Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

BALAX
Topic Author

What's Going On At NW?

Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:05 pm

Just flew NW43 last Sunday(Jan 28) LGW-MSP and I must say that it was great being on a brand spanking new A330. The flight was 1 hour shorter than normal and it was half empty. The IFE on the plane was great. However, I couldn't fail to notice that the flight attendants weren't too friendly from the getgo. Not a smile, just a quick hello and that was it. I was seated in 11A which is right off the galley and most of the flight they spent it in there chatting away. The beverage service was somewhat poor. Flight attendant forgot to bring my coffee. She remembered 20 minutes later(at least I didn't have to say anything).Not to mention the cockpit crew didn't bother to make any announcements whatsoever. The only time they came on was to advise the flight attendants to prepare for takeoff and off we went. I have never noticed this before as I travel often. So I'm assuming that NW staff are still not happy with current work conditions? What are relations like nowadays?

burnsie28

RE: What's Going On At NW?

Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:01 am

Going to Germany the other weekend on NW I had the complete opposite of your experience, however, typically on international flights like those long ones, the pilots don't usually make too many announcements. The only time ours did was right after take off and right before landing. The reason is a lot of people just want to sleep so the PA system can easily awaken people. The FA's came around plenty of times during the night flight, I was in business so I can't tell yah too much other then the Y FA's came up front several times looking for other beverages and other amenities.

BALAX
Topic Author

Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:38 pm

I understand that. Usually an announcement after takeoff is what I'm used to, but there was nada, nothing.

Dtw757

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:06 pm

Quoting BALAX (Thread starter):
I was seated in 11A which is right off the galley and most of the flight they spent it in there chatting away. The beverage service was somewhat poor

Quoting BALAX (Thread starter):
I couldn't fail to notice that the flight attendants weren't too friendly from the getgo

Many of these flight attendants are very disgruntled. I'm not going to go into who is right or wrong but many of them are simply doing their jobs with an attitude. I've experienced the same type of service on recent flights. I'm not saying that all of them are that way but there are some bad apples giving the lot of them a bad name.

On a positive note, the 330 is a great bird. I flew on it shortly after it went into service on the DTW-FRA route on 2003. I'm looking forward to my next flight on one this summer to CDG. It has to be one of the best product offerings out there by a US carrier.
721,2,732,3,4,5,G,8,9,741,2,3,4,752,3,762,3,4,772,3,788,D93,5,M80,D10,M11,L10,100,AB6,319,20,21,332,3,346,388,146,CR2,7,

af773atmsp

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:23 pm

When I flew an A320 from MSP-DCA the flight attendants were very nice. The pilot made a little joke before safety check. Going back home was also fine. The flight attendants were very nice, but this was a short flight.
DC10-40,MD88,A319,A320,A332,717,722,733,737,738,752,ATR-72,736,788,74M
SY,DL,FI,FL,BA,EI,NW,MG,DY,EZY,F9,WN,SN,ET,SK,KL,B6
Too many airports to fit in signature.

mspguy

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:43 pm

yes, it's hit or miss with NW employees lately try not to take it personally. Hopefully with them exiting bankruptcy the employees will lighten up.
If it ain't broke, DON'T touch it!!!!

goaliemn

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:54 pm

In another thread, you ask about non-reving on NW. Were you non-rev on this flight? I've seen other reports where the crew does treat non-revs differently than rev passengers.

michman

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:01 am

I've heard that the senior mama's that ply the MSP-LGW route are known as the "Witches of Gatwick". I think it'd be a mistake to assume the FA's on this route are typical of NW.

desiguy2447

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:31 am

Witches of Gatwick are true. I was flying NWA back from LGW to DTW, andrnthe FA's in World Business Class were very rude they wouldn't even putrnyour drinks on your table they would just hold the glasses till you thernpassenger stretched your hand out and got it, was shocked.

RandyWaldron

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:11 am

Ah Ha! You just rode on the broom of the Witches of Gatwick!
"Flaps 20, gear down, landing checklist please..."

BALAX
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:14 am

Well at least one of them could have passed for a Witch.

AsstChiefMark

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:03 am

I searched Google images for "NW flight attendant." This was the first photo that came up. I shit you not.

Mark

Edit: corrected search words

[Edited 2007-02-01 22:06:50]
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

PanAm747

Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:24 am

Quote:
I searched Google images for "NW flight attendant." This was the first photo that came up. I shit you not.

rotfl 

Quote:
they wouldn't even putrnyour drinks on your table they would just hold the glasses till you thernpassenger stretched your hand out and got it.

So, if you didn't like your drink and you threw it on her, would there be nothing but a puddle and a pointed hat afterwards?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

hjulicher

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:01 pm

In my opinion, and i fly internationally a lot, NW has the best North America-Europe product of any airline from the North American side. Their service is equal to AirFrance and I would even dare to say that they are as good as LH, and way better than KL on those flights. On the other hand, NW is a decent airline domestically, but they don't take the stage in that market. I also would say that NW to Asia on the A330 is comparable to the service to Europe. Just that some of the 744's must be getting old, and their is no AVOD system in Econ. NW FA's are friendly if you're friendly to them... If you want them remove themselves from work mode, go and talk to them on a personal level, they'll be really nice.

On a recent flight from DTW-DEN, i thought the FA's were being quite peculiar, making the passengers in the exit rows literally read the pamphlets, and being super professional. I think they were being graded or assessed on the flight, so the PA system was clear, and the beverage service was very good.

BTW, NW now gives the full can to passengers on flights... I know this doesn't make up for the no free snack service, but at least it's a way to speed up the beverage service and make passengers happier.
Detroit Moves the World!
LH 442

BALAX
Topic Author

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:00 am

Quoting Hjulicher (Reply 13):
NW FA's are friendly if you're friendly to them... If you want them remove themselves from work mode, go and talk to them on a personal level, they'll be really nice.

Perspectives are possible. However, as a flight attendant you're to provide a friendly, smiling environment whenever possible without someone having to approach you about it. BTW the flight attendants from MSP to LAX 2 days ago were way superior to the ones from flt 43. I'd never seen so much beverage service on a 3 1/2 hour flight before. Most importantly, they were courteous.

N808NW

Sat Feb 03, 2007 5:43 pm

Quoting Desiguy2447 (Reply 8):
Witches of Gatwick are true. I was flying NWA back from LGW to DTW, andrnthe FA's in World Business Class were very rude they wouldn't even putrnyour drinks on your table they would just hold the glasses till you thernpassenger stretched your hand out and got it, was shocked.

I flew LGW-DTW last sept in WBC and was surprised to find quite the opposite. the 2 WBC F/As were very friendly and helpful...one in particular couldn't stop smiling!! I was non-reving and got upgraded because I simply said "hi, I'm non-revin today" to a F/A as I was boarding, who responded with "dont you want to sit up front"...."you mean in WBC??"...."yeah....ill go check if we can put you up there" so I took my seat in Y and about 5 min later she came back with the good news!

-Jason  swirl 
All flights have great IFE...get yourself a window seat, thats something no PTV can beat! flew 808 Pacific an Atlanic

ContinentalEWR

Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:53 am

Northwest is one of the worst US airlines when it comes to service. It never had much of a stellar reputation.

ContinentalEWR

stewardess4u

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:06 am

I must agree! NWA was the worst and I used to fly for them. Things got so bad that instead of becoming bitter, I quit and now work for another carrier. I hope NWA does well, but I'd like to see CO merge them into their fold. This would create an amzaing airline, for Continental has the best service in the industry right now!
I live above the Earth......

ContinentalEWR

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:46 am

I agree. NW is an also ran. Without the Asia routes and the link up with KLM, they are a bit player. Not a strong east-west carrier, limited presence on the East and West Coasts, and no service south of the border, other than MEX and a few Caribbean destinations. NW really should merge with CO or DL. There is a lot of opportunity to make it a much better carrier. Right now, NW stinks.

flyguy1

Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting ContinentalEWR (Reply 18):
Not a strong east-west carrier, limited presence on the East and West Coasts,

NW is pretty strong though, to various western states (ID, MT, WA, CA, WY, Dakotas, Western Canada, etc)
727, L1011, MD80, A300, 777-200, 737-300, 737-700, 747-400, 757-200, 737-800, A320. E190, E135, 767-200, CRJ9

BALAX
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:50 pm

If NW merges with CO do you think the NW employees(or some) attitudes improve?

AsstChiefMark

Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:13 pm

Quoting BALAX (Reply 20):
If NW merges with CO do you think the NW employees(or some) attitudes improve?

Not a chance. They've had bad attitudes for so long that they've forgotten what it's like to be nice to people.

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

ContinentalEWR

Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:12 pm

Flyguy,

NW is strong in the least populated states in the US.

nitrohelper

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting ContinentalEWR (Reply 16):
It never had much of a stellar reputation.

Never is a long time  wink 
I few with NWA almost every week from '82 -'84, they had the least debt of any US airline. Before the C&W rape the employees were "midwest" friendly. My favorite seat was 25F on the 727s, exit row, next to the toilets & across from the galley. The F/As would sit in 25D, and I made several friends.
Even would overnight in some of the same hotels !  veryhappy   ziplip 

burnsie28

Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:54 am

limited presence on the East

Better look at your facts, its got a hell of a lot of east coast destinations.

other than MEX and a few Caribbean destinations

Lets See:
Mexico:
Los Cabos
Puerto Vallarta
Mazatlan
Manzanillo
Ixtapa/Zihuatenajo
Acapulco
Mexico City
Cancun
Conzumel

Costa Rica-
Liberia

"Carribean"
Grand Caymen
Montego Bay
Punta Cana
San Juan
Nassau
St. Thomas
and sorta, Bermuda.

Quoting ContinentalEWR (Reply 22):
NW is strong in the least populated states in the US.

yet they are the only ones that continue to make it work, with several mainline flights a day. Though, Indianapolis isn't what I would call small by any means, nor Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, etc.

Northwest is one of the worst US airlines when it comes to service.

Their new WBC got higher reviews then CO's BizFirst, and their is one CO flyer that used to swear never to fly NW... now its quite the opposite, he tries whenever he can to fly NW.

That whole south of the Border thing, lets flip it around, lets go North:
Continental:
Vancouver
Calgary
Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec
Moncton
Halifax
St. Johns
Total: 9

Northwest:
Vancouver
Edmonton
Calgary
Regina
Winnipeg
Saskatoon
Thunder Bay
London
Kitchener
Toronto
Montreal
Ottawa
Quebec
Charlottetown
Halifax

Total:15

coleplane

Mon Feb 05, 2007 6:42 am

Like any airline (or business for that matter), their customer service is only as good as their personel. Having lived in MN, I've seen the best and worst from NW, but always attribute each experience to the individual FA(s). I'm a little concerned with blanket statements regarding any airlines level of service because it diminishes those FA's who DO keep their work and/or private life separate. Frankly, given the trials and tribulations at NW I'm all the more impressed by these fine people.

That said, if your experiences with NW FA's have all been negative, shame on those individuals giving THEIR COMPANY a poor image.
"About a nine on the tension scale there Rupe."

EIPremier

Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:38 pm

I've always found the flight attendants to be very good on Northwest. I also like how they keep flying DC-9s and (until recently DC-10s). The A330 product to Europe is very good, although I don't understand what Hjulicher said about NW trans-atlantic being better than KLM. The KLM A330s have even more extensive AVOD than the NW planes, the meal service comparable, and KL still gave out hot towels in Y when I flew. Actually the reason why NW continues to offer complimentary alcohol in Y on trans-atlantic is to conform to KL service levels. NW is now charging for alcohol in Y on Asian flights. But, NW transatlantic is a lot better than AA where they charge for drinks and don't have AVOD (not even PTVs on the 763). NW domestic is just fine IMHO, nothing special, but perfectly adequate. I also like their hubs at MSP and particularly DTW. I'd take a connection through either airport any day over ORD.

ImperialEagle

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:36 pm

It never

oooh "never" is such a strong word.

I can remember back in the late '80's I used to fly CO frequently especially MIA-IAH. THe service was generally pretty bad with some of the worst experiences I have ever had with cabin crew. I met many folks in that era who swore NEVER to fly CO again!

I wonder how many of them had flown CO pre-Lorenzo?
Because I can go back to the early '60's and CO ALWAYS had GREAT service and GREAT food!

AND so did NW.
I have NEVER had a bad trip on NW---even in recent times, always finding their employees courteous and professional. The food----is another thing----but the quality level of that is decided by bean-counters (pardon the pun).

Nonethless, for many years the level of quality service and food that was offered on NW was very high.
Back in the mid-late '60's when there were many choices ATL-MIA or ATL-ORD-----all at identical airfares----I and many others regularly flew NW because of the superior service. Some of the best food I was ever served on an airplane was on those (relatively) short flights. Prime Ribs of Beef ----served in coach-----yesssssireeee!  thumbsup 
"Regal Imperial Service" certainly was.

So like so many others on this website, I tire of seeing the good folks over at NW getting kicked around by all and sundry. If you already know they have good reason to be unhappy why in the world would you want to "kick 'em when they are down"? Does meanness make you feel good---powerful? Remember the next victim could be you!
Constructive criticism is one thing---- constant verbal personal assassination is another.

If the folks at NW are a bit frayed around the edges I won't blame them----(after all "the fish rots at the head first") I just never seem to encounter them.

Just remember: TIME changes EVERYTHING!
 twocents 
"If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough!"

UAL777UK

Tue Feb 06, 2007 10:55 pm

Quoting AsstChiefMark (Reply 11):

I saw that and nearly wet my pants laughing......that has brightened my day up!!

jetjack74

Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:40 am

Quoting BALAX (Reply 14):
Perspectives are possible. However, as a flight attendant you're to provide a friendly, smiling environment whenever possible without someone having to approach you about it

True We are primarily there for the safety and comfort of our passengers. But some seem to make the mistake of not letting someone do what they want for be being rude and discourteous. I get many rude stares form passengers when I enforce the seatbelt rule, or ask passengers sitting at the bulkhead f they would kindly not put their feet on the walls.

Northwest is one of the worst US airlines when it comes to service. It never had much of a stellar reputation.

Matter of opinion, not fact. Our load factors are the some of, if not the highest of the 5 major carriers, some many must not share your opinion.

Quoting Stewardess4u (Reply 17):
I must agree! NWA was the worst and I used to fly for them. Things got so bad that instead of becoming bitter, I quit and now work for another carrier. I hope NWA does well, but I'd like to see CO merge them into their fold. This would create an amzaing airline, for Continental has the best service in the industry right now!

I'd like to see us merge with CO. I think we would benefit very much. However, I stayed with NWA after interviewing with UA and CO in 2006, becuase I believe NWA could still be a great carrier to work at if the sme of the great FA's stay(sorry to toot my own horn, but I do think I am a great flight attendant). And I still believe it can get better. I refuse to get bitter, and I refuse to let other people dictate my attitude. Things have been bad, but it's not an excuse to be rude or let other's "make you that way" becuase it doesn't have to be that way. Life is what you make of it. By letting others make you bitter, you're resigning yourself to failure. People become bitter becuase they choose to be that way. 10 years of doing this, I still don't let the nasty people get to me. You can go to a hundred airlines, and in the end, it solves nothing. There are alot good people here, and I believe NWA will become a great carrier. CO used to be the same in the Lorenzo years, but it changed, becuase the people who stayed on decided to make something out nothing. It can be the same here and I believe it will someday. I choose to make my work place fun for myslf and my coworkers. If some don't like it, then they don't have join us.
Made from jets!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos