cun757
Topic Author

CUN New T3 And Runway

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:10 am

Well the pics are very bad but you can see how the new T3 is been all ready and also one pic of the runway in the other side of the airport...
Hope you liket

Big version: Width: 1338 Height: 1004 File size: 177kb
Big version: Width: 1338 Height: 1004 File size: 171kb
757 forever

pzurita1

RE: CUN New T3 And Runway

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:26 am

Thanks for the pics.
That style reminds me of old ASA airports, especially OAX and VSA.

Guácala!

PZ
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

Longhornmaniac

Fri Mar 02, 2007 10:53 am

Hey, thanks for the pics! I was wondering on the status of CUN. I'll be down there April 4-11, so I'll get some more pics, and add them to this thread!

Thanks again!

Cheers,
Cameron
Cheers,
Cameron

juventus

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:50 am

Thanx for the pics. I'll be there later this year, eager to see the new T3.

Anybody know how the FBO is coming along????

cun757
Topic Author

Sat Mar 03, 2007 6:58 am

Quoting Juventus (Reply 3):
Anybody know how the FBO is coming along????

Well, FBO is still the same, a little biguer platform but thats it, its no more space to makit biger...
Also some gates of the T2 are open again, but still allot to do in there...
757 forever

A388

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:36 pm

Very nice terminal I must say. Congrats to CUN!!!

A388 Big grin

EK413

Sat Mar 03, 2007 3:54 pm

Im under the impression after looking at the photos that this is just an extension to the existing Terminal?

EK413
Good evening, ladies and gentlemen. We are tonight’s entertainment!

A388

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:23 pm

I really like the design of the current terminal (see photo link). I would love to visit this airport for some nice aircraft spotting but how is this airport with aircraft photography. Are there official aircraft spotting locations at the terminal or near the runway? It also appears that the old terminal has been reopened? When you look at the second photolink you will see what appears to be spectator's terrace (bottom left of the photo). Is this a spectator's terrace for aircraft photography?

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ricardo Morales Centeno - APM

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Ricardo Morales Centeno - APM

Saludos,

A388

BA0242

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:34 pm

Thanks for the pics CUN757!!!

When are the terminal and new runway going to be officially operating?

I'm glad for CUN althought I think the building looks a bit old fashioned.

Saludos.
Favourite visitors at MEX: British Airways B747-400 and Japan Airlines B747-400.

civilav

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:48 am

Quoting A388 (Reply 7):
Are there official aircraft spotting locations at the terminal or near the runway?

Greetings from Cancun !

Sadly, to answer your question, unless you ask permission to climb to the Control Tower or you go to the top of the ASUR (airport managing consortium) building, there is absolutely no chance of taking any pictures of any planes in Cancun as a spotter.
You can from the departure lounges as a passenger of course.
It is an airport that definitely discourages plane spotters and the only glimpse you might be able to have is from the car park of the former Terminal 1 (FBO). It is no coincidence, if you check the pictures here in the galleries, that all of them are taken from inside the airport, plane window or on the tarmac as you get off or board a remote plane (currently, and pending the official opening of Terminal 3, almost half all traffic is remote as there are relatively few air bridges available).

Really sorry to disappoint you ! I was very upset too when I first settled in this city 4 years ago and found such a wonderful airport had never taken ius, plane spotters, into consideration !!
Terminal 1 is never to reopen again as a main charter plane Terminal. The cost of the reconstruction inside did not warrant the expense after the devastation of Wilma. This is why Terminal 3 was sped to have it completed in real record time.
Terminal 1 (FB0) only serves as a General Aviation terminal and will remain so for the forseeable future.

Quoting EK413 (Reply 6):
Im under the impression after looking at the photos that this is just an extension to the existing Terminal?

No, Terminal 3 is quite some distance from the present terminal. As you can see it is an L-shaped building with 11 telecospic glass bridges and as many remote stands. It will double airport handling capacity when it is opened (not clear yet but it will be some time before the summer rush) and will be, in terms of technology and general infrastructure, on a par with the most modern in the world. Just about all international flights will have an airbridge available (bar the ATR flights by Aviateca and Cubana which will be on remote stands) and better punctuality records will be possible. Currently, delays of up to 20 minutes are not uncommon for remote stand aircraft flights owing to lack of buses to ferry passengers.
It is not clear which airlines will move but, apparently, European airlines will continue to use T. 2 and American and other (mostly Latin American and Canadian) plus Mexican carriers will go to T.3. This is speculative based on what I have heard on aviation circles (I run a Travel Agency in this city). This makes sense as they are expecting a substantial growth in domestic traffic figures with the advent of so many new Mexican LCC.

Quoting BA0242 (Reply 8):
When are the terminal and new runway going to be officially operating?

Terminal 3 was back in Novermber, scheduled to open by the Spring Break season but this has been postponed owing to last minute problems with the installation and testing of the technical equipment in the building (I am referring to conveyor belts, scales, check in counters, etc). Hopefully, well before the summer it will be open and, if all goes well, by Easter (but I believe this last one is wishful thinking).
The runway is another matter. ASUR believe it will be ready by year end but, if weather conditions permit this coming hurricane season, it could be officially opened by October.

Finally CUN 757, very many thanks for posting the pictures. They look lovely indeed !

cun757
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:43 am

Quoting Civilav (Reply 9):
Finally CUN 757, very many thanks for posting the pictures.

Youre very welcome...

Youre right, its very sad that we cant take pics in here, long time ago I was tring to get a especial permision from ASUR and it was a big big trouble, so I decide to takit only when I travel... I cant understan wy they cant let us take pics...

Also I try to take some of the construction of the new runway, but is all close and secure with fenses...

Any way we are going to take good ones some day...
757 forever

A388

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:54 am

So sad we can't take pictures at CUN as the airport seems to be very nice for aircraft photography....  Sad

A388

juventus

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:47 am

Quoting Cun757 (Reply 4):
Well, FBO is still the same, a little biguer platform but thats it, its no more space to makit biger...

Thanx for the info. before Wilma, I remember seeing the FBO pack with private jets., I haven't been back since, but I heard it was severly damage. Corporate traffic to CUN is picking up again.

RJNUT

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:19 am

I have been to this airport many times..They need this expansion/runway desperately.
What I am wondering is the taxiing lenght from the new runway to the the existing terminals.It doesnt appear they can do a cross taxiway because it would cut thru the entrance road?

cun757
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:22 am

Quoting RJNUT (Reply 13):
What I am wondering is the taxiing lenght from the new runway

Well in the project is a bridge for the planes, that is going to cross the entrance road of the airport in the west side, and in the east is going to be a taxi way betwen the T2 and the storage area of all the airlines and airport equipment...

Quoting Juventus (Reply 12):
I heard it was severly damage.

Well, not any more, the FBO is working normal, also the platform is a little biger then before, and on weekends is almost full...
757 forever

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos