Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

bhxdtw
Topic Author

BE Dumping BRS!

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:42 am

Couldnt find this in a search but it appears BRS will be losing a few services !!  

Quite a shame for those who work at BRS ... Hopefully they will get repositioned soon or find new jobs..

Heres a press release I got from a reputable source within the FLYBE/BACON camp..

(maybe U2 or FR could get in on these lost services ??)

BRISTOL AIRPORT

For the last 3 months, Flybe has carefully examined the economic viability of all routes, airports and services across the UK and Europe as part of its preparation for the acquisition of BA Connect. After much consideration, Flybe has come to the difficult decision that, with the exception of the long-established Jersey route, the airline will cease to operate from Bristol Airport. This is Flybe's only proposed base closure. Flybe has today commenced its statutory 90 day consultation process with affected staff.

The change to routes will take effect from 25 March 2007

As a result of yesterdays completed acquisition of BA Connect, Flybe now employ 193 staff at Bristol airport. This morning (March 6th), Senior Flybe staff informed individuals and representatives of recognised Trade Unions of the consequences of the decision to close the Bristol base.

Flybe is committed to consulting and working with individuals and employee representatives, including representatives of recognised Trade Unions. The company wishes to retain as many of its 49 Pilots, 68 Cabin Crew and 15 Engineers currently based at Bristol through redeployment or relocation to nearby bases at Exeter and Birmingham. Through these offers Flybe hopes to keep job losses to a minimum.

Flybe's chosen business model is not to operate ground handling services across its network and there is hence no operational reason for Flybe to retain in-house Ground Services function at Bristol. Where redundancies are necessary employees will be supported with enhanced redundancy terms as well being provided with professional job search assistance.

Routes affected by today's decision to cease operations from Bristol are those to Paris, Frankfurt, Dusseldorf, Glasgow and Edinburgh. BA Connect announced the closure of routes from Bristol to Zurich, Milan and Munich last week. Passengers booked on these flights from 25 March onwards will be given alternative Flybe flights from other airports or recommendation with British Airways or offered a full refund if no suitable alternative is available.

Mike Rutter, Chief Commercial Officer at Flybe commented:

"My team and I took a long hard look at BA Connect's loss-making operations out of Bristol and regretfully could not make a viable economic case for their retention. This will be the only base closure resulting from the acquisition of BA Connect.

"We will be offering all affected staff relocation opportunities and affected customers alternative flights or full refunds. We apologise for the inconvenience but hope that customers will understand that without swift action there would be no chance of stemming BA Connects chronic losses"

"Flybe commended the management team at Bristol for a long and productive relationship, and confirmed that Flybe's decision is no reflection on the work of the Airport team".

Best Regards

Joe

[Edited 2007-03-06 17:46:48]

rdwootty

RE: BE Dumping BRS

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:51 am

The Flybe situation at BHX is not much better,drastic cancellations of routes that have operated for may years LYS,MAD,BER,and so on .Interestingly BCN cannot make its mind up. BA says it runs Flyeb sdays it does not at the moment. GVA reduced to winter only.Lots more and they have kept it very quiet. Only got onto the BBC yesterday and yet we have been having cancellations for the last three weeks.

Joost

RE: BE Dumping BRS!

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:05 am

Some of the dropped routes are very interesting to see if they return, and by what carrier. The CDG capacity will be absorbed by easyJet, who is about to launch a second daily flight on the route. EDI and GLA are well covered by U2 too (3 daily 319s).

FRA and DUS are more interesting. I wouldn't be surprised if LH would at least launch a 2-daily Avro-service FRA-BRS, as they can offer connections at FRA. DUS is more interesting. BetterFly is reported to work fine for LH, but I wouldn't hold my breath for LH DUS-BRS.

Luchtvaartnieuws mentions as dropped:
MAN-MAD
EDI-HAM
BHX-BCN
BHX-MAD
BHX-TXL
MAN-VIE
MAN-LYS
MAN-ABZ

I expect EDI-HAM to be taken over soon by one of the many carriers that base either in HAM or EDI. But who will take MAN-MAD or BHX-MAD?

bhxdtw
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:05 am

Quoting Rdwootty (Reply 1):
The Flybe situation at BHX is not much better,drastic cancellations of routes that have operated for may years LYS,MAD,BER,and so on .Interestingly BCN cannot make its mind up. BA says it runs Flyeb sdays it does not at the moment. GVA reduced to winter only.Lots more and they have kept it very quiet. Only got onto the BBC yesterday and yet we have been having cancellations for the last three weeks.

true..
we're having a nightmare at the moment trying to figure out whats going on..
I have to admit I never thought I would see the BA tails dissapear from BHX wether it was BA mainline, Maersk or BACON... Sad day for the regions..

But... realistically... this has been brewing for a while... especially at BHX...

Joe..

Hope BRS bounces back !!

dhhornet

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:55 am

It is a shame after Byrmon (BA),Brymon European, BA Express, BA CitiExpress & BA Connect (along with GO) built up BRS as it is today, and now that's it!
In the beginning the sky was the limit. Ok with hindsight we can say why did BA sell GO? or why did Brymon not merge with them ? Why did they go fleet wise with EMB's when they got them, and not the 146s or other larger regional jets?

WOW at least are still operating with the original Brymon spirit and friendly staff.

I still think FlyBE will end up operating in BA colours as a franchise carrier?

Oh well that's the way it goes!

MCO2BRS

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:09 pm

So, if I understand this correctly, neither Flybe or BAconnect will be operating out of BRS after the merger is completed? Are there any routes that either carrier operates exclusively, that will now essentially disappear? It is sad that they couldn't find some sort of compromise, by means of reduced service or something.

acelanzarote

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:41 pm

Quoting Joost (Reply 2):
But who will take MAN-MAD or BHX-MAD?

Perhaps if you are lucky Clickair will start the routes. What sort of passinger numbers
where there on the routes? Maybe Air Nostrum with a CRJ900 as well???

cheers

Sad day for BA in the Regions, feel sorry for those that will end up out of work
once FlyBe try to thin the headcount down a bit/lot....
from the Island with sun and great photo's.. Why not visit Lanzarote

757ops

Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:51 pm

Quoting Joost (Reply 2):
I expect EDI-HAM to be taken over soon by one of the many carriers that base either in HAM or EDI. But who will take MAN-MAD or BHX-MAD?

This is true! I cant see Iberia taking over the routes as they have never really served destinations outside London as they use BA through OneWorld but maybe Spanair will cash in on this? or one of the many low cost airlines!! Could be good for Click the Iberia Low-cost model

Joost

Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:12 pm

To me, they also seem to be fine LCC-routes, as Madrid offers a nice mix of business and leisure. Maybe Jet2 will start MAN-MAD? Or bmiBaby from BHX? Or Vueling? I think there is no doubt that they will return, but when and by who is interesting  Smile

bigvince76

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:04 pm

Could BMI Regional come to BRS? Now that would be great!

bhxdtw
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:14 pm

As has been said, this could be a great opportunity for airlines such as BMI /BMIbaby and other LCC's...
in my opinion... BMI should concentrate on the regions a little more and build up where BACON and FlyBe are not..
for instance... BRS will possible end up losing connections to various cities once BACON go.. so wouldnt this be a great opp for BMIbaby to take up ??
and as much as I would like to believe it, I dont expect to see IB at BHX anytime soon..

just a couple of my pence..

Joe

caaardiff

Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:30 pm

Quoting BHXDTW (Reply 10):
BRS will possible end up losing connections to various cities once BACON go.. so wouldnt this be a great opp for BMIbaby to take up ??

BmiBaby have a presence in CWL, just over the water. And with a strong presence at BHX, BRS would never work.

antdenatale

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:15 pm

Guys, I think we are missing the point here with the comments of who may take over the routes.

The reason they are being dropped is that they do not make any money not because Flybe does not want them anymore.

I cannot see any airline picking up loss making routes after they have been dropped. If BA cannot make them work what chance would LH or Easyjet have. Ok, overall costs may well be lower on a LCC, but can you honestly see Easyjet filling a A319 on a Daily rotation to Frankfurt or Munich.

Sometimes we need to look at the bigger picture and not just on sentiments.

BMED

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:32 pm

Quoting Joost (Reply 2):
MAN-ABZ

Could be a route for the airline below

Quoting Bigvince76 (Reply 9):
Could BMI Regional come to BRS? Now that would be great!

Maybe from GLA and EDI they might as the airline has a base from both and offer a different product from U2.
Living the jetset life! No better way to be

Joost

Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:47 pm

Quoting Antdenatale (Reply 12):
I cannot see any airline picking up loss making routes after they have been dropped. If BA cannot make them work what chance would LH or Easyjet have.

Well, if you look at the bigger picture, you see that there actually are plenty of routes that BA couldn't make work, and other carriers could! Just look at all the routes that easyJet has actually launched, that no other carrier would even consider flying in the past. And for LH, they have a feed in FRA and MUC that can support a route, whereas BA only could rely on O&D traffic. And here we saw BA flying with aircraft like the ERJ that has a considerably higher seatmile cost than easyJets 319s. 2 years ago, BA dropped the MAN-AMS route (3 daily ER4); Jet2 took it over with 2 daily 733s, more than doubling the number of seats - and selling them.

AIR MALTA

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:07 am

Quoting Joost (Reply 14):
Well, if you look at the bigger picture, you see that there actually are plenty of routes that BA couldn't make work, and other carriers could! Just look at all the routes that easyJet has actually launched, that no other carrier would even consider flying in the past. And for LH, they have a feed in FRA and MUC that can support a route, whereas BA only could rely on O&D traffic. And here we saw BA flying with aircraft like the ERJ that has a considerably higher seatmile cost than easyJets 319s. 2 years ago, BA dropped the MAN-AMS route (3 daily ER4); Jet2 took it over with 2 daily 733s, more than doubling the number of seats - and selling them.

BA can't make the regions work because of a higher cost base and because these flights won't be connected to BA's hubs. I mean how do you expect these to work if people constantly book FR or U2 whithout checking BA's fares (even if they are cheaper). People outside London do not want the frills, they want to fly for 1 pounds and they don't care about BA. Having a LCC operation through BAConnect did not work for them so they dumped it.

Why is AF not having any flights from MRS, NCE or LYS to LHR??? Because it does not work for them. BA Has loads of flights to the French regions. So it is the other way round actually.
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

antdenatale

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:09 am

Quoting Joost (Reply 14):
Jet2 took it over with 2 daily 733s, more than doubling the number of seats - and selling them.

Just because the flights are full does not mean they are making money out of them. I could start a service tomorrow from MAN to AMS and give every seat away free. The flights are full and being used but I am not making anything out of it. It all comes down to yield. If BA or Flybe don' t think there is money to be made there, then you have to believe them. I do not believe any airline would pull a flight that was making money.

Joost

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:21 am

Quoting Antdenatale (Reply 16):
If BA or Flybe don' t think there is money to be made there, then you have to believe them. I do not believe any airline would pull a flight that was making money.

I believe BA or FlyBE when they say that they, with their business model, cannot make money on the route.

However, by using a different business model, other carriers (like LH, U2 or whoever) might well be able to serve the same route on a profitable basis.

I don't have any information on the profits of Jet2 on the AMS-MAN route and it was only an example. Perhaps it's a loss-making route, who knows? But in the bigger picture tha tyou refer too, you cannot disagree that there are plenty of routes that do fit a LCC or hub-feeder business model, and don't fit a high-cost regional carrier without network feed.

antdenatale

Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:41 am

Quoting Joost (Reply 17):

I do agree with you in some respects, sometimes we get emotional about certain routes and as enthusiasts we think that airlines should be running routes that we think would be popular. The airlines know their business better than anyone and certainly more than most of us on this board.

COEI2007

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:01 am

EI had been talking about a UK base, so perhaps we may see EI pick up some of the dropped routes??? Forget BE, come on EI!!!

dhhornet

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:40 am

Quoting Antdenatale (Reply 12):
I cannot see any airline picking up loss making routes after they have been dropped. If BA cannot make them work what chance would LH or Easyjet have. Ok, overall costs may well be lower on a LCC, but can you honestly see Easyjet filling a A319 on a Daily rotation to Frankfurt or Munich.

Yes!
EZY do Berlin from BRS. What is the difference? With Munich, as well as business people you are in a great region for leisure travellers.
The catchment area is massive.

How about MGL 2 x daily? One for WOW?

As for not making money. Umm... I just think Flybe can't be arsed with BRS (along with BA years ago), and are looking at the bigger picture.
Bases at EXT,SOU, and BHX come into it. I bet the late EMB deliveries and fleet/crew/staff probs helped pull the plug on BRS. They are of course keeping the cream Bacon safe routes around the country. I do think all the dropped flights at BRS will be picked up by other operators.
CWL will just be a pit-stop destination and never a big base. If they don't get the pax at CWL they will be gone and use the aircraft better elsewhere.

BMI in any form at BRS. No way! Look at the way CWL has gone-or not!

antdenatale

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:47 am

Quoting DHHornet (Reply 20):
CWL will just be a pit-stop destination and never a big base. If they don't get the pax at CWL they will be gone and use the aircraft better elsewhere.

BMI in any form at BRS. No way! Look at the way CWL has gone-or not!

As much as it pains me to say it, I think you are right. Although I would love to see Flybe offer more flights from Cardiff it is not going to happen. We may get a few 'scraps' like an Aberdeen or another Newcastle, but I don't think they will expand any further than that.

Ant

dhhornet

Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:58 am

Ant
I think Flybe are just testing the water with CWL and with the take over distraction I think they will be off in a shot after a few months. Don't be surprised, look at whats just happened at BRS!

DHH

antdenatale

Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:12 am

Quoting DHHornet (Reply 22):

That is my feeling as well to be honest with you.

PlymSpotter

Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:47 am

Quoting DHHornet (Reply 4):
WOW at least are still operating with the original Brymon spirit and friendly staff.

I do though wonder who they will be getting to handle them after the FlyBe/BA pullout? Air Southwest, Eastern, SN Brussels and possible another one or two are handled by BA currently.

Quoting DHHornet (Reply 20):
How about MGL 2 x daily? One for WOW?

I would really doubt that. Currently Air Southwest are exploring NQY as a niche market, the last route they launched out of BRS was NWI, but that was axed and instead a new flight is soon being started on the NQY-ORK route. However, it could be a great opportunity for them on some of the other routes, but I think they would need to look at other aircraft to do this which would lose their current fleet commonality. The DHQ4 would be a start for them, their current Dashes are non Q versions and are very noisy, perhaps they may even consider a small regional jet if they were to make such a move, but unfortunately their base at PLH though could restrict this from taking place.

Dan Smile
...love is just a camouflage for what resembles rage again...

Pieinthesky

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:01 am

Quoting AIR MALTA (Reply 15):
People outside London do not want the frills, they want to fly for 1 pounds and they don't care about BA.

What utter tripe, and a ridiculous generalisation.

The world still spins outside of that over populated village with the hell-hole airport to the west of it.

David_itl

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:06 am

Quoting BMED (Reply 13):
Quoting Joost (Reply 2):
MAN-ABZ

Could be a route for the airline below

Quoting Bigvince76 (Reply 9):
BMI Regional!

How so? They already operate 5 daily weekday services on MAN-ABZ and I believe 2 services on both Sat and Sun; I bet they cannot believe their luck that their competitor has given up the ghost!

AIR MALTA

Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:39 pm

Quoting Pieinthesky (Reply 25):
What utter tripe, and a ridiculous generalisation.

You are right for this one! I am sorry... But let's face it... I know a lot of people who consider BA as poshh airline. They would never have the idea to check BA's fares and might ending up buying more expensive U2 or FR tickets...
Next flights : BRU-ZRH-CAI (LX)/ BRU-FCO-TLV (AZ)

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos