Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JetJock22
Topic Author

Old Dulles Tower

Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:43 am

I know that the old Dulles tower was closed this past summer, but is it still there or has it been demolished? If it is still there does anyone know what they plan on doing with it? Dulles just wouldn't be the same without that tower.

malaysia

RE: Old Dulles Tower

Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:53 am

They will turn it into an observation area perhaps, but for what I know, it will never be demolished, its a Historic Landmark.
There Are Those Who Believe That There May Yet Be Other Airlines Who Even Now Fight To Survive Beyond The Heavens

JetJock22
Topic Author

Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 1):
its a Historic Landmark.

Thats what I was wondering. Glad to hear that.

CV990A

Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:11 am

Rest assured, the old tower is still there.

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 1):
They will turn it into an observation area perhaps

That would be nice, but unfortunately, if that happens, it won't be for a while as the tower sits above the airside part of the main terminal, so they would have to re-do the security layout of the airport. Dulles used to have an observation deck, but it is closed, and most of it is actually gone thanks to all the construction they are doing there.
Kittens Give Morbo Gas

Adam T.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:06 am

I'm not familiar with IAD but do you think they could turn it into maybe a restaraunt or bar like they did with the old tower at LAX?

boswashsprstar

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:07 am

There is an observation deck of sorts in the Udvar-Hazy Center of the Air and Space Museum, where you can go up in a mock air traffic control tower and look out over the airfield.

Still would be nice if something similar could be done in the tower at the main terminal, though. Once the train system and the new security concourse is done, would the tower find itself located landside?

flyinback

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:13 am

Actually, the old tower is still in use (or it was as of January 1). The new tower was supposed to be turned over to the FAA this summer, but they had a few problems (such as getting water pressure to the top of the tower). I believe it's pretty much ready to go and the FAA should be up there shortly (if they aren't already).

At any rate, you are correct in the fact that the old tower must remain as is. Because the main terminal is marked as a historic landmark, they cannot change the overall look of it (hence the additions for the rail going on the back of the terminal (and partially underground).

It would be an awesome restaurant or observation deck, but I'm haven't heard of any plans.

WesternDC1010

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:20 am

Quoting Adam T. (Reply 4):
I'm not familiar with IAD but do you think they could turn it into maybe a restaraunt or bar like they did with the old tower at LAX?

As far as I know, the old tower at LAX is not a restaurant, nor a bar. According to airchive.com, 'This tower, now used as an administration building, was erected at the opening of the new LAX terminal at the dawn of the Jet Age in 1960. It looks slightly different, with the removal of the louvers over the windows, than it did in its heyday.'

Maybe you're thinking of the Theme Building which has the Encounter Restaurant and Bar. The observation deck above has been closed since 2001.

[r][o][n]
Western DC-10-10
Western Airlines - The Only Way To Fly

remcor

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:25 am

They should zone it as residential space.

It would make a sweet apartment.

Adam T.

Fri Feb 02, 2007 9:57 am

Quoting WesternDC1010 (Reply 7):
Maybe you're thinking of the Theme Building which has the Encounter Restaurant and Bar. The observation deck above has been closed since 2001.

Yeah i'm thinking of the theme building......wasn't it at one point the ATC tower at LAX though? I always forget the old one they used way back.

WesternDC1010

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting Adam T. (Reply 9):
Yeah i'm thinking of the theme building......wasn't it at one point the ATC tower at LAX though? I always forget the old one they used way back.

As far as I know, the Theme Building has never been an ATC tower. I believe that the 1960's control tower went on-line before construction of the Theme Building was completed.

Here's a good site that chronicles post cards of the vintage 'Jet-Age LAX.'

LAX.html" target=_blank>http://www.airchive.com/SITE%20PAGES/VIN-LAX.html

[r][o][n]
Western DC-10-10
Western Airlines - The Only Way To Fly

luketenley

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:42 am

The old tower sits away from the Encounter theme building. Two seperate buildings. When you drive into the airport, I believe the old tower is one of the first buildings you can see. The new tower sits relatively close to the theme building. Am I right?
Pittsburgh International Airport lover

RDUDDJI

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:10 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 11):
The old tower sits away from the Encounter theme building. Two seperate buildings. When you drive into the airport, I believe the old tower is one of the first buildings you can see. The new tower sits relatively close to the theme building. Am I right?

Not sure what the "Theme" building is...but the old Tower is connected to the main terminal. The "new" tower is approximately directly South of the midpoint of the C/D concourse adjacent to the H ramp.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

luketenley

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:22 am

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 12):
Not sure what the "Theme" building is

The theme building is the Encounter restaurant, the wierd looking building that kinda looks something from the Jetsons.
Pittsburgh International Airport lover

RDUDDJI

Fri Feb 02, 2007 11:35 am

Quoting Luketenley (Reply 13):
The theme building is the Encounter restaurant, the wierd looking building that kinda looks something from the Jetsons.

Roooooooger.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

United767

Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:32 pm

The old tower is still in use at IAD. Not sure when the new one will be in use.
I wish UA flew mainline to MYR, that way you wouldn't be stuck in a smelly Saturn for 12 hours.

pnqiad

Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:56 pm

Quoting BosWashSprStar (Reply 5):
There is an observation deck of sorts in the Udvar-Hazy Center of the Air and Space Museum, where you can go up in a mock air traffic control tower and look out over the airfield.

True, but at $12 parking fee - that is one expensive observation tower. And landings on only one of the runways is comparitively close. The mid-field and terminal are quite far off.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos