Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Security Policy VIPs V Everyone Else

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:43 pm

I'm sure we've all seen the reports about Al Gore skipping security. The new wrinkle is that the AA employee involved will NOT lose their job.

AA Employee To Be Retrained Following Gore Faux Pas

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...4b5080-2279-42ae-8f72-dd0003f71e0c

I NOW finally see my mistake.

I got fired because I ENFORCED the FAA bag regulations on a 1K at UA.

At AA you get to KEEP your job when you BREAK FAA security regulations for Al Gore.

Could there be a clearer example of how airline employees are treated when they enforce or break the rules for VIPs?

If a VIP's ass needs to be kissed, then kiss it and your job is safe. If you treat the VIP to the same security standard as everyone else your fired.

BTW for those of you who wish to know, my case is going to arbitration. It may be another year before I get to see the arbiter.

EDICHC

RE: Security Policy VIPs V Everyone Else

Mon Mar 05, 2007 10:57 pm

Genuinely sorry to hear of your plight!

When I worked fo LC at EDI many moons ago, no VIP got preferential treatment. I remember a high ranking civil servant being denied travel EDI-BFS as he was not prepared to adhere to the no-hand baggage rule in effect at the time (I must point out that this was only a 55 min flight and was at the height of what was known as "the troubles" in Northern Ireland.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:23 am

There are certain things that apply to everyone. Regulations and Security being paramount.

IMO Airlines have gotten so out of control kissing High mileage flyers rear ends and other VIPs that even those inviolable rules are now "subject to interpretation."

This puts us CS agents in a terrible position. I bore the brunt of a 1K's wrath because I refused to bend on FAA rules. This AA agent is getting a slap on the wrist and a stern talking to for breaking them.

I'm not advocating that the AA Agent ought ot lose their job over this incident. In fact I think the punishment fit the crime. I may hate his politics but I would know Al Gore is not a threat to an airplane, so that "judgement call" was wrong but not an infraction worth firing someone over. On the other hand, it goes to show the degree in which airlines have trained their employees that some rules just don't matter to some customers. It is a vague and hazy line and the airline has set up employees to make these mistakes by being so vague and hazy over the interpretation of FAA regulations.

Its the Policy that I am against.

flyorski

Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:29 am

Sorry to hear of all that you went through (and are still going through). I guess the trick must be to know how much influence the VIP has on the airline, and in the FAA.

UALPHLCS
Topic Author

Tue Mar 06, 2007 2:12 am

Quoting Flyorski (Reply 3):
I guess the trick must be to know how much influence the VIP has on the airline, and in the FAA.

Well, actually a 1K in my case ought not have ANY influence on the FAA. In his case he didn't, and thats as it ought to be.

The basic problem is that Airlines have trained employees to kiss high mileage flyer's rear ends to the point were rules that ought to be inviolable are now subject to interpretation.

FAA rules should be applied to everyone equally, regardless of status.

Where is the line now? Airlines have made it hazy. What SHOULD be clear is not all in the effort to placate high mileage flyers.

However, what I learned is that is NOT the policy of UA.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos