Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

eajpecrca
Topic Author

Prince Charles Flies Commercial

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:24 am

I don't usually follow this kind of thing, but since he came to my area--Philadelphia-- the other day on a BA regular flight, it's piqued my interest! Why would he fly commercial? How often does that happen? What special accommodations would such a flight receive from ATC, etc? The flight arrived early in PHL, so that's noteworthy!

PanHAM

RE: Prince Charles Flies Commercial

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:40 am

The question is : why not? They block the F cabin and he is driven direct to the aircraft, no waiting lines, no security checks. That may be a bit less comfortable than a private jet but gives much better press.
Was Erlauben Erdogan!!!

iclcy

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:41 am

He flew commercial because he's been getting alot of flak from certain elements of British press/Anti Royal/Environmental groups that it wouldn't be very 'green' for the 'green' Prince to charter a flight for a two/three day trip to recieve an environmental award.

He recently canx the annual skiing holday to Kloisters for the same reason(so it was reported).

Prince Charles, is an advocate of organic farming, buying local, conservation, etc. He has his own line of natural/organic food products 'Duchy' - he's the Duchy of Cornwall. His large country estate Highgrove, is farmed & managed organically.

soups

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:41 am

Many royalties/presidents fly on commercial airlines, Recently Kofi anan flew AZ to Ghana for his retirement.
Next destinations, Suarabaya, beirut, paris, Accra

Lite

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:42 am

Prince Charles is keen to publicise himself, at least here in the UK, as the "Green Prince" and has been championing environmental causes. Rather than using a whole aircraft to himself and his entourage, he would prefer to use an aircraft that was already heading for the destination, thus limiting the carbon footprint of his trip. Economically, it also substantially reduces the cost to the British taxpayer and supports British industry.
LCC Lover Lite

8herveg

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:47 am

I thought he was chartering a private 757?

Quoting IcLCY (Reply 2):
He recently canx the annual skiing holday to Kloisters for the same reason(so it was reported).

Whats that got to do with the environment? Do they normally hire a private jet to get there?

Instead of cancelling it, he could just fly Club Europe to Zurich surely?

eajpecrca
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:51 am

Thanks for the insights. He and Camilla seem to have made a good impression in Philadelphia. Speaking of 'footprints,' he actually walked to church Sunday morning!

WestJetYQQ

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:54 am

Flying Commercially may me just a LITTLE more cost effective than a private jat, don't ya think?  Wink
Will You Try to Change Things? Use the Power that you have, the Power of a Million new Ideas.

Door5Right

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:55 am

The Royal Family frequently fly commercial services, usually British Airways. Her Majesty The Queen, and entourage, flew to New Zealand in 1995 on Air New Zealand in the First Clas Cabin.

Evidently other passengers had a clue a VVIP might be travelling with them by the sniffer dogs going up and down the line at check-in!
My soul is in the sky...

LordHowe

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:01 am

He has to fly commercial, because his mother tells him to. At least that is the case according to the film "The Queen". Poor Charles wanted to fly to Paris when Diana had had the car accident, but the mother didn't let him to use private jet ...

Okey, yes! It was a movie.

Regards,
LordHowe
Lord Howe Island - The Last Paradise

georgiaame

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:04 am

And the thankful planet is just a bit cooler for his bold, sweeping actions! Here, Here!

Nixon did it too, once.

Whatever
"Trust, but verify!" An old Russian proverb, quoted often by a modern American hero

AerospaceFan

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:10 am

Quoting Door5Right (Reply 8):
The Royal Family frequently fly commercial services, usually British Airways. Her Majesty The Queen, and entourage, flew to New Zealand in 1995 on Air New Zealand in the First Clas Cabin.

I can see the advertising slogans now:

British Airways and Air New Zealand, respectively: "First Class Fit for a Monarch".

British Airways: "First Class Fit for a Prince and his Royal Consort, Too".

Smile

Who wouldn't want to fly on an aircraft also flown on by people like that who could have anything they want? (Besides Anti-Royalists, I suppose.)
What's fair is fair.

globetrekker

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:16 am

The Dutch Royal Family also flies commercial (mostly KLM) on long-haul sectors. When visiting The Netherlands Antilles & Aruba what they did was block the whole upper cabin sector and remove some seats, thereby creating more space. While in the Dutch Caribbean she had a Fokker F70 private plane to fly her between the islands.

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Manfred Biel

Globe Trekker
The World Is A Book And Those Who Do Not Travel Read Only A Page

Door5Right

Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:25 am

Prince Charles made a famous comment on British Airways seating which only came to light last year when extracts from some of his diaries made the press.

It was in connection with the chartered BA 747 taking him and the Government officials to Hong Kong for the handover (or should that be handback) to China in 1997.

He wrote: "A chartered British Airways 747 took a large party of official representatives from Heathrow to Hong Kong and I found myself and my staff on the top deck in what is normally Club Class.

It took me some time to realise that this was not First Class (!), although it puzzled me as to why the seat seemed so uncomfortable.

I then discovered that others (he lists a whole group of politicians) were comfortably ensconced in First Class immediately below us. 'Such is the end of the Empire', I said to myself."

I wonder if his scheduled flight this trip had the new seating installed and whether he found it comfortable or not!
My soul is in the sky...

eajpecrca
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:00 am

Just found this on the Philadelphia Inquirer website re Charles' carbon footprint

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/news/nation/16564825.htm

Seems the Royal family must rightly justify their relevance/usefulness in today's world.

vega

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:07 am

Up until a short time before the trip, it was announced the flight would be on a Private 757, but because of flack from environmentalist groups (as mentioned in a previous post), it was changed to the entire First Class section of a regularly scheduled BA 777 to Philadelphia. After Philadelphia, they are taking a Private train to New York for a 1 day award ceremony and then back to London.
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

Bongodog1964

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:15 am

Quoting Vega (Reply 16):
Up until a short time before the trip, it was announced the flight would be on a Private 757, but because of flack from environmentalist groups (as mentioned in a previous post), it was changed to the entire First Class section of a regularly scheduled BA 777 to Philadelphia. After Philadelphia, they are taking a Private train to New York for a 1 day award ceremony and then back to London.

A private 757 would not be a usual mode of travel for the UK Royal family. As mentioned by various posters long haul is usually BA 1st class. Short haul is often by the Royal flight BA146. I can't recall even the Queen having exclusive use of an aircraft in recent times. At one stage RAF VC10's were used, but this ceased some while ago.

8herveg

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:37 am

How are they getting back to London? BA flight from New York?

gooner

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:42 am

This trip is still costing the British taxpayer £90000
You would think that if Charles Windsor was really keen to prove his green credentials he would have just accepted his award by video-link instead of causing all that pollution flying to the USA

AerospaceFan

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:48 am

Quoting Gooner (Reply 19):
You would think that if Charles Windsor was really keen to prove his green credentials he would have just accepted his award by video-link instead of causing all that pollution flying to the USA

For that matter, in that case, "Windsor" isn't even his real name, is it? I believe that the surname was changed a few generations ago so that it would seem more English.

In any event, so long as Britain has a Royal family, it should give it a measure of dignity in the things that it does, and everything is relative. Compared with what he could have required -- a private jet -- what he did was comparatively green.

You can't have everything in life, whether a prince or environmentalist.

Offered as simply my opinion.
What's fair is fair.

lincoln

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:51 am

Quoting PanHAM (Reply 1):
The question is : why not? They block the F cabin and he is driven direct to the aircraft, no waiting lines, no security checks. That may be a bit less comfortable than a private jet but gives much better press.

Just out of curiosity more than anything else, how does this work -- for example, what about passengers who had already purchased a first class ticket on the flight in question? Or is this travel arranged so far in advance that that's not a concern?

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

gooner

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:08 am

To AerospaceFan
they changed their name from the German name SaxeCoburg after World War 1
i dont see why i should show any dignity to a bunch of freeloading hypocrites,but that is just my opinion

mariner

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:17 am

I think it's all great. A bit of fun, a bit of color, whether he flies First Class or private jet.

It's a nice change from all those self-serving politicians who come to think that God appointed them.

Smile

mariner
aeternum nauta

vv701

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:36 am

Quoting AerospaceFan (Reply 20):
For that matter, in that case, "Windsor" isn't even his real name, is it? I believe that the surname was changed a few generations ago so that it would seem more English

Quoting Gooner (Reply 22):
they changed their name from the German name SaxeCoburg after World War 1

Up until 1917 the British Royal Family's were members of the House of Wettin, a branch of the Saxe Coburg family and their (Germanic) surname was 'Wettin'. In view of World War 1 'Wettin' was deemed inappropriate and was changed to 'Windsor'. Since then the formal and 'real' surname of all the immediate Royal Family has been Windsor. The exceptions are Prince Philip (who married into the Royal family and retained his surname of Mountbatten, changed from the Germanic Battenburg during the Nazi era) and those female members of the family excepting the Queen who are married.

Quoting Gooner (Reply 19):

A somewhat unusual view from a member of a-net who seems to be proposing that flying and aircraft could be replaced by video conferencing.

gooner

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:49 am

To WV701
i have no problem with flying or aircraft, my problem is with peoples hypocricy
e.g Air miles Andy perhaps Charles should look a bit closer to home rather than lecturing people like me

parisien

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:51 am

would be cool if he writes a TR for us here !

mariner

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:01 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 24):
Up until 1917 the British Royal Family's were members of the House of Wettin, a branch of the Saxe Coburg family and their (Germanic) surname was 'Wettin'.

Hmmm?

I thought Queen Victoria's legal last name, her married name, was Guelph, as in Victoria Guelph.

One of her daughters became a Wettin by marriage, but I thought the rest of the children (including the future king, Edward 7) had the last name "Sachsen Coburg Gotha".

I could be wrong.

mariner
aeternum nauta

gooner

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:03 am

To VV701
Dont forget William and Harry Hewitt go by the surname Wales
I remember seeing their nametags in the media when they joined the army

Devilfish

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:17 am

Quoting Door5Right (Reply 13):

He wrote: "A chartered British Airways 747 took a large party of official representatives from Heathrow to Hong Kong and I found myself and my staff on the top deck in what is normally Club Class. It took me some time to realise that this was not First Class (!), although it puzzled me as to why the seat seemed so uncomfortable. I then discovered that others (he lists a whole group of politicians) were comfortably ensconced in First Class immediately below us. 'Such is the end of the Empire', I said to myself."

Perhaps, the Chancellor of the Exchequer moving to 10 Downing St. might revive images of the "Empire" even if only in this guise?.....

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Andreas Müller - Spotterteam Graz

Quoting Mariner (Reply 23):
I think it's all great. A bit of fun, a bit of color, whether he flies First Class or private jet.

With that at least, charges of hypocrisy, flying First Class or private jet could be parried.
"Everyone is entitled to my opinion." - Garfield

eajpecrca
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:04 am

This from a Philadelphia TV website:

"The prince and duchess will begin their day Sunday at Arch Street Presbyterian Church, the spiritual home of the Welsh community in Philadelphia. It is the home of the Welsh Library and the chapel of St. David, patron saint of Wales."

I don't know much about the royal family's history, but a question: how close are Charles' personal ties to Wales? Or are these honorifics that get passed on? I've learned a lot from this thread already!

jetdeltamsy

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:28 am

The Royal Family of the United Kingdom flies commercially all the time...worldwide. As do almost all royal families from Europe.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

seabok

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:48 am

While I believe Prince Charles is very environmentally-minded, I can't help but wonder whether his cancelled skiing trip doesn't have more to do with the fact that Europe has had relatively little snow this season...

mariner

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:02 pm

Quoting Eajpecrca (Reply 29):
Or are these honorifics that get passed on? I've learned a lot from this thread already!

It's an honorific. The immediate heir to the British throne is (usually)accorded the title Prince of Wales. It has never gone to a woman in her own right, only, as in the case of Princess Diana, through marriage - the wife (or ex-wife as it turned out) of the Prince.

However, it gets complicated. It is also given only to the heir apparent (Charles), someone who cannot be displaced from the succession.

If Charles were to die next week, William, presently the heir presumptive, would still be "a" prince of Wales, but he would not be "the" Prince of Wales until the Queen invested him with the title.

Because Charles sons are royal born, they are immediately princes. But you have to be a Prince of Somewhere - you can't usually just be a prince (unless you are children of the reigning monarch). So they take their father's principality, and can call themselves, rightly, William Wales and Harry Wales. Their father is entitled to sign his name simply as "Wales".

But William and Harry's legal name, last name, surname, whatever, is still Windsor. However, out of respect for their grandfather and great uncle, Mountbatten was added, so the full real name is name "Mountbatten-Windsor".

mariner

[Edited 2007-01-29 04:09:37]
aeternum nauta

jimbobjoe

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:14 pm

Quoting LordHowe (Reply 9):
He has to fly commercial, because his mother tells him to. At least that is the case according to the film "The Queen". Poor Charles wanted to fly to Paris when Diana had had the car accident, but the mother didn't let him to use private jet ...

She did, in the end, allow him to use the private jet.  Smile

As I've understood it, the Royal Family do have access to RAF jets (and that was noted in a previous comment.) Whether they use them or not seems to be their discretion.

Tony Blair, on the other hand, *doesn't* have unfettered access to private jets. He and his family fly commercial when they are not performing government business.

Apparently only the head of state gets the jets, but the prime minister isn't technically the head of state, so he doesn't get those types of perks when he's not doing government business.

scouse

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:22 pm

How many air miles did he get and was it a complimentry upgrade as he must be at least gold with BA?
Love to fly

gh123

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:28 pm

Quoting Lite (Reply 4):
Rather than using a whole aircraft to himself and his entourage, he would prefer to use an aircraft that was already heading for the destination, thus limiting the carbon footprint of his trip. Economically, it also substantially reduces the cost to the British taxpayer and supports British industry.

Good post

Quoting LordHowe (Reply 9):

Okey, yes! It was a movie.

Idiotic. According to the film. What would they know?! As a Brit, I will never watch that nonsense. I know that many of my friends who say that movie actually walked out on it.

canuckpaxguy

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:39 pm

Quoting Lite (Reply 4):
Economically, it also substantially reduces the cost to the British taxpayer and supports British industry.

I was under the impression that all of the Prince of Wales' expenses (including his stipend) are paid through the Dutchy of Cornwall purse, and NOT the civil list.

Is that not the case any longer?

G

TinkerBelle

Mon Jan 29, 2007 12:43 pm

So, I suppose BA had sold some First class seats on that flight already. What happens to those pax when the prince all of a sudden decided to use the whole F class cabin? Get re-booked on next day's flight? I suppose some people wouldn't be too happy about that! I know I wouldn't.
If you are going through hell, keep going.

jimbobjoe

Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:06 pm

Quoting Gh123 (Reply 35):
Idiotic. According to the film. What would they know?!

While many elements of the film are inferred, I have understood the Queen's initial refusal to allow the body to be carried by Royal Jet to be a well documented incident. (Though, to be fair, I can't seem to find any challenge or verification one way or another.)

Indeed, I can't find any criticism for the film's factual content at all. But I might not be searching the right way.

fbgdavidson

Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:27 pm

Was it really a 777? I've been away this weekend reading various papers and news sources and a 747 was mentioned and PHL is now a 767/777 destination. This could have explained why the flight I was on this evening (BA293 LHR-IAD) was in fact a 777 as opposed to the usual 747. The 747 used on the IAD route could have been sent to pick up the Royal party. This could make sense as apparently some of the other flunkies took up seats in J so they could have been seated upstairs away from the other passengers. Quite why flunkies would need that treatment I'm not sure.

Quoting TinkerBelle (Reply 37):
What happens to those pax when the prince all of a sudden decided to use the whole F class cabin? Get re-booked on next day's flight?

Probably downgraded to Club World with a hefty MCO to boot.

Quoting Gooner (Reply 21):
i dont see why i should show any dignity to a bunch of freeloading hypocrites,but that is just my opinion

Yawn. Freedloading hypocrites that generate more in tourist revenue than they cost the country? Nice!

Quoting Gooner (Reply 18):

IT WAS A SCHEDULED FLIGHT! The plane was going with or without him onboard! The weight of the added passengers and their bags would have added a rather infinitesimal increase to the pollution already created by the aircraft  Yeah sure

Quoting Gooner (Reply 27):
Dont forget William and Harry Hewitt

Yeah sure Yawn. I'm no royalist but it gets really rather tedious when people decide to mudsling off the back of the old rather tedious, unthought through insults against them.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

UAEflyer

Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 pm

I don't know what is the big deal in not having a VIP fleet for the United Kingdom or (the kingdom that the sun never sets on).
Japan Emperor fly on a dedicated VIP Boeing 747-400, USA president fly 747, French president fly A340-200, even Condoleezza Rice fly a VIP 757.

Why cant Her Majesty the Queen of United Kingdom of Great Britain, Canada, Australia, Commonwealth ,,,etc fly into a 747 or maybe A380??
If it is a matter of taxpayer, look where The Right Honorable Mr. Blair spending your tax money, he is sending your boys to Iraq to die there!!

well just an opinion

BoomBoom

Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:03 pm

Quoting Gooner (Reply 27):
Dont forget William and Harry Hewitt go by the surname Wales

oh!
You're naughty...
 rotfl   rotfl 
Our eyes are open, our eyes are open--wide, wide, wide...

N1120A

Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:22 pm

Quoting Gooner (Reply 21):
i dont see why i should show any dignity to a bunch of freeloading hypocrites

Because they own your country  Wink
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

jbernie

Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:25 pm

Cost wise it might be close...pollution wise a commercial flight, hopefully full, works a lot better than a privatr 757 travelling light weight when it comes to the green side. I don't think he can win on both counts.

As to Monarchy and Head of States etc flying, as much as I can see the cost being excessive, i do not object to it in any way. As is well documented, Air Force 1 is basically a flying White House/Command & Control center. It serves multiple purposes.

Also in the case of the flights into such hospitable and politcally stable places such as down town Bahgdad I really do not see too many commercial airlines wanting to see their jets going there... the company heads wouldn't sleep the whole time the plane was anywhere near such a place  Smile... let alone insurance costs if something happened.

In this case, so long as the the VIP is well protected and no safety issues are raised they can fly commerical if so desired, though admittedly a 747 upper deck seat is possibly the safer place to put them as it is much more secluded.

UAEflyer

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:41 pm

Quoting Jbernie (Reply 43):
a 747 upper deck seat is possibly the safer place to put them as it is much more secluded

The Amir (Prince of) Kuwait fly a commercial 747 but VIP configured only in the upper deck, the lower deck is a normal pax configuration.

bimmerkid19

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:00 pm

It seems that this plane gets around!! there are pictures in the database of it at AKL and KUL in 2006. Jeez that's a long long ways from home!
Last flights: LH 3738 MUC - ZRH , LH 3749 ZRH - MUC . Upcoming: EK 50 MUC - DXB 3-aug. and EK 322 DXB - ICN 7- Aug.

ptrjong

Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:43 pm

Quoting GlobeTrekker (Reply 12):
The Dutch Royal Family also flies commercial (mostly KLM) on long-haul sectors. When visiting The Netherlands Antilles & Aruba what they did was block the whole upper cabin sector and remove some seats, thereby creating more space. While in the Dutch Caribbean she had a Fokker F70 private plane to fly her between the islands.

Which is even worse for the Dutch taxpayer (me) and the environment. She flies KLM on a €€€ VIP basis and yet the government Fokker has to be ferried out to the colonies, as well.

Peter
The only difference between me and a madman is that I am not mad (Salvador Dali)

rootsair

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:57 pm

Quoting IcLCY (Reply 2):
Kloisters

that would mean Klosters  Smile
A man without the knowledge of his past history,culture and origins is like a tree without roots

BCAL

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:29 pm

Quoting Door5Right (Reply 13):
It took me some time to realise that this was not First Class (!), although it puzzled me as to why the seat seemed so uncomfortable.

I then discovered that others (he lists a whole group of politicians) were comfortably ensconced in First Class immediately below us. 'Such is the end of the Empire', I said to myself."

Makes you wonder why some politicians put themselves above the Royal family. After all, Tony B Liar is the Queen's servant, not a Head of State, who leads the party with the largest majority. From the fuss that Mrs Bliar makes, she must think she is far more important than the Queen (and she refuses to curtsy to the Queen although she would willingly curtsy to a thug like Robert Mugabe).

At least Prince Charles is setting a good example. Perhaps he will have a word with brother Andy telling him to take U2 for his next trip to the golf club in Scotland!
MOL on SRB's latest attack at BA: "It's like a little Chihuahua barking at a dying Labrador. Nobody cares."

Joost

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:31 pm

Quoting Ptrjong (Reply 46):
Which is even worse for the Dutch taxpayer (me)

The contribution of the Dutch taxpayer to the royal family isn't that much. It is fairly difficult to indicate what we exactly pay for the queen, and it's even more difficult to indicate what the rewards are of the existance of the queen, in the area of public relations.

The costs of these trips are basically incurred by the ministries that are reponsible for the trip; for the Antilles, this is Internal Affairs (Binnenlandse Zaken en Koninkrijksrelaties). However, this also includes travel of ministers or other executives. The total expenses here are 9 million euros per year (2007), so only 60 eurocents per capita.

Here you can find the total expenses and the complete explantation: (in Dutch)
http://www.rijksbegroting.nl/default...¬a=mn&hfds=40.11&tab1=mn&tab2=0

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos