wingedarrow
Topic Author

What If Alitalia Merged With Olympic?

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:36 am

Despite its heavy losses for the year 2006, (see http://fr.biz.yahoo.com/28012007/202...-environ-380-millions-d-euros.html - in French), AZA is still looking for a benefactor who could buy it. The situation of the Italian carrier is quite similar to that of OAL: a state-owned company with financial problems and a big question mark for the future.

So, what if the two airlines merged together, became privatized with a joint management and created a leader group in the Mediterranean basin, concentrating particularly on the North African and the Near Estern markets?

optimist 
אליטליה

Qantas744er

RE: What If Alitalia Merged With Olympic?

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:38 am

Quoting Wingedarrow (Thread starter):
Despite its heavy losses for the year 2006, (see http://fr.biz.yahoo.com/28012007/202...-environ-380-millions-d-euros.html - in French), AZA is still looking for a benefactor who could buy it. The situation of the Italian carrier is quite similar to that of OAL: a state-owned company with financial problems and a big question mark for the future.

So, what if the two airlines merged together, became privatized with a joint management and created a leader group in the Mediterranean basin, concentrating particularly on the North African and the Near Estern markets?

Well in the end the Pizza would just get bigger but still not be tasty.. Wink

Leo :P
You live and you die, by the FMA

DL777LAX

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:43 am

umm... I predict that if they merged in February, they would go chapter 7 by March. Both airlines are highly mismanaged and have tons of debt. combine the two, and you got something that just will not last.
Blindly following anything is bad, unless of course your blind and your following a guide dog.

nycfly75

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:47 am

Two Words: No Way

I want the best for AZ, not that. Seeing that you worked for AF, perhaps this is a scenario you guys would love, a merger with OA would be something AF would love as it would be a death sentence for AZ as well as OA, which would allow AF to slither right in.

[Edited 2007-01-28 23:00:05]

OA260

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:53 am

This was suggested before on another thread and from OA's side I say NO WAY !!! We need AZ like a hole in the head!!!

CIAO

nycfly75

Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:54 am

Quoting OA260 (Reply 4):
This was suggested before on another thread and from OA's side I say NO WAY !!! We need AZ like a hole in the head!!!

CIAO

Its would be AF's dream to get rid of both.

wingedarrow
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:16 am

Quoting DL777LAX (Reply 2):
Both airlines are highly mismanaged

Of course they should change their own managements before an hypothetical merger. And above all, they should get rid of politics in both cases...

Quoting OA260 (Reply 4):
and from OA's side I say NO WAY

I don't think you are in a position to be fussy, neither is Alitalia... Anyway, mine was just a provocative proposal, after a one-million-solutions list heard recently on how to save AZA...

Quoting Nycfly75 (Reply 3):
Seeing that you worked for AF

Even if I work for the French airlines that doesn't mean that I don't care about my country's affairs. That's really sad to see AZA struggling so hard to survive, and a happy ending is the thing I would love the most.
אליטליה

ERJ170

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:20 am

Hmm.. GrecoRoman Airways....

I like it. Pizza served on every flight.. Canolli's for dessert!

Oh yeah!
Aiming High and going far..

MEACEDAR

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:26 am

If AZ and OA were to merge you would have one screwed up airline. OA=BAD , AZ=BAD, put them together and you get=WORSE!!!

wingedarrow
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:36 am

OA=BAD , AZ=BAD, put them together and you get=WORSE!!!

Nooo, that's the opposite... Don't you remember the mathematical rule - x - = + ? They'd be perfect together  

[Edited 2007-01-28 23:37:03]

[Edited 2007-01-28 23:38:25]
אליטליה

legacy135

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:52 am

Well, putting to sick patients in one bed wouldn't cure anybody. But the chance that they infect eachother with it's particular disease, leading to a quick death of both is rather high.

Cheers
Legacy135 Wink

nycfly75

Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:57 am

Quoting Wingedarrow (Reply 6):
Even if I work for the French airlines that doesn't mean that I don't care about my country's affairs.

I wasnt questioning your love for Italy, it was strictly a business comment.

It is amazing though how "pipe dreams" get discussed to death on a.net.

HBIHLtoEZE

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:01 am

Well, in maths minus times minus makes plus...in that case, highly doubtful however. It is still hard to get that these two outlived SR...

Still a treat though to see birds around of the two probably most criticised airlines (FR aside) in Europe: their liveries are classics and will be missed dearly when one or both of them fold (what is expected every year since I started becoming an aviation enthusiast - in 1994).

Cheers
Our battered suitcases were piled on the sidewalk again; we had longer ways to go. But no matter, the road is life.

exFATboy

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:47 am

What was that comment that one of the Wall Street analysts made about the US/UA merger proposal, "tying two rocks together to see if they would float"?

Except in an Alitalia/Olympic merger, it would be more like tying two pieces of depleted uranium together...the debt load is just too great.

Now if you let both of them go into their national equivalents of Chapter 7, then let a new (and competent) management group buy up the assets, strike a rational deal with labour, and restart, then you might have something good. Of course, it'd work just as well for each to do this separately first.

LTU932

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:13 am

If there was such a merger, would you think a total privatisation of the two companies would ever happen? I personally don't think so. Even with the current bids for AZ, the Italian government doesn't seem to be very interested in a full privatisation of AZ and will most likely keep a controlling stake of the company. AZ should probably have been privatised years ago, same with OA. If properly executed, a full privatisation of a cash-strapped or even close to insolvent airline can work wonders, LH (which was somewhat close to bankruptcy in 1992 and was fully privatised during their restructuring programme) is a prime example of this.
Sometimes the only thing more dangerous than a question is an answer. - Ferengi Rule of Acquisition 208

WesternA318

Mon Jan 29, 2007 3:36 pm

Quoting ExFATboy (Reply 13):
strike a rational deal with labour

In Greece, there is no such thing as "rational labour"

anax

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:24 pm

Quoting Wingedarrow (Thread starter):
What If Alitalia Merged With Olympic?

that would be greek tragedy with italian subtitles.

no way it ' d work.
god is a spotter!!!

WesternA318

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting Anax (Reply 16):
that would be greek tragedy with italian subtitles.

rotfl  Oh so sad, but so very true...  rotfl 

ZRHnerd

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:41 pm

Quoting HBIHLtoEZE (Reply 12):
It is still hard to get that these two outlived SR...

yes  I couldnt agree more. If both Italy and Greece were as overbureaucratised (sp?) as Switzerland, both AZ and OA would have been gone for a long time.

a3

Mon Jan 29, 2007 4:50 pm

This is not even fictional.

I can’t imagine the two burocratic organizations now that are working sole can’t produce a serious plan for their savior when the get together to produce a major reform working plan !!!
In both countries the labor unions are reluctant to any change and the politicians are struggle between doing the right thing (close down their operations) and running a country (that will be almost paralyzed from the strikes if the y do the right thing.)
Don't spend your money on airlines that don't respect your business.

StarGoldLHR

Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:55 pm

Tying together two sinking ships wont make them float.

Those thinking Emirates might save them are joking too...

Emirates would need to fire everyone, replace the management, replace the planes... better let it go and start fresh... Charles Darwin applies to airlines to.
So far in 2008 45 flights and Gold already. JFK, IAD, LGA, SIN, HKG, NRT, AKL, PPT, LAX still to book ! Home Airport LCY

ANother

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:25 pm

Can't happen. The result would either be Greek or Italian - and a Greek Airline can't exercise Italian traffic rights and v.v. (OK within the EU anything is possible, but to/from the EU the ancient rules of ownership and control continue to apply)

art

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:32 pm

Quoting Wingedarrow (Reply 9):
Nooo, that's the opposite... Don't you remember the mathematical rule - x - = + ? They'd be perfect together

Unfortunately a merger would not be multiplying one negative value by another to produce a positive value. Combining two negative values results in a larger negative value.  Smile

Here are the correct formulae:

1 unsuccessful airline x 1 unsuccessful airline = 1 very successful airline
1 unsuccessful airline + 1 unsuccessful airline = 1 even less successful airline

afay1

Mon Jan 29, 2007 10:38 pm

Holy Canoli! After that merger the combined employees and their different unions could effectively be on strike every single day of the year!

wingedarrow
Topic Author

Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:44 pm

Quoting Anax (Reply 16):
that would be greek tragedy with italian subtitles

rotfl   rotfl   rotfl 
אליטליה

A342

Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:41 am

Quoting ERJ170 (Reply 7):
Hmm.. GrecoRoman Airways....

I like it. Pizza served on every flight..

God beware, you might get served pasta !  Wink

Seriously, the proposal is ridiculous. After a few months' time, all there's left would be a big mess...
Exceptions confirm the rule.

A350

Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:05 am

In german, we'd call it an alliance between a lame one and someone suffering from a foot desease.

Cheers

A350

solnabo

Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:20 am

A blind leading a blind if AlItalia & Olympic merged.

twocents 

Micke//  Wink
Airbus SAS - Love them both

wingedarrow
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:27 am

Thank you all for you kind words of appreciation!  rotfl 

My project of "Mediterranea" resulting from the merger between AZA and OAL lasted the space of this forum... RIP  tombstone 
אליטליה

AwysBSB

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:21 pm

Wingedarrow,
Your project (which is out of the mainstream thinking) lasted an unprofessional space.
Anyway, you brought an interesting issue for discussion and I hope you keep animated to make other threads like this.

wingedarrow
Topic Author

Tue Jan 30, 2007 10:54 pm

Thank you so much AwysBSB, you're a rose among the artichokes!

I knew that such a proposal would have faced a negative reaction, but is always funny to see if a strange idea could be shared by others.

Wink
אליטליה

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos