cylw
Topic Author

YLW To Get Rwy Extension - Apt. Manager Delusional

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:30 am

Quote:
Kelowna Runway Extension
by Wayne Moore - Story: 27387
March 06, 2007 / 9:02 am

Government funds are anticipated soon for a runway extension at the Kelowna International Airport.
The extension to 9,000 feet would allow for direct flights from Kelowna to Europe.
Airport Manager, Roger Sellick, told City Council Monday the $2.7 million project rests with the federal government.
Sellick says he is awaiting word from Ottawa to agree to match funds already pledged by the provincial government.
He hopes to have the extension complete by 2008.
Sellick believes the initial demand for direct flights to and from Europe will come from skiers.
Meantime, Sellick says passenger traffic continues to rise at record levels.
The airport handled 15% more passengers in January than it did during the same period last year. A record 1.2 million travelers used the Kelowna Airport in 2006.

Although I agree with the runway extension (YLW can be restrictive on a +35 C day), the reason they're giving out is a bunch of BS. Who is going to start flights to Europe??? I'm sorry, Sellick, but the demand just isnt there. They may get the odd charter, but I'd be surprised by even that. Plus the terminal/apron couldn't handle a 767 or A330. What a joke.

EXAAUADL

RE: YLW To Get Rwy Extension - Apt. Manager Delusional

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:34 am

Perhaps Condor might operate a couple for flights like they do to White Horse

ACDC8

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:41 am

Quoting CYLW (Thread starter):
YLW can be restrictive on a +35 C day

I agree on that one.

Who is going to start flights to Europe???

Someone will, eventually.

but the demand just isnt there.

Not yet, but it will be.

They may get the odd charter, but I'd be surprised by even that

My money is on UK charters in the winter for ski traffic at Big White and Silver Star. But not until 2010, at the earliest.

Plus the terminal/apron couldn't handle a 767 or A330.

That's all part of the expansion plans.

What a joke.

That's what people said 15 years ago about non-stop YYZ flights.

Fact is, YLW (and the whole Okanagan) is booming right now. The amount of Australian's, Briton's and New Zealander's at the local ski hills is phenomenal. It's really only a question of when, not if, YLW will start getting service like this.

[Edited 2007-03-06 21:42:31]
A Grumpy German Is A Sauerkraut

cylw
Topic Author

Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:02 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 2):
That's what people said 15 years ago about non-stop YYZ flights.

Fact is, YLW (and the whole Okanagan) is booming right now. The amount of Australian's, Briton's and New Zealander's at the local ski hills is phenomenal. It's really only a question of when, not if, YLW will start getting service like this.

I know the Okanagan is doing very well, but with YLW's proximity to YVR & YYC (and their already existing non-stops to Europe), I cannot see a sked adding non-stops to YLW for a long while if ever.

It would take alot of work just to get the terminal/apron up to being able to handle widebody aircraft and the pax that come along with them. I'd say it'll be at least 5 years before we'd see anything larger than a 757 in YLW.

ACDC8

Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:36 pm

Quoting CYLW (Reply 3):
but with YLW's proximity to YVR & YYC (and their already existing non-stops to Europe), I cannot see a sked adding non-stops to YLW for a long while if ever.

That's what everyone said about the YYZ flights back in 1990/91. I doubt it will be a schedule carrier, most likely a charter company doing 1x weekly.

Quoting CYLW (Reply 3):
It would take alot of work just to get the terminal/apron up to being able to handle widebody aircraft and the pax that come along with them. I'd say it'll be at least 5 years before we'd see anything larger than a 757 in YLW

The last upgrade took alot of work as well, but it will be done evetually. Here is a link to the 202 masterplan for YLW ...

http://www.kelowna.ca/CityPage/Docs/...Master%20Plan%202025%20Summary.pdf

... again, it's not a question if, rather when.

YLWbased

Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:23 pm

YLW is growing crazy, there might not be enough demand today, but it will one day.

i didn't expect i will see 3 757 in YLW in the same day 3 years ago, it happened today!!! 1 Harmony and 2 Sky Service!
Hong Kong is not China. Not better or worse, just different.

timeair

Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:06 pm

LOL ..by 2008 huh?? Maybe YKA will be in the loop for those European Charters before YLW, as the "proposed" YKA Runway extension should be complete fall of 2007 to 8500'.....let the Battle begin!!! LOL
You can't get there from here.

YLWbased

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:17 pm

Quoting Timeair (Reply 6):
LOL ..by 2008 huh?? Maybe YKA will be in the loop for those European Charters before YLW, as the "proposed" YKA Runway extension should be complete fall of 2007 to 8500'.....let the Battle begin!!! LOL

i highly doubt it, YKA is such a small airport when compare to YLW. YLW currently got atleast 50 regular daily services with 3 regular international (seattle) and seasonal to Honolulu, Cancun etc. YAK is nowhere near it.

YLWbased

Wed Mar 07, 2007 4:18 pm

i highly doubt it, YKA is such a small airport when compare to YLW. YLW currently got atleast 50 regular daily services with 3 regular international (seattle) and seasonal to Honolulu, Cancun etc. YAK is nowhere near it.

ACDC8

Wed Mar 07, 2007 5:49 pm

My money's going on YLW. Don't forget, YLW has a much bigger catchment area then YKA, plus it would be alot easier for you guys to take the 2 hour drive down to YLW to catch your flight ....  Wink

The last runway extension back in 1990 was completed in just a matter of a couple of months. What a great sight that was. The extension went from the threshold of (at the time) RWY 33 towards the south. Everytime one of the CP 737's took off, they'd sit at the end of the runway, spool up and blow dust and dirt all over the place.

ZBBYLW

RE: YLW To Get Rwy Extension - Apt. Manager Delusi

Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:04 pm

One of my class mates works at the airport and apparently companies such as ZOOM would be the type of carrier to fly such a route. As far as wide body he has also worked the ramp for Air Transat A310s and they want to up grade to an A330 "apparently" for some of their flights. Dont know where they fly to but they do/did/seasonal flights out of YLW. As for Harmony apparently they are doing decently out of YLW-HNL so who knows. There are alot of people in the valley YYF, YLW, YVK, ZAM and YKA that could catch flights out of YLW if they were here so who knows. All I know is this is the last thing we need for some of the students at our school who have trouble landing their 172s in shorter fields because they are used to the 7000ft YLW provides. O well such is life.

On a quick side note I did see alot of a/c down on the ground at one time, we had 4 757s two private ones, Harmony and NW (with winglets) and i saw a Sky Service 319 a AC E190 and a few WS 737s on the ground at once, haha busy little airport.  Wink Also aperently someone said they had 3 NW 757s on the ground, I have only seen two at one time.

[Edited 2007-03-07 10:06:43]
Keep the shinny side up!

ACDC8

Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:09 pm

Quoting ZBBYLW (Reply 10):
All I know is this is the last thing we need for some of the students at our school who have trouble landing their 172s in shorter fields because they are used to the 7000ft YLW provides. O well such is life.

That's why you send them up to YVK ...  Wink Which reminds me, which one of you was doing circuits up here at 10:30 tonight? Some of us need to get up in the morning ....  Silly

ZBBYLW

Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:18 am

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 11):

Well I know it was not me. As I have not been doing any night flights in a while, but ill keep that in mind and do my circuits in YYF or YLW.  Wink
Keep the shinny side up!

SkydrolBoy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:36 pm

Plus the terminal/apron couldn't handle a 767 or A330

Actually the terminal/apron could handle a 767, when the realigned the gates just before winter gate 1 was set-up to be able to handle widebody a/c, either a A310 or a B767.

And seeing how getting money from the government usually goes, its better to ask early as they usually twiddle their thumbs for quite awhile before making any decisions. The terminal expansion should be under construction soon. Rumor is that there will be a white spot and an orange Julius added to the terminal facilities. Just remember that 5 years ago there wasn't even one jetway in YLW and now there should be 5 up and running very shortly, they were getting ready to install the 5th one when I flew out a week ago.

VonRichtofen

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:34 pm

Didn't you hear?? I heard from a friend of my uncles friends sisters boss' retarted step-son who is a janitor at WS corporate HQ that WS is going to order 787's and will fly double daily YLW-LHR!! This will slaughter AC's YVR-LHR and YYC-LHR!!

Signed,

Westjet kool-aid drinkers.

On a serious note, I suppose PERHAPS a ski charter into YLW, but nothing more than that for a while. Hell YEG only just got an LHR flight last Oct.

Kris

cylw
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:04 pm

Quoting SkydrolBoy (Reply 13):
Rumor is that there will be a white spot and an orange Julius added to the terminal facilities.

Thats great news! Skyway has got to go! Hopefully them put a Tim's in too!

ACDC8

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:06 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 14):
Didn't you hear?? I heard from a friend of my uncles friends sisters boss' retarted step-son who is a janitor at WS corporate HQ that WS is going to order 787's and will fly double daily YLW-LHR!! This will slaughter AC's YVR-LHR and YYC-LHR!!

Signed,

Westjet kool-aid drinkers.

I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic.

On a serious note, I suppose PERHAPS a ski charter into YLW, but nothing more than that for a while.

Most likely, we'll just have to wait and see.

Hell YEG only just got an LHR flight last Oct.

That's because nobody would want to go to YEG in the first place ...  Wink

ZBBYLW

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:26 pm

Quoting CYLW (Reply 15):

Thats great news! Skyway has got to go! Hopefully them put a Tim's in too!

Amen! That place is over priced and the food sucks.

I would be interested in who plans this flight, we will have to wait and see i guess.
Keep the shinny side up!

VonRichtofen

RE: YLW To Get Rwy Extension - Apt. Manager Delusi

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:40 pm

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 16):
I'm assuming that you're being sarcastic.

Hehe, yep. Just poking fun at the kool-aid drinkers who go on about a rumoured new route and new planes (remember the 767 rumour?) for WS (both which never materialize) and how these new routes are going to cripple AC Big grin

Quoting ACDC8 (Reply 16):
That's because nobody would want to go to YEG in the first place ...

Good point Big grin Big grin

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos