Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

S5FA170

RE: USAirways Meltdown!

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:57 am

Quoting Gigneil (Reply 53):
The kiosks not working hardly implies a catastrophic system failure. We did fine for 75 years before them .

That was hardly the extent of the problem. I was there, working delayed flights, with misconnects, angry customers, etc - because of the software switch.
Prepare doors for departure and cross-check.

LFutia

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:09 am

I flew ORD-PIT on Sunday and I stood in line to check in for my 4.59 flight and I got there around 3. I checked in at the kiosk at 3.40. out of 10 machines, 2 worked.

I flew PIT-ORD yesterday and some kiosks didnt work but it was a short wait. Only to find out that I couldnt pull up my reservation however an agent pulled it up and off we were.

Other than that... i'd say things went well... Although I did here an agent in PIT say that she was working a TPA flight and it kept telling her that she was in a different city.

Leo
Leo/ORD

atct

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:27 am

Hey,

This is why those of use who were raised with scareways (Half my family worked for em...past tense) knew that PHL was the armpit of the system. Its a crappy condensed airport thats always been plagued with problems. Adding flights doesnt seem to me to be the logical solution. But ohh well, IM not Mr. Parker.

Welcome to post-96 USAir Doug.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

PiedmontINT

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:29 am

I think that SHARES is running Windows Vista while SABRE was on XP, thats why nothing is working.... Big grin

richierich

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:09 am

There was no meltdown. Period.

The kiosks not working hardly implies a catastrophic system failure. We did fine for 75 years before them .

NS

That's oversimplifying it a bit, isn't it? If it were only the kiosks, it wouldn't have made the news and wouldn't have resulted in long lines at the airport. I don't know the details but it sounds like their whole system sh!t the bed, at least for a while.

I was on the US website trying different flight combinations to see what came up and it was very slow, occasionally bombing out because it didn't recognize "LGA" as an airport code, etc. Whatever, no big deal for me. But its different when you are stuck at the airport and can't get out because the system won't let you check in or find your reservation.

I hope they fix the glitches soon and get back to business.
None shall pass!!!!

ScottB

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:31 am

The kiosks not working hardly implies a catastrophic system failure. We did fine for 75 years before them

Except...the airport staffing levels for the 75 years before kiosks weren't planned with the assumption that over 70% of passengers would be checking in online or at the kiosks. Airlines did fine for decades before using computers; are you implying that if all their computers went down, they'd be just fine as well?

Quoting PiedmontINT (Reply 58):
I think that SHARES is running Windows Vista while SABRE was on XP, thats why nothing is working

Eh, more like SABRE is running System/360 while SHARES is running TOPS-20.

mah584jr

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:50 am

Quoting ATCT (Reply 57):
Its a crappy condensed airport thats always been plagued with problems. Adding flights doesnt seem to me to be the logical solution. But ohh well, IM not Mr. Parker.

The airport generates more profit for US than any other in the country, "crappy" or not. Therefore, one would expect the "logical" solution to involve adding more flights.

Quoting BMIFlyer (Reply 3):
I wouldn't call it a meltdown

Agreed, Christmas 2004 was a meltdown. These are just a few computers going funky.

SLCUT2777

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:30 pm

Quoting VS11 (Reply 72):
By the Linux reference I meant that the kiosk is running on a linux and the software is basically a customized version of a browser.

This will work, but it must be the same customization at each location. I certainly can attest that there are more web-browsers than Internet Explorer. We use Linux for our data gateway, but all of our GIS workstations that run ESRI Arc-GIS are Windows powered. MS Windows is the only OS that ESRI now works with (even though a number of people wish they would bring back their UNIX support group!). Hopefully servers are redundant at a few other hubs than just at PHX. While a government operation is different than an airline some of the rules stay the same. We have our systems here in SLC replicated at NRCS near DFW and at the Farm Service Agency Management Office (KCMO) located near MCI. Also they are replicated at Rural Developments big St Louis (STL) operating center. One has hick-ups or goes down, the others pick up the slack. When hurricane Katrina shutdown the National Finance Center (NFC--located near MSY) operations a year and a half ago, all of us had to pick up the slack and cover for them for nearly 6 months until USDA could get NFC back on line completely and get all of the payments and payroll processed.

Quoting VS11 (Reply 72):
Talking about Operating Systems and platforms would be a total off-topic deserving sending us to the leper colony  smile 

checkmark  Couldn't be better said. This could start something even more lively than a Boeing vs. Airbus battle!  smile 
DELTA Air Lines; The Only Way To Fly from Salt Lake City; Let the Western Heritage always be with Delta!

lincoln

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:28 pm

Quoting ILOVEA340 (Reply 44):
The only this that comes to mind is that we should perhaps have authorized our flight to run below capacity for a day or two but then again, that doesn;t really make much economic sense.

No, it makes perfect sense. Given the PR problems that US already has... from the nearly universal "US Scareways" to the lingering memories of pilot walkouts, baggage meltdowns, and generally indifferent customer service limiting capacity reduces the load on the system (and the staff) for the first day(s) of operation... If everything goes as planned you've lost a little bit of money but you aren't going to have people talking about how crappy of an operation you're running for the next 10 years.

Parker should know this -- there are probably still legions of people who refer to "America Worst" -- at one of my mom's former jobs she was a travel coordinator, and people would pay fare differences out of their own pocket to avoid flying HP. I know their reputaiton improved significantly, but once you loose a customer, it's very difficult to get them back, and anyone really blame the customer? (At least I hope not, customer service SNAFUs are the reason I'll never do business with Delta or Avis again)

I'm neck deep in a project for the Commonwealth of Virginia right now realted to the Capitol restoration -- I'm in Richmond all week and I'll be back for another week in about two weeks. In reality, I probably could have flown home tonight based on where we think the project is but everyone involved -- the client, my employer, and myself realize the importance of getting it 100% right the first time. "Will this work" shouldn't cross the user's mind- it should be as far as they're concerned a light switch. When they hit the button, the system works. The user shouldn't be wondering "when I hit the button, will it work?" Yeah, it costs a little bit more but reliability is more important.

Lincoln

[Edited 2007-03-07 13:31:57]
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

flyboyaz

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:12 pm

Quoting Richierich (Reply 54):
That's oversimplifying it a bit, isn't it?

That's all it was...the computers worked fine, it was the CUSS (common use) kiosks that weren't working correctly. Unfortunately since kiosks have become so big with airlines, staffing was reduced and we simply didn't have enough staffing to handle the amount of passengers needing manual check in.

Again despite where the problems are, the new system works very well....the media was there of course looking for any problem. Even if there wasn't a problem, they'd find one!
Catch a ride on a smile!

airfrnt

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:33 am

Strangely enough, I flew three flights on US the last four days, and didn't have a single problem (including a flight into CLT and a flight out of CLT). Outside of sitting at the runway for 5 minutes for final weight and balance numbers it was actually a very pleasant experience.

In fact, I have been very very critical of the legacies over the last few years, and I was making a point to post here on how great my first US trip in 7 years was. Great service, no problems catching earlier flights, etc. For my outbound flight I checked in online, for my return flight yesterday, I checked in at the airport with no more then a 15 minute way and a 3 hour earlier flight.

I didn't even hear about the US problems until I was listening to the radio back in DEN.

Revelation

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:22 pm

Quoting Richierich (Reply 15):
I'd have expected somebody with a computer background to be more sympathetic. In my experience, rolling out new software of any kind is rarely a seamless operation.

Actually, we're probably the most critical. It's kind of like a master chief going to a restaurant and getting a bad meal: chances are the chief will be less tolerant than the average diner.

It pisses me off as a software professional to see others screw up a software project. It gives the whole profession a bad name, and it helps foster the tolerance of screw ups, which many of us fight to not let happen.

It comes down to the attitude that it's ok to screw up, when in fact it's not that much harder to do it right. It lets managers decide they really don't have to fully fund testing efforts, because the public is used to computers screwing up.

Quoting Junction (Reply 16):
If it was only the kiosks that wouldn’t work, I still don’t see what the big deal was.

Because when they add kiosks, they subtract humans. That's the whole reason the kiosks exist: to save labor costs. If the kiosks aren't working, there aren't enough humans to deal with the ensuing mess.

What I'm interested to know is what is so special about these kiosks. What did they screw up? The software for the kiosks themselves? The software for the comms gear that lets the kiosks connect to the network? The configuration of the network connections? Inquiring minds want to know!  Smile
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

Revelation

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:50 pm

Quoting VS11 (Reply 43):
With new software in particular, regardless of how much testing you do, you are always bound to have problems -- look at microsoft, with the deep pockets they have, they are always having problems with every single new release.

Without wandering too far off topic, for many of us, Microsoft is the worst example of a company that could do things a whole lot better, but is content to release software they know is riddled with bugs, ranging from simple logic errors to incredibly stupid architectural decisions. The reason they have deep pockets is they don't spend enough on quality and never have. Since they are the most widely used software vendor, their tolerance for sloth has given the public that computers are crap, when it's really that the software is crap. And in turn this lets US Airways get away with doing a crappy job in this case.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own

nzrich

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:00 am

Its a shame this has happened as from what i have experienced and heard , the US Airways experience has been getting better .. Im sure that when this is all sorted and things get back closer to normal this will all be forgotten .. I have to say that from what i have experienced on US Airways the staff have been fantastic ..
"Pride of the pacific"

whappeh

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:06 am

Quoting AirFrnt (Reply 60):
I didn't even hear about the US problems until I was listening to the radio back in DEN.

Thats because they're being greatly overhyped.
-Travel now, journey infinitely.

bakersdozen

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:09 am

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 64):
Thats because they're being greatly overhyped.

haha unlikly. We were traveling from Buffalo to Charlotte to Nassau today... well supposed to be

Our flight left Buffalo two hours late because of the system problems. We therefore missed our connection in Charlotte and EVERY other flight out was full... Now we are stuck here until tomorrow at 11am. Overhyped, if you call waiting 24 hours at the airport for another flight overhyped... then yes it is overhyped...

whappeh

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:28 am

Quoting Bakersdozen (Reply 65):
Our flight left Buffalo two hours late because of the system problems. We therefore missed our connection in Charlotte and EVERY other flight out was full... Now we are stuck here until tomorrow at 11am. Overhyped, if you call waiting 24 hours at the airport for another flight overhyped... then yes it is overhyped...

Concidering all the people that are traveling, a minor connection between Buffalo through Charlotte is an acceptable loss, inspite of the fact that *gasp* an Anetter was onboard. Fact of the matter is, a 2 hour delay is not a big deal concidering the feat US Airways just did. Your life didn't end, and you're still getting to Nassau. If thast the worst thing that happens in your life this year, I think you'll be alright. I'll say it again: OVERYHYPED.

micstatic

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:53 am

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 66):

Concidering all the people that are traveling, a minor connection between Buffalo through Charlotte is an acceptable loss, inspite of the fact that *gasp* an Anetter was onboard. Fact of the matter is, a 2 hour delay is not a big deal concidering the feat US Airways just did. Your life didn't end, and you're still getting to Nassau. If thast the worst thing that happens in your life this year, I think you'll be alright. I'll say it again: OVERYHYPED.

you may want to consider using the spell checker

whappeh

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:57 am

Quoting Micstatic (Reply 67):
you may want to consider using the spell checker

I was in class and in a hurry, compare that to all my other posts... if you judge a person simply because of one bad spelling post then you guys need to lax up.

bakersdozen

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:42 pm

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 66):

Are you serious? What connection do you have with US to defend them so blindly? A feat? maybe they should have done it correctly by a) getting their shit together and testing the changeover/get the kinks worked out before applying or b) Putting more staff on duty to compensate for their known computer problems. You can't seriously tell me that they are in the right here? A 2 hour delay IS a big deal, especially when half the flight is stuck in their connection city for 24 hours and can't get to their destination. They didn't get another plane ready to fix their problem, they just said nope, come back tomorrow. They are selling a service they can't provide at this moment, pure and simple.

No of course my life didn't end, stop being so dramatic, but I am now paying for a condo in Nassau I am not using, as well as missing a dinner with friends we had hoped to attend.

This is just one example of missed flights out of hundreds that US has screwed the pooch on. Stop saying it is overhyped when you have no basis for your thought, think before you talk.

Quoting Whappeh (Reply 68):
I was in class and in a hurry, compare that to all my other posts...

I can see by this comment and your profile you're not very old, and you seem to display this in your attitude. I'd like to see your opinion on this if you had real responsibilities (other than video games and counterstrike) and it was your money being wasted. Give it a few years.

Anyways this is my last post about this, I'm not going to turn this into an argument/debate it's not worth it, I shouldn't have even said this much to your reply.

mah584jr

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:56 pm

Quoting Bakersdozen (Reply 69):
A 2 hour delay IS a big deal

Agreed, but these things happen on all airlines. They happen a lot more with US, but trust me, it's not nearly as bad as in previous years.

fxramper

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:09 pm

When non-reving or company travel, I avoid PHL and US hubs like the plague.  drunk 

PITSpeedbird

Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:42 am

I think this would have never happened if US still maintained a major hub in PIT.
The facility supercedes that provided by PHL. Whenever I fly through that airport I am
usually met with delays on taxiways waiting for arriving and deaprting traffic as we cross
active runways.

I think its time for ACAA to get back into bed with US and lower their airport fees!

With the lower fares US is now offering from PIT and the introduction this summer of increased
transcon service, does anyone forsee a buidup of PIT as a major US fortress?

- PITSpeedbird
you leave. Arrive before

HPRamper

Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:46 am

Quoting PITSpeedbird (Reply 72):
With the lower fares US is now offering from PIT and the introduction this summer of increased
transcon service, does anyone forsee a buidup of PIT as a major US fortress?

US simply doesn't have the aircraft at the moment, and I don't see it ever happening again unless the ACAA lowers its fees drastically. Those summer transcons are just that-seasonal. If permanent daily routes start popping up, then it will be time to take notice.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos