Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

richierich

RE: Jetblue To Hawaii?

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:23 am

Quoting MaverickM11 (Reply 48):
I don't think B6 has the right plane, or the right West Coast presence to compete effectively to Hawaii. Same goes for F9, since I know that's another thread that shows up regularly.

I agree. This is why B6 will not be flying to HNL or anywhere else in the Aloha State anytime soon. This topic comes up quite often, actually, and its always the same answer: NO.
None shall pass!!!!

highflier92660

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:43 am

Quoting Crberkley (Reply 3):
No we aren't going to Hawaii anytime soon. Our 320s can't make it transcon without stopping for fuel, so Hawaii would be out of the question unless we get mid air refueling capabilities.

Whew, I'm glad you said it and not me!

The A320 is a great little plane but as of now B6 is playing all kinds of games on a few routes just to fly it nonstop east to west during the winter months when the sub-polar Jetstream dips. Naturally the BOS and JFK boarding pax are oblivious that their flight crew has filed to SLC because the A320 won't have legal reserves upon reaching the west coast. However a majority of the time everything works out, head wind components aren't too great and LGB or OAK stay above minimums negating the extra legal fuel for an IFR alternate. In that event Jet Blue re-files enroute with center and proceeds nonstop and the passengers are none the wiser. In the event of an occasional diversion to SLC or LAS the passengers (I've heard) are told the technical stop was to "to adverse weather conditions."

Hopefully the Aviation Partners blended winglets will gain the 3% in efficiency that Jet Blue is looking for to eliminate this glitch in their flight schedules. As of right now, even if all B6's A320 were ETOPS'ed and the Hawaiian yields were great, the aircraft still could not make the run even with Jet-A dripping out the vent surge tanks at Long Beach.

DC8FanJet

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:46 am

While the 319 and possibly the 320's with load limits have the range, No UA Airbus's are etops certified. Having the range and having the certification are 2 separate things. United has never flown the Airbus to Hawaii.

propilotjw

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:55 am

Yes, we will open HNL when we recieve our A330's. No HNL service is in the plans right now. As always, plans are subject to change.  Smile

richierich

Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:58 am

Quoting Highflier92660 (Reply 51):
In that event Jet Blue re-files enroute with center and proceeds nonstop and the passengers are none the wiser. In the event of an occasional diversion to SLC or LAS the passengers (I've heard) are told the technical stop was to "to adverse weather conditions."

From all that I hear, it is a rare event, and certainly not something that happens as often as people will let you believe on this site.

Additionally, during "adverse weather conditions", other carriers using the A320 are forced to plan for tech stops also. US flies A320s to the West Coast from PHL (they used to fly an A321 PHL-SAN; not sure if they still do). My point is, B6 is not alone but because the A320 is their primary aircraft, the need for refueling is overplayed.
None shall pass!!!!

AADC10

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:06 am

Quoting Sllevin (Reply 13):
Hawaii routes generate outstanding yields. That's why airlines such as NW have been adding 'disjoint' non-hub flights such as SFO-HNL into their mix. The cheapest fare even published (and as you know, getting the cheapest fare is always tough) typically has a 7.5 cent/mile yield.

No, Hawaii is low yield. There are not very many published rock bottom fares but there are low end charters which take the very low end. Bulk seats are sold to consolidators and big travel agents like UA's Pleasant Holidays contract. At the other end there is little high fare business travel and purchased first class. The lowest fare is not necessarily indicative of the yield, particularly to vacation destinations.

B6 already has Florida. They have plenty of flights to vacation destinations there. They also do not need it as a FF mileage dump like the legacy carriers. Add to the economic factors the fact that HNL would be close to the maximum range of the A320 makes HI an unlikely destination for B6.

WesternA318

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:33 am

Quoting 1337Delta764 (Reply 8):
No, ever since NW retired their DC-10s, NW now flies A330s on MSP-HNL

Doesn't JetStar fly their 332's to HNL?

Quoting Highflier92660 (Reply 51):
In the event of an occasional diversion to SLC or LAS the passengers (I've heard) are told the technical stop was to "to adverse weather conditions."

LOL, "Folks we'll be landing in SLC to top off our tanks, due to unforseen weather occurrences in the LGB area...SLC weather is reporting solid fog and blizzard snow, thank you for flying B6"

N1120A

Wed Feb 14, 2007 4:36 am

Quoting FL370 (Reply 49):
i don't think UA has ever flown an airbus from the mainland to hawaii!! they can't even fly that far

Yes they can fly that far, but no they haven't.

Quoting Richierich (Reply 54):
US flies A320s to the West Coast from PHL (they used to fly an A321 PHL-SAN; not sure if they still do).

They fly A321s to LAX

Quoting AADC10 (Reply 55):
Bulk seats are sold to consolidators and big travel agents like UA's Pleasant Holidays contract.

Which usually hit a better rate for the airlines than individual passenger sales.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

Viscount724

Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:41 am

Quoting AirportPlan (Reply 44):
Quoting Drewwright (Reply 43):
There's a reason why the 757 is the only narrowbody crossing the pacific on a regular basis.

Aloha's 737-700s also fly from the mainland to Hawaii daily.

And WestJet 737-700s YVR-HNL daily, and Air Pacific 737-800s YVR-HNL-NAN twice a week.

B6FA4ever

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:02 am

Quoting Bobnwa (Reply 42):
Quoting Call911mfc (Reply 41):
Flew last August to Hawaii on NWA MSP-HNL on an A330 and had to stop in PDX for fuel.

I'm surprised that a A330 had to stop for fuel from MSP-HNL. Are you sure it didn't stop for some other reason, crew change, weather, pick up pax etc.?

i doubt that you were on an A330. spotters in HNL would've been all over that here on A.net since the A330 wasn't to make its debut to HNL till Jan. '07. that flight must've been a through flight via PDX on a B757-300.

Quoting Richierich (Reply 54):
Additionally, during "adverse weather conditions", other carriers using the A320 are forced to plan for tech stops also. US flies A320s to the West Coast from PHL (they used to fly an A321 PHL-SAN; not sure if they still do). My point is, B6 is not alone but because the A320 is their primary aircraft, the need for refueling is overplayed.

dude, very nicely put!  Smile I mainly only work transcon flights and i rarely have tech-stop'd for fuel on the west-bound flights. *KNOCK ON WOOD*.

~B6FA4ever

adizzy

Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:09 am

People make such a big deal about the stopping for fuel on the way to the west coast. You know i would rather them make the stop and have enough fuel rather than taking the risk of forging forth and barely making it!

Hey since they reduced the number of seats on the A320(or are in the process of doing this)....maybe they will not need to extra fuel stops any longer...less wieght....less fuel consupmtion!

I would love to fly them to Hawaii, but as much as i LOVE JETBLUE i would rather not connect in Long Beach or OAK.....MAYBE SFO!

richierich

Thu Feb 15, 2007 1:09 am

Quoting ADiZzy (Reply 60):
People make such a big deal about the stopping for fuel on the way to the west coast. You know i would rather them make the stop and have enough fuel rather than taking the risk of forging forth and barely making it!

I've heard a lot of inflammatory responses as to why the tech stops are bad. Such as "if they advertise a non-stop flight, then I should get one!", etc. One poster, I forget who, even went as far as to suggest B6 was using bait and switch tactics by not having non-stop flights when they are advertised as such.

Anyone with half a brain knows this is complete nonsense. The rate of B6 tech stops, for refueling purposes, is low.. I haven't been to CA this year but I flew a few times last winter and my flights were fine. I have heard about BUR issues, but that is mostly eastbound due to the airport's geography - and even those tech stops are rare.
None shall pass!!!!

747400sp

Thu Feb 15, 2007 9:18 am

Quoting ATCGOD (Reply 4):
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't it be the first Airbus service to Hawaii?

I think NW replace their DC10 flight from Detroit to Hawaii with A330's.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos