Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

gayrugbyman
Topic Author

BA Connect + FlyBE: Announcement This Week?

Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:11 am

Is there likely to be an announcement this week concerning the takeover of BA Connect by flyBE?

Seems to have been going on for ages now!

Vasu

RE: BA Connect + FlyBE: Announcement This Week?

Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:11 am

I reckon there HAS to be an announcement soon...

Sketty222

Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:26 am

I bloody hope so. Its creating more problems than anything else at work at the moment.

We were told there was gong to be an announcement early Jan and then that was changed to late Jan, which was then changed to early Feb and were still waiting. Hopefully there will be something announced before the takeover date (March 26th?)

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

by738

Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:30 am

In any announcement, what are you so desperate to hear that you dont already know.....?

David_itl

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:23 am

As per comments on other threads, they are expecting to have the deal concluded by the 28th Feb.

Lite

Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:28 am

The BA Connect merger with Flybe has made sense on a number of levels, and we've seen all of these benefitial commercial arguments put forward on this site, as well as the Next Generation Airline website that flybe have set up. The problem with this merger, is that despite all of the PR hype, from a human resource point of view, it seems that staff have not been given enough information on their Ts&Cs and their futures with the company. The fact the OK on the deal has been pushed back again & again is worrying not only for the staff, but for potential passengers. We're now a month away from the launch of the official summer season, yet there is no firm future on the route network & timetable. Hopefully the announcement will be sorted soon, as it will really make sense for the UK regional airline industry. BA Connect has no future as a stand alone carrier.
LCC Lover Lite

rdwootty

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:29 pm

I am sure that BAconnect are not really interested in letting Flybe take over routes with any passengers on the flights The air fares they are showing for any route without Flybe competition are just out of this world and NO person would book. IE Barcelona 550 Madrid 750 and so on , Geneva full price. What is going on and do Flyeb know or are they only going to operate the routes they already have? It is a disgrace and it is bad for Birmingham Airport as it looks silly to book from Birmingham

cornish

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:36 pm

Yes the announcement should be coming soon - just as soon as the due diligence on the deal is completed. Should there be any issues in this process then it might hold up the anouncement until it is agreed/ ironed out, but certainly there should now be an announcement imminently - probably early March if all goes to plan.
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

jonnywishbone

Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:52 pm

Quoting Lite (Reply 5):
BA Connect has no future as a stand alone carrier.

Unfortunately though, it is going to mean faithful BA Gold card holders like me moving to other airlines and therefore other alliances - Have they really thought about the FULL impact, I doubt it.

I think the hidden costs of people like myself changing allegience will impact their mainline product and far outweigh the small loss this made for BA.

Oh, and according to BA.com, I can buy a ticket to Berlin in June.... Like i'm going to... Dont know who's operating it or whether it will operate at all - SHAMBLES!

cornish

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:01 pm

Quoting JonnyWishbone (Reply 8):
Unfortunately though, it is going to mean faithful BA Gold card holders like me moving to other airlines and therefore other alliances - Have they really thought about the FULL impact, I doubt it.

Ah but Willie Walsh is a cost cutter extrodinaire - its all he knows. He did it at Aer Lingus, which to be fair needed it. BA needs to cut serious costs too. And certainly BA Connect needed some serious work on it and some definite pruning. I'm not sure BA were right to get rid of the whole unit, but time will tell if it was the right decision or not....
Just when I thought I could see light at the end of the tunnel, it was some B*****d with a torch bringing me more work

7LBAC111

Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:09 pm

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 6):
The air fares they are showing for any route without Flybe competition are just out of this world and NO person would book. IE Barcelona 550 Madrid 750 and so on ,

Surely you can see that this is simply removing any prospect of restricted fares being sold to price sensitive customers, and to minimise any potential disruption should BE axe any existing BA routes. By only selling these Y fares, the (financial) impact on people paying these fares will be much less. Regular travellers, likely to pay the high end fares, are more familiar with, and thus understanding of flight disruptions and cancellations.

For example, the RDWooty family book to BCN on BA on a nice cheap fare, BE then axe the route, focing the RDWooty family to rebook. Of course, by now the fare has increased. So by offering only full Y (or YPLUS) fares BA and BE thus prevent any reciprocal bad press when they try to rebook and the fare has gone up by 300%)

7L
Debate is what you put on de hook when you want to catch de fish.

7LBAC111

Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:48 am

UPDATE:

Mass cancellations through GDS of BACon flights, throughout March. Is this the start of the axeing of routes.

Routes being HX'd in GDS so far are:

MAN-MAD,
EDI-SOU,
EDI-BHX

Cornish - what do you know??  Smile

7L

Lite

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:07 am

I've been surprised that considering British Airways are keeping a 15% stake in the new company, and that flybe already operate a 1 & 1/2 class service which includes lounge access at certain airports, that as part of the deal flybe didn't become an affiliate carrier to oneworld or Executive Club. Even though flybe would remain an independent operator, surely by aligning yourself with someone as powerful as BA, they would benefit from keeping oneworld frequent fliers. Just a thought, although I'm sure being part of oneworld or EC also involves extensive costs which flybe may not be able to afford.
LCC Lover Lite

cornish

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:14 am

Quoting 7LBAC111 (Reply 11):
Cornish - what do you know??

Sadly nothing that i can say on here - thats for sure  Wink

sk736

Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:53 am

The deal is all but done and dusted according to the latest Flybe press release. The Office of Fair Trading has imposed only one condition - that Flybe allows access at SOU to one of its 13 stands to another carrier. Apparently Flybe is more than happy to accept this sole condition.

vv701

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:08 am

Quoting BY738 (Reply 3):
In any announcement, what are you so desperate to hear that you dont already know.....?

Like the deal is done or - alternatively - the deal is not done?

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 6):
I am sure that BAconnect are not really interested in letting Flybe take over routes with any passengers on the flights

With BA holding a 15 per cent interest in the merged company? I trust that you are joking!

Quoting Cornish (Reply 7):
Yes the announcement should be coming soon - just as soon as the due diligence on the deal is completed.

bigthumbsup 
Due diligence has to be done . . . Well, diligently. As they say, more haste, less speed.

As soon as Flybe have completed due diligence and their management have either negotiated with BA on any apparent or real problems then it will be thumbs up or (less likely) thumbs down.

ClassicLover

Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:34 am

Qantas already have it on their web site that BA Connect has been sold to FlyBe, and that the BA code will stay until 24 March. From 25 March it changes.

http://www.qantas.com.au/fflyer/dyn/program/news/2007/jan/baConnect
I do enjoy a spot of flying, especially when it's not in economy!

cardiffairtaxi

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:13 am

FlyBe have announced 9x flights per day,from BHX-GLA,BHX-EDI,so i presume the BACON flights have been incorporated,within this schedule.

bmie70

Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:14 am

Mass cancellations through GDS of BACon flights, throughout March.

I got an email and text from BA this afternoon letting me know that my flight from EDI-SOU on the 12th had been cancelled and asking me to visit their website to "manage my booking". Unfortunately the best alternative online was a flight the day before or a refund  Sad I would have thought that as a BAcon passenger I would at least be transferred to a BE flight or some explanation given for the cancellation.

Eventually phoned executive club helpline, who did manage to rebook me onto a BE flight. Phew!!

P.S. Had to chuckle at the BAcon advert on the BA hold music though, telling me to check out their great one way deals.

highpeaklad

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:26 am

What happens to codeshares? My friend booked a RTW ticket last week which leaves MAN to SIN via FRA on QF, codesharing on the BA flight to FRA. Obvously it will be BE by then so what gives? Does he get through check-in from MAN or will he be re-routed via LHR?

Chris
Don't try to keep up with the Joneses - bring them down to your level !

7LBAC111

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:08 pm

Quoting Highpeaklad (Reply 19):
Obvously it will be BE by then so what gives?

An interline agreement has been reached, so through checkin shouldn't be a problem in the short term. (presumably throughout the merger period). Beyond that, chances are that no interlining will be possible.

skidmarks

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:17 pm

Quoting BY738 (Reply 3):

Until they make the announcement that the deal has gone ahead (or not) we, the people who work for BA Connect, cannot do anything about finding a job with Flybe. We cannot look for another job with any sort of redundnacy payment from the company. Our lives have been on hold, especially here on the IOM, for the past 4 months.

One of the sticking points has been the enormous deficit in pension funds and that is something that MUST be sorted out before the deal is done.

It may be of interest on an academic level for enthusiasts and airline afficionados, but for the workforce it's a bloody nightmare. On a personal level it is going to put me in the frame for bankruptcy.

So, the sooner they do the deal the sooner we will know what is happening to us, what is happening to routes and what is happening to aircraft.

FYI the first 4 Dash 8's are to be grounded by June 1st with G-NVSB starting it's handback maintenance on March 1st, followed by G-NVSA on April 1st.

Andy  old 
Growing old is compulsory, growing up is optional

sk736

Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:58 pm

Quoting Cardiffairtaxi (Reply 17):
FlyBe have announced 9x flights per day,from BHX-GLA,BHX-EDI

Also 5 x MAN/GLA

LH121GLA

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:24 am

Quoting SK736 (Reply 22):
Also 5 x MAN/GLA

Actually 6 x daily:

MAN GLA 0655 0805 BE7270
MAN GLA 0835 0940 BE7272
MAN GLA 1505 1615 BE7276
MAN GLA 1640 1745 BE7278
MAN GLA 1830 1940 BE7280
MAN GLA 1955 2100 BE7282

GLA MAN 0705 0810 BE7271
GLA MAN 0830 0940 BE7273
GLA MAN 1510 1615 BE7275
GLA MAN 1640 1750 BE7277
GLA MAN 1825 1930 BE7279
GLA MAN 2005 2115 BE7281

Sketty222

Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:38 am

Quoting Cornish (Reply 9):
I'm not sure BA were right to get rid of the whole unit

I thought that BA had kept the LCY based aircraft and these were to keep flying under the name Cityflyer.

Lee
There's flying and then there's flying

cornish

Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting Sketty222 (Reply 24):
I thought that BA had kept the LCY based aircraft and these were to keep flying under the name Cityflyer.

Very true. I should have been more precise. I feel that although there was plenty of room to cut back BA Connect from the regions and make it more profitable, there still were some worthwhile business routes it could have continued to serve out of markets such as MAN. Niche ops and a smaller network, but clearly they found it easier to sell off the whole unit (LCY excepted) rather than keep some of the better routes and try and sell a much less attractive proposition to potential purchasers.

Scottiedog

Wed Feb 28, 2007 3:17 am

Quoting LH121GLA (Reply 23):
MAN GLA 0655 0805 BE7270
MAN GLA 0835 0940 BE7272
MAN GLA 1505 1615 BE7276
MAN GLA 1640 1745 BE7278
MAN GLA 1830 1940 BE7280
MAN GLA 1955 2100 BE7282

Of special interest - according to Sabre CRS - the BE7270/7272/7276/7280 are all operated by E145 equipment!!

Scottie Dog

rdwootty

Fri Mar 02, 2007 6:22 am

The mass cancellation of routes with no though to the customers is not doing BHX any good at all. Berlin is now XX LYS is XX and so on. It is a disaster and I am really not sure what Flybe is doing with the routes. BCN-XX why? MAD -XX why.GVA-XX why and so on. IN addition they will not ba able to have bums on seats of they do not start selling the route from BHX soon. The pax will all book from EMA with Ryaniar and Easyjet and they will not return. Decimation is the word.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos