haggis79
Topic Author

Boarding By Bus...

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:44 am

In Europe, boarding by bus (plane on a remote stand) is all but unusual... at least for shorter/regional/charter flights or budget carriers... (in CDG for long-haul as well, but that's a special situation due to the collapse of 2E). I've never seen anything like it in the US, though... at best a short walk across the tarmac for RJ stands without a jetway. Any reason for that?
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

ACFA

RE: Boarding By Bus...

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:52 am

Not enough gates maybe?

IAHFLYR

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:55 am

Took a bus at MXP last summer to get on the CO B762 back to EWR......something about DL being late and they had the gate tied up.

At IAH some of the CO Express flights board via a bus on a hard stand due to lack of jetway space during some of the large banks......I want to say something like 12 aircraft board that way.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

KELPkid

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:59 am

Does Dulles (IAD) still use the busses that connect to the plane like a jetway? I remember those from 1986...
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

haggis79
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:00 am

Quoting ACFA (Reply 1):
Not enough gates maybe?

certainly.... but in Europe it's not a stop-gap measure, as far as I am aware (apart from those CDG long-haul flights again). Most Airports in Europe have quite an amount of dedicated bus gates... as well as bus stops down every "normal" gate with dedicated access via indoor stairs from the waiting area. Quite different compared to the setup in the US where the only way to get down to the tarmac would be via narrow outdoor stairs... and no means of boarding a bus down there, of course...
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

ehho

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:00 am

Quoting Haggis79 (Thread starter):
at least for shorter/regional/charter flights or budget carriers..

At FRA every time I've arrived longhaul we deplaned by stairs and bus. Also this morning on LH 403 from EWR, which was one of the things that cost me my connection to AMS.. arrrgh. I've also had it at LHR with BA on longhaul. It's pretty well SOP in some places it seems. At AMS I've only deplaned by stairs and bus twice at B/C gates (regional flights).
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

haggis79
Topic Author

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:01 am

Quoting KELPkid (Reply 3):
Does Dulles (IAD) still use the busses that connect to the plane like a jetway? I remember those from 1986...

they did that in CDG as well in 2005 and the beginning of 2006.... don't know if they still do, though.... but it was a cool ride  Smile

ehho

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:02 am

Negative, I believe they only have them to connect the concourses. I recall that one of Montreal's airports had it too, probably YMX which is closed now..
"Get your facts first. Then you may distort them as much as you please" -- Mark Twain

KevinSmith

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:06 am

When I was still in college I would fly LEX-MDW-MSP on ATA.. LEX-MDW was a Saab 340. Long story short you had to be bused from the a/c to the terminal as the area where the Saabs boarded was across the parallel runways. On the return leg you'd board a bus at a gate that took you out to the Saabs. It was kind of cool because the bus would cross the end of the parallels.
Learning to fly, but I ain't got wings.

FlyingColours

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:09 am

At MAN due to the small number of gates at T2 airlines have to rotate, so to speak with so many flights operating from a remote, Ithink.

All I knew was it was always my damn nightflights that would end up on 315 with only 1 bus for a 757......

Its very common downroute, ala the Greek Isles are all busses, Cyprus too & Sharm El Sheikh (SSH) & MLA. Sometimes too we end up on a remote stand in the Canaries - TFS particularly when its a busy UK day such as Fridays.

BRS doesn't have any jetbridges for an airport its size, nor does EMA, HUY & EXT, although you just walk to the aircraft at those airports.

Phil
FlyingColours
Lifes a train racing towards you, now you can either run away or grab a chair & a beer and watch it come - Phil

aarbee

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:11 am

(in CDG for long-haul as well, but that's a special situation due to the collapse of 2E). I've never seen anything like it in the US, though...

SJU (non AA terminal) has no aero bridges. You have to walk to the aircraft. CDG even before 2E collapse, based on the gate availability had to be bussed to terminal.
Love the AIXes

L1011

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:44 am

I recently flew MIA to NAS on American Eagle, and at MIA I was bused out to the plane for my outbound flight, and bused from the plane to the gate on my return. A lot of flights were being bused out of those gates.

Bob Bradley
Richmond, VA
Fly Eastern's Golden Falcon DC-7B

metroliner

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:48 am

VIE also has a number of bus gates - seemingly every time i fly air berlin, i get one! not a big deal, really  Smile

toni
Set the controls for the heart of the Sun

Viscount724

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:13 am

Quoting EHHO (Reply 7):

Negative, I believe they only have them to connect the concourses. I recall that one of Montreal's airports had it too, probably YMX which is closed now..

That's not corrrect unless the situation has changed since I last visited IAD about a year ago. On about 20 transatlantic trips to IAD over the past 8 or 9 years on almost all carriers operating from Europe, at least several European carriers (BA/AF to name two I clearly recall) always parked at remote stands on arrival and passengers deplaned directly into the "mobile lounges" for the trip to the immigration/customs area of the main terminal. UA uses their own gates with jetways and I believe have their own US immigrations/customs facilities in their concourse so their arrival procedures (and any carriers they may handle at their gates) are different.

I believe a couple of my trips on VS did park at terminal gates and passengers deplaned through jetways and then walked through a sterile passageway to the boading area for the mobile lounge for the trip to the main terminal immigration area.

However, to the best of my memory, on departure, flights of all carriers were parked at jetways and the mobile lounge was only used between the main terminal and the applicable concourse. With no outbound passport/immigration controls from the USA there's no problem mixing international/domestic departures, unlike arrivals. The aircraft had obviously been towed from the remote arrival stand to the departure gate/jetway at some point during the turnaround.

I know they are doing a lot of major construction at IAD so not sure how things will work when it is finished.

PiedmontINT

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:13 am

I know at DCA alot of the RJ's are parked on a remote stand and buses take you to and from one of the gates. It was pretty cool riding on the ramp as I got some great views of the landing traffic.

dw747400

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:14 am

IAD still has the mobile lounges, and they do occasionally dock with aircraft though the vast majority of aircraft use jetways. A few airports use mobile lounges to unload Combis and other aircraft that are not compatible with traditional jetways.
CFI--Certfied Freakin Idiot

sampa737

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:29 am

I've done this here in Sao Paulo at both GRU and CGH. I think it's because there just are not enough jetways. Just a little weird to be bussed in an airport. I also had this happen in Paris about 8 years ago. That was cool though. Our DL plane was parked next to 2 concordes!!

FURUREFA

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:30 am

For MQ at SJU, all ATR flights are bussed from the "gates" straight to the waiting aircraft on the tarmac.

Matt

ChiGB1973

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:37 am

Quoting KevinSmith (Reply 8):
When I was still in college I would fly LEX-MDW-MSP on ATA.. LEX-MDW was a Saab 340. Long story short you had to be bused from the a/c to the terminal as the area where the Saabs boarded was across the parallel runways. On the return leg you'd board a bus at a gate that took you out to the Saabs. It was kind of cool because the bus would cross the end of the parallels.

I always thought it was a treat too, getting to ride across the tarmac. Gives you a different perspective. I was and still am, like a kid in a candy store at the airport.

I flew in and out of LCA often when working for TZ. There was a bus ride whether a company flight or positioning in/out. I don't recall any jet bridges at LCA. Never bothered me.

M

cinja

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:37 am

In Japan, it happens at most domestic airports, particularly with low cost carriers. I always assumed it was due to a lack of gates, but also wondered if it could be due to loading from the tarmac being cheaper than from a gate.

On a recent trip to OKA, we deplaned at a gate, but the aircraft was then towed over to the tarmac and the next flight loaded by bus. I thought this was a simple way to save money, but perhaps it was just gate availability.

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Reply 18):
I always thought it was a treat too, getting to ride across the tarmac.

Totally agree. Nothing like being able to get a picture of your aircraft with no window or jetway to block it.

And there are other experiences you might get to enjoy.

In one case at HND, we were stopped to let a plane pass in front of us. The bus driver came on the intercom and said "Sorry, we must stop for a minute to allow an aircraft to pass in front of us". Once the aircraft was safely past, he came back on and said "Thank you for waiting. The bus will now continue." What surprised me is how completely unconcerned the other passengers were. Having an A320 passing a few metres in front of you is something that doesn't happen every day (at least to me).

At CTS, I boarded a flight back to HND by bus. It was a long ride and well worth it as I saw the Japan Air Force 747 20-1101
View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © JKSC

taking off. While on the plane, I saw several fighters (F-15 I believe) practicing their near-vertical climbing capability - truly amazing. Would not have seen this from the terminal.

CinJA

centrair

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:56 pm

Back in 1994 I took a trip to China.

1) NW ORD-NRT Deplaned at a remote stand and took a bus to the terminal. (747-200)
2) NW NRT-HKG Deplaned at a remote stand and took a bus to the terminal. (747-200)
3) CZ CAN-XIA Took a bus from the terminal to airplane (Brand-spanking new 757 at the time)
4) China Northwest XIA to The middle of nowhere Yulin Walked across tarmac to some chinese built prop where the seats folded forward. Scariest flight of my life.
5) Middle of nowhere Yulin to XIA on China Northwest. Walked across tarmac to plane. Upon arrival at XIA walked from plane to terminal. 2nd scariest flight of my life.
6) NW NRT-ORD Took a bus from terminal to airplane on a remote stand (747-200)

NGO-DPS
At old NGO (now NKM) we boarded a bus to a remote stand to board a Garuda A333.

At the new NGO, buses are used to bus out people to charter flights only. The charters don't get jetways so they have to use stairs and a bus. Campuchea (to Cambodia) and World (for a group that performed for US pavillion at World Expo) have done charters. The planes park at a remote stand.

[Edited 2007-02-16 06:00:58]
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

iad51fl

Fri Feb 16, 2007 1:59 pm

At IAD currently Saudi, South African, LAB, and National (charter) use the direct docking mobile lounges. On occassion TACA uses them if LH is still using their shared gates. I have used them a few times when our gate was still occupied, and sent the pax over in a mobile lounge from B49... its alot faster too.

If you see HXX as the gate assignment, those are the flights that use the mobile lounges. South African still boards at B at the Virgin/Korean gate but uses the mobile lounges to load the aircraft at the H hardsands.

Chris
Enjoying the view of KIAH approach end of 27. 29.980548, -95.271201

Electech6299

Fri Feb 16, 2007 2:22 pm

I was about to say no, but the correct answer is not for domestic flights. All but a few of the "plane mates" have been disabled and are limited to the height of the concourse docks.

Quoting EHHO (Reply 7):
Negative, I believe they only have them to connect the concourses.

checkmark  that is their primary use until the APM (train) is finished.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 13):
always parked at remote stands on arrival and passengers deplaned directly into the "mobile lounges" for the trip to the immigration/customs area of the main terminal.

I had forgotten about the international ops- I'm not in that area of the airport much, but I do vaguely recall mobile lounges being used to transport pax to Customs from remote areas.

Quoting Viscount724 (Reply 13):
I know they are doing a lot of major construction at IAD so not sure how things will work when it is finished.

Most of the visible work is for the underground train (APM referenced above), that will replace the lounge traffic between the concourse, and I recall something about a secure train to customs but I don't know much about that aspect of the project.

Quoting IAD51FL (Reply 21):
At IAD currently Saudi, South African, LAB, and National (charter) use the direct docking mobile lounges. On occassion TACA uses them if LH is still using their shared gates. I have used them a few times when our gate was still occupied, and sent the pax over in a mobile lounge from B49... its alot faster too.

If you see HXX as the gate assignment, those are the flights that use the mobile lounges. South African still boards at B at the Virgin/Korean gate but uses the mobile lounges to load the aircraft at the H hardsands.

Thanks for clearing things up- so AirTran actually uses the plane mates? Talk about a clash in cultures! efficiency and economy vs. history and legacy...  Yeah sure

I can't wait to see the APM project wrap up, I'm tired of seeing Red Virginia Clay cover the landscape at my home...

On another note (back to topic), doesn't BWI still use buses for international flights? Like they used for this one? (oops...)

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Colin T. Ebert

Send not to know for whom the bell tolls...it tolls for thee

NWOrientDC10

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:06 pm

Boarding By Bus...

I've never seen anything like it in the US, though...

Boarding by busses and other vehicles occurred years ago.

I first saw "plane mates" at JFK in 1986.

Quoting Electech6299 (Reply 22):
I was about to say no, but the correct answer is not for domestic flights. All but a few of the "plane mates" have been disabled and are limited to the height of the concourse docks.

What happened to the disabled plane mates?

http://www.metwashairports.com/_/Gallery%20Image/_/plane_mate.jpg

Good day  Smile

Russell
Things aren't always as they seem

N1120A

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:32 pm

I've never seen anything like it in the US, though...

Happens all the time in the US, though not as often as in Europe

Any reason for that?

Priority. European airports save a lot of money by not building as many jetway gates and relying on hard stands.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

LHRBFSTrident

Fri Feb 16, 2007 6:36 pm

Quoting EHHO (Reply 7):
YMX which is closed now

YMX did use that system - I also saw several mobile lounges trundling around at YUL in 2002

Quoting ChiGB1973 (Reply 18):
I don't recall any jet bridges at LCA.

There are indeed no jet bridges at LCA (not sure if the 'new' terminal at Nicosia was built with jet bridges before that airport became part of the UN-patrolled buffer-zone in 1974)

Also boarding and deplaning by bus at Kai Tak used to be fairly frequent due to the severely limited number of jet bridges at the terminal - always fun deplaning in a typhoon: the handling agent, Jardine Airways, used to provide plastic ponchos to deplaning pax to protect them from squalls

Also deplaned at LAX to the buses once (2003?) arriving from FRA on LH - a/c arrived at T6 but at that time T6 had no Intl arrivals facilities, so pax deplaned via steps to buses and were driven over to TBIT

CHRISBA777ER

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:01 pm

Do it all the time at DXB and I've done it at AUH as well. In Europe ive done it at LGW, IBZ, LCA, AGP, TFS, LPA, SSH, and PRG.
What do you mean you dont have any bourbon? Do you know how far it is to Houston? What kind of airline is this???

Asturias

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:28 pm

Last time I flew out from CDG, I went from Terminal 2 on a bus for almost half an hour. I kid you not. This was on a flight from CDG to BCN with Air France.

The crew did apologize, they said there had been a confusion and the plane had been parked at the wrong place. Big grin

saludos

Asturias
Tonight we fly

Carpethead

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:29 pm

Bussing to remote stands are getting to be a rare occurence in Japan these days. At Tokyo HND & NRT, the number of gates did not equate with the number of flights operated, but with increased number of gates at T2 & T1, at each respective airport, the need for bussing had virtually vanished.
The airport which will see increasing amount of bussing will be KIX, particularly in the morning. There is no immediate plans for building another Terminal and the number of flights will increase with the opening of the second runway in August this year. More remote stands are scheduled to open too.

Bangkok's Don Muang used to have plenty of flights boarding/deboarding from remote stands but with all the new airports springing up in Asia, bussing has been reduced than in previous years.

SA7700

Fri Feb 16, 2007 7:56 pm

Does Dulles (IAD) still use the busses that connect to the plane like a jetway?

We boarded SA208 (IAD-JNB) via "people movers" on January 20. It seems as if this is now a daily occurrence for SA at IAD, however I stand corrected.

Rgds

SA7700
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

stylo777

Fri Feb 16, 2007 8:44 pm

at MUC, I suppose it was stand 162, I deboarded the plane via jetway through L1 of the a/c. I thought "nice, we have gate position not a remote stand". After some seconds I saw that the jetway ends to a bus  Sad

you can see it here on a bad-quality picture
http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m262/stylooow/IMG_117.jpg

planesarecool

Fri Feb 16, 2007 9:49 pm

Boarding by bus, or at least by stairs is quite common at LGW these days. In the South terminal, there are 6 dedicated 'bus' gates. The North Terminal has a dedicated boarding area with space for quite a few buses, however this is much underused these days, since Pier 6 was built.

However boarding by stairs also happens when an aircraft is in the wrong place as to where it's supposed to boarded from. For example, if an easyJet flight to Europe was in Gate 9 or 10, it would have to be boarded via Gates 90-95 and passengers taken by bus to the aircraft, as Gate 9 and 10 are domestic stands. Similarly, when a Ryanair flight parks in the main pier (11-28), passengers must board via Gate 9 or 10 and get on a bus.

Gate 9 doesn't have a jetway, and Gate 10's is pretty much useless and rarely used, so these are both boarded via stairs. Stand 1 and 11 also require stairs. Stairs are also used on stands 13 and 31-36 when they are split into two stands, mainly during the Summer and at night.

stylo777

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:31 pm

in FRA it happens very often to me that we were bussed from B58/B59 (bus gate) to the aircraft which is standing at A38/A40/A42 (all gate positions). One time the pilot told me that this happens if for example the plane arrives from CDG which is a Schengen flight and continues to IST which is Non-Schengen.

jabar

Fri Feb 16, 2007 10:51 pm

CDG, in my opinion, is one of the worst in Europe and this is partly due to Terminal E closure, but not only... Unfortunately, almost all flights from North America are parked remotely so I always get the scenic tour of CDG. A bunch of us AF frequent flyers were wondering if we could ask AF for mileage for these bus trips...  Big grin

CDG still uses the "aerobus", although apparently less and less (it seems). I'm not sure at what rate they are phasing them out, if they are phasing them out at all.... They are kind of neat, I always like to look at peoples reaction who have never been on one when suddenly the thing starts to lower itself. But I've been stuck in one for over an hour, crammed in and overheated.... not pleasant.

I must admit that this trend, with the increase in air traffic, will probably not slow down, and will result in more time on these dreaded buses... and missed connections.

haggis79
Topic Author

Sat Feb 17, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 30):
at MUC, I suppose it was stand 162, I deboarded the plane via jetway through L1 of the a/c. I thought "nice, we have gate position not a remote stand". After some seconds I saw that the jetway ends to a bus  

yep, that's one of the specialties of MUC... never seen that anywhere else.... they actually were very proud of these when the airport first opened, I believe in 1992...

Quoting N1120A (Reply 24):
Priority. European airports save a lot of money by not building as many jetway gates and relying on hard stands.

ah, that makes sense, thanks.... might it also be a space issue? I guess in Europe land to expand the airport tends to be way more expensive than in the U.S....

andz

Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:05 am

Bus transport is pretty normal here, for anything from a Dash 8 to a 744 depending on where the plane is standing. JNB is undergoing major construction which will provide a lot more gates on the international side. Most of the apron is finished so the planes park at the gates but don't use the jetways yet. DUR has no jetways and at CPT they only have them at international so you can walk or ride the bus depending on the distance.

I flew AA 777 LHR-ORD a couple of years ago and we bussed to the plane at LHR for departure and arrival. RJs at FRA are also served by bus.

[Edited 2007-02-16 17:06:12]
After Monday and Tuesday even the calendar says WTF...

milan320

Sat Feb 17, 2007 6:57 am

In Europe, boarding by bus (plane on a remote stand) is all but unusual... at least for shorter/regional/charter flights or budget carriers... (in CDG for long-haul as well, but that's a special situation due to the collapse of 2E). I've never seen anything like it in the US, though... at best a short walk across the tarmac for RJ stands without a jetway. Any reason for that?

Strange you say it's unusal in Europe. I was in FRA maybe 5 times last year and every single time, it was the bus. Not once did we get a gate. And most of the fligths were with LH.
/Milan320
I accept bribes ... :-)

aces727

Sat Feb 17, 2007 10:04 am

The bus shown in the pictrue NWOrientDC10 is also used at MEX, and transfering from the International terminal at BOG to the domestic terminal is also by bus.

zippyjet

Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:08 pm

IAD still has them however, check them out now because soon they will be just another memory. IAD is building underground trains like ATL. And, I believe when IAD opened in 1962 it was the airport of the future and the loading busses actually went up to the jets. The original models were Chrysler vehicles. (back in the day when this company
built reliable products.)
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

Viscount724

Sun Feb 18, 2007 2:13 am

Quoting Milan320 (Reply 36):
I was in FRA maybe 5 times last year and every single time, it was the bus. Not once did we get a gate. And most of the fligths were with LH.

Agree, I have rarely used an actual gate with a jetway at FRA on narrowbody flights. And even many widebodies have to use remote stands and buses. As someone else mentioned, all RJ and commuter-type flights at MUC also use remote stands served by buses, and it has always seemd to be a very long distance to/from the terminal.

Use of buses is very common at many airports in Europe. All KL CityHopper flights (Fokker 50/70/100) at AMS use buses, as do other carriers operating small commuter types. The ramp area at AMS used by these flights must accommodate at least 50 aircraft up to about F100 size. Most flights using RJs and smaller at ZRH also use remote stands and buses. Most LX flights with Avro RJ85/100 use buses at ZRH although some use terminal gates/jetways. Fortunately, at ZRH the parking area for aircraft that use buses is quite close to the terminal.

At some airports, AMS in particular, I find flights that use buses convenient. Although there's an extra wait on arrival while passengers deplane before the buses can depart, with the smaller aircraft types involved that's not much of a problem. The big advantage at AMS is that you avoid what can often be a very long walk to/from some of the furthest piers/gates which is tedious even with moving sidewalks covering much of the distance. And on arrival the buses at AMS stop a fairly short walk from passport control/baggage claim.

On the other hand, one of the worst experiences involving buses is LHR T4 where many BA flights, both wide and narrow body, have to use buses to/from remote parking stands. The buses there are just ordinary standard-width buses that are very crowded and congested when full, and little room for carry-on bags. They don't use the special extra-wide vehicles common at many airports including AMS/ZRH/MUC/HAM etc, which are much more user-friendly. That's probably because the LHR buses have to be able to fit through the tunnel connecting the central area (T1/2/3) with T4. And having to climb the stairs from ground level all the way to the door of a 747 or 777 is not pleasant when you have heavy carry-on bags, and even less pleasant for elderly people or those with small children etc. Just one more thing that discourages me from making connections at LHR unless there's no other option. And if you have to change terminals it's even worse.

kdm

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:53 pm

On my last two flights from Heathrow to Singapore on SQ (in the last couple of months) we were bussed to the plane. Both times I was flying 1st class and it really did detract from the experiance.

HPLASOps

Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:00 pm

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 30):
at MUC, I suppose it was stand 162, I deboarded the plane via jetway through L1 of the a/c. I thought "nice, we have gate position not a remote stand". After some seconds I saw that the jetway ends to a bus

Looks very similiar to the setup at LAX on the west end of the airport - remote jetway that lead to a bus stop that drives in to the TBIT.

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 14):
I know at DCA alot of the RJ's are parked on a remote stand and buses take you to and from one of the gates.

True. I flew PHL-DCA on a DH8 that parked on a remote pad to the west of the terminal and we boarded a bus that brought us over to the C gates.

I also remember back in 94, I was on CO from LAS-IAH-LIT, and the IAH-LIT was on an ATR that required boarding a bus from a lower level gate just for the express flights, and driving out to the right a/c.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

N1120A

Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:03 pm

Quoting Haggis79 (Reply 34):
might it also be a space issue?

Partially perhaps, but not so much.

Quoting Haggis79 (Reply 34):
I guess in Europe land to expand the airport tends to be way more expensive than in the U.S....

I disagree here. In either case, the governments have broad powers to take property and set market values they pay for it. I think it is more a question of priority and construction costs. US airports tend to spend more on the outside of the terminal, while European ones tend to spend more on the inside.

Lite

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:34 pm

Some airlines specify that they want to use buses, or at least board the aircraft using stairs rather than using an airbridge. Often these airlines are low-cost airlines who, in order to reduce their turn around times, want to be able to deplane and board passengers using both the exits at the very front and rear of the aircraft, rather than just a forward exit attached to an airbridge. At some airports, especially larger ones, these types of stands are only accessible via a bus. At my airport where we have no airbridges, the low-cost airlines not only want stands where they can use both doors, but they prefer to have stands which are walk on/walk off stands, ie no need to use a bus to transport people to and from the terminal.
LCC Lover Lite

BMED

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:40 pm

When I've landed in EDI a couple of times with bmi regional we have parked on remote stands and got a bus back. Now the new pier is in operation at EDI instead of been dropped off at a gate there is an area where buses drop off the passengers. However, you still use a gate if you are departing on a flight thats on a remote stand and the bus is waiting at the bottom of the stairs.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

PA101

Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:44 pm

I'd say, it's a matter of space - since most European airports have to haul certain amounts of passengers through smaller terminals compared to US airports, where space is usually less of a problem, European airports are generally designed with s significant number of bus gates - especially in Germany (HAM, FRA) or CDG they are used quited often, even for longer and scheduled flights.

par13del

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:10 pm

As L1011 mentioned, AA Eagle in Miami uses buses, even for their RJ's. Previously, they had an outstation, where one bus would take you from the terminal, when your flight was called, another would take you to the a/c. The outstation is now gone, you are bussed directly to the a/c. This is for international flights as well as domestic. Does afford excellent spotting, passing all those AA jets, weather in the summertime becomes a pain though, as flights get backed up.

jsnww81

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:16 am

I think MIA is the only place I've boarded by bus in the US - in Europe I've done it at CDG, MAD, TXL, MXP and FCO. I've also boarded by Plane-Mate at MEX - give me a bus any day! The Plane-Mate was hot, crowded and took forever to load up. Then we drove across the MEX ramp at a crawl... the whole process took almost 45 minutes.

US airports do seem to have an awful lot of jetways. Plus, at most airports, airlines lease individual gates, which means that each airline will want a jetway regardless of how many flights they have. That's way some of our airports have tons of jetways that only get used a few times each day. Besides, we Americans seem to have lost the ability to climb a simple flight of stairs without tripping/falling and suing somebody... can you imagine how many lawsuits the airlines would see if we had bus/stair boarding here on a larger scale? At many international airports, it seems rather common (although not always the case) that US airlines get the jetways, since we apparently aren't capable of managing stairs.

Personally, I love boarding by bus. The bus ride across the apron at Madrid-Barajas was one of my most memorable aviation experiences. It was only a month before Iberia moved to the new Terminal 4, so the apron was packed, and we were passing huge A340s and A346s left and right.

N1120A

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:23 am

Quoting Jsnww81 (Reply 47):
can you imagine how many lawsuits the airlines would see if we had bus/stair boarding here on a larger scale?

Lets not interject un-informed, inflammatory and incorrect opinions here.

jsnww81

Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:30 am

Quoting N1120A (Reply 48):
Lets not interject un-informed, inflammatory and incorrect opinions here.

If you re-read my post you'll see the word "imagine"... let's not interject flameworthy language ourselves. Or did you fall down a flight of airstairs recently?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos