Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

ACFA
Topic Author

An Attack On Airline Employees

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:32 pm

Check out the article. Its an sensationalist tirade on airline employees. Some of the allegations are so outrageous, (i.e. checkin staff selling upgrades on the side, FAs swapping replicas with the duty free, pilots not paying attention, crews using drugs and alcohol rampantly....)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...36312&in_page_id=1787&in_a_source=

HPLASOps

RE: An Attack On Airline Employees

Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:48 pm

Yikes, somebody really has a bone to pick with the biz. Congrats on pointing out a few bad habits that a crew could "potentially" do (some of which I hadn't heard of anyone doing before), and trying to make it sound like a few bad apples really did spoil the whole damn barrel. This is just a hate/rant article and has no place in legitimate journalism.

airfoilsguy

Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:12 pm

I have seen or heard about all the things mentioned in the article at just about every job I have ever had. It's no big deal, there are always rotten apples in every bunch, hell our last president did a few few of them while in office.

utapao

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:41 am

She's not bone picking... she's making a ton of money and sucking up all the publicity she can generated. She has done similar "exposes" (term used loosely) on the fashion industry, hotel industry, etc.

You could collect stories/rumors heard over the years and do a similar book on ANY industry.

She is despicable!

Since her photo is available online, wonder what sort of inflight service she receives in the future?

EWRCabincrew

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:46 am

Quoting Utapao (Reply 3):
She's not bone picking... she's making a ton of money and sucking up all the publicity she can generated. She has done similar "exposes" (term used loosely) on the fashion industry, hotel industry, etc.

Media whore (there's that word again)

Quoting HPLASOps (Reply 1):
This is just a hate/rant article and has no place in legitimate journalism.

It is published in The Daily Mail. Not known for it's hard hitting investigative stories. I have been crew for 20 years and have never had a life like the one she described. That or maybe I am dull. Not.

Like the journalism world is100% perfect.  Yeah sure Glass houses.

rdwelch

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:47 am

I'm just waiting for the next expose' that she posts on the gardening industry and the lurid trysts that happen between the workers and employers in suburban London......Appalling!!!!!!  Wink

Gus

jetdude

Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:49 am

Well, dramatic as the story is, there is a lot of truth to it.

The stealing of monies collected for headsets, liquor etc by the FAs has been on going for years, usually under the victim mentality of " I don't get paid enough". Same for the gate agents, put that seems to be a lesser extent, more difficult to cover up.

ACFA
Topic Author

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:09 am

Quoting Jetdude (Reply 6):
Well, dramatic as the story is, there is a lot of truth to it.

The stealing of monies collected for headsets, liquor etc by the FAs has been on going for years, usually under the victim mentality of " I don't get paid enough". Same for the gate agents, put that seems to be a lesser extent, more difficult to cover up.

But stashing drugs in hotel rooms for colleagues? Drinking on the way to the airport? Swapping replicas with the duty free items?  crazy 

rdwelch

Wed Feb 21, 2007 6:32 am

Quoting ACFA (Reply 7):
But stashing drugs in hotel rooms for colleagues? Drinking on the way to the airport? Swapping replicas with the duty free items?

Oh, and she witnessed every single one of these things. C'mon, we all know some degree of malfeasance will happen every now and then, but the scale on which she is "writing" on makes it seem as if every flight that happens in the world has this going on. She's a hack who gets her subscribers by "writing" scandal laden hyperbole. Just look at the "publication" she "wrote" for.

Might as well as get our industry insider information from the Inquirer or News Of The World for heaven's sake.

Gus

OA260

Wed Feb 21, 2007 7:46 am

Selling upgrades and pockting the money or charging more than it should be and pocketing the difference does go on !!! Ive witnessed it first hand!!!! But its not the norm and most airline staff are in fact honest and genuine.

airtran737

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:00 am

She brings up a lot of true points. Airline employees do have a lot of fun, but the allegations of drinking and drugs are out of line. There are undoubatedly a few who do blow off the rules, but the rest of us play byt them. And how dare she divulge the secret of asile surfing. She should be hanged for this.

BMED

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:01 am

Sounds like all shes done is read Air Babylon and copied stuff from that

Gofly

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:03 am

rotfl 

Oh wait, the article was meant to be serious....

Blackbird1331

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:04 am

Lots of people in the industry. I am sure there is some truth there,but, of course, you do not hear much about all that goes well. And if you noticed, there was an e-mail reply form at the bottom of the article. No one has replied. I do not think they would post my reply. The guy is writing a novel. He only wants dirt.

CV580Freak

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:30 am

Check out right at the bottom of the article and it quotes :

Air Babylon by Imogen Edwards-Jones and Anonymous (Corgi, £7.99).

baron95

Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:47 am

I was once on a Delta flight from France to the US, got upgraded from biz to first (I think). At the end of the flight as I got my carry-on down, the flight attendant insisted on giving me 2 bottles of Frech Champagne as if she was hiding it. I thought she just wanted to be discreete so the other pasengers wouldn't be jealous. I told her I'd pass (since I don't usually drink the stuff and only had one carry one. She then insisted and reached for the zipper on my bag to help me stash it. At that point I very forcefully had to tell her NO, I DON"T WANT IT. She then grabbed the bottles and ran to the galley. She didn't try to give it to other passengers.

That was (not the top) but one of the most wierd behaviours I've seen from crew at an airplane. To this day, I'm not quite sure what was going on, or why she insisted on stashing the bottles on my bag. I know for a fact, that FAs are not allowed to remove unused service items from a DL flight. Did she try to get away that by giving them to me. The two bottles were probably worth $200.

Very odd.

Maverick623

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:39 am

Daily Mail?

'Nuff said

AsstChiefMark

Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:47 am

Sounds like she's watched one too many episodes of "Mile High."

Mark

iairallie

Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:37 am

I am sure in the history of commercial aviation that many of these things have happened. However the thing that irrates me is that these incidents are surely the exception and this "article" makes them sound common place. Every airline I've worked for has strict alcohol policies and proceedures to hold crew acountable for sales money. We take our safety responsiblities very seriously and I've never seen someone drink while on duty.

ASFlyer

Wed Feb 21, 2007 1:10 pm

Oh spare me - this woman surely hasn't been talking to any airine crew members I know - at least not in the last 30 or 40 years. I hope they plan on labeling this ridiculous book fiction. It's certainly no expose of the industry these days.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos