Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

Baexecutive
Topic Author

BA Citiflyer

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:15 pm

I was reading in a magazine that BA are to resurrect the BA Cityflyer brand for flights out of LCY

Anyone have any further info?

Cheers

J

speedbirdegjj

RE: BA Citiflyer

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:28 pm

Thats about the long and short of it really.

The Cityflyer name is still registered to BA and is to be used to cover all ops ex LCY to differenciate those from the services operated by mainline from the other London airports.

The whole operation is headed up by some of the current BAConnect management.

EGBJ

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:36 pm

Am I right in thinking the BA 763 service to JFK from MAN will also operate under the "CitiFlyer" brand??

speedbirdegjj

Mon Feb 19, 2007 11:46 pm

Quoting EGBJ (Reply 2):
Am I right in thinking the BA 763 service to JFK from MAN will also operate under the "CitiFlyer" brand??

No this will be operated as a mainline service using LHR crews.

Also guys just to be picky, its Cityflyer not Citiflyer, the 'citi' was only used for BA Citiexpress.

[Edited 2007-02-19 15:48:09]

sam1987

Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:36 am

Quoting SpeedbirdEGJJ (Reply 3):
No this will be operated as a mainline service using LHR crews.

Will they fly up to MAN from LHR to operate the service or will they do LHR-JFK-MAN-JFK-LHR?
Next flights: LGW-LBA-LGW, LHR-SIN-SYD, SYD-BKK-LHR, LGW-GRO, GRO-CIA, CIA-MAD, MAD-LGW

speedbirdegjj

Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:51 am

Quoting Sam1987 (Reply 4):
Will they fly up to MAN from LHR to operate the service or will they do LHR-JFK-MAN-JFK-LHR?

Im not entirely sure on that one Sam. Certianly the flight deck crew passenger up to MAN, at present they are still using Manchester Cabin Crew, but this will end at the end of March. Perhaps a LHR crew member could clarify.

acefreighter

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:14 am

As there are no other BA 767 flights into JFK, I would have thought they would position up to operate.

vv701

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:31 am

Quoting AceFreighter (Reply 6):
As there are no other BA 767 flights into JFK, I would have thought they would position up to operate.

checkmark 
Most usually they position up (LHR-MAN) using shuttle flight BA1382 and position back using shuttle flight BA1387 although other flights - mainly BA1384 and BA1389 - are also used. So if you are on one of these flights there is a long odds chance of being allocated a Club World seat particularly if you're an Exec Club Member!

BA originally indicated that the LCY fleet of RJ100s - that is what is apparently going to be the new BA CityFlyer operation - would be based at EDI as there is hardly any apron space and no significant maintenance facilities at LCY. However I hear that in addition to the current five weekday EDI-LCY-EDI rotations that they currently operate they plan to operate (a similar frequency?) GLA-LCY-GLA service. If this is correct and as BA already have an engineering facility at GLA it would seem more logical to base the RJ100 fleet there.

BMED

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:25 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 7):
If this is correct and as BA already have an engineering facility at GLA it would seem more logical to base the RJ100 fleet there

I thought that this was where the A320 family engineering work was carried out?
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

hotelmode

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:19 am

Nobody knows the crew rotation yet but as the 767 does fly into EWR they may do LHR-EWR/JFK-MAN etc. Positioning 2 flight crew up every day doesnt take too many seats but 9 cabin crew does. The MAN-JFK aircraft doesnt position to LHR very often.

purplebox

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:25 am

Quoting VV701 (Reply 7):
BA originally indicated that the LCY fleet of RJ100s

Are these aircraft any different to the other RJ100s operated?

PurpleBox.
Next Flights:LHR-BOG,BOG-GYE,MDE-BOG-PTY,PTY-BOG-CTG,SMR-BOG-LHR - all on AV

BA787

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:28 am

Actually, part of the BA/flyBe deal is that the flyBe crews will operate the MAN-JFK services, AFAIK

BMED

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting BA787 (Reply 11):
Actually, part of the BA/flyBe deal is that the flyBe crews will operate the MAN-JFK services, AFAIK

On teh flybe new generation website I thought it said they wouldn't be. Seems odd for flybe to take over this operation! The aircraft isn't theirs and they will have to train crew to operate a random a/c type.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

Shamrock_747

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:45 am

BA have confirmed MAN-JFK will be operated by LHR (Worldwide Fleet) cabin crew. It is rumored they will work LHR-EWR-JFK-MAN-JFK-EWR-LHR, all on the 767.

vv701

Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:48 pm

Quoting PurpleBox (Reply 10):
Quoting VV701 (Reply 7):
BA originally indicated that the LCY fleet of RJ100s

Are these aircraft any different to the other RJ100s operated?

I do not think so except that I believe that each aircraft operating into LCY had to be certified for the unusually steep approach. (Perhaps someone else can confirm this.) Certainly when BA started to operate from LCY (30 March 2003) they established a small sub-fleet of five aircraft (G-CFAA, 'AB, 'AE, 'AF and 'AH) to operate (but not exclusively) out of LCY. Three of these aircraft subsequently went to LX and, of course, the number of aircraft required to operate the subsequently expanded services increased. From the end of next month all eleven remaining aircraft will operate the expanded BA LCY services.

Aisak

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:54 pm

You're kidding, right? Both FlyBE and BA have said cristal clear that RJ100s, LCY operations and MAN-JFK route are not part of the deal.

Will the sale include all of BA Connect aircraft, routes and staff?
No. We are not acquiring the London City routes and the associated RJ100 aircraft and staff – these will remain with BA. We are also not acquiring the MAN-JFK aircraft and associated staff.

Proposed sale of BA Connect to Flybe
BA Connect also operates from London City Airport and between Manchester and New York. These services will not form part of the proposed sale nor will the regional ground handling business, British Airways Regional Ltd.

It wouldn't make any sense. BA Connect brand and concept will be extinguished by March 25th (Incluiding those flights operated by GB Airways)

Humberside

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:08 am

Quoting Aisak (Reply 15):
(Incluiding those flights operated by GB Airways)

Are those flights just going to be operated as British Airways (again)
Visit the Air Humberside Website and Forum

PlymSpotter

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:29 am

Quoting Shamrock_747 (Reply 13):
BA have confirmed MAN-JFK will be operated by LHR (Worldwide Fleet) cabin crew. It is rumored they will work LHR-EWR-JFK-MAN-JFK-EWR-LHR, all on the 767.

The LHR-EWR flight is only 6 days a week though, so does this mean the EWR-MAN flight will not operate for 2 days a week, or will two crews go out and back on the flights either side of the day it doesn't operate. I take it the crews will be transferring by road, and that the aircraft is not going to be positioning EWR-JFK in that schedule? Otherwise they might as well consider doing LHR-MAN-EWR-MAN-LHR with it, after all, a morning LHR-MAN flight with the 763 would be useful for added connection traffic.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Aisak

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:38 am

Quoting Humberside (Reply 16):
Are those flights just going to be operated as British Airways (again)

From the BA FAQ:

Which flights are impacted by this change?
All flights within the ranges BA1600 to BA1999, BA4000 to BA4249, BA4320 to BA4449 and BA7600 to BA7949 are impacted by this change.

Please note that it is intended that all BA Connect operated services to and from London City Airport (BA8700 to BA8769), flights between Manchester and New York (BA1502/1503) and flights operated by British Airways are not impacted by this deal.

What about services operated by GB Airways from Manchester, Nottingham East Midlands and Bristol?
Services operated by GB Airways are unaffected by this announcement.

I find this information a little misleading. I read GB Airways planes, staff and routes currently operating under the BA Connect brand are not going to be transfered to FlyBE and I understand these are going to be rebranded as GB Airways regular flights. Bearing in mind that aircrafts, routes "and staff" belong to GB Airways and not BA Connect it makes sense, but other people can think otherwise...

Lite

Wed Feb 21, 2007 5:50 am

Quoting Aisak (Reply 18):
I find this information a little misleading. I read GB Airways planes, staff and routes currently operating under the BA Connect brand are not going to be transfered to FlyBE and I understand these are going to be rebranded as GB Airways regular flights. Bearing in mind that aircrafts, routes "and staff" belong to GB Airways and not BA Connect it makes sense, but other people can think otherwise...

My understanding is that as GB Airways have been unsure of their future with British Airways from the end of next year, the airline has been independently looking into a number of regional markets, though as a branding exercise has continued to use the British Airways brand, service, uniforms and marketing - rather than having a small, dedicated GB Airways branded fleet. It seems pretty obvious when you think why else would BA enter the East Midlands on a three times weekly flight to Tenerife? This is the kind of bread and butter leisure market for GB Airways, scheduled flights in charter markets, and think that these flights, maybe alongside the Manchester routes, could end up operating as GB Airways. The airline has just unveiled a new website, and certainly I've found comparing LHR-BCN with mainline and LHR-AGP with GB, to find the latter has superior service, so am sure could do very well independently.

Quoting SpeedbirdEGJJ (Reply 3):
Also guys just to be picky, its Cityflyer not Citiflyer, the 'citi' was only used for BA Citiexpress.

True, but everything else seems to point to CitiExpress. Same fleet, same management, potential same mistakes could be made, just another different brand and new base. I do wish every success to the crews who work for this new airline, and certainly BA Connect have had some of the best staff out of the midlands, but the management are totally inept, so am shocked BA didn't try launching this new subsidiary with a fresh fleet and focused management.
LCC Lover Lite

gkirk

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:31 am

Nope, MAN-JFK operated by mainline.

LCY BA Cityflyer ops by EDI based RJ100 crew
When you hear the noise of the Tartan Army Boys, we'll be coming down the road!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos