Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CV990
Topic Author

Take A Look To These DC-8's!

Sun Mar 04, 2007 6:23 pm

Hi!

All the photos hereunder remind me the good old days when I was a kid and they were extremely rare airplanes to see. I never had the chance to know a lot about these airlines. They came and left really fast, but maybe some of you know a bit more. Here it goes what I know about them:

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Markus Buttinger

I remember seeing this airline regulary in the summer, landing at LIS, and probably doing charter flights. Did they flew long distance routes or just in Europe? This was between 1973/1974 when I saw them.

View Large View Medium

Photo © Lars Söderström

This DC-8 have one of the most stricking liveries I've ever seen!!! Never saw them at LIS but in the summer of 1973 I was in Malaga and I saw parked one of their DC-8's. Probably flew charter flights to the Mediterranean summer resorts right? Any other routes they flew?

View Large View Medium

Photo © Gerard Helmer

I only saw this airline and this place once, that was in 1978 or 1979, I was with some friends at LIS airport, and then suddenly this DC-8 landed right in front of our eyes, unexpected!!! Can anyone tell me more about this airline?
regards
CV990, the Maserati of the skies!

solnabo

RE: Take A Look To These DC-8's!

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:12 pm

Huh?

Spearair (Finland), never heard about that airline, but the the livery is awesome on the DC8!

Someone with info about Spearair?

I really miss the time when there was no noice regulations, watching the old beautys taking off with a roar that made you deaf for 5 minutes......*sigh*

IIRC SAS used the DC-8 on route to LAX from CPH/ARN with refueling at ANC.

Micke//  

[Edited 2007-03-04 14:16:26]
Airbus SAS - Love them both

RAFVC10

Sun Mar 04, 2007 10:55 pm

Hi all,

seems that Spearair was part of the Nordic Air Group. Here are a variety of air routes operated with its DC8 (OH-SOA and OH-SOB) in the 70's.

http://www.nordicair.org/so/sosched.htm

And here are a Finish article from wikipedia about this airline. Sorry but my Finish is null.

http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spear_Air

Pomair used to fly DC6 equipment....

http://www.al-airliners.be/p-r/pomair/pomair.htm
El dia que los gilipollas vuelen, no podremos ver la luz del sol!

solnabo

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:07 pm

@ RAFVC10

Thx for links, Spear Air was a charter airline flying Finns to the Canary Islands (not an expert on the Finnish language)

Micke// Big grin
Airbus SAS - Love them both

CV990
Topic Author

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:11 pm

Hi Solnabo and RAFVC10!

Thanks for your feedback! Man I feel really frustrated that it's getting harder to get more and more information about those "good old days"!!!
RAFVC10 - Your information is very, very relevant....I noticed that Spearair flew with the DC-8-33 to FNC and that's for me absolutely INCREDIBLE and FANTASTIC!!! FNC at that time was a very short runway, TP used their 727-100's, but a DC-8?!?!?!?! Only the finnish could do that!!! To portuguese aviation history knowing that a DC-8 landed in FNC at that time is just a great achievement!!! Fantastic finnish guys indeed!
Solnabo - I agree with you...noise restrictions?!?!?!?! What's that? Noone died with that and those noises were absolutely marvelous!
Regards and thanks for your great comments

Tan Flyr

Sun Mar 04, 2007 11:54 pm

Enjoyed the old photos Jose...Thanks. Sure do miss those 8's.

Head out of FAT later today..catcha later!

AY104

Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:49 am

Quoting Solnabo (Reply 1):
Someone with info about Spearair?

I lived in Finland in the early 70's, and remember seeing the dc8's often at HEL. I believe they operated on behalf of
Keihasmatkat (Spear Tours), but I'm not sure if they were owned by them. Lots of charter flights to southern Europe. In those days, you would also see a lot of Spantax aircraft, the CV880 or 990 I don't know which. Don't even know if they are around anymore. Also, at HEL I remember seeing the odd PanAm 707, they had a service to New York, I think via Stockholm a few times a week. The Finnair DC8-62 used to operate charters a lot also, configured in 188 or so Y-class seating. Those were combis, and could be configured about 13 different ways, with or without F-class/Cargo. Also Finnair used their Caravelles a lot for charters, in all Y configuration, if I remember with 97 Y seats. A lot of night flights to the south, then using the equipment for regularly scheduled flights during the day.
I remember taking a couple of holiday packages, when you got your tickets there was also a seat allocation along with it. You really couldn't select your seat, but you were assigned a specific seat number. Lots of interesting things going on in those days. Wish I had a camera then, and took some pictures!
Sorry for all the trivia, but some might be interested.
Cheers,
AY104
The only thing a customer should expect for his/her loyalty is good service

saleya22r

Mon Mar 05, 2007 2:45 am

Spearair which existed in 1972-1974 went bankrupt after the first oil crisis in late 1973 although this was not the only factor. I flew on these DC 8's at least twice, once to Lissabon and the other trip was to Beirut believe it or not. I had booked with some friendsa ski trip to Sierra Nevada Spain but because of lack of snow that year(1973) we ended up in Lebanon..Those were the days! The two DC 8 32's were used for charters by the parent company Keihasmatkat. They flew mainly to the Mediterranean resorts and Canary Islands. On board they sold tax free moonshine called "Kihnion Kipakka"

RIXrat

Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:45 am

During the mid-70s I twice flew on a Finnair Caravelle to Majorca. Best flights I ever had, an oh those egg-shaped large windows, maybe the size of a 787. I seem to remember that there was a promo card in the seat-back saying it was the only jet that could sustain a decent glide if the engines quit.

CV990, you seem to be an old plane buff. There used to be an old Super-G Connie laying in an empty lot on the main highway between Faro and the expressway to Lisbon. Wings and gear were under a tarp and well preserved. Then they widened the highway and now it is gone. I wonder what happened to it?

CV990
Topic Author

Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:59 am

Hi!

I'm quite impressed to see that Spearair flew all around Europe, including LIS ( that's quite a surprise to me but fully understandable to know that they flew here!!! ). And Saleya22R that trip to Beirut must have been something I bet!!! RIXrat, regarding your question here are the news, when I moved from Lisbon to Algarve I remember in September 1997 seeing the L1049G still on the side of Road 125 and I actually went there to photograf the plane there. After the authorities started to widen up the Road 125 and also the place were the Super Constellation was used to build a factory the plane disapeared! Since then I lost track of the plane, but just to your curiosity this Super Constellation was originally ordered by TAP back to 1953, the registration was CS-TLA and after TAP withdrew the plane it was used in the Biafra Airlift from FAO. Here are some photos of the plane after it left TAP:

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pedro Aragão
View Large View Medium

Photo © Fergal Goodman

Derelict in a corner at FAO and converted to a bar outside FAO

View Large View Medium

Photo © Pedro Aragão
View Large View Medium

Photo © Paul J. Hooper

Freshly painted inside FAO airport and the last livery used has a bar

Regards

adizzy

Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:40 am

Quoting CV990 (Thread starter):

What a wonderful plane that once was!

However the SAS jets in the background make me want to ask....when will NW retire its DC-9's!

dc863

Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:30 am

Spearair's -8s were leased from National. Supposedly one of the Spear -8s was to have been painted orange and black.

fanofjets

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:14 am

I was fortunate to have flown on several DC-8s. Back in the 1960s, before the advent of the widebodies, these planes, along with their Boeing cousins, seemed like something right out of the future. As a child, I loved those big windows; the windows on other aircraft always seemed kind of high. The nicest DC-8s I flew on were those of Swissair, KLM (especially their -63s), and Alitalia. Crossing the globe on those airliners was pure magic - who needed PTVs and all that stuff?
The aeroplane has unveiled for us the true face of the earth. -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

tbear815

Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:10 pm

I keep going back to it, however the "ride" of the DC-8 was something I've only also felt on the DC-10. Was this something about Douglas-built aircraft? The ride of the -8 was solid. One felt this airplane could encounter anything and give its best. The original UA -8's had curtains over the windows like the DC-6/7's. The JAL DC-8 Jet Couriers had Shoji panels (in F?) and prop-style overhead berths. Available at a surcharge.

Boeing always built a winner - they still do. But the types of "Douglas built" jets is something of the past. Oh, those swans flew so beautifully!

Rod  duck 

SASDC8

Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:51 pm

I my mind there is no doubt that the DC 8 is one of the most beautiful aircrafts of all time, especially the 63s. Have had the pleasure of flying on both SAS and Spanairs DC8, and will treasure those memories for life Big grin
2-3-2 is NOT a premium configuration

WSOY

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:14 pm

Quoting RAFVC10 (Reply 2):
Hi all,

seems that Spearair was part of the Nordic Air Group

The link you found is a bogus one, it says: "PLEASE NOTE THIS SITE IS A TRIBUTE TO THE OLD AIRLINE THAT ONCE EXISTED, AND ONLY FOR SILUMATED FLIGHTS!" (sic)

The Spearair here was a brainchild of one Kalevi Keihänen. The Finns and a week in the sun were a new and exiting mix in the early 1970s. Naturally they wanted to fly cheap and Kalevi was just the right person to make it happen. He commissioned two old -30 series a/c from the U.S. with a horrific fuel consumption, it turned out later, for which he compensated partly by serving cheap Spanish alcohol on the flights. (I'm not going to go deeper into the national alcohol politics here.) He employed pilots that had met their retirement age with Finnair but still wanted to to continue flying. In the end the business folded due to Keihänen's whimsical management practices, and an outright lack of anyone being interested in things such as operational costs and accounting. In the end the crew would reportedly fly with a bag of cash to pay for the fuel in Spain.

[Edited 2007-03-05 14:31:43]
"Nukkuessa tulee nälkä" (Nipsu)