Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

airbrasil
Topic Author

LAS Chaos Today!

Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:45 pm

Hello everyone,

With the end of the NBA games the airport woke up with the biggedt lines that I have seen in 8 years... All lines for cars and cabs were bumper to bumper and the Southwest ticket counter line was outside the building passing thru all airlines all the way to terminal 2 where we have international airlines.. There were police everywhere as well as many fights.. Some passengers said that they were in line for over 5 hours.. America West also had their share, their lines were very long as well and it was nearly impossible to walk in the terminal. I have never seen this airport ike that, not even on xmas, New Years or Memorial weekend.. Anyone from Southwest here that can share why such long lines? I am sure they had lots of extra segments since normally southwest does have long lines but they run very quick..

Airbrasil

HPLASOps

RE: LAS Chaos Today!

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:45 pm

LAS had a ground delay program for most of the day. Many of the flights departing between 1100 and 1600 were taking almost an hour from gate to wheels up. The inbound flights were on ATC holds at their originating airports. That causes many misconnections (both people missing their flights here and people going on to OAL at destination airports) which means tons of extra people at the ticket counter. Load factors are in the high 90s today with the completion of the All Star Game (some had estimates of 200,000 people coming into town for it). Just turned out to be the wrong weekend for Vegas to get a day of rain (we only get about 8 of those a year).
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

siromega

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:51 pm

NBA All Star Game - at least 100,000 people
MAGIC trade show (Mens Apparel) - 115,000 people
Three day weekend (which are just normally busy anyways)
Inclemant weather (IFR - at least thats what I heard when I listening to ATC)

Equal the busiest day at LAS ever.

HPLASOps

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:51 pm

Quoting Airbrasil (Thread starter):
the Southwest ticket counter line was outside the building passing thru all airlines all the way to terminal 2 where we have international airlines..

That's puffery, BTW. Considering WN's ticket counter is the furthest south of T1 and T2 is north of T1, I find it hard to believe that people waiting infront of T2 were just for WN. I'm sure every airline's ticket counter lines were extending out the door, making it seem like the line was longer. I guarantee you they don't have enough originating pax each day to line up from their ticket counter to T2.

Some passengers said that they were in line for over 5 hours

Possible exaggeration. I arrived at the airport at 1620 today, and with what I could tell from the lines, the max wait for any ticket counter line was no more than 1 1/2 hours. Perhaps they had been waiting at the airport for 5 hours for their flight due to the ATC delays, but they were not in line for 5 hours - they're just trying to extract a little sympathy.
"Just because I know how to get off a freeway doesn't mean I know how to get back on!" - Retard Joe

siromega

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:53 pm

They showed people on the news who stated they were in line for 3-4 hours. Which isnt that surprising given how busy it was.

IPFreely

Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:58 pm

Timing is everything in LAS. Try to leave afternoon on Jan 1, the Monday after the Super Bowl, the morning after a major trade show, or at the end of a 3 day weekend and you can easily see security lines of 2-3 hours or more (I learned my lesson on my first trip). Leave on a Wednesday at 8am or a Friday afternoon when tourists are all arriving, and you might easily get from the ticket counter thru security to the gate in 15 minutes or less.

siromega

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:19 pm

Quoting IPFreely (Reply 5):
Leave on a Wednesday at 8am or a Friday afternoon when tourists are all arriving, and you might easily get from the ticket counter thru security to the gate in 15 minutes or less.

Thats easy for locals, but most tourists dont usually try that. They're usually tryin to get back to their home so they can have at least one decent night of sleep this weekend.

Me, I usually try to get flights out at 630-7a and be at the security checkpoint by 530 or so, I'm at the gate by 6 (even after the tram ride to the D gates) and the checkpoint only takes 10 minutes or so (and I ususally have no bags to check).

crownvic

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:28 pm

In order to facilitate a better flow of traffic on the massive outbound flows today, it appeared the airport actually reduced operations on the main r/w (25R) so that they could double up on departures on 19L & 19R with arrivals on the ILS for 25L. The thought was that less intersecting traffic would speed the flow. While the theory was good, there were still periods of cues for nearly 50 a/c lined up for t/o. Made me feel right at home like being back in PHL!

102IAHexpress

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:33 pm

Las Vegas was very crowded this weekend. There were long lines everywhere. On Saturday night I waited about 50 minutes in line to get a cab in front of the MGM grand. What's the word on extending the monorail to LAS?

HPLASOps

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:36 pm

Quoting Crownvic (Reply 7):
In order to facilitate a better flow of traffic on the massive outbound flows today, it appeared the airport actually reduced operations on the main r/w (25R) so that they could double up on departures on 19L & 19R with arrivals on the ILS for 25L. The thought was that less intersecting traffic would speed the flow.

That doesn't make much sense. There weren't really any extra flights today, it's just that all the flights were full. Using 19 and 25 for a/c movements is always the ideal traffic pattern in neutral weather conditions. Now, when the conditions go to crap like they did today, and the airport has to use the 1's for arrival/departures and only 25L for arrivals, the AAR and Departure rate go way down. 1L and 1R are only used when the weather/winds force the airport into the use.

crownvic

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:36 pm

The monorail extension to the airport has been approved, but actual construction start date has not been set yet.

siromega

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:37 pm

Monorail to LAS in 2011 to terminals 1 and 3 (T3 will open in 2011 too). That assumes they can find the 500M to fund it. I think it might actually help the rider numbers to at least a break-even level.

http://www.lvmonorail.com/about/expansion/

brons2

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:40 pm

Maybe if people went to Southwest.com and printed off their boarding passes beforehand, they wouldn't have to wait so long in lines!  Big grin
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

siromega

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:43 pm

From where exactly? Most the people are tourists and dont have a computer + printer available to them while they're on vacation. Its why there are speed check kiosks at the airport.

crownvic

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:43 pm

HPLASOps...I disagree...The biggest delay when traffic begins to back up on 25R departures is mostly caused by flow restrictions due to activity on the N/S parallels. With the massive amount of biz jet activity that was leaving today, the plan made perfect sense. You did not have the normal balance of inbounds vs. outbounds that you normally would. The real mess occurred when the weather deteriorated and the winds shifted to the NW causing the 19 operation to have to be switched back to the "1's".

deltairlines

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:46 pm

Quoting Brons2 (Reply 12):
Maybe if people went to Southwest.com and printed off their boarding passes beforehand, they wouldn't have to wait so long in lines!

Not exactly the easiest thing to do if you're in town on vacation and are heading home...between internet costs at some hotels, plus the general lack of accessability to a printer, makes it quite hard. Same holds true for MCO - not a whole lot of OLCI being done there in my (3-4 times a year) experiences.

HPLASOps

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:53 pm

Quoting Crownvic (Reply 14):
You did not have the normal balance of inbounds vs. outbounds that you normally would.

Perhaps with private jets over on the west end, but as far as the big planes go, the flight schedule (at least for us) was the same as it is for every Monday. And splitting departures between 25R and 19L is normal procedure, weather permitting. ATC doesn't care how full the planes are, just how many there are.

airbrasil
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:58 pm

Any Southwest people here??? Guys I work in the oter side of the termnal where Champion, Air Tran and Alaska is.. I dont know where HPLASOps was but since I got there t 9am until at least 3pm we had a line from southwest passengers crowded on the street a the way to T2... It was huge.. Remineded me of LAX in the morning summer months in which T1 lines would pass T2 (NZ, NW) .. Just watch the news tonight...

siromega

Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:59 pm

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 15):
Same holds true for MCO - not a whole lot of OLCI being done there in my (3-4 times a year) experiences.

Indeed, at least at MCO you can get your bags checked and boarding passes at your Disney hotel instead of at the airport. Only now is LAS starting that service from a few select hotels (I believe Luxor and Venetian are the two hotels that make that service available now). Plus there are lots of other restrictions like the time the flight is leaving, the time the counter is open, $20 per pax, etc.

brons2

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:10 pm

Quoting SirOmega (Reply 13):
From where exactly? Most the people are tourists and dont have a computer + printer available to them while they're on vacation. Its why there are speed check kiosks at the airport.

Try your hotel's business office.

I once printed out a WN boarding pass from the LHR Hilton's business office Big grin
(and you thought WN didn't fly international...hah. Actually j/k, flew BA LHR-BWI and WN BWI-AUS)
Firings, if well done, are good for employee morale.

jc2354

Tue Feb 20, 2007 5:08 pm

I don't think the link will post, but you can go to lasvegasnow.com and click on the "McCarran Airport Experiences Worst Travel Day". It makes many references to lines over a mile long, and stretching to Terminal2. Channel 13 had video showing lines PAST the international terminal, but couldn't find the video on their website. Yes, it was a mess
If not now, then when?

necigrad

Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:06 pm

Maybe if all the fat cats would use VGT things might have been better. But the bottom line is there was an insane amount of people, an insane amount of traffic, and 4 runways. Do the math.

HPLASOps

Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:14 pm

Quoting Necigrad (Reply 21):
Maybe if all the fat cats would use VGT things might have been better.

If they have the money to afford their own private jets, they can afford the fees LAS charges. Which means that if LAS is more convenient to the Convention Center, Thomas & Mack Center, and most of the Strip (and it is), the "fat cats" will be using LAS. VGT is only more convient to downtown Vegas, and that's only slightly more convenient. From what I understand, VGT gets it's fair share of traffic, hardly underutilized.

Quoting Necigrad (Reply 21):
But the bottom line is there was an insane amount of people, an insane amount of traffic, and 4 runways.

Last time I checked, LHR has an insane amount of people, and an insane amount of traffic, and only 2 runways, and they manage it daily. LAX was able to cope on only 3 runways for about 6 months. This point is irrelevant.

flyboy7974

Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:56 pm

For those dumb enough to try to travel on this day, I have no pity, only laughter in your face for trying to be so dumb to travel on the day after the game and convention as mentioned. The same people that try to travel on these days are the same that then complain how they waited, and how long the lines are and how mistreated they are. These are the people that the other half of the world in the industry laugh at, comparable, like somebody complaining about huge crowds in Times Square on New Years Eve, yeah, uh duh, are you that stupid? For those that travel Southwest, no pity at all because in the "SWA effect" this is also an after effect of what they have done to the airline industry, overcrowded airspace and huge lines and wait times. If you don't want to wait, then dont book SWA and then the others of us dont have to hear you complain afterwards, but, you book a fare a year out that cost $19 and thus, you get what you paid for.

As for what HPLASOps also mentioned, most of the day LAS was under a flow control and ground delay program. I can already see this one coming, the same people now that booked SWA a year ago writing letters and complainin on how mistreated they were because they had to "stand," not sit, in a line that took 4 hours, shut up!!! Book another airline then, and the weather like LAS had is never planned and you didn't like standing in lines for that long, those arriving into Vegas didn't like holding for that long either, and not meaning 4 hours, but still, the weather was not airline friendly and when the weather hits, its airlines like SWA that have saturated the airport systems to a point that ground holds and in flight delays are caused. All day, other airlines probably did what they could to try to alleviate some of the flow of traffic, I know that friends at HP were trying to condense LAS ops out of PHX into B757 flights to eliminate a/c into LAS, but, SWA can't do that since they fly one a/c. On another post here, JetBlue after their whole system fall apart last week chartered B757 from other companies to transport pax and eliminate airport and airline ops, SWA never does this. As great for the paying pax SWA might be, how horrible for the air traffic control system they really are.

Crownvic - and although yes a lot of corporate traffic departing the field might be, you are incorrect that this caused or would add any further to what was the FAA delays already. It was simply weather as HPLASOps mentioned. I compared on flightaware today's ops to last Sundays ops, and not much more corporate traffic even with the holiday and convention and tournament. And if I am correct, specifically to alleviate traffic flow between the two runway systems, I don't think they intersect and that was solely for the reason to offer the option of multiple runway operations. The system that hit the southwest U.S. wasn't what was weather planners thought it would be, because here in northern AZ while they called for light drizzle, we ended up with snow showers from midday on and at about midnight, had more then a few inches of snow on the ground, so, the system was a little bit colder and stronger then originally planned

airbrasil
Topic Author

Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:53 pm

Thank you flyboy, I agree.. Southwest is very nice airline and cheap, dont complain about them.. if you are so agry that you aited for so long, book on other airlines...

necigrad

Tue Feb 20, 2007 8:57 pm

Quoting Flyboy7974 (Reply 23):
And if I am correct, specifically to alleviate traffic flow between the two runway systems, I don't think they intersect and that was solely for the reason to offer the option of multiple runway operations.

They do intersect. In NORMAL ops, 19L/R is used for GA aircraft. 19L/R intersects with 25R. 25R is used for airline traffic departing, and arrivals are on 25L. It's not uncommon however to see the airlines use 19L/R as well. I assume this works because there's less of a seperation issue with diverging headings, leaving only the issue of staggering the departures on 25R and 19L.

HPLASOps

Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:07 pm

Quoting Necigrad (Reply 25):
19L/R is used for GA aircraft.

I don't even think the GA use 19L. I think all the GA that park west of the runways use 1L/19R only, so they don't have to cross any runways and that helps keep them out of the way of the big planes.

siromega

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:35 pm

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 26):
I don't even think the GA use 19L. I think all the GA that park west of the runways use 1L/19R only, so they don't have to cross any runways and that helps keep them out of the way of the big planes.

This is correct, usually GA uses 1L/19R.

IADLHR

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:53 pm

learned my lesson on my first trip). Leave on a Wednesday at 8am or a Friday afternoon when tourists are all arriving, and you might easily get from the ticket counter thru security to the gate in 15 minutes or less.

That is exactly what I do as most times my schedule is flexible.

I am not at all surprised to hear of this. I made a day trip on Sat LAX-LAS-LAX I was afraid of possible long lines at the the cab line Sat AM when I arrived, no line at all. Thought for sure leaving LAS Sat night there would be no lines at LAS. I was surprised, they werent long lines but there were more people flying out than I thought there would be considering all that was going on.

However, as the day unfolded on the strip and as more and more people crowded it and the hotels I was ecstatic I was not gpoing to have to deal with the long, long lines on Monday.

adizzy

Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:27 pm

When i flew HP to LAS for Columbus Day weekend last year......It was a thursday night......it took 2 hours for hours bags to make it to the belt to be picked up! After that it took a good 2-3 hours to catch a cab! In all the time it took me to get my bags and get to the hotel was more or less equal to the amount of time it took to fly from BOS-LAS that evening!

masseybrown

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:29 am

Quoting DeltAirlines (Reply 15):
Not exactly the easiest thing to do if you're in town on vacation and are heading home...between internet costs at some hotels, plus the general lack of accessability to a printer, makes it quite hard.

A self-service terminal and printer for boarding passes have been available near the reception desk in the last three hotels I've used (Cleveland, New York, and San Diego). They are very common in hotels that cater to business people - I don't know about vacation spots.

IADLHR

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:56 am

Quoting MasseyBrown (Reply 30):
A self-service terminal and printer for boarding passes have been available near the reception desk in the last three hotels I've used (Cleveland, New York, and San Diego). They are very common in hotels that cater to business people - I don't know about vacation spots.

They are also in many of the major hoels in Vegas. I have printed mine at the Hilton, not a problem

iowaman

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:36 am

Massive lines at McCarran leave travelers frustrated

By BENJAMIN SPILLMAN
REVIEW-JOURNAL
From left, Dan Flaherty, in yellow cap, Dan Flaherty Jr., 9, and Lynn Flaherty cover up from the rain with plastic bags Monday as they wait in line at McCarran International Airport to check in for their Southwest Airlines flight to Rhode Island. The family was among thousands stuck in a line stretching out the door from Southwest ticket counters in Terminal One, down the road and beyond the International Terminal.
Photos by John Gurzinski.

When Lynn Flaherty and her family packed to head home Monday from Las Vegas, they might have expected a complimentary in-flight pillow or a bag of peanuts.

Instead they wound up in a line more than three hours long outside McCarran International Airport and were handed plastic bags to protect themselves from the rain.

"We've never had a problem like this," said Flaherty, 39, of Providence, R.I.

She was returning from a trip to watch the NBA All-Star Game with Dan Flaherty, 53, and son Dan Jr., 9.

All three wore Clark County-issued garbage bags as ponchos for protection from the wind and rain.

"If there was another All-Star Game (in Las Vegas), I'd think twice about (going)," Dan Flaherty said.

The family was among thousands stuck in a line stretching out the door from Southwest Airlines ticket counters in Terminal One, down the road and beyond the International Terminal.

Even people who arrived at the airport two hours before their departure time were in danger of missing their flights.

"We have seen long lines but not long lines like this in a while," said Elaine Sanchez, public affairs and marketing manager for the airport.

The All-Star Weekend marked the first time regular visitor Leah Butler of Los Angeles flew to Las Vegas instead of driving.

Never again, said Butler, who arrived at 11:15 a.m. for a 2:35 p.m. flight and was still outside waiting minutes before the scheduled departure.

"This is terrible," Butler said repeatedly from her spot in the line that stretched about three-quarters of a mile at its longest. "They should have anticipated this."

Airport officials estimated there were as many as 2,000 people in line outside at any given time Monday afternoon waiting to check bags for Southwest flights.

Rosemary Vassiliadis, deputy director of the Clark County Department of Aviation, said about 60,000 passengers depart daily from McCarran. About 30 percent are on Southwest.

Many of the passengers were carrying several bags, which makes the check-in procedure longer. Also, passengers who missed flights early in the day were redirected back to ticket counters, making the lines even longer for people arriving for later departures, Vassiliadis said.

And passengers getting to the airport were also calling fellow travelers to alert them to the lines, prompting even more people to come to the airport several hours before their departures, she said.

"That exacerbates the problem," Vassiliadis said.

Southwest Airlines spokeswoman Brandy King said there was no specific reason for the backlog other than a lot of people were trying to leave Las Vegas at the same time.

In addition to the NBA All-Star Game on Sunday, many others were in Southern Nevada to take advantage of the three-day Presidents Day weekend, celebrate Chinese New Year or linger after the MAGIC clothing convention that ended Friday and attracted more than 100,000 attendees.

King said the lines started building early and just kept growing as workers tried to keep up with the flow of incoming checked baggage.

"If the lines get slowed down in the morning, then that trickles down through the day," King said.

She said Southwest, the largest carrier at McCarran with about 225 flights departing daily, was fully staffed at its ticket counters and brought in extra skycaps to help process traffic. But, clearly, it wasn't enough.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/lvrj_ho...Feb-20-Tue-2007/news/12695348.html

tockeyhockey

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:25 am

When will Las Vegas be getting a new airport all together?

siromega

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:56 am

LAS wont get a reliever airport until 2017-2020 (IVP - Ivanpah, about 45 minutes south of the LV strip). The next thing that will help LAS is terminal 3 in 2011, since it will have support (ticketing, baggage claim, etc) for the new 13-15 T3 gates and part of the D concourse of Terminal 1 (D will have about 44 gates when the final wing is built, how many will T3 support is unknown). The idea is to free up landside resources for the A/B/C concourse in T1.

For monday's mess, it would mean southwest could have more counter space and more staff to be able to handle the lines quicker. Not that it would solve everything, but it would help...

necigrad

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:09 am

T3 is only supposed to have something like 12 gates I believe. It was a suprisingly small number, but I'm not certain exactly. Eventually (unless this has changed over the past 5 years) the Ivonapah airport is supposed to take ALL LAS freight traffic, and possibly all the freight traffic in the southwest. And then (and I'm suspicious of this psrt) once the mag lev train is built (if it is) ALL international flights go there as well, not to McCarran, and T2 will be a domestic terminal. This is all 5 years old though, and may have since changed.

And yeah, was my bad. GA only use 19R/1L. Was more tired then I thought I guess.

B777ER

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:26 am

Leave on a Wednesday at 8am or a Friday afternoon when tourists are all arriving, and you might easily get from the ticket counter thru security to the gate in 15 minutes or less.

Or fly F class and use the F class security line..no waiting!

MCOflyer

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:41 am

Quoting B777ER (Reply 36):

Or fly F class and use the F class security line..no waiting!

Some people cant afford it. WN doesnt have F class.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

LASoctoberB6

Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:19 am

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 3):
Possible exaggeration. I arrived at the airport at 1620 today, and with what I could tell from the lines, the max wait for any ticket counter line was no more than 1 1/2 hours. Perhaps they had been waiting at the airport for 5 hours for their flight due to the ATC delays, but they were not in line for 5 hours - they're just trying to extract a little sympathy.

my cousin actually managed to make a 8:30a flight on F9 to DEN (N939FR) and got thru the security within 20min. HP and WN were packed, it was only 6:30a and the traffic jam was due to WN having many pax in the street and the counter was even worse......i went to park on Sunset Ave, and the traffic seemed to be fine for the two hours i waited to see my cousin leave. only the occasional two planes would get held back to let the 19R/L traffic go....

Quoting 102IAHexpress (Reply 8):
What's the word on extending the monorail to LAS?

that wont be happenin fer a while....

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 22):

its so nice havin someone on a.net that lives in LAS other than me....
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

GARUDAROD

Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:43 am

The article in the R-J was next to one about the Melt down at Jet Blue. That article mentioned that
JB chartered aircraft to operate their flights to LAS. Who did they charter from? How many flights
were operated by the charter??
Cargo doesn't whine, moan, or complain

siromega

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:06 am

Quoting Necigrad (Reply 35):
T3 is only supposed to have something like 12 gates I believe. It was a suprisingly small number, but I'm not certain exactly.

http://www.mccarran.com/pdf/Ivanpah%...on%20and%20Justification%20(2).pdf

Page 57 shows 14 aircraft parked in front of the T3 building. I dont know if thats a workable gate configuration, but given that the document shows an optimal gate count of 109-119, 12 gates would bring the total to 115.

ordryan28

Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:09 am

LAS Chaos Today!

Welcome to a typical day @ ORD.  Wink
Whoever said winning is not everything never fought cancer.

drewwright

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:35 pm

Magic trade show...... No wonder the lines were so long. Imagine a bunch of nerds with no social skills in Vegas... Almost as bad as a bunch of us airplane nerds there (at least we'd be spotting).......

Drw

4holer26

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:01 pm

edit: due to ignorance =)

[Edited 2007-02-21 06:03:16]
I love the smell of Jet-A in the morning!!!

crownvic

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:44 pm

For those who disagree with my comment, it really does not make sense for me to argue and perhaps my point is still being misunderstood. When 25R departures start backing up on normal days, yes, flow control has something to do with it. However, if you do not want to take my word for it, then ask any WN or HP pilot what frustrates them more than anything at LAS. The answer is waiting for for corporate jet traffic on the N/S parallels that freezes the 25R departure operations since the FAA instilled the unrestricted operations on intersecting r/w's. The fact whether GA traffic departs the left or right N?S parallel has nothing to do with what on here.

Flyboy7974...Who is talking about Sunday???? The meltdown was on Monday and I have no idea where you maybe getting your facts from, but according to my Flight Explorer program, the GA traffic had more "lights" on the LAS listing than the red light district of Bangkok! If you're going to disagree, then compare apples to apples. I was on the field about 10 hours on Monday and may have a little better insight as to what was going on that day than the average a.net poster!

zippyjet

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:57 pm

Quoting SirOmega (Reply 2):
NBA All Star Game - at least 100,000 people
MAGIC trade show (Men's Apparel) - 115,000 people
Three day weekend (which are just normally busy anyways)
Inclement weather (IFR - at least thats what I heard when I listening to ATC)

Equal the busiest day at LAS ever.

The NBA All star crowd can be challenging! Especially in party land Viva Las Vegas! But, my friends in the town that never sleeps: this was just a prelude. I understand March Madness is like a political convention, Mardi Gras, and Spring Break all rolled up into one raucous cluster fU%K or just wild partying. You can't turn around anywhere. Getting around whether by land or air is futile at times. My parents were set to go to the Goji Juice convention held during this period. My cousin talked my dad out of going quicker than Paris Hilton could say That's Hot!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve of this message!

HPLASOps

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:10 pm

Quoting Necigrad (Reply 35):
T3 is only supposed to have something like 12 gates I believe. It was a suprisingly small number, but I'm not certain exactly. Eventually (unless this has changed over the past 5 years) the Ivonapah airport is supposed to take ALL LAS freight traffic, and possibly all the freight traffic in the southwest. And then (and I'm suspicious of this psrt) once the mag lev train is built (if it is) ALL international flights go there as well, not to McCarran, and T2 will be a domestic terminal. This is all 5 years old though, and may have since changed.

T2 wouldn't really work as a domestic terminal because there's little connectivity with T1. Currently, pax have to take a bus to go between the two, plus having to go through security and all that jazz. Only airline that I could foresee setting up shop in T2 and being sucessful is G4. They don't have many pax that interline so the need for pax to jump between the two terminals is minor. I think T2 would end up comparable to the Humphrey terminal at MSP (I think that's the right one - I confuse the two terminals) and be perfect for G4 and Champion to operate out of.

As for IVP, that's not a done deal yet. There are some environmental/NIMBY groups that are trying to protest the building of the airport out there. Plus I fear that it could end up like a YUL/YMX situation where the airport is built so far out of town that no one will want to move out there. The cargo flights will move, no doubt, but when probably 40% of the airport's flights come from California, asking pax to go another 30 miles after landing to get to the Strip when McCarran is right there will be tough. I'm worried IVP could end up like YMX, the anti-Field of Dreams - build it and they won't come.

But with the addition of T3, an ideal dream scenario would go something like this: demolish T2, followed by CB4 (the high A gates). Start building new terminal to replace A/B that's more efficient in design that could accomodate more gates in a better pattern. After building phase 1, tear down CB3 (lower A gates) and build another wing, and so on and so forth. That might provide enough gates to delay the need for IVP.

HPLASOps

Wed Feb 21, 2007 3:27 pm

Quoting Crownvic (Reply 44):
When 25R departures start backing up on normal days, yes, flow control has something to do with it.

Flow control issues with 25R are not a problem since there are two taxiways that feed into 25R (sorry, I can't think of the two taxiways off the top of my head). The inside one is used for flights that are on flow control programs and need to sit until further notice while the outer taxiway are for aircraft that are ready to go when the tower is.

Quoting Crownvic (Reply 44):
However, if you do not want to take my word for it, then ask any WN or HP pilot what frustrates them more than anything at LAS. The answer is waiting for for corporate jet traffic on the N/S parallels that freezes the 25R departure operations since the FAA instilled the unrestricted operations on intersecting r/w's.

Well, I don't think sending GA aircraft to the 25s will do any more good then having them use 1L/19R. All that means is now there are more aircraft to clog up the taxiways infront of the terminals and that puts more stress on the Tower. With simultaneous departures on 19R and 25R, you reduce the time it takes for TIPH (taxi into position and hold), and aircraft are ready to go when all clear.

B777ER

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:11 pm

Quoting MCOflyer (Reply 37):
WN doesnt have F class.

Yes I know. Thats why I take DL or CO to LAS when I go.

necigrad

Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:52 pm

Quoting Drewwright (Reply 42):
Magic trade show...... No wonder the lines were so long. Imagine a bunch of nerds with no social skills in Vegas...

Actually they're not nerds. It's not Magig the Gathering (thought I thought that when I first moved here and heard of it too). It's garment manufacturers. And they check their displays. Two HUGE garment bags that weight 50# or more. They're very unweildy with no handholds. That alone would back up a ticket counter simply in trying to handle the bags.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos