airpearl

RE: Malaysian Aviation Thread 2

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:55 pm

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 49):
A source has revealed that AK will make the official announcement of the fleet for AirAsia X in a week or two time.

Expect a 10+10 or 10+5 order of Airbus 330-200.

A nonstop to London/Manchester from KUL would be rather payload restricted, so I guess a Mid East stop at DXB or SHJ would be on the cards too? It'll be interesting dynamics if they get the rights for DXB-Europe putting them head-to-head with EK.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:23 pm

Objections over open sky policy, which I think directly referring to the opening of KUL-SIN route.

Open sky only if beneficial
Union: Open sky pacts can be bad

The Star

Notes

• The Government will take all views into consideration before entering into an “open sky” agreement with specific countries. Transport Minister said it was the country’s policy to have such pacts with as many countries as it would enhance the position of KL International Airport.

• He was commenting on a recent Malaysia Airlines Employees Union (Maseu) statement that the agreements could pose problems to Malaysia. Maseu general-secretary had said that the pacts could place the country at great risk because any aircraft could declare itself a commercial craft and enter Malaysian airspace. He cited a recent incident of a jetfighter from a neighbouring country entering Malaysian airspace, which authorities failed to detect fast enough.

• The agreements would also mean that no quota would be imposed for landing rights for the countries concerned. “As such, the airports would become busy and congested simply for the sake of competition and would also create problems to MAS workers,” he said. These agreements were also not beneficial to MAS and could even destroy the national carrier due to competition from other airlines.

• Freedom to use the airspace and the granting of landing rights for other airlines would create many control and supervision problems for other agencies as well, including Malaysia Airports Bhd and the Civil Aviation Department. Hence, the union opposes the move to sign “open sky” agreements and any move to abolish the protection for MAS as a national carrier. Copies of the letter were sent to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi and Bernama.

• On another matter, the ministry and the Department of Civil Aviation would never compromised on safety aspects. “Therefore, all airlines flying into the country must comply with standards outlined by the International Civil Aviation Organisation,” he said when asked of the safety procedures imposed on foreign low-cost carriers.

jeffrysky

Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:15 pm

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 51):
Open sky only if beneficial
Union: Open sky pacts can be bad

That proposition by the union is just plain ridiculous. Consumers should not be denied the benefits of a free economy, simply to protect the financial interests of an airline. Moreover, the benefits of opening up the SIN-KUL route would massively increase the tourism influx into Malaysia because of the superior connectivity of SIN.

The SIN-KUL route has been duopolised for far too long, and it's plain ridiculous that I have to pay SIA/MAS a return fare of S$400 on a 30 minute flight for a hot towel/OJ! It is already shocking that this duopoly was allowed to persist for so long, considering the two countries have had such close relations both in terms of tourism flux and blood relations.

Sorry about venting, but I am just sore I have to pay almost the equivalent of a flight to HKG just to visit my family 3 times a year.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:55 am

Quoting JeffrySkY (Reply 52):
Sorry about venting, but I am just sore I have to pay almost the equivalent of a flight to HKG just to visit my family 3 times a year.

I am sharing the same sentiment too.  Sad

9MMAR
Topic Author

Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:13 pm

Is MH going to dispose off all their A332s?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chaity
View Large View Medium

Photo © YK

Based on what I gathered from the caption of both photos, it was mentioned that 9M-MKT is rumuored to leave the fleet and 9M-MKU has already leave the fleet. On the second photo, the photographer mentioned something about 9M-MKW "before history", which I supposed he meant "before it became history".

Based on my previous reading, MH is not going to purchase new aircrafts until 2008, so if this is proved to be true, I guess MH just would like to simplify its fleet by using maybe B772s for all routes, which are currently being serve by A332s. Furthermore, MH got some idle B772s at the moment, 9M-MRE was even being leased to PK. Just my speculation.

airpearl

Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:44 pm

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 54):
Furthermore, MH got some idle B772s at the moment, 9M-MRE was even being leased to PK. Just my speculation.

With the possible ban on most of the PK fleet in the EU, I wonder if the most profitable thing for MH to do would not be to wet lease a couple of the B744s and B772s to PIA. Could be a good little earner. Certainly beats reserving one frame just for flying down to EZE.  Wink

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 54):
Is MH going to dispose off all their A332s?

which routes are served exclusively by the A332?

QF744ER

Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:48 pm

Anyone know the status of 9M-MPA the one that was stored at SZB?

I hear it is/was going to be converted to a freighter enabling MH to get rid of those 2 TF rego 742F's by 2009, which apparently they've been ordered to do.

cheers

Tom

9MMAR
Topic Author

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:27 pm

Quoting Airpearl (Reply 55):
With the possible ban on most of the PK fleet in the EU,

I wonder whether the same can be imposed by ASEAN to Adam Air? KI is more deserving of such treatment compared to PK.

Quoting Airpearl (Reply 55):
which routes are served exclusively by the A332?

IST, KMG (every Saturday), NGO, BEY and DXB (the 3x non stop per week).

9MMAR
Topic Author

Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:18 pm

Malaysia's 4th national carrier?

New local airline to operate from Penang
The Star

Notes

• A new local airline will operate from the Penang International Airport (PEN) in Bayan Lepas by April. The airline was in the final stage of obtaining the permits to set up its base at the airport.

• It will use Penang as its main hub to fly to other parts of the country and to Asean countries. The airport in Penang, which had the capacity to handle five million passengers annually, only handled about three million last year. Asked if the move would affect Malaysia Airlines and AirAsia, “Healthy competition is good for the aviation industry.”

• The Penang Government was also working closely to turn the airport into a regional hub for budget airlines.

Now the government agencies are messing around with AK, complaining about a VERY serious matter, AK's FA uniform. Duhh...

AirAsia must project our identity, says group
The Star

Notes

• Low budget airline AirAsia must project the country’s culture so that foreigners can recognise it easily as a Malaysian concern, Malaysian Youth Council president said. ”We are happy that AirAsia is able to provide cheap air tickets to travellers but its management must ensure that the airline projects the country’s identity and culture,”.

• The council would be sending an official letter to voice its opinion following numerous complaints on the matter. For example, he said, the uniform of air stewardess did not project a Malaysian image. “The current uniform is not appropriate with our culture. We want an image that portrays a Malaysian identity and culture,” he said, adding that he hoped AirAsia’s management would consider the council’s views.

I would say f*** off and get a life. Seriously, are they thinking of AK flight attendants clad in baju kurung? Or in kebaya (so that people can complaint that AK is copying MH)? Or maybe in cheongsam or sari (but then peple will compaint that they were a copy from any Chinese or Indian airlines)? Being a low cost carrier, I don't think AK will change it's entire cabin crew uniform, just to please these lousy association or whatever, it's too many cost to be incurred. If I were AK's CEO, I would have suggested that this "President of Youth Council" to pursue a more mind challenging issues in his cheap political mission.  spit 

Another attempt by a state government to interfere an airline operation. This time is FAX's turn.

Sabah looking into complaints of cancellation of flights
The Star

Notes

• The state tourism ministry has been asked to discuss with Transport Ministry officials over public complaints on frequent cancellations and delays of flights between Kota Kinabalu and the east coast towns in Sabah, (Tawau, Sandakan and Lahad Datu, all which were previously served by MH).

• He said Fly Asian Express should be more responsive to the numerous complaints over sudden flight cancellations and delays as this was causing inconvenience to air travellers. The Deputy Chief Minister, who is state Tourism, Culture amd Environment Minister had been directed to discuss this with the relevant authorities. They brought up the matter with Transport Ministry officials together with other airlines officials in Miri last month.

• FAX had told us that they took note of the problem, without indicating whether a solution was forthcoming. He said that the persistent problem had recently forced some family members to miss the recent Chinese New Year eve family dinner apart from forking out more money for accommodations before reaching their respective destinations.

Hmm... another attempt to ask for MH to resume flights to these towns?  no 

VHVXB

Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:14 pm

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 58):
“Healthy competition is good for the aviation industry.”

great news which will result in cheaper fares. I hope all works well

6thfreedom

Mon Feb 26, 2007 9:08 am

I suppose this fits into the Malaysian Aviation thread:

Todays KUL-BNE flight diverted to DRW due medical situation.
Anyone have details?

9MMAR
Topic Author

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:44 pm

MAHB targets 45.5m in passenger traffic in 2007
http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/cont...84b7e0a-cb73c03a-110b6400-bbfd1741

Notes

• Malaysia Airports Holdings Bhd (MAHB) targets to grow overall passenger traffic to 45.5 million this year for all 39 airports under its management from 42.5 million in 2006 due to the expected high tourist arrivals for Visit Malaysia Year 2007. MAHB said if the Tourism Ministry’s target of 20 million tourists is reached this year, MAHB would stand to gain a lot in terms of passenger traffic volume.

• MAHB manages and operates five international airports, 16 domestic and 18 short take-off and landing ports in the country. “We see an increase of three million (in passenger traffic), or 7% for all our airports this year.”

• The forecast was based on the current number of airline operators travelling to or inside Malaysia. There would be four or five new airlines coming into Malaysia this year while Australian Airlines is pulling out its operations.

• Kuala Lumpur International Airport (KLIA) saw the highest volume last year with 24.1 million travellers, followed by KKIA with four million, Kuching with 3.2 million and Penang with three million. The passenger volume for KLIA would have been higher last year if Malaysia Airlines had not pulled out some of its flights. The target of 45 million travellers is based on historical performance; if things remain the same, then we will reach the target.

• On the newly launched KKIA T2, which started operations on Jan 1, 2007, the terminal’s maximum capacity was three million. “We expect a growth of 50% per annum for T2, and we expect the terminal to reach maximum capacity within the next three to four years.” When that happened, flight operators could use terminal one to unload passengers when needed. The government had spent RM60 million to upgrade KKIA T2 to meet expected growth in passenger traffic in Kota Kinabalu, especially from travellers using low-cost airlines.

• There is a misconception that T2 is a low-cost terminal; it is not. Even though the terminal was built to cater to AirAsia, full service operators can use the terminal. Terminal one and two can now support up to four million people, but when the entire work is completed in 2009, both terminals will be able to handle up to 10 million people.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:10 am

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 30):
MAS is set to release its full-year earnings on Feb 26.

As promised, MH announced it's Q4 financial result today. A sterling result!

MAS posts RM121m profit in 4Q
http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/cont...df2fe77-cb73c03a-11a0d350-bde3c815

Notes

• Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS) posted a net profit of RM121.47 million for the fourth quarter (4Q) ended Dec 31, 2006 - its second consecutive profitable quarter since the unveiling of its business turnaround plan (BTP) last February - on higher operating revenue and improved yields besides sale of properties and aircraft. In the previous corresponding period, the national airline reported a net loss of RM611.3 million.

• Revenue rose 17.75% to RM3.78 billion from RM3.21 billion previously. Earnings per share was 9.69 sen against a loss of 48.78 sen a year ago.

• For the financial year ended Dec 31, 2006, MAS reported a sharply lower net loss of RM136.43 million from RM1.14 billion a year ago on higher revenue of RM13.49 billion against RM12.32 billion previously.

• MAS managing director Idris Jala said: “We have exceeded all our BTP financial targets for all the four quarters. We have succeeded in significantly reducing our annual losses by beating the RM1.1 billion BTP target through revenue enhancements and cost reductions. In fact, we would have made a net profit of RM676 million this year if the fuel price and aircraft lease had remained constant.”

• MAS has secured total cost savings of RM138 million in fuel costs for FY06 as a result of lower consumption due to its network restructuring and efficient fuel practices, adding that the airline had hedged 68% of its requirements for this year at US$70 (RM244.39) a barrel.

• The 4Q results also included revenue from the domestic sector as MAS took over the profit and loss responsibility from Aug 1, 2006.

• Idris said the airline is confident of achieving its RM50 million net profit target for FY07 as outlined in its BTP especially with the various initiatives including the Malaysian Hospitality campaign and Projects Alpha and Omega undertaken by MAS. He said MAS would focus on profit generation this year and for profitable growth from 2008 and beyond, adding that MAS’ cash crisis was “fully behind us”.

• Reviewing its FY06 financial performance, MAS said in a statement that its operating profit for 4Q was RM94.7 million compared with an operating loss of RM605.1 million a year ago. It posted a RM35.6 million gain on the sale of seven Fokker 50 freighter aircraft and five Twin Otter aircraft by the holding company, Penerbangan Malaysia Bhd (PMB) in 4Q. Under an agreement with PMB, MAS is entitled to an 80% share of the gain on aircraft sale.

• On its prospects, MAS said 2007 would be a challenging year as passenger traffic was expected to slow and competition to remain intense. For 2007, despite the lower oil prices, IATA has forecast passenger growth to slow down to 5% and for freight 4.9% mainly due to expected slower economic growth. Competition also will remain intense and yields will come under pressure for the coming quarter from price discounting and additional capacity injection from aircraft deliveries exceeding demand especially from the Middle East to Asia and from Europe to East and South Asia.

• It added that MAS had held its virtual annual travel fair in February offering attractive international airfares, as well as domestic and international Golden Holiday packages to stimulate travel demand in the first half of 2007. It said to further improve MAS’ demand and yields, MAS had also introduced a new fare structure together with other revenue management and distribution initiatives. The commission on ticket sales for Malaysian markets has also been reduced from 5% to 2% since January 2007.

• Following the completion of Phase 3 route rationalisation, it said further refinement of the network would be introduced in the Northern Summer 2007 as a continuation of the BTP. It said the international freight growth was expected to slow down in 2007 and the intense competition might continue to dilute cargo yields. Nevertheless, similar to 2006, our plan to improve yields and load factors will help us to sustain our performance in the coming year.

• On a report that MAS was planning to set up a new domestic and regional operation using Penang as its base, Idris said MAS had submitted its application to the government to “provide a different offering” but declined to elaborate. “We do believe there is an opportunity to operate from a secondary hub but the product offering must be different,” he said.

• On the delay in the delivery of Airbus A380, MAS chief financial officer, who was also present, said MAS and PMB did not expect to see any delivery until 2009 despite holding extensive talks with the aircraft maker.

A lot of pleasant details. First and foremost, WELL DONE MH!!!  wave 

isz1

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:58 am

route rationalisation
==============
Malaysia Airlines / KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Domestic codeshare agreement

MH/KLM Codeshare on MH Domestic Network. This codeshare will take effect 01 March 2007.

KUL - BKI
MH 2708 KL 4080 Until 24 Mar 07
MH 2662 KL 4082
MH 2604 KL 4084 Eff 25 Mar 07

BKI - KUL
MH 2631 KL 4081
MH 2617 KL 4083 Eff 25 Mar 07
MH 081 KL 4085

KUL - LGK
MH 1430 KL 4086
MH 1450 KL 4088

LGK - KUL
MH 1459 KL 4087
MH 1463 KL 4089 Eff 25 Mar 07
MH 1471 KL 4091

KUL - PEN
MH 1134 KL 4090 Eff 25 Mar 07
MH 1138 KL 4092
MH 1154 KL 4094 Until 24 Mar 07
MH 1150 KL 4096 Eff 25 Mar 07

PEN-KUL
MH 1165 KL 4093 Eff 25 Mar 07
MH 1167 KL 4095

If im not mistaken... 9M-MPA is a "reserved" or floating aircraft. Not sure about converting it to cargo cuz they just updated the old IFE system onboard ... and to be used as pax a/c as floating aircraft.

Regarding the new airline... the new proposal name for the airline is MAS_______. if you think ted, jazz or tango is bad ... wait until they unveil the new name... (if they go with the proposal name la) ... most probably a low cost carrier... supported by Ministry of Tourism, Ministry of Transportation.. not sure about penang being the main hub.
This is Malaysian Hospitality. This is MH.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:08 am

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 58):
Malaysia's 4th national carrier?

New local airline to operate from Penang
The Star

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 62):
On a report that MAS was planning to set up a new domestic and regional operation using Penang as its base, Idris said MAS had submitted its application to the government to “provide a different offering” but declined to elaborate.

So both news are related.

Quoting Isz1 (Reply 63):
Regarding the new airline... the new proposal name for the airline is MAS_______. if you think ted, jazz or tango is bad ... wait until they unveil the new name... (if they go with the proposal name la)

Let me guess, MAScak? (Cak = Peek a boo) or simply MASlah? (What kind of names is that anyway?)  tongue 

9MMAR
Topic Author

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:20 pm

The news are spreading and now all dailies have it as their business headlines.

MAS beats own target
MAS sees surge in profit target

The Star

Notes

• Although Malaysia Airlines (MAS) reported net profit of RM122mil in its fourth quarter (Q4) ended Dec 31, 2006, it remained in the red with a net loss of RM133mil for the full financial year (FY06). However, the figure was much lower than its original target loss of RM620mil. MAS managed a better Q4 after putting in place a business turnaround plan (BTP) that focused on cutting cost and enhancing revenue. The airline had suffered a net loss of RM611mil in 2005's fourth quarter and RM1.12bil for FY05, the biggest loss in its history. Revenue wise, the airline saw a 17% rise in sales in Q4 to RM3.7bil from RM3.2bil in the previous corresponding period.

• For the full year, revenue was RM13.4bil for FY06 compared with RM12.3bil before. Earnings per share for Q4 were 9.69 sen while for FY06 the airline reported net loss per share of 10.89 sen. No dividend was announced for FY06. “We had a really good quarter last year. We managed to beat our own targets for all the quarters and the full year. We are proud of all the people at MAS as despite all the difficulties we have managed to deliver (our promise),” managing director Idris Jala said.

• The results were Jala's first for the full year and the airline managed to report two quarters of profit for Q3 (RM240mil) and Q4. He joined the airline in December 2005 and had put in place a BTP in February 2006. Without the BTP, and if nothing was done to stop the bleeding at MAS, it would have been worse off and a net loss of RM1.7bil was expected for FY06.

• Last year, the airline also managed to report RM55mil profit from its domestic operations, something the airline had never done for years. Last August, MAS took the profit and loss from the Government for some of the domestic routes. “We have surprised many in the international community that we could make a profit in our domestic operations,” he said.

• MAS executive director/CFO said the airline managed to report lower expenditure for Q4 to RM3.6bil from RM3.8bil a year earlier even with the domestic operations. For FY06 the airline’s expenditure rose only 2% to RM13.7bil from RM13.4bil before. Passenger revenue was up 10% to RM9.3bil from RM8.5bil a year ago. But yields saw a drastic rise from 20 sen per revenue passenger kilometre in FY05 to 24.3 sen in FY06. Cargo revenue rose by 8% to RM2.4bil from RM2.2bil previously. As for the share price, MAS outperformed the KL Composite Index by nearly 44% last year. The stock closed 10 sen lower at RM5.95 yesterday.

• Malaysia Airlines (MAS) expects a profit of between RM300mil and RM700mil for current financial year (FY) ending Dec 31, 2007, which is six to 14 times higher than its original target of RM50mil. “If we stretch ourselves, those are the numbers we are hoping to achieve,” managing director Idris Jala said after releasing the airline’s 2006 results.

• These internal figures are what MAS hopes to deliver given the magnitude of work being undertaken to turn the airline around. For FY06, the airline managed to report two quarters of profit and narrow its target loss from RM620mil to RM133mil. “We have turned the corner as we have dealt with the financial restructuring of the airline. This year we have to make money and next year, go for profitable growth,” Jala said, without elaborating how the airline would achieve its new profit target. This year MAS would continue to focus on improving yields and reducing cost. It plans also to improve customer satisfaction, beef up its engineering and maintenance contracts, improve cargo operations profits, continue its network rationalisation and revitalise its human resources after reducing its workforce by 15% last year. Idris added that the airline would “drive towards a more performance-based culture”.

• On yields improvement, he clarified that while MAS wanted to improve its yields, it would not raise fares unnecessarily. “Our fares are competitive, and when we say we want to improve yields it means we want to manage the seat inventory. We may even reduce fares,” he said.

• It was also working on two projects that Idris chose not to disclose. “We are working on breaking new grounds but we have to first check the commerciality and reality of the projects,” he said. But MAS is going to set up a new airline that would hub in Penang. The plan is still awaiting full approval from the government. The proposed airline would offer premium service and operate from Penang to several destinations in the northern and eastern regions of Peninsular Malaysia. “It is an opportunity for MAS to operate from a secondary hub but the product offering would be different from what we currently have,” Idris said.

• For its fuel needs, the airline has hedged 68% of its fuel requirement in 2007 at an average US$70 a barrel.

• On the delivery of the six A380, Idris said the airline “was in extensive” talks with Airbus about the delay and considering all options, including compensation, cancellation or both.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:53 pm

Other interesting news in Malaysia today.

Meeting to foster better ties with Syrians
The Star

Notes

• Bilateral relations between Malaysia and Syria will be taken to a higher level when the first Malaysian-Syrian Joint Commission meeting is held here in May. Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi said this was among the outcomes of his meeting with the Syrian leadership in Damascus yesterday.

• He said he intended to find ways for both countries to strengthen bilateral relations. Abdullah said a memorandum of understanding for the setting-up of a joint economic committee was also signed yesterday. “I would welcome the active participation of our businessmen in realising the success of the projects that they have already identified,” he said. He added that successful cooperation depended very much on the response and active participation of the private sectors of both countries.

Does it include MH's extending its network to DAM? MH has served DAM in the past, as a substitute leg for BEY, when Lebanon was attacked by Israel in July 2006. It was no secret that the Syrian government is very keen on having MH to serve DAM. Since MH won't be adding any new routes until 2009, whatever decision made on this should be done purely on business basis.

Transport boost for Iskandar
The Star
Good news to JHB. Watch out SIN!

Notes

• An action plan is being drawn up to boost the efficiency and integrate the transportation system in the Iskandar Development Region (IDR) in southern Johor. Mentri Besar Datuk Abdul Ghani Othman said among the things which needed to be done was the opening of Senai Airport (JHB) “as wide as possible” to all airlines.

• He said at present the airport was limited to Malaysia Airlines and AirAsia and things had to change to allow other airline companies to operate at Senai. “We need to integrate all transportation modes within the development region as well as those outside and they cover airport, railway, highways and the waterways,” he said.

• Abdul Ghani, who is also a co-chairman of IDR along with Prime Minister Datuk Seri Abdullah Ahmad Badawi, said the IDR was a global destination and everything should be made easy for investment and growth to reach it.

Iskandar Development Region (IDR) is special trading zone being set up by the government to stimulate the growth in the southern part of Peninsula Malaysia, which borders Singapore. Think of this area as what Shenzen is to Hong Kong now. That is what it has in mind as its role to Singapore in the future. Apart from MH and AK, JHB is also served by Indonesian Kartika Airlines once a week. JHB's website is awesome! Way better than that of KUL.

Asmara Air likely to be new Penang-based airline
The Star

Notes

• Asmara Air, touted as the country’s second low-cost carrier after AirAsia, is likely to be the new airline to be based at the Penang International Airport. A source said Asmara Air Services Sdn Bhd, which would focus on full-service charter flights including meals on-board and numbered seating, was likely to launch its maiden flight here soon.

• “Besides Asmara Air, Malaysia Airlines too may be keen to venture into the charter flight business in Penang,” the source said. Transport Minister had on Saturday hinted that a new local airline would operate from the Penang International Airport by April.

• Declining to name the airline, he said that the company was in the final stages of obtaining necessary permits to set up base at the airport. Penang International Airport senior manager, when contacted yesterday, said although Asmara Air had principally agreed to operate from Penang, it had yet to confirm its flight schedules. “We have not received any formal indication from both the Transport Ministry and Asmara Air to begin operations here by April. However, we will provide necessary assistance to enable any new airline company to be based at the airport,” he said.

• He said apart from allowing the aircraft to use the main airport terminal, Malaysia Airports Bhd would provide necessary check-in and passenger processing facilities at the airport. There is no need to add special counters for the new airline. They can use the existing 32 check-in counters. In October last year, Asmara Air Services chairman Datuk Fuad Hassan had said that the company would operate from its base in Penang.

I have heard about Asmara for quite sometimes, (by the way "Asmara" means "Romance") but I am now kind of confuse whether Asmara is the rumoured MH's new unit or a totally different entity. Should it is the latter, then it would be two carriers which are going to start its operation in PEN.

Chartered flights to Xi’an on the cards
The Star

Notes

• Malaysia and China are discussing the prospects of having regular chartered flights between here and Xi'an city in the Qujiang district. This will help both countries to continue where they left off in June last year, when direct flights by Malaysia Airlines ceased operations.

• “MAS will not be involved in the proposed flights this time around. But the job will be taken up by private companies in Malaysia and China. China Southern Airlines has shown interest in working with local tourism agencies in providing the chartered flights,” said Deputy Tourism Minister. The planned flights to Xi'an would take off “in the near future” with the cooperation of Chinese tourism companies.

Xian was axed by MH in the first half of 2006, following their Business Turnaround Plan.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting Isz1 (Reply 63):
Malaysia Airlines / KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Domestic codeshare agreement

A full news about the development.

MAS intensifies codeshare with KLM
http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/cont...b7ecc40-cb73c03a-11a0d350-a820c49b

Notes

• Malaysia Airlines (MAS) is intensifying its codeshare cooperation with KLM Royal Dutch Airlines in line with its Business Turnaround Plan to improve its load factors on selected domestic routes. Under the deal, KLM passengers on flights between Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur would be able to book their flights according to KLM’s flight codes that connect domestic services operated by MAS.

• MAS in a statement on Feb 27 said the new arrangement effective March 1 would cover six flights each between KLIA-Penang and KLIA-Kota Kinabalu as well as five flights between KLIA-Langkawi. MAS commercial director said: “It is also timely as this arrangement with KLM is likely to boost tourist arrivals to Penang, Langkawi and Kota Kinabalu for the Visit Malaysia Year 2007 as well as improve our load factors on these domestic routes.” KLM passengers are also able to codeshare on MAS flights to and from Australia and New Zealand and in turn, codeshare with KLM on European flights to and from Schiphol. Meanwhile, KLM’s senior vice president Alliances, said, “Time and again we find new opportunities to let our customers and companies benefit from the Malaysia Airlines-KLM alliance.”

• MAS said passengers could also benefit from the cooperation between the two airlines in terms of frequent-flyer programmes as KLM passengers are able to accrue and redeem Flying Blue miles on selected MAS operated code share flights. It said customers of both airlines could also enjoy modern transfer facilities at both hubs -- Amsterdam Schiphol Airport and KLIA. The two airlines have worked together successfully since 1998 through a strong commercial cooperation for flights between the two convenient hubs at Amsterdam and Kuala Lumpur. MAS operates daily direct services between KLIA and Amsterdam/Schiphol using Boeing B747-400s while KLM operates six weekly non-stop services between the Dutch city and KLIA.

keno

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 66):
Does it include MH's extending its network to DAM? MH has served DAM in the past, as a substitute leg for BEY, when Lebanon was attacked by Israel in July 2006

Typical political response during most state/economic visits, I wouldn't give any attention to it. I recall back in the 90s it was reported in the news that MH is evaluating to fly to Skopje, Macedonia after a state visit by the PM. Flying to "exotic", high-risk (both business-wise & safety-wise) destinations should be kept as a thing of the past in this Alliance-driven industry.

MH1402

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:33 am

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 64):
If im not mistaken... 9M-MPA is a "reserved" or floating aircraft. Not sure about converting it to cargo cuz they just updated the old IFE system onboard ... and to be used as pax a/c as floating aircraft.

I thought 9M-MPA hadd been sold to Boeing to be converted to Dreamlifter... or it's the different one?
For the King and country...

MAS777

Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:02 am

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 67):
while KLM operates six weekly non-stop services between the Dutch city and KLIA.

I gather KLM is going daily from Mar07.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:10 pm

Quoting KEno (Reply 68):
the news that MH is evaluating to fly to Skopje, Macedonia after a state visit by the PM.

Indeed, like the shortlived service to Zagreb. How did the Croatian managed to convince MH to come to their shore but the Macedonian failed to do the same?  tongue 

Nimish

Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:52 pm

Quoting Caliatenza (Reply 15):
any plans for MH to increase the frequency to BLR from KUL to more than 3x weekly...SQ has had a 6x weekly for sometime now!

And SQ is going to a daily 773 on the SIN-BLR-SIN sectors effective April! It's a pity that MH is unable to increase frequencies to BLR and is letting SQ go away with full 773s every night.
Incredible India!

Nimish

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:12 pm

Air Sahara (S2) announces services on the DEL-KUL-SIN-DEL sector starting March 19th.

From: http://www.indiaprwire.com/businessnews/20070228/19118.htm

Planned schedule:

S2 81 DEL-KUL 22:20 - 06:10+1 (non-stop) 737 Daily
S2 81 KUL-SIN 07:10 - 08:05 (non-stop) 737 Daily
S2 81 SIN-DEL 09:10 - 12:10 (non-stop) 737 Daily

So seems like there's now going to be a lower - cost option for the KUL-SIN sector (S2 is generally quite aggressive with their fares)
Incredible India!

9MMAR
Topic Author

Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:56 pm

There was a HUGE downfall in Malaysian stock exchange today.

Malaysia Airlines was down 6.9 percent at MYR 5.40.

Budget carrier AirAsia dived 8.8 percent to MYR 1.55 but it may recoup losses amid expectations of strong interim results to be released later Wednesday, dealers said.

Analysts: Year of profit for MAS
The Star

Notes

• Most airline analysts expect Malaysia Airlines (MAS) to return to the black in its financial year ending Dec 31 (FY07) under the stewardship of managing director and chief executive officer Idris Jala. Improvements in operational efficiency and gains in non-core asset disposals last year had placed the national carrier on a firm footing to return to profitability this year. Most local analysts expected MAS' net profit at between RM452mil and RM572mil for FY07 although a few foreign analysts expected it to do even better.

• Consensus estimates of the airline's net profit is around RM456mil but expected net profit at about RM572mil based on lower jet fuel costing. Going by the company's performance in 2006, MAS had made good strides in improving its performance by beating its own targets. For FY06, MAS posted a net loss of RM133.74mil, which was 80% lower than its target of a net loss of RM620mil. Management attributed the stronger performance to an increase in passenger revenue and significant cost reduction.The airline also improved its cash flow position in FY06 to RM1.8bil, compared with RM1.5bil previously.

• On MAS' plan to set up a hub in Penang, it was difficult to assess the impact of such a move as the airline's reasons for wanting a hub in the island were not known. However, Jala is known to be meticulous, adding that the CEO would have thoroughly studied the commercial viability of such a move.

• MAS' performance is decribed as a “GLC success story”. Our brokerage has an RM461mil net profit forecast this year, adding that airline was expected to achieve the profit target “easily''. It is interesting to note that MAS aims to achieve net profit of RM300mil to RM700mil for FY07, which is six to 14 times higher than its initial target of RM50mil. Jala had said the target was achievable if the airline continued to bring down operational costs. If we stretch ourselves, those are the numbers we hope to achieve,” he said.

• MAS had beaten most analysts' predictions that it would take a longer time to return to the black. Going by its recent performance, MAS is going to be profitable this year. However, the airline should be wary of rising jet fuel prices, which could dampen its performance given that jet fuel represented over 30% of its running costs.

MH017

Wed Feb 28, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting MAS777 (Reply 70):
I gather KLM is going daily from Mar07

Correct, as from 25mar07 it will go back to daily with ex AMS days 357 operating by 744 and days 1246 by 74E

(MAS will remain daily with 744 equipment)
don't throw away tomorrow !

9MMAR
Topic Author

Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:47 am

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 74):
Budget carrier AirAsia ... amid expectations of strong interim results to be released later Wednesday

Yes, and just 2 days after MH announced their sterling Q4 financial result, AK stunned everyone with their best quarter performance ever!

AirAsia posts RM150m net profit for best quarter ever
http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/cont...c6193d0-cb73c03a-11a0d350-adfe0400

Notes

• AirAsia Bhd posted its best quarter ever with a net profit of RM150.12 million for the second quarter (2Q) ended Dec 31, 2006, boosted by growing traffic and the domestic rationalisation.

• Announcing its results on Feb 28, the low-cost carrier said the earnings were nearly 300% higher than the RM51.28 million registered a year earlier. Revenue rose 61% to RM400.61 million from RM248.74 million previously. Earnings per share was 6.4 sen compared with 2.4 sen.

• For the first half, net profit was RM226.55 million on the back of RM693.78 million in revenue. This was a vast improvement from the RM59.91 million net profit and RM445.87 million revenue in the previous corresponding period.

• AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said: "This is our best quarter ever. We have outperformed our expectations on every performance metrics; load factor, yields, ancillary income penetration and unit cost reduction was significantly better than our initial budgets."

• AirAsia carried 2.27 million passengers in 2Q, up 69% from 1.34 million passengers a year ago. Load factor rose by six percentage points to 82%.

• Average fare was, however, 5% lower at RM164, mainly due to a shorter stage length and its "commitment to drive down fares while boosting load factor".

• On Thai AirAsia, passenger volume grew by 52% for the quarter with 80% load factor. Net profit was RM2 million.

• On Indonesia AirAsia, it performed satisfactorily as passenger volume grew 80% for the quarter with 83% load factor. Net profit was RM800,000 as opposed to a net loss of RM5.1 million a year ago.

• On the outlook for the group, Fernandes said the third quarter would be better as forward bookings suggested that yields would be higher and load factors would be slightly lower. “Our third-quarter earnings will be positively impacted by the lower fuel prices, the stronger ringgit versus the US dollar and the delivery of three Airbus A320 in the period will help keep operating costs low,” he said.

• Fernandes said AirAsia was upgrading its guidance for the full financial year 2007. He expects traffic to grow by 50% to 8.5 million passengers as opposed to the initial guidance of 40% growth of eight million passengers.

• On yields, he expected them to increase by 5% to 10% for the full year as opposed to the initial guidance of flat yields.

Just AMAZING AirAsia!

9MMAR
Topic Author

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:50 am

More news on AK's outstanding performance.

AirAsia chalks up best quarterly results
The Star

Notes

• AirAsia Bhd recorded its best quarterly results as revenue and net profit for the second quarter (Q2) ended Dec 31 more than doubled and tripled respectively compared with the previous corresponding quarter. For the quarter under review, revenue climbed 61.1% to RM400.61mil from RM248.74mil, while net profit surged 192.7% to RM150.1mil from RM51.3mil.

• The surge in net profit was due to the company's decision to recognise the investment allowance as deferred tax assets to better reflect its financial position. AirAsia had sought clarification regarding the Finance Ministry's stand on tax incentives and was informed that its treatment of the investment allowance granted to the company was acceptable.

• Chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said the results reflected the first true quarter of fair market competition with no subsidies. “This is our best quarter ever. The load factor, yields, ancillary income penetration and unit cost reduction recorded robust growth.”

• Ticket sales grew 60%, whereas ancillary income grew 87% to RM28mil in Q2. Load factor for the quarter was 82%, which is a six percentage-point improvement from a year ago. AirAsia also recorded 52% growth in capacity and 69% improvement in passenger load year-on-year. Average fare was lower by 5% to RM164 mainly due to shorter stage length and our commitment to drive down fares while boosting load factor. The net result is favourable as we managed to improve yields by 3% despite the lower average fare.

• Fernandes added that unit cost was down 1% year-on-year to 2.66 US cents per available seat kilometre as it continued to extract value from the new Airbus A320 and the low-cost terminal. AirAsia entered into a capped, interest rate swap to hedge against fluctuations in the US-Libor on its US$2bil term loans on its aircraft financing from Dec 5, 2005 to Feb 1, 2009.

• As at Feb 26, it had taken a forward hedge position covering a period to Sept 30, 2007 to protect itself against movement in fuel prices higher than US$62.25. AirAsia had hedged between 55% and 90% for the remaining months in the current financial year ending June 30. It had also covered about 50% of its requirement for Q1 of financial year 2008.

• Its unit, Thai AirAsia, recorded net profit of 33 million baht (RM2mil) for Q2. Passenger volume grew 52% with 80% load factor.

• Its Indonesian unit achieved net profit of 2 billion rupiah (RM800,000) as opposed to 11 billion rupiah loss in the same period last year. Passenger volume rose 80% with 83% load factor.

• Fernandes said the outlook for Q3 was better relative to the same period last year as forward bookings suggested that yields would be higher and load factor slightly lower. “Our third-quarter earnings will be positively impacted by the lower fuel prices, stronger ringgit against the US dollar and the delivery of three Airbus A320 aircraft in the period will help keep operating costs low,” he said.

• On AirAsia taking up a stake in Fly Asian Xpress (FAX), Fernandes said the AirAsia board met yesterday and it wanted to make sure that it was a structure where AirAsia did not carry any losses from FAX. "The CFO will look into a structure that is suitable. If it can happen, the transaction will require shareholders' approval. So, I imagine it will be over the next three months for a final decision to be made,” he said.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Thu Mar 01, 2007 11:55 am

Current status of the opening of KUL-SIN route.

Another round of air talks with Singapore in April
The Star

Notes

• Malaysia and Singapore will hold another round of air talks in April, to pave the way for a more liberalised policy. This follows discussions last month between Transport Minister and his Singapore counterpart on the sidelines of the Asean Transport Ministers meet in Bangkok. “There were too many technical details involved and our officers could not vet through all then. We need to look through such matters carefully. The ministry's secretary-general will lead the talks in Singapore,” he said.

• The meeting would only explore a more liberal aviation sector between the two countries but not “an open skies” policy. He declined to reveal if the talks would focus on increasing the number of flights or if AirAsia’s request to fly to Singapore would be included in the agenda.

• He also said flight delays by Malaysia Airlines (MAS) and AirAsia had been reduced. “I have been monitoring weekly reports by the Department of Civil Aviation about the performance of MAS and AirAsia,” he said.

• On reports that Asmara Air would soon be the country’s second low-cost carrier, he said the company was currently a non-scheduled, chartered operator.

GneissGuy

Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:30 pm

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 78):
The meeting would only explore a more liberal aviation sector between the two countries but not “an open skies” policy. He declined to reveal if the talks would focus on increasing the number of flights or if AirAsia’s request to fly to Singapore would be included in the agenda.

I always have the opinion that such protectionistic measures would only result in higher inefficiencies in MAS. Of course it is natural for countries to protect their assets, but the question here is "at what cost?"

Let's hope the ASEAN Open Skies will become a reality with the SIN-KUL route kickstarting it, although i doubt the Malaysian government will budge and see the longer term, bigger pictures benefits brought about by increased tourism and arrivals, and instead focus on continuing protecting MAS.

odie

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:48 am

Some minor news:

Etihad will downgrade its AUH-KUL flight from A343 to A332 for the month of March before upgrading it to B77W from April onwards.

As mentioned in another thread, Egyptair will commence twice weekly CAI-BOM-KUL flight in June 2007.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Fri Mar 02, 2007 1:04 pm

Quoting Odie (Reply 80):
Egyptair will commence twice weekly CAI-BOM-KUL

Just nice, as the link between Malaysia and Egypt was cut when MH withdrawn from CAI on 28 October 2006.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Fri Mar 02, 2007 3:29 pm

In The Malaysian Aviation Thread 1, we have discussed about Tune Hotels, AK's hotel chain. Here is a news on its development.

Forty Tune Hotels target in S-E Asia
The Star

Notes

• No-frills hotel operator Tune Hotels Sdn Bhd plans to set up 30 to 40 hotels across South-East Asia, said director and co-founder Dennis Melka. “We currently have six hotels under development in Malaysia but we would like to be in every city in South-East Asia,” he said after the launch of Tune Hotels online booking yesterday.

• He said the company was currently in the process of raising capital to facilitate the expansion. “We have received a lot of interest from American, European, Middle Eastern and Asian investors,” Melka said adding that most of the interested parties were from the Middle East and Europe.

• Asked how much capital the company planned to raise, he said it would depend on the investors and the number of sites to be built. He added that the six hotels currently in development involved about RM20mil investment each.

• Chief operating officer Andy Song said the company’s roadmap for the future was to have at least 10 Tune Hotels in Kuala Lumpur in five years. “We have identified a few places in Kuala Lumpur that we want to go in,” he said, adding that the company was scouting for more locations.

• The online booking launch was a prelude to the official opening of the company’s flagship hotel at Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman, slated at end-March.

On the other hand, MH sold its ultra luxurious Four Season Resort & Spa in Langkawi.

MAS to sell hotel and boutique unit
The Star

Notes
Malaysia Airline said it planned to sell its hotel and boutique unit for RM435mil, and aimed to complete the sale by the end of the third quarter. – Reuters

Guess who bought the hotel?  Wink

Saudi’s Prince Al-Waleed buys MAS hotel and land for RM435m
http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/cont...93bfa40-cb73c03a-41a12f00-49a60fec

Notes

• Saudi Arabia’s Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal is acquiring Malaysian Airline System Bhd’s (MAS) hotel, retail business and several parcels of land in Langkawi for RM435 million cash.

• In an announcement on March 1, MAS said it was selling its unit MAS Hotels & Boutiques Sdn Bhd (MHB) to Kingdom Langkawi BV as part of its strategic asset rationalisation exercise to dispose of non-core assets. Kingdom Langkawi is linked to Prince Al-Waleed as it is an indirect unit of Kingdom Hotels Investments, which is affiliated to the Saudi prince. The Kingdom group’s core business is investment in hotels and resorts.

• MAS said MHB provides hotel and lodging facilities and is also involved in emporium and boutique operations. It owns several parcels of land totalling 35.55ha in Langkawi, which includes a hotel and resort, valued at RM385 million. MHB posted a net profit of RM1.23 million on the back of RM31.43 million in revenue for a nine-month period in 2005.

• Proceeds from the proposed disposal would be used for its working capital and restructuring, and also to defray expenses of about RM7.9 million for the disposal. It said the proposed disposal, to be completed by the third quarter of the year, would enable it to record a gain of RM62 million, translating into an improved earnings per share (EPS) of five sen. The EPS figure was based on the RM435 million cash, net assets of RM365.08 million based on MAS’ audited accounts as at Dec 31, 2005, and the estimated incidental expenses of RM7.9 million.

Airliners and their hotels business. Hmmm...

9MMAR
Topic Author

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:41 pm

It seems that MH's targeted profit of MYR 700 million in FY2007 has been misinterpret by some.

MAS clarifies report on so-called RM700m target
http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/cont...179f270-cb73c03a-41a12f00-a1a1cd91

Notes

• Malaysian Airline System Bhd (MAS) on March 1 clarified that a recent news article had taken its statement out of context by claiming that it aimed to make RM700 million in net profit in the year ending Dec 31, 2007.

• Responding to a query from Bursa Malaysia Securities Bhd, MAS said it had indicated during a media briefing on Feb 26 that “if the company can achieve a profit of between RM50 million and RM99 million (for 2007), it will be on target (under the company’s business turnaround plan)”.

• MAS also said that if the profit went up between RM100 million and RM299 million, it would exceed the company’s target. And if the company could achieve a profit of between RM399 million and RM700 million, it would be an outstanding performance, it said.

• MAS said that under the transformation programme for government-linked companies (GLCs), all GLCs had to disclose their headline key performance indicators (KPIs) when they announced their fourth-quarter or year-end results.

• “Henceforth, what was intended was to reflect the three achievement threshold scenarios (KPI) and if the company can achieve a profit within the RM300 million to RM700 million threshold, it would be an outstanding performance for the company since it would surpass the target set under the company’s business turnaround plan announced in February 2006,” it said.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Fri Mar 02, 2007 7:20 pm

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 82):
No-frills hotel operator Tune Hotels Sdn Bhd plans to set up 30 to 40 hotels across South-East Asia

The next Tune Hotels will be set up in Penang.

New budget hotel coming up in Penang
The Star

Notes

• Tune Hotels Sdn Bhd has bought the Prime Plaza building in Burmah Road to be converted into a 303-room no-frills hotel. Its chief operating officer said the purchase of the 10-storey property belonging to MWE Properties Sdn Bhd was finalised three weeks ago. However, he declined to reveal the quantum of the deal.

• “Let’s just say we got it at a reasonable price but we will announce the details later,” he said adding that refurbishment would begin in May. Song said the building was chosen because of its location.

• “The building is centralised and strategically located near Komtar and other popular tourist spots. Of course, the main attraction would be the surrounding hawker outlets, especially the New World Park at Swatow Lane,” he said.

• Song said the concept would be similar to its first hotel at Jalan Tuanku Abdul Rahman which is scheduled to open this month. "The room rates start from as low as RM9.90 per night if bookings are made in advance and non-peak times, but the average room rate will be about RM59,” he said.

• Tune Hotels founder and director Datuk Tony Fernandes announced last month that it would open at least five no-frills hotels this year. Besides the flagship hotel in Kuala Lumpur, Fernandes had also identified Kota Kinabalu, Johor Baru, Kuching and Penang as among the major cities where the group’s chain of hotels would be located.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:06 pm

AirAsia aims high in quality, connectivity
http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/cont...6e92666-cb73c03a-135da430-90988fde

Notes

• AirAsia Bhd’s strategy for the next five years is to have a high-quality product and an expanding connectivity.Over the next five years, there are two things. One is to have a very good quality product. The second goal is to add frequency and to connect the dots.

• AK's CEO, Fernandes said he wanted “to rid the image that AirAsia was not reliable” and “the customer experience to be great with a low fare.” To enhance its product quality, he said by June, its entire fleet would comprise Airbus aircraft and its menu would soon include roti canai and satay. Fernandes added that one of his targets was to increase the six flights per day frequency now from Kuala Lumpur to Bangkok and Jakarta to 12 flights daily. “So it’s really painting the skies red and giving people many options and giving people a high-quality product,” he said.

• Speaking to reporters at the unveiling of AirAsia’s Visit Malaysia Year (VMY) 2007 aircraft in Sepang on March 6, Fernandes said for 2006, AirAsia’s inbound passengers from Thailand, Indonesia, the Philippines, Cambodia and China had risen significantly. “Since we started, we have had 30 million people, and this year itself, we will carry 80 million people,” he added.

• On the Kuala Lumpur–Singapore route, Fernandes said: “We are very hopeful. We think it's time to end protection. Market should be opened up. We don’t believe AirAsia should be protected. Malaysian companies should stand up to competition. We can’t compete globally if we protect ourselves,” he said.

• On the progress of AirAsia X, Fernandes said: “There’ll be an announcement soon. I know they are close to buying some planes.”

• On a separate matter, AirAsia announced in a statement on March 6 the launch of its “The Grand Sale” promotion with fares as low as 30 sen to international destinations such as Jakarta and Bandung. Fares to Bali, Bangkok, Macau, Hanoi, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Siem Reap, Phnom Penh and Clark start from RM30. Booking opened from March 6 up to March 18 for travel between July 1 and Sept 30. AirAsia’s commercial executive vice president, said: “The Grand Sale is made possible for flights from our Malaysian hubs through our investment in new aircraft with added capacity. As we set to be an all-Airbus fleet by June this year, we hope to launch more exciting promotions that will see a return on investment made tangible by high passenger load.”

• AirAsia's unveiling of its VMY aircraft on March 6 was launched by Minister of Tourism.

View Large View Medium

Photo © M Radzi Desa
    View Large View Medium

Photo © M Radzi Desa

9MMAR
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:14 pm

More news as AK revealed its latest campaign.

Latest AirAsia promotion to salute airline’s 30 million customers
The Star

Notes

• Pack your bags folks, AirAsia is rewarding travellers with a ticket for a mere MYR 0.30. Yes, that is 30 sen.

• In its latest promotion to salute the 30 million guests who have flown the AirAsia Group in the past five years, tickets start from loose change – 30 sen to Jakarta and Bandung.

• Fares to international destinations like Bali, Bangkok, Macau, Hanoi, Phuket, Chiang Mai, Siem Reap, and Phnom Penh take off from RM30, AirAsia announced in a statement yesterday. The AirAsia Group comprises AirAsia Bhd, Thai AirAsia and Indonesia AirAsia.

• The booking period started from midnight yesterday and ends on March 18 for a three-month travel period spanning July 1 to Sept 30. AirAsia said that all fares quoted exclude airport taxes, fuel surcharges and fees, and were applicable for one-way travel only.

• Commercial Air Asia executive vice-president said that “The Grand Sale” was expected to stimulate travel with an allocation of half a million seats during the promotion. AirAsia guests have continuously exhibited high demand for low fares, adding that achieving the 30 million passenger mark proved that “low fares” ruled. “We believe there are still many people out there who have never flown before and with our low fares, we can encourage people to fly and open up new first time flyer markets,” she said.

• AirAsia is set to be an all-Airbus fleet by June. It currently operates more than 300 flights daily traversing 10 countries.

• On their latest VMY plane, the iconic red tail end of Malaysia’s sole low-cost carrier turned blue yesterday at KLIA in Sepang. No, AirAsia has not switched its support from Manchester United to Chelsea. Rather, it has emblazoned its new 180-seater Airbus A320 aircraft with the Visit Malaysia 2007 logo as one way of promoting the country. “It’s our contribution to the Visit Malaysia Year efforts,” AirAsia chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said.

30 sen?  eyepopping  AMAZING AirAsia!

9MMAR
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:20 pm

AK's deal with Malaysian gaming giant.

Genting and AirAsia to develop affordable packages
The Star

Notes

• Premier entertainment destination Genting Highlands Resort is focusing on the untapped markets of Sabah and Sarawak. Resorts World Bhd is teaming up with low cost carrier AirAsia to develop packages especially for the two east Malaysian states. These packages will be really attractive and many people will find them affordable.

• The Genting-AirAsia packages would likely include return airfare, transfers between KLIA and the resort, accommodation as well as tickets to the resort’s daily shows. Genting Highlands intends to attract more tourists from Sabah and Sarawak. Though AirAsia was also flying to Macau, another key gaming centre in Asia, Genting’s advantage was in its integrated resort that also offered theme parks, hotels and extensive shopping.

• “When I asked people in Sabah or Sarawak when was the last time they went to Genting, some will reply that they don’t gamble. We want to tell them that there’s a lot more in Genting for them to discover with their families,” Goldman said adding that more people would visit Genting Highlands now that there was budget air travel.

• The resort encompassing six hotels with 10,000 rooms attracts some 15 million visitors annually.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:46 pm

Another strike by AK!

AirAsia plans more new routes
The Star

Notes

• AirAsia Bhd plans this year to introduce between four and six new routes, including to Ho Chi Minh City, Vientiane and Myanmar. At the group level, this would mean a total nine new routes.

• On the launch date for the new routes from Malaysia, chief executive officer Datuk Tony Fernandes said the company was currently working hard to secure the rights for those destinations.

• “For our Indonesian unit, we plan to reintroduce the Jakarta-Johor Baru sector and launch a new route between Jakarta and Kuching. I see a lot of connectivity happening,” he said.

• Fernandes said there had not been much progress on talks for AirAsia to operate the Kuala Lumpur-Singapore route but he “remained hopeful”. “Competition is good and we are pushing hard to open the route. Ultimately, Malaysia will benefit and I welcome other low-cost carriers to operate here as well,” he said, adding that better connectivity meant an improved travel experience for tourists.

• For the next five years, Fernandes would like to develop a positive image for AirAsia, now seen as unreliable due to frequent flight delays. He also aims to increase frequency and improve connectivity. “I want to provide high quality services and give people many options,” he said.

• Meanwhile, brokerages said AirAsia's second quarter financial results were above expectation. A research report by Merrill Lynch said AirAsia's results exceeded its forecasts with the key pre-tax profit 13% ahead of expectation and 73% higher than the previous corresponding period. “The result was driven by revenue, with the airline posting both higher fares and a better load factor than we were expecting as domestic competition eased,” it said in the report. TA Securities senior analyst said AirAsia's cumulative pre-tax profit of RM105mil came within expectation but above consensus. “First half pre-tax profit accounted for 57% of our full year forecast,” she said.

• It revised the financial year 2007 (FY07) and FY08 earnings higher by 25% and 16% after lowering ancillary income as a percentage of revenue and factoring in a marginal tax rate of 5% beginning FY07 in line with the adoption of different accounting practices.

• A local brokerage said first half results were above expectations due to better yields, lower-than-expected cost and recognition of investment allowance as deferred tax assets. It also revised upwards its net profit forecast by 102% for FY07 and 23% for FY08 to factor in improvement in yields, lower cost and the impact of deferred taxation in FY07.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:59 pm

Emirates opens The Emirates Lounge at KUL yesterday. The lounge is for premium passengers and frequent flyers. The one in KLIA is the eighth to be opened in the Asia-Pacific. The KLIA lounge, costing RM2.5mil, is part of the airline’s RM127mil budget to promote and enhance its premium services for international passengers.

EK serves KUL 9 times a week, with Boeing 777-300ER, promising passengers capacity on this route being increased by 27%.

The airline was expected to see increased traffic from the Middle East to South-East Asia, in particular Malaysia. The greatest influx, as usual, will come in June, July and August when the Middle Eastern summer gets too hot. Malaysia is a prime destination for the Middle Eastern tourists as well. The South-East Asian region contributes about 27% of the airline’s revenue.

VHVXB

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:09 pm

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 89):
EK serves KUL 9 times a week, with Boeing 777-300ER, promising passengers capacity on this route being increased by 27%.

Does EK serve any other Intra Asian destination form KUL???

9MMAR
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:47 pm

Quoting VHVXB (Reply 90):
Does EK serve any other Intra Asian destination form KUL???

Yes, EK serves CGK from KUL, 3x per week, every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.

isz1

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:22 pm

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 64):
Let me guess, MAScak? (Cak = Peek a boo) or simply MASlah? (What kind of names is that anyway?)

first... MAS BEE, MAS B ... luckily now they go for Fire Fly ... orange is their new corporate color/image. About 18 or so ex MAS F50 cabin crew currently rated for B737/A330 already attended the briefing... did their F50 Safety Emergency Procedures class. PEN is their hub... now 1 MAS F50 already in PEN.
This is Malaysian Hospitality. This is MH.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:30 pm

Great news Isz1! Fire Fly, huh? Quite ok I supposed. Way better than MAS B! People, especially accountants may mistaken it as MASB, the Malaysian Accounting Standard Board.  tongue 

Quoting Isz1 (Reply 92):
now 1 MAS F50 already in PEN.

All MH's F50s are now belong to FAX. How can it be passed back to MH in an instant? I know that FAX is going to purchase 10 new Embraer and Bombardier for their operation. Is that mean, MH will take back all the F50s to be used by Fire Fly?

paparadzi

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting 9MMAR (Reply 93):
All MH's F50s are now belong to FAX. How can it be passed back to MH in an instant?

No, not all. 2 or 3 are still in SZB, not taken by FAX.

9M-MGI is now in PEN.
Rules are made for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools.

GuyBetsy1

Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:29 am

Hmm. AK has seats as low as 30sen between major asian cities but said that if given SIN-KUL, fares will be around RM137? Hello, that sounds kinda high... it certainly won't be as low as some people are hoping for. You can bet that AK will be making a clean profit on the KUL-SIN routes in no time.

That aside... if MH wants to survive, it needs join SKYTEAM soon. No more talks needed.. we need an announcement.
People who are alliance members - ie Star Alliance, Sky Team, Oneworld, fly with airlines they can get status miles. Although some may earn miles with MH, it is still not good enough. If say someone has memberships with a Star Alliance member, say UNITED AIRLINES Mileage Plus, and KLM Flying Blue and he has to fly between SIN and KUL. He can certainly earn miles on either SQ and MH, which airline do you think he'd take?

He'd take SQ. Because by flying SQ, he would be able to earn status miles which count toward a higher tier on his UNITED Mileage Plus programme. On KLM Flying Blue, he would get the miles but not the status. So unless MH joins a major alliance, it will lose market share to airlines who have membership. ie TG/SQ with Star Alliance, CX/JL (from 1st APR 2007) with Oneworld. It would have been great had MH gotten off their high horses and joined Oneworld when BA/QF opened invitations to them. But what did MH want? MH wanted QF and BA to abandon SIN and move their hub operations to KUL instead as it didn't want to be a feeder airline to Oneworld it said. Well, look at Oneworld now...!

Being a former Penangite.. I am pleased with some airliner growth with MH. But really, they need to get their act together. When I asked a friend to come to Malaysia a few years back from the USA, we opted for the Visit Asia MAS airpass. Then we realised that although the product sounded great, MH flights do not connect properly to each other. To fly from say DPS to BKK, you have to overnight in KUL. From BKK to MES, same thing. MH - please learn from SQ which we all know that they would rather roll over and die than to emulate SQ... to do a hub , your flights must connect!

But KUL will have one thing better than SIN though. Major airlines' have told me that KUL's inflight catering is better than SIN. JL for example has told me personally (when I complained about their meals from SIN) that they know about the quality of food from SIN, and when they can for flights originating from KUL to japan via SIN, they preferred to cater ex-KUL than ex-SIN.

9MMAR
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:43 pm

AirAsia X postponed!

FAX postpones long-haul services by as long as a year
http://www.theedgedaily.com/cms/cont...1d95737-cb73c03a-b9b8d000-555f3b58

Notes

• Fly Asian Xpress (FAX) has postponed its long-haul budget services by as long as a year as it cannot get the aircraft it needs to start operations in July, said FAX shareholder Datuk Tony Fernandes. “We can't find the planes. AirAsia X will definitely start at the latest in August 2008. If they can find planes before then, they will start, otherwise they won't,'' Fernandes, who owns 10% of FAX, told Bloomberg in Singapore on March 8.

• He said FAX planned to order 15 twin-aisle aircraft from Airbus SAS or Boeing Co, valued at as much as US$2.9 billion (RM10.17 billion) at list prices. He said AirAsia X, the new airline, would pick Boeing's 777-200 or the A330-300 aircraft by Airbus.

• Flights were initially scheduled to start in July after FAX in January won government approval to begin services. AirAsia X had planned to lease two or three planes this year and purchase more for delivery in 2008.

• Meanwhile, Fernandes, who is also AirAsia Bhd’s chief executive officer, said the budget carrier would need to buy more planes to meet rising travel demand. It already has total firm orders for 150 aircraft. AirAsia expects a 50% rise in passenger traffic this year, driven by demand in Thailand, Malaysia and Indonesia.

• The carrier expected to hedge 100% of its fuel needs this year and had hedged 80% of its requirement this quarter, Fernandes said.

A BIG hiccup!

MH1402

Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:44 pm

FAX postpones long-haul services by as long as a year

Full story from The Edge

I wonder what had happened? This is very unlike Tony Fernandes
For the King and country...

9MMAR
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:55 am

Tales of a prince and a former flight attendant (both not related to each other).  tongue 

Tunku Idris slightly injured in plane crash
The Star

Notes

• A light aircraft carrying Tunku Idris Tunku Ibrahim, the third child of Tunku Mahkota Johor Tunku Ibrahim Ismail Sultan Iskandar, crash landed at a vacant piece of land in Taman Melodi here.

• Kapt Abdul Rois Saad was also on board the aircraft, an Eagle 150 Bravo, when the incident occurred at 5.30pm yesterday. Both escaped with minor injuries and were given outpatient treatment at the Kluang Hospital. Tunku Idris, 19, was later admitted into Puteri Specialist Hospital at 9.15pm for observation.

• It is learnt that the pair encountered problems when they were preparing to land at Kem Mahkota, Kluang, and made an emergency landing at a vacant piece. Johor CID chief Senior Asst Comm (II) Roslan Ahmad confirmed the case but declined to elaborate. Tunku Idris is a lieutenant with the army air unit. He received his training at the Army Training Centre (Pulada) in Kota Tinggi last year. He has been based at Kem Mahkota since the beginning of the year.

‘Porn actor’ back in court
The Star

Notes

• The lead actor of the infamous Kisah Penghidupan Seorang Pramugara Yang Terlampau (Excessive Lifestyle of an Air Steward) is in hot water again. This time, it is over “shameful video recordings” that he was said to have made with a trainee nurse.

• Mohd Rizal Mat Yusof, who was convicted in 2004 for making the infamous pornographic VCD with the intention of distributing it to the public, was yesterday charged with committing criminal intimidation. The 36-year-old man allegedly threatened his 24-year-old then girlfriend that he would distribute the “shameful video recordings” with the intention to strike fear in her.

• Mohd Rizal, a former Malaysia Airlines air steward but unemployed now, claimed trial to committing the offence in front of the trainee nurse’s apartment unit in Bandar Baru Sentul here on Feb 23 at around 11.30pm. Referring to the 2004 case, she said Mohd Rizal had been jailed 18 months by the Klang Sessions Court but was granted a stay of execution pending an appeal against the conviction. “That case shook the whole country and it affected the well-being of a lot of people.

• “Today’s charge features a similar modus operandi in which the accused had made shameful video recordings of a woman and threatened her that he would distribute it,” the prosecutor said. Tetralina further urged the court not to allow bail to avoid a repeat of the previous case. Mohd Rizal, however, pleaded for bail, saying that his girlfriend had wrongly accused him. “I did not threaten her because I’m aware that the previous case still hangs over me. Logically, I wouldn’t have dared to do it,” he said.

• Mohd Rizal asked the court to give him a chance to find work to support his two children and elderly parents as well as to hire a lawyer. He said he was an assistant manager until two months ago. “I’m not a violent man, ma’am. I didn’t do it. I can’t even afford a lawyer now after raising the RM18,000 bond for my stay of execution.

• Magistrate Azniza Mohd Ali allowed bail at RM5,000 in one surety on condition that Mohd Rizal reports to the nearest police station on a monthly basis. She also barred Mohd Rizal from disturbing the complainant and other witnesses in the case. Azniza fixed April 10 to allow the accused to appoint a lawyer. Mohd Rizal’s father later posted bail for him.

No comment!

9MMAR
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:04 pm

A state government's effort in opening route to India.

Koh urges Tamil Nadu to allow direct flights to Penang
The Star

Notes

• PENANG has urged Tamil Nadu to allow airline companies to operate direct flights between Chennai and Penang, Malaysia Nanban reported.

• Chief Minister Tan Sri Dr Koh Tsu Koon said direct flights would cut travel time to less than three hours, he told reporters after meeting Tamil Nadu Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi in Chennai. Dr Koh was leading a delegation of businessmen and government officials on a trade mission to India.

PEN has been in the limelight since MH's announced that the airport will be the base for its new business set up, Fire Fly and also Asmara Airlines, which will also operate from the airport. AK is expected to open its 5th Malaysian hub in PEN too, with the construction of an LCC in the pipeline.

If would be great to have a PEN-MAA flight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos