deltaffindfw
Topic Author

DL Takes Over ASA Duties At ATL

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:48 am

ASA employees - you're fired!

http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/070302/114869.html

Delta began handling customer service and baggage functions for Delta Connection carriers Chautauqua, Shuttle America and Freedom Airlines in Atlanta last year. Effective June 1, 2007, Delta employees also will perform customer service, baggage and operations functions for the Delta Connection flights operated by Atlantic Southeast Airlines.

deltairlines

RE: DL Takes Over ASA Duties At ATL

Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:52 am

Excellent news! The DL staff are much better than the ASA staff...not a big fan of when I'm on a flight out of the C or D concourse. At least C has a CRC that I can go to now if I need help.

LawnDart

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:14 am

Quoting DeltaFFinDFW (Thread starter):
ASA employees - you're fired!

Where in the article does it say ASA employees are fired? Today ASA employees, tomorrow Delta employees...so, how's that customer service improvement initiative coming along?

Delta has been talking about improving ASA's customer service since they bought the company in 1999. In fact, one reason they gave for taking the company over completely was because of ASA's reputation for poor operational performance. That was nearly 7 years ago.

Then, when DL sold the company to Skywest in August, 2005, they stated that Skywest (which is itself a fine airline) would focus on improving ASA's reputation. ASA passengers are still waiting...

So, although ASA will now be handled by "DL" employees, I'm not holding my breath waiting for a quantum leap in reliability or Singapore Airlines-like customer service.

deltairlines

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:15 am

When you consider that the DL ground crews are far and away better than the ASA employees in ATL (which is a general consensus amongst Medallions), this is definetely good news. The CRC on C has been a godsend in avoiding the gate areas there, and now with mainline agents working the gates, I'd hope the customer service levels will rise quite a bit, since I've had many fewer problems on T/A/B than I have C/D, and I'm using T/A/B 80% of the time.

Delta4eva

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:15 am

I just resigned from ASA yesterday as a gate agent. One of my co-workers just called me to let me know the news. Apparently, all the ASA employees are being told by ASA that it will be easy for them to get a job at Delta and they will probably not have to go through the interview process. But, I'm calling BS on that because there is a reason DL is taking over for EV and that is because of the HORRIBLE customer sevice. I resigned after just a month of working there because I was annoyed with the fact that most ASA gate agents had no idea how to rebook a passenger on the next flight. This is excellent news for Delta and the flying public.
FLY DELTA JETS

FlyPNS1

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:17 am

Overall, this is good news. Though I imagine it will take a while to weed out all the bad ASA employees and get the regional operations in line.

Goldenshield

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:21 am

Quoting LawnDart (Reply 3):
Then, when DL sold the company to Skywest in August, 2005, they stated that Skywest (which is itself a fine airline) would focus on improving ASA's reputation. ASA passengers are still waiting...

It's funny you mention this. On another forum, there were ASA pilots who did nothing but gripe about the sale, and were going to "stick it" to SkyWest, and those same people now still have the same attitude. I'm sure the customer service side has had the same thing. In my opinion, getting DL personnel to work the flights would be a blessing. Besides, since it's the hub, it would be logical to have the main carrier work the flights. If you think about it, America West has been having this same issue with Mesa in Phoenix, yet refuses to put their own employees in to fix the problem.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

APFPilot1985

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:29 am

This is great news, other than all of the job losses. The bins on the EV planes are the worst i have ever seen and the rampers in ATL can't stack bags to save their lives.
Stand Up and Be Counted Visit Site Related to Voice your opinion

apodino

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:38 am

Now if we can just get Piedmont out of the F gates in PHL.

Mainline carriers aren't always better than express carriers in ground handling. Case in point, even though Air Wisconsin doesn't fly for United anymore, they still ground handle in a number of locations. And just about every month, their ground handling statistics are by far and away better than all the other express carriers, Delta Global, and they are almost always better than mainline United. I have heard stories that the F gates have become a disaster since UA took over from United over there. I don't fly through ORD much anymore so I can't comment on that.

DAL767400ER

Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:41 am

Best news during the entire CH11 reorganization process  Silly .

haggis79

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:25 am

a little bit of an off-topic question: are the DLC flights in SLC handled by SkyWest or by DL mainline? And what about the ASA flights? I have flown both SkyWest and ASA several times and when it comes to the onboard product I didn't see much of a difference...
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

srbmod

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:26 am

Quoting APFPilot1985 (Reply 8):
The bins on the EV planes are the worst i have ever seen and the rampers in ATL can't stack bags to save their lives.

I can vouch on that, having spent about six months in 2000 working for them on the ramp @ ATL. There were times when the day shift rampers would have two of three flights they were supposed to load and as soon as the first of the evening shift rampers would show up, they'd disappear, leaving the 2 or 3 rampers that had just gotten there in a lurch. There were occasions where I was asked to work an earlier shift (I was working a 1630-0100 line) because they needed someone to either run the EV online bags (and set up the bag carts for the next flight(s) or be the lead for my gate for the day [My 11 months @ FL prior to going over to EV made me one of the more experienced rampers on the EV ramp]) and as soon as I showed up, the day shift would go either to the break room or the pill box. I'd then go get the supervisor (usually the evening shift supervisor for the zone) and that still wouldn't get them out there (As soon as he'd walk away, they'd go back inside). It's pretty bad when you have to go get the ramp manager in order to have folks do their job.

Personally, I hope the bulk of them do not get hired on by Delta. The only way to improve things in regards to the DL Connection ramp is to just blow the whole thing up and start over from scratch, as you can't undo the bad habits these guys already have. When I was there, they had worse turnover on the ramp than AirTran. I was able to snag the last evening shift Fri/Sat line when we had a bid barely three months after I got there (It took me nearly a year at FL to get a Fri/Sat line). When I was with my last employer (an airport vendor) a few years back, I would see a batch of new hires in OJT practically every week. In my training class, I was the top of the class (having prior experience helped, but some of the procedures EV had were different than what FL's were so I did have new stuff to learn.), and the rest of the class needed an additional couple of days of training before they were released from training. There's no telling how many guys on that ramp for EV that barely made it through training class.

Evan767

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:38 am

DL is one of the few airlines that listens to their customers complaints and see it as a way to improve. Great news.
The proper term is "on final" not "on finals" bud...

dl757md

Sat Mar 03, 2007 9:58 am

Quoting Haggis79 (Reply 11):
are the DLC flights in SLC handled by SkyWest or by DL mainline?

If they are out of E concourse then it is handled by OO. B concourse is usually OO but I've seen DL agents working gates there sometimes. If they are out of C or D concourse (this is happening a lot more lately) then it is usually DL with some assistance by OO.

In regards to the thread topic: It seems to me that DL may be better off hiring new people for these positions. Nothing personal against the EV agents. But in general they have been improperly trained and may have a somewhat bitter attitude simply because of the position they've been put in. New people wouldn't have this baggage (pun intended) and therefor may be easier to train.

DL757Md
757 Most beautiful airliner in the sky!

worldtraveler

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:02 am

even if DL hires most of the ASA agents, there is a good chance they will be moved off of the C concourse to DL's other operations so they can learn how DL runs an operation. Even if 1/3 of the positions are staffed by veteran DL agents, it will be a huge improvement.

it's long overdue but I still have to wonder why DL didn't do these kinds of things when they owned ASA.

f16arm

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:09 am

Maybe, Just Maybe My bags will make it now!!!!
One weekend a month and two (cough, cough 45, 90, 120 days) weeks a year supports my habbit

n757kw

Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:52 am

I worked at ASA from 1995-98. It was the same then as it is now. The only difference instead of a bunch of Brasilias you have a bunch of CRJs. The few times I have flown ASA since I left, it always amazes me that after 2 changes in owners, nothing really changed too much on the ramp.

All I can say is good luck. Not sure if DL will really improve the situation too much. They did not when they owned the company.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

An-225

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:35 am

Great news for mainline employees. I just hope that UA takes over Express (OO) here in Denver. Express has always been a disaster here, especially since the demise of Air Wisconsin.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

Goldenshield

Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:40 am

Quoting An-225 (Reply 19):
Great news for mainline employees. I just hope that UA takes over Express (OO) here in Denver. Express has always been a disaster here, especially since the demise of Air Wisconsin.

It's a vicious circle. They hire rampers to fill the short staffing, those workers are having to pull double duty due to the short staffing, then they leave becuase of constantly having to work short-staffed, but then the next group comes in and the circle repeats. All this despite the highest starting pay (or so I've heard) at DEN.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

RL757PVD

Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:36 pm

Quoting DeltaFFinDFW (Thread starter):
Delta began handling customer service and baggage functions for Delta Connection carriers Chautauqua, Shuttle America and Freedom Airlines in Atlanta last year. Effective June 1, 2007, Delta employees also will perform customer service, baggage and operations functions for the Delta Connection flights operated by Atlantic Southeast Airlines.

THANK GOD!!!!!

Honestly, i have never seen such a vast difference in a product (Delta) as i have between mainline and connection at ATL.
Experience is what you get when what you thought would work out didn't!

SpencerII

Sat Mar 03, 2007 1:54 pm

OO in Denver is a joke. I am amazed anyone could give OO the accolades about what a wonderful carrier they are.
For the most part their Denver agents have as much knowledge about ticketing, transfers and getting the right piece of luggage to the bag transfer as an empty glass of water.

floridaflyboy

Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:02 pm

Quoting Haggis79 (Reply 11):
a little bit of an off-topic question: are the DLC flights in SLC handled by SkyWest or by DL mainline? And what about the ASA flights? I have flown both SkyWest and ASA several times and when it comes to the onboard product I didn't see much of a difference...

The Skywest flights are handled by Skywest employees. I believe the ASA flights are also handled by Skywest ground workers as well, but I'm not 100% positive on that one.
Good goes around!

jetjeanes

Sat Mar 03, 2007 4:14 pm

Well the good thing is they will be able to draw unemployment and get a raise.
Now if they move their call center back from india i might can speak to someone who speaks english. The last person i spoke with her name was Barbie Doll and didnt know Lax from new orleans La.
i can see for 80 miles

dc-9-10

Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:43 am

Quoting LawnDart (Reply 2):
Where in the article does it say ASA employees are fired? Today ASA employees, tomorrow Delta employees...so, how's that customer service improvement initiative coming along?

The immediate improvement will come along when you can mix existing ASA and Delta employees. I don't know how it works at Delta but I am sure there are some flights that are handled by at least two agents at the podium and if you mix in one ASA and mix out one Delta agent the ASA will get some experience from the Delta agent while still being able to work. Also current Delta agents will head over to the ASA gates to give some help out as well. So in the immediate future ASA service should get better and Delta service should decrease just a little until all the ASA agents are up to snuff. Naturally Delta could go a whole different way then this, but this way any problems should be eliminated (ie fired, let go, taught what they need to know) in 6 months.

Quoting SpencerII (Reply 20):
For the most part their Denver agents have as much knowledge about ticketing, transfers and getting the right piece of luggage to the bag transfer as an empty glass of water.

If it is empty, is it a glass of water? Couldn't it be an empty glass of OJ or soda or just plain empty? hmmmmmmmmm

FlyPNS1

Sun Mar 04, 2007 7:05 am

Quoting Dc-9-10 (Reply 23):
Also current Delta agents will head over to the ASA gates to give some help out as well.

Certainly, the DL agents will help out and be far more knowledgeable. With that said, I think the DL agents may be in for a rough experience when they try to push 4-5 RJ departures out of one gate in less than an hours time. One of the problems with ASA (beyond many of its employees) is inadequate facilities. DL is trying to cram too many RJ departures out of too few gates. Until DL addresses this problem, the RJ operations in ATL will always underperform mainline.

An-225

Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:31 am

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 18):
It's a vicious circle. They hire rampers to fill the short staffing, those workers are having to pull double duty due to the short staffing, then they leave becuase of constantly having to work short-staffed, but then the next group comes in and the circle repeats. All this despite the highest starting pay (or so I've heard) at DEN.

I know, Golden. It's unfortunate, but I don't see SkyWest ever having anywhere close to staffing levels they need. I heard it from their management just before I quit that company. As for United, we do assist SkyWest operation by running TOBs, and there have been rumors going on about full operation takeover. Whether those materialize remains to be seen.

Alex.
Money does not bring you happiness. But it's better to cry in your own private limo than on a cold bus stop.

worldtraveler

Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:39 pm

Quoting FlyPNS1 (Reply 24):
DL is trying to cram too many RJ departures out of too few gates.

No, the problem is that ASA can't multitask. In the airline industry you have to be able to do two things - at least - at once. ASA agents can't seem to understand that it is possible to work two flights or more at the same time.

ASA does have a difficult operation because they are using a mainline facilty to work RJs but the planes can certainly all fit in the space provided. Delta will be able to work the operation because they can work efficiently. And I bet DL will use LESS people than ASA has required.... there are plenty of ASA people around - on the ramp to direct passengers as well as ramp agents, boarding agents, gate agents. ASA simply doesn't work efficiently. Delta will

TL8490

Sun Mar 04, 2007 1:40 pm

Great news for DL.....Anyone heard if they are going to look at making any of the stations DL instead of the crappy regionals (comair)....

xpfg

Sun Mar 04, 2007 3:35 pm

Quoting SpencerII (Reply 20):
OO in Denver is a joke. I am amazed anyone could give OO the accolades about what a wonderful carrier they are.

While the current situation in DEN is unfortunate, we are trying our very best as of late to make the problem better. There are 120 people deployed from OO stations around the country on one month job sessions there assisting. Since this time, things have gotten much better, and an entirely new management staff has also come in.

DEN is not an easy place to work, and I don't think the pay is enough for what it is, but you have to deal with what comes to you. Our OO SFO and LAX stations are very well done, and DEN can get back to that way with the right people.

Quoting Goldenshield (Reply 18):

SFO is the highest paid starting and overall, with LAX coming in second, then JAC and ASE. DEN comes in just under that if I'm not mistaken. This is due to city ordinances.

jetdeltamsy

Sun Mar 04, 2007 4:53 pm

Quoting LawnDart (Reply 2):

Delta will have direct control over quality and performance. When it's subbed out to the contract carriers, all Delta can do is pressure the contract carrier to do better. When it's in house, the company can make things happen....same humans beings doing the jobs or not.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

FutureFO

Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:27 am

DL is offering EV employees the opportunity to reapply for their jobs. They still have to go thru the interview process and all that. That way it will weed out the worthless employees. Since we at CHQ left D last year and moved to B there has been a major improvement in the gate and ramp performance. And they actually care about what they do.
I Don't know where I am anymore

OttoPylit

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:35 pm

I must say, its about damn time this happened. This has been needed since, oh, I guess about 1997 or earlier. I'm assuming that the ASA folks are being let go, and have the option to interview with DL? If so, I would hope only the cream of the crop would become DL people and the others be provided with applications of lower tier airlines flying out of Atlanta. LOL

Seriously though, this has been needed for quite some time. Back in the day when I worked Intl Ramp, we would sometimes get a domestic flight come in and the bag runners would need some help transferring bags. Sometimes, I would offer to help out and dread getting the ASA connections. ASA had no sensible way of setting up their ramp for bags. You would drive in circles around C concourse looking for ANY cart that happened to have the city code your looking for written on the side. Actual flights times and numbers didn't seem to matter to ASA, just the city. If you couldn't find a cart, don't bother asking an EV person, even they didn't know. I sometimes wondered who would actually get that cart of bags to the airplane, because no one knew where they were.

I once took a tug and ran over to A Concourse to grab some lunch, and on my way back, an EV agent stopped me(on her tug) as I was cruising past C Concourse. She said that she had a bag for a SEA flight that was going to leave from A1 and if would take it over there. I said that normally I wouldn't mind, but I was headed to E, totally out of the way of where she wanted it to go. But if she needed any help, I said that A1 was straight ahead and just to the right. She looked at me with a pissed look and said, "I don't work for Delta, I'm not going over there!" I took a sip from my Coke and as I put the tug into gear I said, "Well, Delta own's your company, so in a way you actually do. So take the initiative and deliver that bag to the flight before it departs,ok?" And without giving her a chance to respond,!
drove off. I can only assume that she flagged down 2 or 3 bag runners before someone took it for her. Sometimes, I miss working on the ramp, getting a (farmer's)tan and a good workout.

Delta has handled the Shuttle America andChatauqua flights out of B concourse for quite a while now and I'm sure those agents love those gates(smaller airplane=less people=less actual work during IROPs, etc.). Getting DL people over on C and D both upstairs and down can only make things go up. And get DL planning under C concourse and turn that place into an actual transfer point. Operating multiple flights out of one gate isn't something thats very hard(many a small station do that on a regular basis), you just have to be able to multi-task and know what your doing. Any time I nonrev out of C, I make sure to sit in the gate and stare at the podium, because if your flight has a gate change, you have no guarantee they would even announce it, just change the flightboard.

Everyone always complained of ASA and its services, so this is DL paying attention and taking action. If you want DL to hear a complaint, voice it now, for who know's when DL will open it's ear's again. LOL

OttoPylit
I don't have a microwave, but I do have a clock that occasionally cooks shit.

milesrich

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:18 pm

This is great news. Normally, if you arrive on mainline Delta in Atlanta, your luggage is on the carousel either when you get to baggage claim or within a short period of time, no longer than 15 minutes. I have probably arrived in Atlanta on Delta in the past three years 30 times. On ASA, it is not unusual to wait 30-60 minutes for bags. This is a move by Delta that will strengthen them considerably and should have been done 7 years ago. All ASA proves is when you pay people peanuts, you get monkeys.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos