Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

LanFan
Topic Author

Foreign Airlines With US "N" Regs.

Tue Jul 25, 2000 1:59 am

Today I was eating lunch in Conc.A Miami Subs @MIA, and I was an Aeropostal A320 with REG# N340ML.

Does this mean that the airplane is Registered in the USA? Or that Venezuela also uses the "N" Prefix?

Thanks.

Jay
@MIA

RE: Foreign Airlines With US "N" Regs.

Tue Jul 25, 2000 2:03 am

The other day I saw a plane from an US airlines (cannot remember which one though) that was registered in Canada with the C-
I've found this very wierd.

Nicolas

Falcon Flyer

Tue Jul 25, 2000 2:24 am

Several foreign carriers operate N registered aircraft, Aeromexico & Taca among others. An N registration, no matter the airline's country of origin, is US. YV is Venezuela's prefix. Regarding the C- prefix on a US carrier, the only thing I remember was a JMC A-320 which I believed to be leased by Ryan Int'l/Apple Vacations this past winter. I not very sure about this because of JMC's British origin. Some of our Canadian friends may be able to shed some light on that one.
My definition of cool ? Not trying so hard to be cool.

tupolev154b2

Tue Jul 25, 2000 6:40 am

Didn't Alitalia register their aircraft to Britain at one time because of labor problems at home?

prebennorholm

RE: Foreign Airlines With US

Tue Jul 25, 2000 8:08 am

It's not at all uncommon that airliners carry a registration of the country in which the leasing company is situated rather than where the airline company belongs.
Some twenty years ago I was on an Icelandair DC-8 carrying N- reg. rather than TF- for Iceland.
Some months ago I saw pics of a Russian Aeroflot Boeing (767 or 777 - don't remember) carrying US N- reg. It has probably a lot with operations rules and aircraft insurance to do. When the FAA oversees operations and maintenance rather than the Russian CAA, then the leasing company may be willing to lease the plane at a considerably lower rate. Insurance companies may think the same way.
It may also make it easier to retrieve the plane when it is leased to an airline company in a more or less lawless country and they "forget" to pay the leasing bills.
When a US plane carries Canadian C- reg, then it might be on wet lease for which the plane has just been repainted in the colors of the customer.
Always keep your number of landings equal to your number of take-offs

LatinPlane

Tue Jul 25, 2000 9:26 am

The reason that you saw an AeroPostal A320 with an "N" registration is that the aircraft was wet leased from an American company. The Venezuelan dept. of
Aviation received a poor grading by the FAA puting it in a very category status.

This means that no airline in Venezuela can open new routes or use a new type of aircraft on existing U.S. routes if the aircraft involved are registered in Venezuela. Therefore, Aeropostal has to wet-lease these A320's from an outside company in order to operate to such points as Miami or Atlanta.

Best regards,

Latinplane
Pan Am - The World's Most Experienced Airline.

Tue Jul 25, 2000 9:13 pm

Latinplane--

Is that the same reason that:

Philippine Airlines has N-reg 747-400s, F-O reg A330s and A340s;
Mexicana has F-O reg A320s, N-reg 757s, and so on...

But why is it that:

Aeroflot has VP-B (Bermuda) reg Boeings?
Vietnam Airlines has S7- (Seychelles) reg on all planes?
Philippine Airlines has EI- (Ireland) reg on 737s?

IndianGuy

Tue Jul 25, 2000 9:32 pm

An Indian carrier, Sahara Airlines, also operates a couple of B737-700's which have markings beginning with 'N', instead of the usual 'VT-' registration.

Will these aircraft subject to rules set by US-regulatory body FAA, or to the Indian DGCA?

ZRH

Tue Jul 25, 2000 9:53 pm

In 1983 Swissair leased two 747-300 from a US leasing company. In the first (I think) two years they had a "N" registration. Afterwards they became HB-IGE (Geneva) and HB-IGF (Zurich).

Tue Jul 25, 2000 10:16 pm

Some aircraft are registered in other 3rd party countries because it is easier for a leasing company to reposess and de-register the aircraft if the airline defaults on their lease. Many 3rd world countries' airlines have their western built aircraft registered in countries like Bermuda because it is very easy to go in and deregister the aircraft and thus reposses the aircraft without going throught the costly, corrupt practices of local aviation authorities to get the plane back.

Further, if the aircraft is on a short-term lease, it may not be worth the expense to register and de-register aircraft for only a short amount of time.

Some countries won't allow foreign registered aircraft to operate, Egypt for example, so you would still have to register locally.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos