Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

A388
Topic Author

KLM Caribbean Hub In Curacao, Any Update?

Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:47 am

Well,

In follow up of the Copa joining SkyTeam I decided to bring this topic up again after a long time.

As some of you know, it has been discussed several times what will happen to the mini hub KL has in Bonaire. Some rumours were floating around at the time that KL might be moving to either Curacao or Aruba. Eventually when the winter timetable for 2006/2007 was released KL decided to stay in Bonaire for now. Now my question is what are the latest developments regarding KL and there Caribbean operations?

KL will switch to the smaller MD11 on their Caribbean routes (AUA, CUR, BON, SXM). Their MD11 has recently or still is undergoing a cabin upgrade (new WBC and PTV's?).

Strong rumors in the local media here in Curacao as well as media in Holland are that KL is interested in investing in Dutch Antilles Express (DAE) which is managed by Mr. Pallandt, a former KLC manager. DAE has strong connections with KL what I see. DAE has already taken delivery of their first Fokker 100 and a second aircraft will arrive in mid-February. This might also point to closer co-operation with KL as they also operate a large fleet of Fokkers. A new hangar will be built by DAE to maintain their aircraft (3 ATR42's and 2 Fokker 100s).

With Copa joining SkyTeam can we see them flying to Curacao if KL will use Curacao as their new hub? Our airport management has recently reported an increase in transfer traffic of 33% compared to the previous year. I am interested where these transfer passengers connect to. Or can we see KL fly to PTY for connections on Copa's route network? Which one would be more attractive? Can both Copa or KL feed each other? What about AF?

So, in nutshell: what is the latest development or rumor about KL and their Caribbean operations and what can we expect in the coming years?

A388

HB-IWC

RE: KLM Caribbean Hub In Curacao, Any Update?

Sun Feb 04, 2007 4:58 am

Quoting A388 (Thread starter):
So, in nutshell: what is the latest development or rumor about KL and their Caribbean operations and what can we expect in the coming years?

As the daily AMS BON LIM flight flight is about to become a 6 weekly nonstop AMS LIM flight, BON will be left with a 6 times weekly AMS BON GYE UIO operation (up from the current 5). On the day where there is no UIO departure, BON will receive a once weekly flight tagged to AUA. Also SXM will be linked to AUA, twice weekly, whereas CUR will be served by a daily dedicated terminator service. All 18 weekly services (7 AMS CUR, 6 AMS BON GYE UIO, 2 AMS AUA, 2 AMS SXM AMS, 1 AMS BON AUA) will be operated with reconfigured MD11 aircraft.

2travel2know

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:33 am

Sounds interesting, but I would think CM may like KL to fly AMS-PTY (or AF CDG-PTY) and connect with their SkyTeam hub better instead of a CM PTY-CUR E190 service to connect with KL flights in CUR (or AF in FDM).
Regardless of that, there's potential for a E190 service to AUA, CUR and SXM from CM PTY hub.
I don't work for COPA Airlines!

A388
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:48 am

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 1):
As the daily AMS BON LIM flight flight is about to become a 6 weekly nonstop AMS LIM flight, BON will be left with a 6 times weekly AMS BON GYE UIO operation (up from the current 5). On the day where there is no UIO departure, BON will receive a once weekly flight tagged to AUA. Also SXM will be linked to AUA, twice weekly, whereas CUR will be served by a daily dedicated terminator service. All 18 weekly services (7 AMS CUR, 6 AMS BON GYE UIO, 2 AMS AUA, 2 AMS SXM AMS, 1 AMS BON AUA) will be operated with reconfigured MD11 aircraft.

Hi HB-IWC, as usual thank you for your explanation. I was counting on your update  Smile

I take it that KL will base its decision on their Caribbean mix on the market conditions and competition from other airlines such as MP and OR? I remember reading a few months ago that KL is a bit cautious the coming year because of increased competition on the AMS-CUR route, hence their decision to re-introduce the (reconfigured) MD11 on CUR flights?

A388

BALAX

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:56 am

2 AMS AUA, 2 AMS SXM AMS

I thought AUA and SXM were gonna be flown as a triangle route.

A388
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:05 am

Quoting BALAX (Reply 4):
I thought AUA and SXM were gonna be flown as a triangle route.

Someone mentioned that in the previous threads but it was misinterpreted. The routes flown are as mentioned by HB-IWC. A triangular route wouldn't make much sense in this case as the route will not be that attractive. Just my opinion.

A388

zschocheimages

Sun Feb 04, 2007 8:20 am

What are the current flights out of Curacao?
Why fly with 2 engines when you can have 3?

HB-IWC

Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:51 am

2 AMS SXM AMS

I'm sorry for this typo, this is supposed to be AMS SXM AUA and indeed a triangular flight as will be the once weekly AMS BON AUA. AMS CUR will be daily dedicated terminator service, as will be another twice weekly AMS AUA services.

A388
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2007 12:57 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 7):
AMS SXM AUA

I thaught this was a misunderstanding in previous threads. I guess I am wrong than, a human error from my part  Smile

A388

BALAX

Sun Feb 04, 2007 5:45 pm

Is the AMS-SXM-AUA on a B747 still? if it is, hence the triangular flight. Fully loaded B747 couldn't take off from SXM nonstop to AMS.

A388
Topic Author

Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:04 pm

Quoting BALAX (Reply 9):
Is the AMS-SXM-AUA on a B747 still? if it is, hence the triangular flight. Fully loaded B747 couldn't take off from SXM nonstop to AMS.

It still is the 747 but as of the summer schedule of this year it will be switched to the MD11.

A388

HB-IWC

Sun Feb 04, 2007 6:05 pm

Quoting BALAX (Reply 9):

All 18 weekly Caribbean flights, including AMS SXM AUA will be operated with the reconfigured MD11. No more 747s in the region, unless you consider MEX and PBM to be the region.

lamedianaranja

Sun Feb 04, 2007 10:03 pm

Quoting HB-IWC (Reply 11):
AMS SXM AUA will be operated with the reconfigured MD11

Beautiful new photos of the blue MD11 over Maho Beach  Cool I'm sure looking forward to that!
I wish that all skies were orange and blue!!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos