Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Lexy
Topic Author

CO @ BNA?

Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:51 am

So I have a question for some of you in the know around here. With all this talk about ExpressJet and CHQ, what will become of the CO station here in Nashville? I haven't seen anything posted about it on here or other forums, but one has to assume that it will get some mainline service out of the realignment of CO's RJ's. I think ExpressJet has around 17 or so flights a day from here, and that just begs the question of why they haven't already gone mainline with some of the more popular flights out of here. Seems like a good time to jump in and re-start the 737 service to me. Any thoughts?? My thanks in advance.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

Cubsrule

RE: CO @ BNA?

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:52 am

Quoting Lexy (Thread starter):
think ExpressJet has around 17 or so flights a day from here, and that just begs the question of why they haven't already gone mainline with some of the more popular flights out of here.

CO's just not real strong in the Southeast. CLT, for example, has enough NW elites that F is generally full of plats and silvers on its flights and CO sends nothing but Embraers. RDU has 4 mainline flights and BHM has 1, but cities like MEM, GSO, and ORF are all BTA.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

ikramerica

Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:00 am

I think ExpressJet has around 17 or so flights a day from here, and that just begs the question of why they haven't already gone mainline with some of the more popular flights out of here. Seems like a good time to jump in and re-start the 737 service to me.

I do think you will see some markets upgraded to 735 service, some 735 markets upgraded to 733 or 738 service. BNA might be a candidate for that, as well as MSY from IAH. I think you might see other markets like TPA, where most flights are mainline but a couple are RJ have frequency cut, eliminating the RJ flights and upsizing a few of the other flights to compensate.

It'll be interesting to see how it pans out. I'd still like to see CO negotiate a pilot deal to allow for 20x 76 seat jets or something, as there are plenty of markets that could use that sized jet. If they sell it to the pilots as not replacing mainline, but rather replacing lost XJet routes, there's no loss of jobs there...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

ADXMatt

Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:08 pm

CO can add 70-90 seat jets. It just has to be flown by mainline crews and dispatchers.

EMBQA

Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:01 pm

what will become of the CO station here in Nashville?

Nothing. Maineline CO only has 1 or 2 daily flights....if that now. All the rest is handled by Expressjet with flights to CLE. EWR and IAH. The flights leg and loads don't warrent bigger planes.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

CALMSP

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:52 am

actually..........our IAH-BNA loads are rather well. I would like to see our 737 service jump back in.

ikramerica

Fri Feb 02, 2007 2:01 am

Quoting ADXMatt (Reply 3):
CO can add 70-90 seat jets. It just has to be flown by mainline crews and dispatchers.

yes, we know. everyone is aware of that.

and obviously CO sees this as too great an expense, as they would like to completely contract out the flying of express. and the pilots want to see any new flying fall under their contract, out of fear of losing jobs as much as anything.

but if they end up replacing 69 lost 50 seat jets with only 45 or so CRJ/ERJ from a new carrier, then there is a void of RJ that doesn't affect mainline. CO could negotiate a plane similar to what DL has, where they get to add 20 76 seaters to replace the lost RJ flying, and then can also add one additional 76 seat jet for each 1.5 net mainline jets they add, etc. This type of plan would be hard for the pilot union to justify fighting, because it costs them zero jobs and assures them added mainline flying in the future.

Of course, CO could also bite the bullet and try to negotiated a new mainline contract for the 70-105 seat class slotted in below the 737 flying, allowing them to add EJets. The problem there that even though only junior pilots would be flying the EJets so not even current 735 pilots would end up on an E190, in the long term, it's a lowering of wage rates for the union as a whole...
Of all the things to worry about... the Wookie has no pants.

drerx7

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:33 am

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 4):
Nothing. Maineline CO only has 1 or 2 daily flights....if that now. All the rest is handled by Expressjet with flights to CLE. EWR and IAH. The flights leg and loads don't warrent bigger planes.

No mainline at BNA--however, there are lots of ERJ flights and the loads are good - I fly the route often and a 735 would be full on the early morning and/or late evening runs.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

artsyman

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:22 am

There was a Continental 737-300 at BNA today.

Lexy
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:43 am

Quoting Artsyman (Reply 8):

Really? I don't see it on FlyteComm or Flight Aware. Perhaps I am overlooking it though.

antoniemey

Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:09 pm

Quoting Artsyman (Reply 8):

As my mom (who works for CO at BNA) likes to say, "Nashville is halfway to everywhere." They get diversions from all sorts of routes... they almost got an HP diversion once (prior to the HP/US Merger).

What my mom has told me is that they're scheduled to get at least 1 CHQ CRJ starting in April, from IAH. No plans for mainline into BNA that she knows about at this point.
Make something Idiot-proof, and the Universe will make a more inept idiot.

artsyman

Fri Feb 02, 2007 8:26 pm

Quoting Antoniemey (Reply 10):
Really? I don't see it on FlyteComm or Flight Aware. Perhaps I am overlooking it though.

I was on it. It was CO 683 from Boston. We diverted to BNA due to the alternates for IAH being below minimums. IAH itself was not below minimums, but as the others were, BNA became our Alternate, and we did not have enough fuel to hit IAH and return to BNA, so we had to refuel before trying.

Lexy
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:45 pm

Quoting Antoniemey (Reply 10):
1 CHQ CRJ starting in April

Oh joy. Let me get a parade started. LOL!! As if we don't have enough of those "little" jets flying into here.

Thanks for the update though.

antoniemey

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:17 pm

Quoting Lexy (Reply 12):
Oh joy. Let me get a parade started. LOL!! As if we don't have enough of those "little" jets flying into her

And then there's the fact that Chautauqua already flies into BNA for at least 3 other airlines... makes it fun for the Operations people.

Lexy
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:29 pm

I believe that American Eagle to St Louis is the only other Chautauqua flights we have. I, like many people on here, just get sick and tired of seeing the "little stuff" flying into here when numbers are good for a particular airline and one would think that in increase in service, or in this case an upgrade, would be welcomed. I see CO fly mainline in to other cities of lesser size (O&D) and think to myself, what do the passengers that fly through BNA on CO have to do to get an upgrade in their service? The same could certainly be said here for United. But I digress.

Funny thing is, CO used to fly mainline/ERJ mix into here up until a few years ago. Now it's just ERJ.

antoniemey

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:00 pm

Quoting Lexy (Reply 14):
I believe that American Eagle to St Louis is the only other Chautauqua flights we have.

USEx (or at least they used to, dunno about currently) and DLConx.

Lexy
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:19 pm

Quoting Antoniemey (Reply 15):
and DLConx

You are correct on that one. USEx is a possibility, but I think most of that is now done with Air Wisconsin now.

Cubsrule

Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:16 am

Quoting Antoniemey (Reply 15):
USEx (or at least they used to, dunno about currently) and DLConx.

BNA-CLT is presently YV, JIA, and mainline
BNA-DCA is ZW and JIA
BNA-PIT is LOF
BNA-PHL is mainline, JIA, ZW, and 1 RP flight (which, while it has the same corporate parent as CHQ, is not CHQ).

BNA-ATL is mainline, EV, and 1 S5 flight (which, again, shares a corporate parent)
BNA-CVG does have CHQ

So DL Connection does have legitimate CHQ, and USEx has a cousin of CHQ.

antoniemey

Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:51 am

Quoting Cubsrule (Reply 17):
So DL Connection does have legitimate CHQ, and USEx has a cousin of CHQ.

And while I worked for DGS they did have a legitimate CHQ. We had a few "oopses" by the Ops agents calling us out early when the flights were scheduled at close times.

FutureFO

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:12 pm

We also operate BNA-JFK on the E145. This is on the DLC side.
I Don't know where I am anymore

drerx7

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:15 pm

So the only thing on the horizon for CO @ BNA is the unappealing CRJ on a turn to IAH. I never thought I'd be beging for a 735. The ERJ is part of the reason why I fly WN a little more to HOU, not that I don't like ERJs - but it gets a little boring I suppose.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

ejmmsu

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:18 pm

Isn't NW all mainline at BNA ?
"If the facts do not conform to the theory, they will have to be disposed of"

KingAir200

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting Ejmmsu (Reply 21):

I haven't looked, but I can't imagine that it is. It seems that many NW cities east of the Mississippi have at least one 9E CRJ flight from somewhere.

EMBQA

Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:31 pm

Most flights, not all... 10 of the 12 daily flights are mainline

[Edited 2007-02-03 04:34:52]
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

Lexy
Topic Author

Sat Feb 03, 2007 1:46 pm

Quoting Drerx7 (Reply 20):
So the only thing on the horizon for CO @ BNA is the unappealing CRJ on a turn to IAH. I never thought I'd be beging for a 735. The ERJ is part of the reason why I fly WN a little more to HOU, not that I don't like ERJs - but it gets a little boring I suppose.

There still really isn't a reason that atleast ONE of their flights are not on a mianline. That just makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Of course, what actaully does make sense in the airline industry anymore.

Thank goodness for WN then. If CO plays hardball with their service here, then good riddance! Perhaps less service is better than cramped airplanes packed out like a can of sardines...just because.

LOL!!!!

Cubsrule

Sat Feb 03, 2007 2:39 pm

Quoting FutureFO (Reply 19):
We also operate BNA-JFK on the E145. This is on the DLC side.

Yeah, once I found CVG I quit looking... it's Friday after all.

2 DTW flights (of 6) are 9E. One of the MEM flights is sometimes 9E. BNA-MEM used to see Avros a fair amount, and it's a route where NW really doesn't have the right capacity for it at a lot of the time. But for now, EMBQA is right... 10 mainline and 2 9E per day.

[Edited 2007-02-03 06:46:43]

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos