Northwest Eyeing Electronic Tickets Only

Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:49 pm

Courtesy: United Press International

Northwest Eyeing Electronic Tickets Only

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Busines...trial_queue/20070224-033345-9129r/

MMEPHX

RE: Northwest Eyeing Electronic Tickets Only

Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:58 pm

99.9% e-ticket already they may as well go 100%. Who still uses a paper ticket these days? I can't remember the last time I had a paper ticket.

airtran737

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:04 pm

E tickets are great, but in a pinch there's nothing like having a paper ticket with a Rule 120.20 stamped on it to take to another airline. Don't get me wrong, I always book e-tickets (if I pay to fly), but paper still have their advantages.
Nice Trip Report!!! Great Pics, thanks for posting!!!! B747Forever

Goldenshield

Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:37 pm

E-tickets are going to be mandatory at the end of the year for both revenue and non-revenue worldwide, so this is nothing new.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

srbmod

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:05 am

It's really a no-brainer of a decision. E-tickets are one of the reasons why many airline CTOs have been closed over the last 5 years (Although the remaining CTOs also do e-ticketing). The paper ticket is on the way out since the vast majority of people book either through an airline website or via a travel booking site and those sites in general only issue e-tickets (A paper ticket option is available and some, but of course it'll cost you.). Gone are the days when you had to either go to the travel agent, or the local airport, or the nearest CTO or called the airline's reservations number to book (Some airlines even charge you to book that way now.). These days, you are your own travel agent.

Jano

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:29 am

Quoting MMEPHX (Reply 1):
Who still uses a paper ticket these days?

That would be me. Some of the flying I do between TYS- AMS or FRA - PRG - ILZ/SLD on NW/KL/OK requires a paper ticket because PRG-ILZ and PRG-SLD are p-ticket only. I suppose that when OK upgrades them to e-ticket destinations then this will be resolved.
The Widget Air Line :)

B757capt

Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:01 am

99.9% e-ticket already they may as well go 100%. Who still uses a paper ticket these days? I can't remember the last time I had a paper ticket.

Then NW can't rule 120 to another carrier.

Quoting AirTran737 (Reply 2):
E tickets are great, but in a pinch there's nothing like having a paper ticket with a Rule 120.20 stamped on it to take to another airline. Don't get me wrong, I always book e-tickets (if I pay to fly), but paper still have their advantages.

Darn,,,,,,YOU BEAT ME! haha
The views written by this user are in no manner the views of my employer and should not be thought as such.

burnsie28

Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:19 am

Northwest still uses some paper tickets for some employee travel passes.

bobnwa

Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:20 am

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 7):
Northwest still uses some paper tickets for some employee travel passes.

Correct NWA still has a few employee pass travel tickets that are paper, but they are ready now to have all pass tickets be electronic including ZED on other airlines and other airlines ZED on NWA. NWA is pushing all ZED carriers to get this done with each other soon, but it is meeting some resistance. Hopefully soon.

Leskova

Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:54 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 4):
Gone are the days when you had to either go to the travel agent

Want to guess what those "travel booking site[s]" are...  Wink ... though, admittedly, you don't have to physically go to them any longer...

As long as NW continues to use KL for ticketing in several markets, they won't have complete control over whether they get eTickets or not - then again, KL has quite wide-reaching eTicket interline agreements these days.

Personally, I try to avoid paper tickets whenever possible, but there are still some carriers which simply don't work yet - for example: try issuing JP tickets in Sabre as eTickets... won't work...

Nonetheless, there still remain (as two others have already commented) those situations in which paper tickets are simply unbeatable.
Smile - it confuses people!

BNinMSY

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:31 am

MH doesn't use e-tickets in most cases, so NW better start talking to them! It does amaze me the number of paper tickets we still have to issue. of course they are the most complex of itineraries.

asqx

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:16 am

E tickets are great, but in a pinch there's nothing like having a paper ticket with a Rule 120.20 stamped on it to take to another airline.

Actually, most IET carriers have the ability to electronically 120 or 240 a ticket over to another airline. Makes things go a lot smoother when a passenger doesn't have a paper coupon to keep track of, as there have been plenty of times where passengers seem to loose their paper coupon between ticket counters.

hamad

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:18 am

beleive it or not, if you look outside the united states, with all the interlining and people connecting, paper tickets are still necessary for some itineraries.

i would get an E-ticket over a paper any day, but there were times when i had to travel on paper tickets. internationally that is.

[Edited 2007-02-26 02:20:41]
PHX - i miss spotting

Bicoastal

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:27 am

Quoting Asqx (Reply 11):
E tickets are great, but in a pinch there's nothing like having a paper ticket with a Rule 120.20 stamped on it to take to another airline.

Actually, most IET carriers have the ability to electronically 120 or 240 a ticket over to another airline. Makes things go a lot smoother when a passenger doesn't have a paper coupon to keep track of, as there have been plenty of times where passengers seem to loose their paper coupon between ticket counters.

Yes. Airlines now "push" tickets to each other electronically everyday. Paper is rarely needed now for Rule 120, etc.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

flyingdoc

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:18 am

Quoting Srbmod (Reply 4):
These days, you are your own travel agent

And I sure do like it! Ever since I had a secretary years ago who booked me in the middle of 5 on a widebody transcontinental flight, I have always liked making my own travel arrangements.

hamad

Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:31 pm

its interesting that the article mentions that southwest was the airline that introduced electronic ticketing, while i heard a while ago, that United is the one that introduced the E-ticketing, and thats for a period of time they required you to show the credit card you booked with physically when you check in.
PHX - i miss spotting

centrair

Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:31 pm

I purchase tickets online as I can reserve my seats and get special things for my family easier. But in my job, I have to use travel agents and they only issue paper tickets. For many Japanese, buying something online is considered "risky". And in a cash society, it is more common to bring 100,000 yen to an agent and pay. I have paid several times with cash or money transfer. I get a paper ticket with lots of nice goodies from the airline. It is an environmental waste though.

If you fly NH domestically, you can fly without any paper at all. The E-ticket is on your mobile phone. Buy online, airfare bill is charged to your monthly mobile bill, ticket/flight data is stored in a IC chip, check in at a kiosk, go through security with a swipe of your mobile across a reader, and finally board by swiping your mobile across a reader.
My name is Centrair but HND is closer. Let's Japanese Aviation!

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos