Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Cory6188
Topic Author

CO Ranked #1 Most Admired US Airline

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:41 pm

So they finally beat WN, after WN had been ranked #1 for many years, and by a bit of a margin, too - 7.86 vs. 7.08. Furthermore, they ranked #10 on Quality of Products amongst all industries and companies. Way to go!

http://money.cnn.com/magazines/fortu...ed/2007/industries/industry_2.html

Congrats to CO! They definitely deserve it!

I also found it kind of interesting that NW was #9 on the list of "Least Admired" for Quality of Products. I've never flown NW before, but from what I've read, it doesn't seem that bad.

[Edited 2007-03-06 16:04:05]

STT757

RE: CO Ranked #1 Most Admired US Airline

Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:48 pm

They have kept their high service standards while everyone else has been slashing meals, pillows, blankets etc.. It's a winning strategy.

Congratulations to CO!
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

EvilForce

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:01 am

CO is the best mainline carrier hands down.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

EWRCabincrew

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:04 am

Quoting STT757 (Reply 1):
They have kept their high service standards while everyone else has been slashing meals, pillows, blankets etc.. It's a winning strategy.

Thank you all for choosing us. All the more reason to keep doing what we do.
You can't cure stupid

Cory6188
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:08 am

I was just browsing through the rankings a little further - DL was dead last, with a 3.50! What the heck are they doing so badly to get such an awful ranking?

SpencerII

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:11 am

Intersting for a comapny with such a tumultuous history. Think about all the poor souls in the 80's
who got shafted by the "proud bird with the brass a$$"

EvilForce

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:18 am

Eight key attrbutes of reputation / Industry rank

Innovation / 1
People management / 1
Use of corporate assets / 1
Social responsibility / 1
Quality of management / 1
Financial soundness / 2
Long-term investment / 1
Quality of products/services / 1

Wow, they pretty much walked away with 1st place all around. Only SWA beat them in financial soundness.
I bought a Venus Fly Trap today and was going to name it "Republican" but the fly trap is beneficial to the environment.

Lemurs

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:18 am

Quoting SpencerII (Reply 5):
Intersting for a comapny with such a tumultuous history.

History is just that...history. The problems CO had in 1992 aren't so relevent to 2007.

I'm glad to see Alaska at #4 by the way. That's a tremendous performance for them. They're neither low-cost or large, but they've managed to carve out their niche and do it better than anyone could expect. Fantastic showing.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary, and those that don't.

JakeOrion

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:40 am

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 4):
I was just browsing through the rankings a little further - DL was dead last, with a 3.50! What the heck are they doing so badly to get such an awful ranking?

Oh I can name a few things, but follow this link on my trip reports thread about it from December '06:
Delta Airlines: Travel Could Have Been Better (by JakeOrion Jan 5 2007 in Trip Reports)

Ironically, I flew on CO home, great service, great help, loved it. They deserve #1.
Every problem has a simple solution; finding the simple solution is the difficult problem.

EWRCabincrew

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:03 am

Quoting SpencerII (Reply 5):
Think about all the poor souls in the 80's
who got shafted by the "proud bird with the brass a$$"

Was there for it all. Still here, loving every minute of it. The employees and the people who fly us are the reason I stayed.
You can't cure stupid

burnsie28

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:18 am

If you look at the top 20 overall though, CO doesn't make the list, only WN. Odd.

swiss-airplane

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:18 am

Congratulation Continental Airlines and thank you for all the voters.
The company is really great and I'm proud to be a part of Continental Airlines in the european markets

mt99

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:22 am

This is indeed the case. The choose to focus on custumer service even when they were in bankruptcy.
Step into my office, baby

FDXmech

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:29 am

Quoting Lemurs (Reply 7):
History is just that...history. The problems CO had in 1992 aren't so relevent to 2007.

I disagree. I worked for CO from 1987 - 1992, the bad years. CO during those years was reviled by the general public which makes its turnaround all the more gratifying. The problems CO had during those years IS relevant in that they learned the hard way how to successfully turn around and run an airline. Congratulations Continental.
You're only as good as your last departure.

atct

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:39 am

As an Elite OnePass member and citizen of the great republic of Texas. Sweet! Good to see the airline I love to fly is doing well.

Food + Decent Service + Pillows/Blankets do add up. (even if the food is a small cold cut sandwich, it still beats paying scareways $5 for the same thing!)

Congrats CO and CO Employees!

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

codc10

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:46 am

Good to see CO on top, that reflects the hard work and tremendous effort their people have been putting in for years. Way to go!

As for DL, what a shaft! I always thought Delta was one of the most, if not THE most, innovative carriers especially in the use of technology to improve the passenger's experience. Quality of Management, Quality of Product, and People management all should be higher than they list, and this is coming from a CO guy! That is certainly not indicative of the strides DL has made in the last two years.

At any rate, congrats CO.

[Edited 2007-03-06 18:47:54]

jacobin777

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:58 am

..do you know what are on those pillows and blankets?

...those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it... Wink
"Up the Irons!"

tu154

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:14 am

Very impressive considering that they were the worst of the worst not too long ago.

CO employees should be proud.
FIRST ON THE ATLANTIC.....FIRST ON THE PACIFIC.....FIRST IN LATIN AMERICA...FIRST 'ROUND THE WORLD.....PAN AM!!

ANCFlyer

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:20 am

No question. CO outshines the other Legacies by light years.

Very well done CO.
FOR THOSE THAT FOUGHT FOR IT, FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW OR UNDERSTAND

cba

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:25 am

My favorite aspect of Continental: their product is always consistent, both short and long haul. I know that regardless of aircraft or route, that I'll same high standard of service on any CO flight.

IAHFLYR

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:06 am

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 9):
The employees and the people who fly us are the reason I stayed.

You are so right.....the employees I know say the exact same thing!  Smile Thanks Bill for all you do, even though I have yet to find you on a flight of mine I know you and your co-workers are simply THE BEST

Another example of the "WORK HARD FLY RIGHT"

BRAVO.....my choice of airline for the last 7 yrs exclusively and have yet to be let down in almost any manner!  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

ContinentalAUS

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:12 am

Congrats to Continental, they certinately deserve it. Hard work pays off and Continental has my business!
Sic'em Bears

deltajet757

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:24 am

Congrats to CO. It really goes to show when you give people good service. Even if CO can be a little pricey they offer pretty good service.

But what's with DL? How did it end up at the bottom of the list? I think DL should be on the higher end with AA towards the middle or bottom. I flew on AA to Hawaii not too long ago and the outbound flight was great but the return was dreadful. The first class on AA's 763's is very comfortable but the first class on the 752's is awful. The seats are old, they don't recline too well and the plane smelled like barf. Not to mention the cabin crew was about the worst of the worst. Good landing in LAX though. I then flew on an MD-83 to SFO and it had better seats than the 752 but it was a lot louder.

-DeltaJet757
FLY DELTA JETS

AviationAddict

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:25 am

I just got hired by Cape Air in BOS and I can't wait to take advantage of the CO-9K Codeshare benefits!!! Way to go CO, from what I've heard over the past few years it's an award that is very much deserved!

Adam T.

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:46 am

Awesome job Continental! They are my airline of choice now after flying them to Houston this past winter.....very professional airline and service. I am so jealous of my Mom flying them tommorow, though CO is her airline of choice now (we are both OnePass members now).

Great job from a happy customer!

777law

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:28 pm

Quoting EvilForce (Reply 2):
CO is the best mainline carrier hands down.

bigthumbsup 

Yep and as a Skyteam Elite member I dread thinking of a UA - CO merger, with the new airline likely moving to Star. CO is the only US-based Skyteam member worth flying any more . . . I fly them almost exclusively for US domestics.

Great job CO! Now promise you'll stay in Skyteam. . .  worried 
If its not a Boeing I ain't going

tristanhnl

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:35 pm

Quoting Cory6188 (Reply 4):
DL was dead last, with a 3.50! What the heck are they doing so badly to get such an awful ranking?

I love CO and agree it should be ranked first, after having tried all the legacies multiple times, but I do question the means by which the rankings are obtained. What exactly is the population who voted, and is it representative of flyers nationwide (and even internationally). If the majority of voters coincidentally are from New York and Texas....you understand where I'm going with this. So many factors affect the voter pool which in turn affect the results. And I do think DL deserves a higher ranking. They've made a significant improvement over the last couple of years.

Quoting Jacobin777 (Reply 16):
..do you know what are on those pillows and blankets?

The reason i'll flip the pillowcase inside-out and even then only use it for lumbar support. I bring my own neck pillow.

A bit off topic, Bill, I know you do EWR-TLV quite a bit, but do you do EWR-HKG periodically? I'd love to meet you when i'm on this flight  Smile

Anyway, a big congrats to CO. To all the employees, thank you very much! You all truly "Make Reliability a Reality"! Keep it up! I am one very satisfied CO customer.
Hong Kong: truly Asia's world city!

typhaerion

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:35 pm

I will add my two cents into the mix even though it is unwarranted. As a CLE resident all my life growing up under the pattern from the days of the proud bird with the golden tail to the CO Means Business as of late, it has been both an honor and a privilege to associate such a fine carrier with home.

Congrats to all of the CO family on a job well done. Keep 'em flying and we will be with you!
For some, the sky is the limit. For us, it is only the beginning... -- Jack Hunt

captaink

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:52 pm

Congrats to CO. Good Airline

P.S. Black sheep US Airways didn't too bad either.. That is for all the haters out there.  Big grin
Look Up

deltaownsall

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:09 pm

Not to rain on the parade here but how could they possibly get #1 for innovation!? I feel like they are a great airline and I know that they are consistently ranked among the finest, but CO has always struck me as possibly the MOST conservative/boring airline along with NW...and god knows DL has been much more creative and fresh with everything from their brand image to revised (and appreciably flexible) reservation policies. And for everyone complaining about flight attendant problems on ANY airline, please realize its all random luck when youre flying any US carrier...you could just as easily get a rude crew on any CO flight as you might on any US/DL/UA/AA/NW flight...seriously.

laca773

Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:09 pm

Quoting CODC10 (Reply 15):
As for DL, what a shaft! I always thought Delta was one of the most, if not THE most, innovative carriers especially in the use of technology to improve the passenger's experience. Quality of Management, Quality of Product, and People management all should be higher than they list, and this is coming from a CO guy! That is certainly not indicative of the strides DL has made in the last two years.

I too think it's great Continental got # ONE!!!! Congraulations to them. They do go above and beyond for their customers and overall they realize the customers are the ones that pay their paycheck and give them extra money from dividends when they turn a good profit!

I do have to say like quite a few of you, I don't understand how DL can be # 10 & AA # 5. Rightfully so, DL has had beyond their fair share of problems but they have come so far, have humbled themselves and realize that customers are what keep them in business, and pay their salaries. It's nice to see all the improvements they have made in their inflight catering products. I look forward to the day they bring back the SONG BOB catering options they offered before they meshed Song back into mainline.
DL flight crews do make an effort to make sure their customers are happy and don't treat them like second class citizens like AA does. DL's inflight product [in my opinion] is far better than AA's, they have even added little extras in the main cabin on their international flights that the majority wouldn't even consider!
Perhaps this may have something to do with if this was an online survey or the people who participated are OneWorld, orr Advantage "Elites" which they do have quite a few even though they are the one's who gripe the most.
I see AA's domestic inflight product on non-transcon flights to be similar to the likes of US and WN and on this WN being the hands down winner. Even their transcon product [minus JFK and even that can be questionable] is pretty shoddy.

Just my two cents.
LACA773

ABQ747

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:08 pm

Quoting EWRCabincrew (Reply 3):
Thank you all for choosing us. All the more reason to keep doing what we do.

I wish all flight attendants had an attitude like yours. CO is now my favorite airline, but UA is a close 2nd.  Big grin

EvilForce

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:09 pm

Quoting DeltaJet757 (Reply 22):
But what's with DL? How did it end up at the bottom of the list?

Perhaps if Delta works real hard this year they might be able to overtake NW.

RichPhitzwell

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:19 pm

Ive been shopping around other airlines for the last year, trying each one. CO has become the one I go to first.

Reasons:

-Dont need no stink'n IFE for cross country flights (Didnt use continental for confusion). either I have my book, laptop or just staring out the window.

-Food, I dont carry cash...so paying onboard doesnt work for me, and a 6hr flight is too long for just snacks.

-Generally ontime

-Gererally go where I need to go at the times I want

-Usually among the least expensive flights

The only problem I had with them had to do with half of my luggage not arriving with me. They offered to deliver it to my house for free or give me a $50 voucher if I picked it up. I thought that was abit inappropriate, they should have done both for my troubles.
Nonav.com kinda like Whiners except the lights are on and the pimps been paid

malmoaviation

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:36 pm

For me CO is the best US airline, and they are the only US airline flying to ARN today.

rgds!

ska

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:44 pm

I like Continental. They've been better to me than American, Delta, United, and ESPECIALLY Northwest, which happens to be the worst airline I've ever flown on. However, my vote for "best American airline" would have to go to Hawaiian. On-time service, helpful staff, and flight attendants that are quite pleasing to the eye.  veryhappy 
Don't hatchet your counts before they chicken.

Valcory

Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:18 pm

Quoting Burnsie28 (Reply 10):
If you look at the top 20 overall though, CO doesn't make the list, only WN. Odd.

Well there are two different criterias, industry champions and the top 20. Industry Champions "These companies are the most admired in there sector according to their peers. Continental was #1 in the airline industry." Top 20 "For the 20 most admired companies overall,Fortune's survey asked business people to vote for the companies that they admired most from any industry." WN was #5

Elite

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:53 pm

And well deserved too. I've tried CO many, many times and I have to say that every time the service is excellent! Keep up the good work!

IAHFLYR

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:05 pm

Quoting DeltaOwnsAll (Reply 29):
CO has always struck me as possibly the MOST conservative/boring airline along with NW

I'd say that AA takes the lead on MOST conservative/boring airline.

and god knows DL has been much more creative and fresh with everything from their brand image to revised

I would certainly agree with you on that point......sort of like the many different livery you can see at any one time at any DL HUB city, so creative might not be so good from that angle.

but how could they possibly get #1 for innovation!?

Just an FYI from the peanut gallery:

I know that passengers for the most part would not know this and in some cases could care less, and survey wouldn't take this into account, but CO has been quite innovative on the flight deck and advanced equippage of their fleet and flight technical side for many years, long before some airlines could even spell RNAV......the gap has closed in recent years but CO is still on the leading edge in many ways, even if that innovation would not have been what was used in the admired airline voting.  Smile
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

flight7e7

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:13 am

Not to rain on the parade here but how could they possibly get #1 for innovation!? I feel like they are a great airline and I know that they are consistently ranked among the finest, but CO has always struck me as possibly the MOST conservative/boring airline along with NW...and god knows DL has been much more creative and fresh with everything from their brand image to revised (and appreciably flexible) reservation policies. And for everyone complaining about flight attendant problems on ANY airline, please realize its all random luck when youre flying any US carrier...you could just as easily get a rude crew on any CO flight as you might on any US/DL/UA/AA/NW flight...seriously.

Well as a newly elite member of CO (good bye UA and AA) rest assured, while poor and surly service is a standard on other US legacies, it is generally an exception, and I mean a rare exception on CO. That is the problem, the others, AA/DL/NW/UA/US operate on exactly that-pure luck. Simply put-CO is where it is at because of their commitment to consistency and quality of service. Sometimes, standardization and conservatism can be beneficial as proven here with CO. Way to go, keep it up.....and fly proud.....

Cheers!  airplane   bigthumbsup 

Goldenshield

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:15 am

I'm surprised that no one was amazed/stiffled/angry that SkyWest, the only regional to make that list, beat out 4 of those airlines.
Two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.

BlueSky1976

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:32 am

Congratulations to Continental! My favourite North American livery. Now, could You guys please, please, pretty please start serving WAW nonstop???
Proudly avoiding 737 MAX since 18.11.2020.

COewrAAtysAZ

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:34 am

I absolutely love this company!

Smartly answered by:

Quoting FDXMECH (Reply 13):
The problems CO had during those years IS relevant in that they learned the hard way how to successfully turn around and run an airline. Congratulations Continental.

EXACTLY!!!
Continental Airlines: Trabajar con empe�?��?�±o, Volar con Pasi�?��?�³n

worldtraveler

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:42 am

Quoting CODC10 (Reply 15):

Companies in BK rarely are perceived as well as they actually are. There are a number of attributes measured in this ranking that does involve how well the business is run and by definition a company in BK is not winning.

However, there is a time factor in the airline industry and all of human civilization for that matter. Companies and countries have risen and fallen. Remember when people said the sun never sat on the British Empire?

This is Continental’s award to enjoy – they earned it. But I hope no one there is smug enough to think that they can’t lose it. DL was once regarded as the best airline in the US in many metrics and for 1999 was the most profitable airline in the world. DL will be back; what they have accomplished so far says they are well on the way. And if there was a lifetime achievement award in the airline industry, I would still have to give it to AA. Despite ups and downs, they have done a better job of delivering on what they said they would be - through thick and thin - than any other US airline.

Congratulations to the people that have turned CO around. Everyone loves a rags to riches story.

STT757

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:15 am

Not to rain on the parade here but how could they possibly get #1 for innovation!?

Their trans-Atlantic 757 strategy, although they were not the first they definately have done the most. Now AA, DL and NWA are copying this strategy

Blended winglets, first airline to operate 757 winglets. All of their 757-200, 737-700 and 737-800s have winglets. Their new 737-900ERs will be delivered with winglets, their 737-900s will be equipped with winglets as will some of their 737-500s and 737-300s.

First carrier to operate trans-polar flights with twin engines, EWR-HKG was the longest nonstop (roundtrip) flight when launched.
Eastern Air lines flt # 701, EWR-MCO Boeing 757

Valcory

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:16 am

Speaking of innovation,adding to what have already listed.How about upgrading the GE-90 from 90,000lbs of thrust to 94,000lbs of thrust,changing the fan blades to get better performance etc etc

worldtraveler

Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:17 am

you mean like what DL has already done w/ its Trents in order to operate JFKBOM?

IAHFLYR

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:16 pm

Quoting WorldTraveler (Reply 46):
you mean like what DL has already done w/ its Trents in order to operate JFKBOM?

butthead 

b52murph

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:47 pm

Quoting Cory6188 (Thread starter):
So they finally beat WN, after WN had been ranked #1 for many years, and by a bit of a margin, too - 7.86 vs. 7.08. Furthermore, they ranked #10 on Quality of Products amongst all industries and companies. Way to go!

Which is interesting in itself, in that WN is ranked #5 of all industries/companies, behind GE, Starbucks, Toyota, and BershireHathaway. Not quite sure why there's the discrepancy.

Quoting DeltaJet757 (Reply 22):
Congrats to CO. It really goes to show when you give people good service. Even if CO can be a little pricey they offer pretty good service.

But what's with DL? How did it end up at the bottom of the list? I think DL should be on the higher end with AA towards the middle or bottom. I flew on AA to Hawaii not too long ago and the outbound flight was great but the return was dreadful. The first class on AA's 763's is very comfortable but the first class on the 752's is awful. The seats are old, they don't recline too well and the plane smelled like barf. Not to mention the cabin crew was about the worst of the worst. Good landing in LAX though. I then flew on an MD-83 to SFO and it had better seats than the 752 but it was a lot louder.

-DeltaJet757

In the last 3 months I've flown AA, DL, WN, and UA; in the last 2 years you can add CO (ok, express), NW, and US to that list. While I love WN, DL and AA both have the up on them in Y-class amenities...and they know it. Last WN flight, during the safety brief, the FA stated "it's a $1,000 fine for smoking in the lavatories, and we at Southwest know if you had that kind of money to burn you'd be flying American."

Just flew DL twice over the last few days---most friendly and helpful ground staff and cabin crews I've ever seen. Certainly not worthy of a dead-last rating. My last CO experience was less-than-pleasurable; if only because it was an ERJ from DEN-CLE and another ERJ CLE-MHT. DEN-CLE is waaay too long for an ERJ.

Based on these experiences I'd have to rank as DL, AA, WN, US, CO, NW, UA dead last (a topic for another post).

b52murph

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos