Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jycarlisle
Topic Author

B6 To Charge For Snacks?

Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:45 pm

Not that I believe everything I hear, but I wanted to verify this....

Is B6 commencing snack sales on their flights?
"CHANGE IS: CLEAN PLANES AND DIRTY MARTINIS" (DL)

adizzy

RE: B6 To Charge For Snacks?

Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:19 pm

It would not suprose me.....since everyone else practically does.......although it is going to go against thier business model....to bring humanity back to the air!

B6sFinest

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:20 am

Yeah... I wouldnt believe everything you hear.. I doubt that will happen!
Got Blue?

richierich

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:28 am

Quoting B6sFinest (Reply 2):
Yeah... I wouldnt believe everything you hear.. I doubt that will happen!

Perhaps someone at B6 knows more, but in my experience you can never say never. However, the timing seems a little odd to me, so I'm calling it BS.
None shall pass!!!!

B6sFinest

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:42 am

Agreeded... BS... I havent heard anything here at B6 but Ive been with the company for a while and I dont think they would do that. Especially after last week... Ofcourse B6 has shocked me before..EWR, LGA, ATL, so I could be wrong but I doubt it.
Got Blue?

b777a340fan

Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:22 am

Depends what you consider as "snack". Peanuts and a soda, I don't think so... Sandwiches/hot meals, perhaps. I've never flown B6 so I don't know what it serves usually.

richierich

Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:36 am

Quoting B777A340Fan (Reply 5):
Sandwiches/hot meals, perhaps. I've never flown B6 so I don't know what it serves usually.

Well, I can tell you they don't serve those. But maybe you are right... is BOB coming to B6?
None shall pass!!!!

Mir

Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:56 am

Perhaps they're looking to introduce BOB meals the way Song had it, but I think the snacks they have currently will remain free.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

JBLUA320

Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:11 am

Quoting Mir (Reply 7):
Perhaps they're looking to introduce BOB meals the way Song had it, but I think the snacks they have currently will remain free.

I remember hearing something about this a while ago. I believe if B6 charges, it will be for upgraded meals/hot snacks etc. The current snack selection will stay free.

JBLU

lightsaber

Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:41 am

Quoting JBLUA320 (Reply 8):
I remember hearing something about this a while ago. I believe if B6 charges, it will be for upgraded meals/hot snacks etc. The current snack selection will stay free.

Yes, there has been discussion on this before.  bigthumbsup 

as to the basic snacks... nyet.

Got popcorn?
Lightsaber
6 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

Mir

Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:54 am

Quoting Lightsaber (Reply 9):
Got popcorn?

Oh, I hope not. I really dislike the smell of buttered popcorn - would hate to be stuck on a flight with it.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Iloveboeing

Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:06 am

I think JetBlue would be wise with sticking with free snacks. As mentioned above, their goal was to "bring humanity back to air travel."

jetblueatjfk

Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:53 am

They won't be charging for their current snacks. The only thing they would charge for is BOB, which would be nice for B6 to add.

B6jfk airplane 

richierich

Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:59 am

Quoting JetBlueAtJFK (Reply 12):
They won't be charging for their current snacks. The only thing they would charge for is BOB, which would be nice for B6 to add.

Not that I think B6 should be emulating Song, but how did their BOB do? I heard that their sandwiches, although not cheap, were actually quite good. Can somebody offer their opinion?
None shall pass!!!!

BrianDromey

Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:28 am

Quoting Richierich (Reply 13):
Not that I think B6 should be emulating Song, but how did their BOB do? I heard that their sandwiches, although not cheap, were actually quite good. Can somebody offer their opinion?

I would like to see a decent BOB on board. The thought of a trans continental flight with only pretzels and chips! A cardiologsts wet dream! Personally I like the BOB concept. EI 's is especially good. They have a mix of sandwiches, cheese selections, panninis, hot pasta meals, etc. The quality is excellent and so I dont mind paying.

I dont think that BOB goes against B6 's service ethos. Those of us who fancy something a bit more filling than bag, after bag of pretzels can choose this if we so wish. Maybe thay will do it through the IFE a la Virgin America(if they ever fly LOL!)?

BTW whos BOB products are better than others? How are NW? Im doing SFO-HNL-MSP-EWR with them, is everything BOB? Is the BOB any good?

JetBlueAUS

Sat Feb 24, 2007 4:54 am

I certainly hope that JetBlue will not be starting to charge for snacks. One thing that I do enjoy about flying on JetBlue is knowing that I will NOT have to pay for a bag of chips... Most of the other airlines' snacks that they serve and you have to pay for are pretty meager. Or at least the ones that I have had.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

B6JFKH81

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:06 am

This came up in a Pocket Session a while ago IIRC...and it was made quite clear to the crew that charging for the standard snacks will not occur. I do not see this happening.
"If you do not learn from history, you are doomed to repeat it"

luvfa

Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:59 am

BOB is the quickest way to drive costs up. The cost of the unsold meals will have to be "eaten by the company". If people want a meal on their flight they can bring their own. B6 needs to control costs and not try to be everything to everybody. If people get a good fare they will be happy to bring their own food. They already get free tv and legroom!

ual757

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:10 pm

Quoting Jycarlisle (Thread starter):
Is B6 commencing snack sales on their flights?

No way...that is total BS.

Quoting JBLUA320 (Reply 8):
I believe if B6 charges, it will be for upgraded meals/hot snacks etc. The current snack selection will stay free.

Yeah. I would like to see them offer hot meals for free but....no, not gonna happen! I wonder what they would serve......... coffee   birthday  (HANING FUN WITH SMILIES-HEHE)

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 15):
I certainly hope that JetBlue will not be starting to charge for snacks.

Agreed.

Quoting BrianDromey (Reply 14):
BOB

BOB is funny. I know it is an acronym, but BOB, I don't know, I just think it's funny because I know so many people with the name Bob. That is my little rant for the day.

worldtraveler

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:18 pm

Song's onboard food was quite good. The problem was controlling overages. DL is supposedly going to try BOB ala Song again but will carefully limit the amount of perishable food.... on long flights, people will buy it. If it's just non-perishable food, I can stuff that in my bags. It's alot easier than having to make a mad dash for a fast food line at the airport and then try to schlep it onboard along w/ the luggage. Ordering ahead on the web is the way to go to minimize airport hassle for the customer and to minimize waste for the airline. Any airline that can make that system work should be able to make BOB successful.

alangirvan

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:36 pm

Jetstar has started pay in advance for BOB meals on their new long haul services. When you make your on line booking, you can tick a box to order a main meal service. On a long flight, this may be two meal services. You also tick a box to hire a dig-e-player and another box if you want a pillow and blanket for an over night flight.

The meals can still be bought on board if you want to pay cash. This is a pain for the cabin crew because they have to handle several currencies.

Advantages are that the airline knows how much food has been pre sold, so less waste. An airline could use this to offer a bigger choice of main courses if pre-ordered, including Children's meals and special diets.

Passenger boarding card shows they have pre paid, and the cabin crew have print outs as well.

COERJ145

Sat Feb 24, 2007 12:47 pm

BTW whos BOB products are better than others?

My ranking:
1. AA
2. US
3. NW
I didn't count DL or CO, they offer free meals+snacks, or UA, as I havn't flown on them since they introduced BOB.

How are NW? Im doing SFO-HNL-MSP-EWR with them, is everything BOB? Is the BOB any good?

On SFO-HNL and HNL-MSP you will have the option of purchasing a sandwich or a snackbox for $5 and pringles/nuts(decent sized bag) for $2. The nuts are ok, and the snackbox's are nothing really special, just packaged snacks. http://www.nwa.com/services/onboard/special/meals.html Are you doing the HNL-MSP leg non-stop(not a direct flight)? That flight is now an A330 with PTV's with AVOD in all classes(formerly a DC10 with projector screens. YOur MSP-EWR flight will only have the snackboxes and the nuts.

WMUPilot

Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:33 pm

I can't promise it, but I highly doubt we will be charging for our current selection of snacks. There has been talk about trying out a BOB type program where you can buy sandwiches and other snacks on board. I heard a rumor it was going to be launched on a trial basis in the first quarter of 2007, but time will tell if it actually happens.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

flybyguy

Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:30 pm

Quoting WMUPilot (Reply 22):
I can't promise it, but I highly doubt we will be charging for our current selection of snacks. There has been talk about trying out a BOB type program where you can buy sandwiches and other snacks on board. I heard a rumor it was going to be launched on a trial basis in the first quarter of 2007, but time will tell if it actually happens.

I think after the devastation and the public relations nightmare they experienced over the past week they would be wise to wait until summer to start a BOB testrun. I think it would only add insult to injury if jetblue proposes a "passenger bill of rights" and then decides to charge for sandwiches under the table.
"Are you a pretender... or a thoroughbred?!" - Professor Matt Miller

laca773

Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:47 pm

Song's BOB offering's did extremely well from what I understand and from what friends who flew them said. It was all very high quality, healthy and appealing. Up until the point of Song being re-submerged into DL mainline I feel they had the best BOB offering.
DL is suppossed to bring back the same BOB program they had on Song sometime this Spring or early Summer. They will have it on their transcon flights that also have the AVOD systems, (i.e. LAX/SFO--->ATL/CVG/JFK/BOS/FLL/MCO and etc.) You can see photos and reviews of the Song product at: www.airlinemeals.net

It seems the best BOB offering in my opinion at this time is:
1.) YX
2.) UA
3.) AC

In my opinion I feel they should bring back complimentary hot meal service on the traditional transcons from the West Coast (LAX/SFO and etc.,-->JFK/EWR*/PHL/IAD/BOS/YYZ/YUL and LAX/SFO & etc., -->HNL**/OGG**/KOA/LIH ) and some sort of cold or hot meal service from the West Coast to hubs like ATL, CVG, ORD, DTW, CLT, as well as flights to MCO, TPA, MIA/FLL, ).
*with the exception of CO offer full catering
** with the exception of HA/DL/CO/AQ offer full catering.

If B6 adds BOB, I bet they will make some very appealing , high offerings considering their current complimentary snacks as well as those nice overnight transcon amenity kits.

Have a good weekend everyone.
LACA773

ptugarin

Sun Feb 25, 2007 1:07 am

I'd like to see them introduce on-demand first-class style restaurant meals (I'd gladly pay $20 or more for mine). I think this would differentiate them from other airlines even more while providing regular buy-on-board would just close the gap between them and other airlines. With either of these paths, I'd expect them to keep the current free of charge snack options.

JBLUA320

Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:20 am

One thing... are B6s A320s and E190s equipped to heat food? I would guess the ovens were taken out to save weight...

JBLU

BrianDromey

Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:31 am

Quoting COERJ145 (Reply 21):
Are you doing the HNL-MSP leg non-stop(not a direct flight)? That flight is now an A330 with PTV's with AVOD in all classes(formerly a DC10 with projector screens. YOur MSP-EWR flight will only have the snackboxes and the nuts.

Thanks for that....I had seen the NW page before...I must say it does not look too appealing! As far as I know we are on the non-stop A330. I think the MSP-EWR leg is operated by A319.

Cheers!
Brian.

db373

Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:50 am

Quoting JBLUA320 (Reply 26):
One thing... are B6s A320s and E190s equipped to heat food? I would guess the ovens were taken out to save weight...

JBLU

That was my question regarding all this as well. I thought I had read somewhere that B6's planes weren't equipped with ovens, but I may have gotten that confused somewhere with all these other airlines removing the ovens from their planes. Still, I would guess B6's planes wouldn't have ovens as they would have no use for them. Anyone have any insight?
Keep Delta My Delta

exFATboy

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:55 am

I heard that their sandwiches, although not cheap, were actually quite good. Can somebody offer their opinion?

I had Song's sandwiches a couple of times, and they were pretty tasty, if a bit expensive ($7 if I remember right.)

Also have had AC's BOB sandwich, also pretty good.

Can't recall ever seeing ovens on B6's planes, but have to admit I've never really looked. I can see B6 experimenting with a cold sandwich or salad (similar to Midwest's, those are good!), but not a hot food service, just sounds like too much hassle.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos