Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

pilotfox
Topic Author

Midwest Announces OMA-LAX

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:00 am

Did a search and I don't think anyone has brought this up

Midwest Airlines Launches Nonstop Omaha-Los Angeles Service as Next Step in 2007 Strategic Growth Plan
MILWAUKEE, Feb. 22 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- Midwest Airlines (Amex: MEH) today announced the May 1 launch of nonstop service between Eppley Airfield in Omaha, Neb. and Los Angeles International Airport. Midwest will be the only airline to offer nonstop service in the market.

The new Omaha-Los Angeles service is the next step in Midwest's comprehensive strategic plan, which includes aggressive route expansion as well as the addition of at least six new destinations and as many as 12 new routes in 2007 -- leading to a 20% increase in capacity in 2007.

Daily service will include an early morning departure from Omaha and early evening departure from Los Angeles, providing Omaha-area business travelers the opportunity to fly into Los Angeles in the morning, put in a day's work and return home the same day.

The new flight will operate as Midwest Airlines Signature Service, which provides travelers additional comfort and space. Midwest's new Boeing 717 jet aircraft feature two-by-two seating, extra legroom, and newly designed Recaro seats with adjustable headrests and footrests. Onboard service includes complimentary soft drinks, packaged snacks and baked-onboard chocolate chip cookies, with the airline's buy-onboard Best Care Cuisine available for purchase. DigEplayer portable inflight entertainment systems are offered for rent on longer flights.

"Omaha is an important city in our network, and we're happy to offer the community nonstop service on a route that is sure to be very popular," said Scott R. Dickson, senior vice president and chief marketing officer. "It's always a pleasure to provide customers another way to enjoy 'The best care in the air.'"

Midwest Airlines also provides daily nonstop service from Omaha to both Milwaukee and Washington, D.C. Reagan National. It is the only airline offering nonstop service in these markets.

Tickets for the new service may be purchased at http://www.midwestairlines.com . Schedules, including a downloadable timetable, and fares are also available on the Web site.

Midwest Airlines features jet service throughout the United States, including Milwaukee's most daily nonstop flights and best schedule to major destinations. Catering primarily to business travelers and discerning leisure travelers, the airline earned its reputation as "The best care in the air" by providing passengers with impeccable service and onboard amenities at competitive fares. Skyway Airlines, Inc. -- Midwest's wholly owned subsidiary -- operates as Midwest Connect and offers connections to Midwest Airlines as well as point-to-point service between select markets on regional jet and turboprop aircraft. Together the airlines offer service to 49 cities. Visit http://www.midwestairlines.com for more information.

Midwest Airlines Omaha-Los Angeles Service
Beginning May 1, 2007

Omaha to Los Angeles Los Angeles to Omaha
Depart Arrive Frequency Depart Arrive Frequency
07:10 am 08:30 am Daily 05:35 pm 10:35 pm Daily

This document contains forward-looking statements about the results expected under the company's strategic plan and that otherwise may state the company's or management's intentions, hopes, beliefs, expectations or predictions for the future. Words such as "projecting," "expect," "anticipate," "believe," "estimate," "goal," "objective" or similar words are intended to identify forward-looking statements. It is important to note that the company's actual results could differ materially from projected results due to the risk factors described in Item 1A. Risk Factors in the company's "Annual Report on Form 10-K" for the year ended December 31, 2005.

SOURCE Midwest Airlines

CXA330300

RE: Midwest Announces OMA-LAX

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:10 am

Has any airline operated an OMA-LAX service previously?
Home airport now: DCA/IAD

dw9115

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:13 am

Well, is this maybe a little retaliation for Express Jet announcing OMA-ONT?

FLLspoter

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:17 am

this is great for OMA
FLL justs gets better and better!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DAYflyer

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:19 am

I'm sure it has something to do with the current dogfight between them and FL.
One Nation Under God

knope2001

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:20 am

They flew OMA-LAX twice daily from May 1995 through October 2001 if I recall correctly. One of the two round trips operated MKE-OMA-LAX and LAX-OMA-MKE.

Since dropping that, Midwest has been completely out of the OMA-LAX market so if they just let ExpressJet do OMA-ONT on their own it wouldn't really dent them. But if they had thoughts of getting back in someday, this might be the time before XJet gets a hold in the southern California market.

deltadawg

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:26 am

What kind of O&D traffic does this route offer? I don't know OMA statistics but it just seems like there would not be a great deal of O&D traffic even only twice a day ( that would be total of 176 seats each way).

[Edited 2007-02-22 20:26:40]
GO Dawgs, Sic' em, woof woof woof

WA707atMSP

Fri Feb 23, 2007 4:54 am

Quoting CXA330300 (Reply 1):

I'm pretty sure both AA and UA flew OMA-LAX / SFO before deregulation. OMA also had nonstops to PDX and SEA, on Eastern.

knope2001

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:22 am

Quoting WA707atMSP (Reply 7):

I'm pretty sure both AA and UA flew OMA-LAX / SFO before deregulation. OMA also had nonstops to PDX and SEA, on Eastern.

Yup, Omaha had as many as 4x/day OMA-LAX on United and 1x/day OMA-LAX on American in the early-mid 70's. Some of those flights did carry some thru traffic in markets like DSM-OMA-LAX and MLI-OMA-LAX.

Quoting DeltaDAWG (Reply 6):
What kind of O&D traffic does this route offer? I don't know OMA statistics but it just seems like there would not be a great deal of O&D traffic even only twice a day ( that would be total of 176 seats each way).

For the four most recent quarters, the average total passengers (both ways) between OMA and LAX has been 246 per day. That is LAX only and does not include ONT, BUR, SNA or LGB.

Midwest will fly 1x/day with the 88-seat 717.

mlsrar

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:27 am

Previously, they served the market with their D93s, and it seemed to be a successful niche. I never totally understood why they bailed on it, but I had presumed that WN was flying it, and siphoning pax away from YX.

Good for YX and OMA.
I mean, for the right price I’ll fight a lion. - Mike Tyson

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:40 am

Wow, really surprising and interesting choice. It seemed that OMA was completely off the radar, save the continued DCA service. I actually flew this route MKE-OMA-LAX back in '95. I think it shows some good potential.
The Best Care in the Air, 1984-2009

willyj

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:52 am

Quoting DeltaDAWG (Reply 6):

OMA has several large companies based in the city. Berkshire Hathaway, Union Pacific, First National Bank, Mutual of Omaha, and some others...

Eagle11

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:55 am

Quoting Knope2001 (Reply 8):
Midwest will fly 1x/day with the 88-seat 717.

checkmark 

Good choice by Midwest. This should work out pretty well. Not a lot of seats on a route that can definately support the traffic. Good, safe growth plan.
"The Eagle has landed"

B757capt

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:56 am

Quoting DAYflyer (Reply 4):
I'm sure it has something to do with the current dogfight between them and FL.

What the hell does this have to do with FL. How about WN.....
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Feb 23, 2007 5:59 am

Quoting B757capt (Reply 13):
What the hell does this have to do with FL. How about WN.....

Oh, just the little hostile takeover attempt...thing.

Mikey711MN

Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:04 am

Quoting Pilotfox (Thread starter):
Omaha to Los Angeles Los Angeles to Omaha
Depart Arrive Frequency Depart Arrive Frequency
07:10 am 08:30 am Daily 05:35 pm 10:35 pm Daily

So will this bump the LAX-MCI-LAX rotation to operate in the middle of these flights, i.e. OMA-LAX-MCI-LAX-OMA? Also, having traveled on business myself, this seems to really stretch the limits of "convenient" workday--especially with LA traffic--if you're rolling out of the airport by, at best, 9am and have to be back by, say, 4:30pm to catch your flight home.

-Mike
I plan on living forever. So far, so good...

B757capt

Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:10 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 14):
Oh, just the little hostile takeover attempt...thing.

I still don't understand what you are trying to say. FL does not fly to OMA. Are you people really this paranoid?
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Feb 23, 2007 6:22 am

Quoting B757capt (Reply 16):
I still don't understand what you are trying to say. FL does not fly to OMA. Are you people really this paranoid?

Has nothing to do with Omaha.

Has everything to do with the implementation of the strategic growth plan that is going on. OMA-LAX is an unexpected move from a YX market thats been pretty dormant for years. It's a positive because indications show this is a good O&D route that has a good chance at being successful. This type of move shows much more than just a new RJ destination from MKE or MCI.

It's not paranoid. You have to look at the big picture, and in the big picture these moves are trying to show growth and potential to make it easier for the shareholders to not jump ship and tender to AirTran.

n917me

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:28 am

OMA-LAX should do good. This is a good move for YX. Also say bye bye to the FRJ service for OMA. All the FRJ service will be replaced by CRJ service. Which is great, becasue it is a pain to try to find seats to OMA during IROPS.

JetBlueAUS

Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:11 am

Ugh. OMA-ONT on an ERJ?
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

N723GW

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:06 am

Just wondering, how long will YX advertise their 717's as "new" ? I am just wondering, they are nice, but when does a company just consider them just their "airliners"
The dude abides

Mikey711MN

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:19 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 17):
You have to look at the big picture, and in the big picture these moves are trying to show growth and potential to make it easier for the shareholders to not jump ship and tender to AirTran.

To play devil's advocate here for a second, doesn't that create sort of a Potemkin Village when it comes to showing progress in YX's growth strategy? That is, opening these new routes with 717s of which YX has precisely ZERO of on order must sound a few sirens in some analysts' minds, wouldn't you say? And with that, suddenly YX is showing a net decrease in other markets to compensate, that is, if you see the forest from the trees.

Certainly YX wants to deliver their "best" product to their new markets and routes, but the brings to light two issues: (1) there is significant enough difference in their products that the gaining majority of it, e.g. Midwest Connect and Saver Service, dilutes their brand and (2) existing markets currently "used to" the Signature Service as the Midwest brand identity will have less of it and more of the identity that, quite frankly, looks a lot like everybody else (except for the smiley faces, cookies, and blue paint).

-Mike

SANFan

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:25 am

Quoting Knope2001 (Reply 8):
For the four most recent quarters, the average total passengers (both ways) between OMA and LAX has been 246 per day. That is LAX only and does not include ONT, BUR, SNA or LGB.

Interesting. O&D of 246; SAN-OMA is 233 so maybe that will be another of YX's "12 new routes for 2007". Of course XE is starting SAN-OMA in May -- maybe that will encourage YX, or maybe it will discourage them.

I was hoping to see something else in SAN from YX this summer; last year, their inaugural year in SAN, they ran a second MCI flight for the peak months. I have thought a MKE flight (early a.m. departure from SAN to make all connections) would be great but as long as Midwest is on a OMA-kick...

In fact, I believe YX did connect SAN and OMA a few years ago during their first attempt at serving Lindbergh Field. I think it was some kind of funky OMA-SAN-LAX-OMA round-robin type of service (maybe only on weekends?) that didn't last too long.

If this LA-OMA flight IS due to the announced XE ONT-OMA service, that would be, I think, the first preemptive strike at XE by anyone, right?

bb

Mikey711MN

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:30 am

Quoting SANFan (Reply 22):
If this LA-OMA flight IS due to the announced XE ONT-OMA service, that would be, I think, the first preemptive strike at XE by anyone, right?

AA's addition of Eagle service on MCI-RDU probably was the first. But I think that's about it.

-Mike

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:34 am

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 21):
That is, opening these new routes with 717s of which YX has precisely ZERO of on order must sound a few sirens in some analysts' minds, wouldn't you say?

Not really. The RJ's will be going into the thinner/short range markets to free up some 717 for this type of route. I don't think it sends up sirens, but there is certainly continuing uncertainty. The real future of expansion in these longer range markets will come down to the decision on MD-80 replacement. Hindsight might be saying they should have picked up more 717s when the could have, but theres unprecedented growth on the RJ level and planned growth in the 100 seats+ range.

Mikey711MN

Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:42 am

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 24):

Not really. The RJ's will be going into the thinner/short range markets to free up some 717 for this type of route. I don't think it sends up sirens, but there is certainly continuing uncertainty.

Agreed. Unfortunately for YX at a time where they need significant concrete proof that their plan to move forward as a standalone airline will work. However...

but theres unprecedented growth on the RJ level

I've got to admit that this statement bewilders me a bit. That is, surely the hay-day for RJs was in years' past...if there was unprecedented growth, wouldn't the value of RJ's and/or their respective providers continue to be high? Maybe I'm not understanding, i.e. you're speaking more from YX's point-of-view or some other reference.

-Mike

SANFan

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:06 pm

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 23):
AA's addition of Eagle service on MCI-RDU probably was the first. But I think that's about it.

You're right Mike; I forgot about that one.

And good points about this YX growth spurt. I always get nervous when any of the smaller cx do this MAJOR expansion with several new cities a year, e.g., B6, FL (except in cases where SAN is the benefit of some of the growth  Wink ) but especially in the case of YX, as you mentioned, with very limited equipment...

It is kinda scary. Or, of course, there may very well be things going on behind the scenes that we are not privy to...

bb

mke717spotter

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:08 pm

This is great news! This was a biut surprising, but I've always been hoping that YX would add either LAX or some Florida city from OMA. Anyone know if the OMA-DCA flight is doing well?
Will you watch the Cleveland Browns and the Detroit Lions on Sunday? Only if coach Eric Mangini resigned after a loss.

jpetekyxmd80

Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:11 pm

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 25):
I've got to admit that this statement bewilders me a bit. That is, surely the hay-day for RJs was in years' past...if there was unprecedented growth, wouldn't the value of RJ's and/or their respective providers continue to be high? Maybe I'm not understanding, i.e. you're speaking more from YX's point-of-view or some other reference.

I just mean that with the 15 CRJ's, that will be the most ambitious RJ expansion that YX connect has ever undergone.

knope2001

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:16 pm

Quoting Mke717spotter (Reply 27):
This is great news! This was a biut surprising, but I've always been hoping that YX would add either LAX or some Florida city from OMA. Anyone know if the OMA-DCA flight is doing well?

OMA-DCA does rather well. It's kind of funny. In the late 90's OMA-DCA was somewhat lackluster because it had a lot of discounted government fare traffic. In recent years as average fare levels have dropped most places the OMA-DCA average fare -- even with the government traffic -- is comparably good. Then throw in the fact that OMA-DCA is virually all local point-to-point traffic, and OMA-DCA definitely justifies its keep.

Mikey711MN

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:56 pm

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 28):
I just mean that with the 15 CRJ's, that will be the most ambitious RJ expansion that YX connect has ever undergone.

Indeed it is. Sadly, I think YX has known for years that there is growth potential in these markets (evidence: the since canceled ERJ order) and simply didn't have the decent financial standing to get the planes on the property and capitalize sooner.

Back to the topic at hand, IIRC, OMA was once considered a "hub" for YX at one point, yeah? Or at least a focus city? To me, OMA is very underserved for the business market it contains (my current employer's HQ included) and could very well see more [at least] RJ expansion on tactical P2P routes.* LAX seems like a sure thing, but couldn't ATL, IND, or even MCI (given well-timed connections to its built-up flight bank westbound and southbound) work?

Just prognosticating,
-Mike

* at risk of bumping into WN, of course, but YX and WN always seemed to play well enough in the same sandbox

SkyexRamper

Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:57 pm

Quoting JpetekYXMD80 (Reply 28):
that will be the most ambitious RJ expansion that YX connect has ever undergone.

So far the CRJs are being used to downgrade 717 routings ie: some of PHL, MSP and all of SAT will be CRJs. I think the whole purpose of the CRJ is to allow the use of 717 for other routings instead of expanding using the CRJ.
Good Luck to all Skyway Pilots! It's been great working with you!

tsra

Fri Feb 23, 2007 3:47 pm

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 15):
So will this bump the LAX-MCI-LAX rotation to operate in the middle of these flights, i.e. OMA-LAX-MCI-LAX-OMA?

It is not timed that way yet. If YX does this that would mean the LAX-MCI red eye would come back.

This

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 21):
(1) there is significant enough difference in their products that the gaining majority of it, e.g. Midwest Connect and Saver Service, dilutes their brand and (2) existing markets currently "used to" the Signature Service as the Midwest brand identity will have less of it and more of the identity that, quite frankly, looks a lot like everybody else

and this

The real future of expansion in these longer range markets will come down to the decision on MD-80 replacement. Hindsight might be saying they should have picked up more 717s when the could have

and this

Quoting Mikey711MN (Reply 25):
I've got to admit that this statement bewilders me a bit. That is, surely the hay-day for RJs was in years' past...if there was unprecedented growth, wouldn't the value of RJ's and/or their respective providers continue to be high?

have been what I have been concerned with about the growth plan. YX should have already made up its mind with the MD-80 replacement and that bird should be in service now. Now we have to wait until the end of the year for an announcement (maybe). Will the same market conditions still exsist when those birds finially arrive? I hope so. And those CRJs....... Man I hope this works for YX....
Ooops, congrats OMA on your new service! (sorry for the rant, it has been a long day at work)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos