Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

CXfirst
Topic Author

Star Alliance Silver Status Lounges?

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:07 pm

I've been curious if there are any lounges that give access to Star Alliance silver status card holders. On wikipedia it mentions lounge access to gold and silver status card holders. However, I can't find anything about this on the Star Alliance site.

Is it true that there are lounges that give access to star alliance silver status card holders, if yes, where and with who?

-CXfirst

777ER
Head Moderator

RE: Star Alliance Silver Status Lounges?

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:28 pm

When you reach silver on NZ Airpoints, which I will reach after May, you are given a voucher to use at any NZ lounge around the world, I think it can also be used at other *A lounges
Head Forum Moderator
[email protected]
Flown: 1900D,S340,Q300,AT72-5/6,DC3,CR2/7,E145,E70/75/90,A319/20/21,A332/3,A359,A380,F100,B717,B733/4/8/9,B742/4,B752/3,B763,B772/3, B789
With: NZ,SJ,QF,JQ,EK,VA,AA,UA,DL,FL,AC,FJ,SQ,TG,PR

vega

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:30 pm

Never heard of it. If Silvers could use the member Lounges, there would be little room for anyone else. Here are the official benefits: http://www.staralliance.com/en/trave..._alliance_gold-silver_status.html.
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

xiaotung

Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:40 pm

Quoting 777ER (Reply 1):
When you reach silver on NZ Airpoints, which I will reach after May, you are given a voucher to use at any NZ lounge around the world, I think it can also be used at other *A lounges

With NZ Silver yes you are given a voucher but that only entitles you one entry into airport lounges NZ operetes out of. It can't be used with other *A flights.

SA7700

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:16 pm

South African Airways Voyager Silver, Gold, Platinum & Lifetime Platinum members all have complimentary access to SA operated domestic and international lounges when travelling on SA flights. Star Gold lounges only extend to Star Gold members.

Rgds

SA7700

[Edited 2007-02-18 08:34:33]
When you are doing stuff that nobody has done before, there is no manual – Kevin McCloud (Grand Designs)

CXfirst
Topic Author

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:19 pm

Wikipedia says:

Star Alliance Silver -

some carriers offer -

Airport lounge access

This is probably referring to NZ, but i was wondering if there were any others.

-CXfirst

Analog

Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:37 pm

Short answer: NO (excepting NZ as mentioned above).

Longer answer: You get a slight discount on club membership with some (most/all?) airlines when you're silver. With US the discount is $75 off (of $375 for US clubs and $595 for US + UA + Star).

Leskova

Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:18 pm

Quoting Analog (Reply 6):
Short answer: NO (excepting NZ as mentioned above).

Short answer: you're wrong.

LH also has lounge access for Silver members - I used it all the time when I had their FTL status, even when flying on economy tickets.
Smile - it confuses people!

bigvince76

Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:19 pm

BD also gives its silver members access to their own lounges as long as you are not on the cheapest "Tiny" fares, you can even bring a guest. Nice one BMI!

BMED

Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:21 pm

While on the subject of lounges can a member of the finnair FF lowest status use the BA lounge at EDI and Aer Lingus at DUB? When I entered my flight details on ba97.com it said I can visit the lounges but I'm not sure? Any help would be great
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

cjh2007

Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:32 pm

Silvers, in europe, can use all declerated star alliance business lounges. When flying LH or OS for example you could use the business lounge, but not the senator lounge.
Is it the kerosene, or is it just me...

star_world

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:32 pm

Longer answer: You get a slight discount on club membership with some (most/all?) airlines when you're silver. With US the discount is $75 off (of $375 for US clubs and $595 for US + UA + Star).

This also only applies to the US airlines - the practice of charging for lounge / "club" access is almost exclusively a US one, with a handful of exceptions (eg: QF).

With most other airlines, there is no way of buying club membership - you automatically get entry if you have an F / J ticket or have status with the airline.

N1120A

Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:52 pm

With US the discount is $75 off (of $375 for US clubs and $595 for US + UA + Star).

That is a ripoff considering that with United, you get UA + US + Star for the US club only price or less ($350 for a 1P, less for a 1K).

Quoting Star_world (Reply 11):
the practice of charging for lounge / "club" access is almost exclusively a US one

Previously, US airlines didn't charge either and based membership on status. They were actually forced to begin charging by law and then membership became a matter of a nominal yearly fee (think $30 or so) and status. United even offered lifetime membership that was less money than the yearly membership is now. Once they saw how much money they could make, the US carriers started pushing up the price.
Mangeons les French fries, mais surtout pratiquons avec fierte le French kiss

konrad

Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:17 am

Quoting Leskova (Reply 7):
LH also has lounge access for Silver members - I used it all the time when I had their FTL status, even when flying on economy tickets.

To be precise: Miles&More Silver (or Frequent Traveller - FTL) lounges are at all M&M airline hub airports - FRA, MUC, VIE, ZRH, WAW, and many smaller ones.

ManchesterMAN

Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:22 am

Quoting Bigvince76 (Reply 8):
BD also gives its silver members access to their own lounges as long as you are not on the cheapest "Tiny" fares, you can even bring a guest. Nice one BMI!

BD silver also used to get you into SAA lounges, although I'm not sure if this is the case??
Flown: A300,A319,A320,A321,A330,A340.A380,717,727,737,747,757,767,777,DC9,DC10,MD11,MD80,F100,F50,ERJ,E190,CRJ,BAe146,Da

Analog

Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:56 am

Short answer: you're wrong.

Quoting Bigvince76 (Reply 8):

I stand corrected.  banghead 

Quoting Cjh2007 (Reply 10):
Silvers, in europe, can use all declerated star alliance business lounges. When flying LH or OS for example you could use the business lounge, but not the senator lounge.

Is this really true? Can a US or UA silver do this?

HanginOut

Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:56 am

Air Canada allows its Star Silvers to use the Maple Leaf Lounges, but only if they pick the option of receiving 3 guest passes to the Maple Leaf lounges as part of the "Prestige" package for Aeroplan frequent flyers. They cannot use other Star Alliance airline lounges.

SwissA330

Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:33 pm

With my Miles&Mre Silver status i can use all M&M Business Lounges, however not any other *A Lounges (has to be Gold)
Same with Check-In, I get Special Check-In at all LX,LH,OS etc counters, however with the other carriers i have to go to the regular checkin with *A Silver Status.

Same is with my TP Victoria Silver Status. It is honoured in al TP Lounges, i can get into TP Lounges with TP Silver, however not into any other SA Lounges where i'd need TP gold as well.

BR, Pat
swissair/+/ we care

fbgdavidson

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:01 am

Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 14):
BD silver also used to get you into SAA lounges, although I'm not sure if this is the case??

And some Lufthansa lounges too.

Quoting BMED (Reply 9):
While on the subject of lounges can a member of the finnair FF lowest status use the BA lounge at EDI and Aer Lingus at DUB? When I entered my flight details on ba97.com it said I can visit the lounges but I'm not sure? Any help would be great

When you say lowest level do you mean the oneworld Ruby tier of Finnair Plus, or the very basic one? Entry levels on the majority of FFPs only allow members to collect miles. Benefits such as lounge access come in oneworld when you reach the respective Sapphire tier in your FFP, although I believe a small number of airlines give lounge access to their own Rubies.

As for the BA97.com calendar I helped create the website and a lot of the lounge entries in 2005 although they are edittable. It seems as though the EI Gold Circle lounge was configured with OW Rubies being allowed access which isn't correct and I've amended this. As for the other lounges you mention there is no listing of OW Ruby or Finnair Basic status having access to the lounges. If you could delete the flight you entered then re-enter it again seeing if you are offered lounge access. If you are drop me a PM and I'll get the Webmaster to look into the possible script errors.
"My first job was selling doors, door to door, that's a tough job innit" - Bill Bailey

cornish

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:05 am

Quoting SwissA330 (Reply 17):
With my Miles&Mre Silver status i can use all M&M Business Lounges, however not any other *A Lounges (has to be Gold)
Same with Check-In, I get Special Check-In at all LX,LH,OS etc counters, however with the other carriers i have to go to the regular checkin with *A Silver Status.

checkmark  Yep same for me. Until last summer you could take a guest in too, but that perk has gone now Sad

Quoting Fbgdavidson (Reply 18):
Quoting ManchesterMAN (Reply 14):

And some Lufthansa lounges too.

But LH silver won't get you in a BD lounge - at least not in BRU, much to my annoyance  grumpy 
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

Analog

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:25 am

So the verdict is that some airlines give their Silver members access to their own lounges (and perhaps a few partner lounges), but that *A requires Gold or some other club membership for OAL *A lounges.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/travellers/benefits/lounges.html

Exceptions to this include US/UA not allowing lounge access when travelling domestically (which seems to be defined as anywhere in the intersection of the Northern and Western hemispheres.) for UA/US gold, etc.

Correct?

Now I wonder how this works on SkyTeam, given the two levels of alliance status (Elite and Elite Plus). AFAIK most airline status goes from Silver & Gold to Elite and Plat. to Elite Plus. It would seem that the benefit of being Gold on SkyTeam is limited to your own airline.

Nimish

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:03 pm

Quoting Analog (Reply 20):
Now I wonder how this works on SkyTeam, given the two levels of alliance status (Elite and Elite Plus). AFAIK most airline status goes from Silver & Gold to Elite and Plat. to Elite Plus. It would seem that the benefit of being Gold on SkyTeam is limited to your own airline.

With Skyteam - you get full lounge access system wide the moment you get to Skyteam Gold (Elite). There are of course the usual caveats about no access to US lounges when flying domestically. Platinum elite gets you additional bonus points and other perks, but you have full lounge access at Gold.
Incredible India!

Analog

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:16 pm

Quoting Nimish (Reply 21):
With Skyteam - you get full lounge access system wide the moment you get to Skyteam Gold (Elite). There are of course the usual caveats about no access to US lounges when flying domestically. Platinum elite gets you additional bonus points and other perks, but you have full lounge access at Gold.

I think you need Elite Plus for lounge access, which equates to Platinum (highest tier) on most FF programs. I guess a lucky few get Elite Plus with Gold: http://skyteam.com/EN/benefits/skyteam_lounges.jsp

Quote:
SkyTeam Elite Plus* members, regardless of their travel class, also have access to most SkyTeam lounges as long as travel is in conjunction with a same-day international connection on a SkyTeam operated flight. In addition, SkyTeam Elite Plus members are allowed to invite a guest to join them in the lounge

cjh2007

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:50 pm

Quoting Analog (Reply 15):
Is this really true? Can a US or UA silver do this?

Yep, as far as i know...

CXfirst
Topic Author

Thu Mar 01, 2007 6:56 pm

So, if I fly with SQ from PER-FRA, then FRA-OSL on LH and have a TG silver status card, will I get into a lounge?

Thanks for all the replies, I thought this thread was long gone, but now it seems to be back Big grin

-CXfirst

cjh2007

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:05 pm

Quoting CXfirst (Reply 24):

So, if I fly with SQ from PER-FRA, then FRA-OSL on LH and have a TG silver status card, will I get into a lounge?

Thanks for all the replies, I thought this thread was long gone, but now it seems to be back Big grin

-CXfirst

Im pretty sure youll get into a lounge in FRA and OSL, not sure about the pacific/ asian regions, because from my experience the only status that counts there is gold...

cjh2007

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:08 pm

http://www.staralliance.com/en/travellers/benefits/lounges.html

here... even though this focuses on mostly gold access rather than silver...

agrflyer

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:30 pm

I am *Silver with SAS. I do not get acess to any lounge flying in Y-Class. But I am allowed to use the check in desks for C-class even I fly Y-class with LX or OS (which I do on a weekly basis)
July 2018, A3 C-Class ZRH-ATH-TLV-ATH-VIE
July 2018, OS C-Class VIE-ZRH
September 2018, ZRH-MXP-VIE-YYZ-LGA / JFK-VIE-ZRH on OS, LX and AC in Y and C

Lufthansa747

Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:58 pm

Absolutely not correct. Miles&Less FTLs can use the business lounges of LH and other M&L partners, no guests allowed.

Any North American Star Silver card won't open a single lounge for you.

Quoting Cjh2007 (Reply 25):
Im pretty sure youll get into a lounge in FRA and OSL, not sure about the pacific/ asian regions, because from my experience the only status that counts there is gold...

TG*S doesn't get lounge access anywhere, ever, period. It would be hilarious if it did, considering it takes 10K miles to reach. Silver check-in available at Don Muang has also been scrapped at Bangkok Suvarnabhumi.

Star lounges are very crowded already with very easy Gold status on many carriers - a walk in the park on TG/AC/UA/OZ etc.

[Edited 2007-03-01 12:01:29]
Air Asia Super Elite, Cebu Pacific Titanium

Nimish

Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:22 pm

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 28):
Miles&Less FTLs can use the business lounges of LH and other M&L partners, no guests allowed.

Any North American Star Silver card won't open a single lounge for you.

And that's probably due to the stringent conditions to reach silver on LH, you'd be well over gold on other carriers like AC/TG/UA etc.
Incredible India!

cjh2007

Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:23 pm

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 28):
Absolutely not correct. Miles&Less FTLs can use the business lounges of LH and other M&L partners, no guests allowed.

Thats what i meant... and said... while travelling in europe as a FTL you can use LH, and immediate M&M partner Business (silver status) lounges... oh, and 1 guest is welcome if travelling on any star alliance flight...

Lufthansa747

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:00 pm

Quoting Cjh2007 (Reply 30):
oh, and 1 guest is welcome if travelling on any star alliance flight...

No guests are allowed anymore. Miles&Less enhancement #7894.  Yeah sure

cjh2007

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:08 pm

Quoting Lufthansa747 (Reply 31):
No guests are allowed anymore. Miles&Less enhancement #7894.

Are you shi**ing me, since when?. I remember back in 2003 my dad was able to bring me and my mom into the lounge...

Lufthansa747

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:36 pm

Quoting Cjh2007 (Reply 32):
I remember back in 2003 my dad was able to bring me and my mom into the lounge...

That was Miles&More 2003. Welcome to 2007 and Miles&Less.

- Senator overdraft - gone
- Senator guaranteed seating in most Y booking classes - gone
- Executive bonus on Star Alliance - gone
- 1 year extension of SEN "maternity/paternity leave" - gone
- Taxes on intra-europe awards EUR 120+ - brilliant
- 100% miles in W/S longhaul - gone
- 1000 minimum within Europe - gone, but hey you get 125
- FTL guest access to lounges - gone

Brilliant program for those on F/C fares and who can make HON, but SEN/FTL/M&M in general has gone down the toilet.

cjh2007

Thu Mar 01, 2007 10:42 pm

Yeah, but really, how many people have HON status out there... God!... If everything goes well my dad will re-earn senator status by the summer... Still two upgrade vouchers in the package?

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos