Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jetboy319
Topic Author

JetBlue Flight Crew Paid?

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:13 am

I did a search and didn't find anything on this subject. I apologize if it has previously been discussed. I am curious if all of the Flight Crew members (Pilots/Flight Attendants) got Trip-Pay Guarantee for lost flying due to the grounding of the E90s/Schedule reduction. I understand these work groups are not unionized, but I imagine if they were this wouldn't even be a question. The reason I wonder, is because these Crew Members, through no fault of their own, have potentially lost pay because of operational formalities well beyond their control. They deserve to be credited for their lost trips if they haven't been, and while B6 should focus on the disruption caused to PAX, they can't forget about their own employees either.

EWRCabincrew

RE: JetBlue Flight Crew Paid?

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:19 am

At CO, you would be be on reserve for the days you were scheduled. You would be used for a trip similar in hours and trip length (nothing more trip length wise (as in how many days)) to what your original trip was worth. If you are used for a trip and that trip is worth less, the value of the original trip is paid. If worth more, the greater would be paid.
You can't cure stupid

S5FA170

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:26 am

I lost 300 dollars Monday through Friday last week because of flight cancellations thanks to the weather. This includes multiple airport sits of 6-8 hours (during which i received no pay). So I doubt a union would guarentee they got paid for the lost flying. An airline can blame anything on the weather in an instance like this.

However, jetBlue does seem to be one of the very few airlines with any kind of semblance of a soul in them ... so perhaps they received something. I did hear the FAs were instructed to head to JFK and wait to be notified by scheduling, so that would be a reserve period - which they should receive some kind of compensation for.
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.

EWRCabincrew

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:36 am

Quoting S5FA170 (Reply 2):
So I doubt a union would guarentee they got paid for the lost flying.

Union, maybe not. Work rules, maybe not still. A contract, yes. We are guaranteed that. Just as I explained a bit ago.
You can't cure stupid

S5FA170

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:46 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 3):
A contract, yes. We are guaranteed that. Just as I explained a bit ago.

It all depends on what that contract says. Continental has had how many years to get what I assume is a pretty decent flight attendant contract. If jetBlue was on their first one, it would probably not be as inclusive or decent as yours is. My own airline is only on its second CBA and we have a long way to go (as I continue to find out every day).

ACFA

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:49 am

$300? Wow, that would be a crime up here. Under the Canadian Labour Code as long as you show up for work your employer has to at least pay you for 4 hours.

I've had my share of long duty days with very little pay, but your situation is somewhat extreme in my opinion.

S5FA170

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:53 am

Quoting ACFA (Reply 5):
Under the Canadian Labour Code as long as you show up for work your employer has to at least pay you for 4 hours.

Thats nice. Here in the states, flight crews fall under the Railway Labor Act and we pretty much have no government forced pay or break regulations whatsoever. My airline can work me for 12 hours and not give me a lunch break, in fact, they do. And my airline can tell me the flight cancelled because of maintenance or weather and not pay me for it, which they do. They can even sit me at gate E-2 in the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport for almost 9 hours without paying me a dime. Which they do.

Here I am living the dream. Stuck in the nightmare.

EWRCabincrew

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:59 am

Quoting S5FA170 (Reply 6):
my airline can tell me the flight cancelled because of maintenance or weather and not pay me for it, which they do.

That is why you fight for a contract. Look at what other airlines (even non-US) do for work rules (great place to ask crew members here what is done at their airline).

They can even sit me at gate E-2 in the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport for almost 9 hours without paying me a dime

You need to come to CO (or UA, AA, DL, etc..)

Which they do.

Which you let them get away with.
You can't cure stupid

S5FA170

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:01 am

I wasn't here to negotiate the first contract or even the second (I was hired right when our current contract, the second one, went into effect) but I will be here for the third and I will have something to say during the negotiations.

I can't work at UAL because they have a vision requirement for uncorrected vision. DL isn't hiring, and neither is AA that I can tell. Believe me, I would love to work for Delta. And if Continental didn't move my days off on reserve (I would be a commuter anywhere but my current airline) ... I would apply in a heartbeat. Continental runs a great airline. And I've read the book From Worst to First many times  Smile

WMUPilot

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:01 am

All flight attendants that worked 14th-18th will recieve Holiday pay plus any junior man pay which it pretty much anybody who worked. Holiday pay is double base rate pay and junior man pay is an extra $8. I made $420 yesterday alone, so I did come out on top, luckly. Unfortunatly many did not and I can only hope the company does something for everybody...but I have a feeling that won't happen.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

WNCrew

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:11 am

So I doubt a union would guarentee they got paid for the lost flying. An airline can blame anything on the weather in an instance like this.

At WN our contract dictates a LOT. We get pay guarantee for ANYTHING we were originally scheduled. If the doors are closed and we have pushed back from ANY gate...we're still getting paid...even sitting on the ground. Plus, anything OVER our scheduled block time is paid an additional premium. We are not paid on the ground prior to pushback, except for per diem which starts at check-in.
If our duty day exceeds 12hrs anything beyond 12 is paid X2 and if we go over 12.5hrs we get double time spent on duty OFF after we're released at base (ex: 14hr duty day...next day we get 28hrs off and if we had a trip they pull it and pay us for it OR we can work for time and half.) Duty over 16hrs is paid at X3. Short overnights are also compensated....among other things.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

ACFA

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:19 am

Ouch! I didn't realize conditions at Jetblue were as bad as described. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would accept those terms. Someone working at McDonalds would probably make more at the end of the month if you kept getting trips cancelled due to WX.

At least Jetblue should have the decency to send their crews home if they aren't going to be using them. Keeping you guys on airport standby with no pay is just immoral.

MCOflyer

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:31 am

Quoting ACFA (Reply 11):
Someone working at McDonalds would probably make more at the end of the month if you kept getting trips cancelled due to WX.

I work for 7-11 in Florida making $900 every month. I can tell you that if the info WMU pilot gave us is correct, then no, flight attendants would still make more than what I make per month and per year.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

IADLHR

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:32 am

How long can and do crews stay at the airport before being sent home if they are not going to be used? This whole saga just seems to get worse and worse and worse. Still ,it may be that we havent seen or heard the end of all the bad news yet.

[Edited 2007-02-20 03:35:19]

S5FA170

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:38 am

Quoting ACFA (Reply 11):
At least Jetblue should have the decency to send their crews home if they aren't going to be using them. Keeping you guys on airport standby with no pay is just immoral.

Just to clarify what I said, I do not work for jetBlue. From what WMU said ... sounds like the people working those days did get some sort of compensation. Thats good, at least.

ACFA

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:44 am

Well MCOFlyer, maybe I was exaggerating in some ways, but in some ways I was not. For example, flight attendants only get paid for the time they fly. If you fly long overseas trips, then that isnt a problem as they are quite productive, but if you fly many domestic legs with long sit times at the airport, then you are in fact spending certain hours at work with no pay. Also many jobs on the ground pay for overtime as well as premiums for working holidays. Flight crews (at my airline at least) recieve no such benefit, and I have yet to heard of any other airline crews that do.

I just dont understand why flight crews don't get paid for their duty time. For example, a buddy of mine just got a pilot job up north, and he makes $21/hr per flight hour, but taking into account all the unpaid work thats done on the ground, it evens out to more like $6/hr. Sad

RDUDDJI

Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:14 pm

Quoting S5FA170 (Reply 14):
Just to clarify what I said, I do not work for jetBlue. From what WMU said ... sounds like the people working those days did get some sort of compensation. Thats good, at least.

The employees at B6 get treated much better than their union friends at other airlines.

Unions are a business. They care about making money, just like airlines and business in general. They don't care about anything/anyone else.

At least at B6, your management can be straight with you and not have to worry about "union" implications when making an internal announement.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

EWRCabincrew

Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 16):
The employees at B6 get treated much better than their union friends at other airlines.

It's a toss up. I have had both ways and neither way is any better than the other. It is just in times like this, it helsp to have concrete rules.
You can't cure stupid

CO767FA

Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:29 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 12):
I work for 7-11 in Florida making $900 every month. I can tell you that if the info WMU pilot gave us is correct, then no, flight attendants would still make more than what I make per month and per year.

No disrespect intended, but your profile indicates the 16-20 age range. If you are 16, 17 or 18 and living under the roof of your parents, your livable wage needs are entirely different than many of the individuals the original comment was directed. Any newly hired F/A is barely taking home much more than that amount once taxes, insurance, passes and uniform costs are deducted.

Quoting RDUDDJI (Reply 16):
At least at B6, your management can be straight with you and not have to worry about "union" implications when making an internal announement.

This is a double edge sword. Many friends over at DL felt the same until management lost the "family" feeling. Every few months they were seeing pay reduced and expenses increasing. When you are trying to maintain a budget, that can get aggravating. A union might not be ideal, but it could possible end the uncertainty of wage and benefit losses.

RDUDDJI

Tue Feb 20, 2007 12:48 pm

Quoting CO767FA (Reply 18):
This is a double edge sword. Many friends over at DL felt the same until management lost the "family" feeling. Every few months they were seeing pay reduced and expenses increasing. When you are trying to maintain a budget, that can get aggravating. A union might not be ideal, but it could possible end the uncertainty of wage and benefit losses.

Appreciated, but this is where B6 has a chance to shine. Their employees have voted against unionization more than once... Hopefully the company can keep their negotiations open to just them and the employees. If not, well...we'll see.
Sometimes we don't realize the good times when we're in them

flyboy80

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:19 pm

However, jetBlue does seem to be one of the very few airlines with any kind of semblance of a soul in them ... so perhaps they received something. I did hear the FAs were instructed to head to JFK and wait to be notified by scheduling, so that would be a reserve period - which they should receive some kind of compensation for.

AH haha...Oh we think so alike!

Thats nice. Here in the states, flight crews fall under the Railway Labor Act and we pretty much have no government forced pay or break regulations whatsoever. My airline can work me for 12 hours and not give me a lunch break, in fact, they do. And my airline can tell me the flight cancelled because of maintenance or weather and not pay me for it, which they do. They can even sit me at gate E-2 in the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport for almost 9 hours without paying me a dime. Which they do.

Once again I love it, You know if its that bad I still have some connections at Mesa, I could get you a job! 10hr ready reserve days, 6on 2off reserve schedules, thats if the days are consecutive, 15.59/hr 1.20per diem. Eh what else, 2years to hold a line out of PHX! lol..kidding of course.

PITrules

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:45 pm

To answer the question, all JetBlue crew members are getting paid 'holiday pay' (double time) for all scheduled flights from the 14th - 18th, whether they were flown or not.

In other words, even if a crewmember didn't fly one leg of a trip during that time period, they are getting paid for the full trip times two, because of all the headaches crews put up with.

Most union contracts would pay protect crews from lost flying. Few, if any, give pay protection times two. In this case, I would say JetBlue crewmembers made out better than if they were unionized.
FLYi

IPFreely

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:53 pm

My airline can work me for 12 hours and not give me a lunch break, in fact, they do. And my airline can tell me the flight cancelled because of maintenance or weather and not pay me for it, which they do. They can even sit me at gate E-2 in the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport for almost 9 hours without paying me a dime. Which they do.

You think that's bad? I sat in the Roanoke airport last fall for nine hours, and not only did I not get paid a dime, I had to pay $700 for the privelege. Sorry but you will find very little sympathy among passengers for such things...

jetboy319
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:49 pm

Quoting PITrules (Reply 21):
To answer the question, all JetBlue crew members are getting paid 'holiday pay' (double time) for all scheduled flights from the 14th - 18th, whether they were flown or not.

In other words, even if a crewmember didn't fly one leg of a trip during that time period, they are getting paid for the full trip times two, because of all the headaches crews put up with.

Most union contracts would pay protect crews from lost flying. Few, if any, give pay protection times two. In this case, I would say JetBlue crewmembers made out better than if they were unionized.

Thanks for the info PITrules. Double time for all scheduled flights is indeed a good deal, and well deserved. It does make me wonder though how deep B6's pockets are. They have no doubt refunded many, many tickets, lost revenue from many, many cancelled flights, then add charter a/c in to the mix and this fiasco has had to truly put a significant dent in the bank account. I know we can go on and on about the whys and who is to blame but in my opinion, what's more important is the fact the thousands of employee lively hoods are tied to this company and what would be even more catastrophic than this past weeks meltdown would be the collapse of this company and the many people that would be affected. Props to all the fine folks at B6, especially the front-line employees who had limited resources to deal with a situation well beyond their control. I wish you guys all the best!
Cheers!

ACFA

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:07 pm

Maybe, but in this case its relying on the goodwill of the company; there are no guarantees as with a contract.

ACFA

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:07 pm

Good to know they got paid though  Smile

ACFA

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:10 pm

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 22):
You think that's bad? I sat in the Roanoke airport last fall for nine hours, and not only did I not get paid a dime, I had to pay $700 for the privelege. Sorry but you will find very little sympathy among passengers for such things...

If you are making a comparison from a passenger standpoint I find that very unreasonable. You are there for different reasons than working employees. If you are treated unfairly you should request compensation, and if the issue isn't resolved to your satisfaction, then don't fly with that airline next time and they lose a customer. But the employees are there to make a living; a more reasonable comparison would be your conditions at your place of employement.

iairallie

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:13 pm

My airline can work me for 12 hours and not give me a lunch break, in fact, they do. And my airline can tell me the flight cancelled because of maintenance or weather and not pay me for it, which they do. They can even sit me at gate E-2 in the Minneapolis/St. Paul International Airport for almost 9 hours without paying me a dime. Which they do.

So you'd be cool with it if you were physically required to be at work and were not paid for it?
Enough about flying lets talk about me!

jetboy319
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:45 pm

There are plenty of forums dedicated to passenger experiences. Please save your comments for those forums. The intent of my question was aimed at the actual Crew Members, and your response has nothing to do with my original question. While you are entitled to your opinion, and I respect it, you should also show the same courtesy and respect the topic being discussed. Thanks!  Wink

Steve332

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:24 pm

Quoting ACFA (Reply 5):
Under the Canadian Labour Code as long as you show up for work your employer has to at least pay you for 4 hours.

Wow didnt know that, I lived in Vancouver in 05 and because I worked on one of the marinas I lost a good few days due to weather and never got paid  banghead 

scouseflyer

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:31 pm

Quoting ACFA (Reply 15):
I just dont understand why flight crews don't get paid for their duty time.

Cos the airlines can get away with it!

Here in the UK we have labour laws that everyone moans about but it does sound like they wouldn't be allowed to make you show up for work and then not pay you until the plane took off - any FR or U2 cabin crew on here to confirm or deny that?

travatl

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:14 pm

At AirTran, before our union and contract, we got nothing for cancellations. Now, we get pay protected for ALL recrews, reassignments, and cancellatioins (regardless of reason). Like CO, we too can be reassigned during cancellations, with pay protection of the greater trip worth.
1 Interview. 24 years. 3 Airlines.

WMUPilot

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:39 pm

We are pay protected for a cancelled flight. If we get used on another flight we will get paid the based on the trip with the greater value
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

jetblueatjfk

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:34 am

Quoting ACFA (Reply 11):

From the descriptions of the other airlines pay structure it looks here that B6 crewmembers got off better than the other airline employees would. I'm glad that B6 gave the crewmembers pay and didn't just say oh well it was weather, that would've sparked union talks again.

B6jfk airplane 

EWRCabincrew

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:41 am

In this case, I would say JetBlue crewmembers made out better than if they were unionized.

Unfortunately this case follows a highly publicised debacle for jetBlue. That is why the company is giving crew "holiday pay", I am sure. Had it been a different situation, maybe not so.

This post isn't about unionising, but getting more set rules in stone from the company for you. The time is now to make sure you are duly taken care of, so this doesn't happen again.
You can't cure stupid

oznznut

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:18 am

This is probably the stupidest thing many of you have heard. But, here goes. What would be the ramifications of changing flight crew pay away from hourly to a fixed monthly salary? Your pay is. lets say, $3,000 per month. You get that regardless if the plane is in the air, or in the hangar. Hours on duty would be still controlled by FARs. Of course, some method of figuring/paying extra hours would be needed. But maybe not, once a crew member has gone over his/her hours for the month, they can't fly again, can they?
Don't flame me too bad.
Dave

PITrules

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 34):
This post isn't about unionising, but getting more set rules in stone from the company for you

The company already has pay protection in place. If you are implying a union contract is set in stone, I can assure you the results of a typical grievance process of a union contract dispute are hardly a guarantee.

The time is now to make sure you are duly taken care of, so this doesn't happen again.

So that what doesn't happen again? Getting paid double time for cancelled flights? I'll prefer our current system.
FLYi

EWRCabincrew

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:44 am

Quoting PITrules (Reply 36):
The company already has pay protection in place

I go by what others have posted and by that, it seems that there is not a lot of pay protection. I have only here to go by. Don't shoot the messenger.

If you are implying a union contract is set in stone, I can assure you the results of a typical grievance process of a union contract dispute are hardly a guarantee.

Not at all. What I am trying to say is that work rules can change at a given notice. You are at the mercy of jetBlue management and taking their word they won't change. Like I posted before, based on what others posted:

Unfortunately this case follows a highly publicised debacle for jetBlue. That is why the company is giving crew "holiday pay", I am sure. Had it been a different situation, maybe not so.

So that what doesn't happen again?

What just happened, happening again. (Crews being lost, unable to get in touch, not getting paid when on duty (based on what others wrote here)) I think I may be misunderstood here.
You can't cure stupid

propilotjw

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:50 am

Quoting Jetboy319 (Reply 23):
I know we can go on and on about the whys and who is to blame but in my opinion, what's more important is the fact the thousands of employee lively hoods are tied to this company and what would be even more catastrophic than this past weeks meltdown would be the collapse of this company and the many people that would be affected. Props to all the fine folks at B6, especially the front-line employees who had limited resources to deal with a situation well beyond their control. I wish you guys all the best!
Cheers!

I thank you for the very kind words!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos