhumi is actually pronounced "Soo-wan-a-poom.".

I'd suggest that people who aren't familiar, are going to pronounce it "Su-var-na-boo-me."

Interesting!

1011yyz

EurostarVA

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:15 pm

As a passenger who passed through the terminal for less than 25 minutes back in November, this does not come as a surprise.

The terminal condition (everything from finishes to lighting) was truly deplorable and I was in disbelief that this eyesore represented the "New Thailand".

Obviously it they close it down this mean that serious lapses in safety +navigation are also involved...
If there is a will, there is a way

BigTom

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:20 pm

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 25):

This is an interesting thing to read -- The name Nong Ngu Hao appears to be easier to speak than Suvarnabhumi.. Considering everything I've read says that Suvarnabhumi is actually pronounced "Soo-wan-a-poom.".

I'd suggest that people who aren't familiar, are going to pronounce it "Su-var-na-boo-me."

It is actually pronounced Su-var-na-bhoo-me in Sanskrit/Pali from where the name derived (meaning Golden Land). But Thai speakers pronounce it Su-vanna-phoom. B sounds tends to become P while the 'r' is left out.

Cheers

malaysia

Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:56 pm

I just call it the New Bangkok Airport

thus I only consider Don Muang.  Smile

CX Flyboy

Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:35 am

...actually, although the airport does need maintenance work, and there are areas which are of a very strange design, if you compare it to the old airport, I kind of like it. Some parts of it are very nice I think, and hopefully once they sort out the mess and it is running as it should, it will get the praise that they expected to get.

christao17

Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:06 am

Quoting Lnglive1011yyz (Reply 25):

The final "i" when written in Thai is not pronounced. The government has a policy of transliterating into English and including even the consonants and vowels and that are not pronounced.

For example, the deposed prime minister's last name is Shinawatra, but is pronounced "Shinawat."

Now you know why signs (especially street signs) here have so many different English spellings.

In the meantime, I'm staking my money on Suvarnabhumi not closing. The talk of all that is a political ploy for the new government to add weight to its investigation of corruption in the former prime minister's government.

Moving all the airlines back to the old airport and then returning them to the new airport again would be an expense the government couldn't bear, not to mention an even larger public relations disaster than Suvarnabhumi already is.

fridgmus

Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:06 pm

"Four incoming flights diverted to U-Tapao"

From the 26 January edition of the Bangkok Post.

"Four incoming flights were diverted from Bangkok to U-Tapao for refuelling yesterday after being held in a holding pattern for too long - a delay caused by repairs to Suvarnabhumi Airport's cracked runway.

Tortrakul Yomnak, a board member of Airports of Thailand (AoT) said one Nok Air flight, one Thai AirAsia flight and two Thai Air international flights, from Japan and Singapore had to land at U-tapao airport at about 3pm to take on extra fuel. Afterwards they flew back to Suvarnabhumi.

Large aircraft had to circle above Suvarnabhumi because only its eastern runway could serve them yesterday.

The western runway was partially closed for repairs to its cracked take-off area. The repair work cut its usable length from 4,000 meters to 2,500 meters and it could serve only relatively small aircraft.

The repairs were expected to be completed late last night.

Transport Minister Theera Haocharoen visited Suvarnabhumi airport yesterday to inspect damage to both the runway and the taxiways.

He acknowledged there were over 100 damaged spots in 25 areas. Seven areas have been repaired and the repairs to each area will take about two weeks. He admitted the damage and repairs were inconveniencing passengers.

Because of the cracked taxiways, aircraft cannot approach 11 of the total 51 parking aprons. The closure of those areas was causing heavy congestion and many planes were forced to use remote parking areas.

An Aot source said about 10 of the total 102 concertina-like airbridges were also unusable because they developed cracks. This caused the total closure of the concourse D5 section.

Adm Theera yesterday also ordered the relocation of 12 electrical control cabinets for the passenger terminal for safety reasons.

The cabinets control the electrical and lighting systems of the whole terminal and were installed on the hot rooftop of the terminal to maximise usable space inside the terminal. The minister was concerned that the overheated cabinets could break down or even catch fire.

The AoT board met yesterday but made no decision on the transfer of any AoT executives over the problems at Suvarnabhumi airport. It will consider revamping the whole of the AoT management at a later stage.

Mr Tortrakul said the AoT board has found that King Power International Group occupies larger commercial areas that it's contract allows.

The contract allows King Power to use 25,000 square meters but the firm's actual commercial areas, including those leased to sub-contractors, together total about 36,000 square meters, he said.

The issue would have to be corrected because commercial areas were obstructing the movements of passengers.

Income from the shops was not the main concern of the AoT, he said.

Mr Tortrakul said the AoT board ws investigating whether there were any irregularities in the bidding for the contract that allows King Power to manage all commercial space in the passenger terminal.

A source on the AoT board said shops would have to be removed so the overall commercial area matched the space allowed by the contract."

And it just keeps going and going.....

Marc

flysherwood

Sat Jan 27, 2007 5:27 am

Quoting Christao17 (Reply 24):
Technically, it has a few million more people of annual passenger capacity, approximately two years' worth of projected growth. To echo Marc's opinion, though, it wasn't very strategically designed to meet future needs.

Didn't it take almost 20 years to build this airport?

christao17

Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:55 pm

Quoting Flysherwood (Reply 32):
Didn't it take almost 20 years to build this airport?

No, it took about five. However, the idea of building a new airport in that location first surfaced about forty years ago.

BigTom

Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:13 pm

Looks like more trouble ahead ...

Aviation authorities refuse to extend safety certificate for BKK

http://edition.cnn.com/2007/TRAVEL/01/27/thailand.airport.ap/

Quote:
Aviation authorities have refused to extend an international safety certificate for Bangkok's new international airport, a senior official said Saturday, dealing another blow to the problem-plagued facility.

With runway and tarmac repairs at Suvarnabhumi airport still under way, the Department of Civil Aviation decided Friday not to renew its interim safety certificate, which expired a day earlier. The airport can, however, continue to operate without the license.

Somchai Sawasdeepon, the airport's general manager, said the airport also has yet to set up a safety committee as required by the International Civil Aviation Organization because authorities are "busy resolving others problems."

The International Civil Aviation Organization has made it a requirement for international airports to hold an Aerodrome Certificate -- aimed at standardizing global airport operations. Suvarnabhumi can nonetheless continue to operate without the certificate because it has yet to incorporate that requirement into law.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos