Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

sam1987
Topic Author

BD Aircraft & Crew Bases

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:27 pm

Unlike BA, am I right in saying BD base crew at almost every airport they serve in Britain?

I know they have Airbus crew in LBA and MAN, but do they have Airbus crew in MME, EDI, GLA, INV and BHD too?

Does anybody know what kind of roster these crew operate? Do they just operate the shuttle routes to LHR or do they also fly onward services from LHR?

As for aircraft, I assume they are all officially based in LHR, but nightstop at different airports. Is that correct?
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

BMED

RE: BD Aircraft & Crew Bases

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:36 pm

Mainline A319/A329/A330

EDI and GLA is a joint crew base.
LHR long and short haul
MAN long and short haul
LBA short haul
DUB short haul

Regional ERJ135/145

EDI
GLA
ABZ
MAN
LBA
EMA?

Feel free to add or amend as I wasn't also sure about teeside, think that was only baby.

Just out of interest I was on an evening LHR to EDI flight on saturday and there was a captain and cc member going to EDI to fly an aircraft to cardiff then on a charter. How come the company uses LHR crew for a EDI charter?
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

sam1987
Topic Author

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:49 pm

Thanks for the info.

Quoting BMED (Reply 1):
I was on an evening LHR to EDI flight on saturday and there was a captain and cc member going to EDI to fly an aircraft to cardiff then on a charter. How come the company uses LHR crew for a EDI charter?

I think BD must be doing more charters nowadays. I was speaking to an LBA based Airbus crew last year and they said they've done charters from LGW.

They must have some kind of bizarre rostering system!
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

BMED

Wed Feb 14, 2007 7:58 pm

I know. I could understand a crew having to fly to an airport with no crew based there but seemed a bit odd to fly a crew out to EDI, hotel them in the hilton where I heard them say they were staying when you could have saved those costs.

Lite

Wed Feb 14, 2007 8:57 pm

Quoting BMED (Reply 1):
EMA?

One bmi regional ERJ-145 is based here to operate the three-times daily Brussels service, and in the summer months also operates charter flights to Italy.
LCC Lover Lite

gkirk

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:20 pm

Quoting BMED (Reply 1):
Mainline A319/A329/A330

LHR long and short haul
MAN long and short haul
LBA short haul
DUB short haul

You sure?
I always thought LHR was the only shorthaul Airbus base and MAN longhaul. All the rest (except DUB) BMI ERJ bases
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

cardiffairtaxi

Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 2):

BMI were being used to ferry Welsh Rugby supporters,back and forth to CWL.

BrianDromey

Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:04 pm

LBA is a definate Airbus base. It also has a large bmi regional operation, with based crew.

As for charters, because there are so few LBA-LHR-LBA runs on a Sat, the crews ferry the aircraft to LGW and then operate the charter. The flights do show up on LBA's arrival and departure boards, but Im not sure if it's possible to actaully travel on the route. Its not booable on-line.

Cheers,
Brian.

cjbmibe

Thu Feb 15, 2007 3:05 am

There are some Northern Irish people working for BD, whether they are based in BHD I do not know. BD always have 1 night stopper all week and on Friday night an additional one to serve a TopSki Charter to VRN, twice on saturday.

BD paid for a £3 million extension to the current terminal to house the DC & Business lounges, as well as offices. From Baggage sort I can look in on the BD office suite, which has dispatch and some other offices. Strangely Aviance took over from BMAS when it was created, yet in BHD BD have their own dispatchers and checkin crew. Aviance only provide baggage services and push for them.
How can I soar like an Eagle when I have to work with these turkeys?

lovinitflyboy

Thu Feb 15, 2007 4:48 am

Quoting Gkirk (Reply 5):
You sure?
I always thought LHR was the only short haul Airbus base and MAN longhaul. All the rest (except DUB) BMI ERJ bases

Yes, LHR has both Long haul, short haul and even mixed fleet (long and short haul) crew.
MAN has long and short haul.
GLA, EDI, MME, BFS, DUB, LBA all have airbus crew.
and we even have a sole crew member left in our former AMS base!

Quoting BMED (Reply 1):

Not all crew based in GLA and EDI are duel based, i think it's just the crew on the newer contracts.

Quoting BMED (Reply 1):
How come the company uses LHR crew for a EDI charter?

The EDI base is a small base and just covers the LHR flights, LHR has extra crew so we are ferried all over the place to cover charter and even normal fights from other bases.

sam1987
Topic Author

Thu Feb 15, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting Lovinitflyboy (Reply 9):
GLA, EDI, MME, BFS, DUB, LBA all have airbus crew.

Thanks for the info. Do the crew at any of these bases operate more than just the LHR shuttle routes?

By the way... it's BHD nowadays.

Quoting Lovinitflyboy (Reply 9):
The EDI base is a small base and just covers the LHR flights

Isn't it a bit of a boring job then? If I was EDI based and only ever flew to LHR and back, I might start looking to fly with a different airline!

BA777

Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:47 pm

Out of interest, what's the latest on PH-MCV (the leased 763 from Arkefly)? Has it gone back?

Henry

BMED

Fri Feb 16, 2007 12:17 am

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 10):
Thanks for the info. Do the crew at any of these bases operate more than just the LHR shuttle routes?

Isn't it a bit of a boring job then? If I was EDI based and only ever flew to LHR and back, I might start looking to fly with a different airline!

I guess you find that the aircraft might operate EDI-LHR-BHD-LHR-EDI or something similar.

lovinitflyboy

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:37 am

Do the crew at any of these bases operate more than just the LHR shuttle routes?

Mostly! but with LHR short of flight Supervisors, they come from other bases and night stop in LHR to cover all the network. Even from LHR the shift patterns can be LHR-AMS-LHR-AMS-LHR, or LHR-EDI-LHR-EDI-LHR so it's just the same, sometimes crewing use there imagination and come up with a nicer working day (but not often  Silly )

Quoting BA777 (Reply 11):
Out of interest, what's the latest on PH-MCV

I heard today that it will be going back in May and there wont be any further extensions!

Well it's not for me either, but for people with young family's or people who just don't want to be away from home it works well, you can still fly and be home most nights and have a steady work pattern. The out stations have some of the most senior crew in the company, so it must work for them.

BA777

Fri Feb 16, 2007 3:55 am

Thanks for the info about MCV  Smile

Henry

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos