Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

kubus

RE: Correct Non-rev Behaviour?

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:42 pm

I had to ask this. On a recent flight on US to LGA, I was seated in last row, plane was almost full with couple empty middle seats only. Anyway, as I'm sitting at the gate I see F/A walk up in full uniform, flashes the badge and gets a boarding pass. Once I boarded, I saw the same F/A putting her bag down in a aisle seat one row up from me and rushing off to the galley to chat up with the crew. As the plane filled up, my row was full but where the Non-Rev F/A sat the middle seat was open. The lady that sat in my row in the aisle asked the non-rev if she could take her seat. The response was no, I'm seating in that seat. To which the lady said shouldn't paying customer be taken care of first? Later on it turned out that the non-rev's seat was taken anyway by paying customer so the non-rev took the jump seat in the back. What really got me going is what the non-rev was doing the whole time we were boarding. First she had her bag on the seat and one under the middle seat (she had aisle). When the guy showed up she took the bag on the seat but not the one under. I just assumed she will be seating in the middle. Then the guy for the middle seat shows up. So she comes back, while on the cell phone, and reaches over the aisle guy to grab her bag from under the middle seat, finally she sights, and say can the guy get it for her. She then goes back to the galley, while still talking on the phone, with her bags. I can hear galley chatter the whole time boarding takes place. Once the doors where close, the front F/A makes her call 1R, no response from the back. About 3 min later another call from the front to arm doors, still no answer. I can see the front F/A starting to check on the lap belts, and there still no one from the back coming out to even close the bins. The chatter is still on thou. The front F/A is about to row 16 (this is on A319) when the back F/A finally comes out and get this still talking to the non-rev.
At first, I was feeling for the F/A, she has to get to work and has to wear the uniform, so obviously the lady that ask about the seat just thinks about her own comfort. However after I saw how much problems the non-rev is causing I felt that in this case she should never get a seat in the first place and probably shouldn't be on the flight since she was causing the other F/A to not do their job.
I've seen other non-revs and none of them did what this one did. I've even see non-revs help out with the flight.
I've had the non-rev working my return leg. It was a rough flight so there wasn't a drink service so I couldn't see her do her work.

Halcyon

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:48 pm

Quoting Starlionblue (Reply 49):

Possibly nowadays, but I distinctly recall one day when i was 14 when the captain called and asked if a pax named "Lucas Necessary" could please push his flight attendant call button. The FA found me and moved me to first, and my former seat mate asked me how I got to go up there...I said..."Um...unaccompanied minor?"

Now that I'm 18, they might not think anything of it, but as you can see from my profile pics, I do look quite young. If you are polite enough, though, no one should care.

Lucas  Smile

brandonfs88

Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:20 pm

When i was non reving on XJ out of DTW, i had a 7 hour lay over in DTW and about the only reason i had my AL badge around my neck was so i could get the employee discounts at the stores and resturants  Wink, i usually tried to keep it under my shirt or put it in my shirt pocket while flying, but once when i was heading home, the FA saw that i was Non rev and was asking my questions about my home airport ( mainly like if planeside bags will be at baggage claim or in the jetway), so right after that about 5 people were asking my questions. Made the flight seem very long.

malaysia

Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:23 pm

Quoting Copter808 (Reply 36):
Gee, I think I've dated her! I'll bet she was Asian! A few of them I've dated seem inclined to get very jealous for no apparent reason.

You guessed right, even some went as far as thinking I was 5 minutes late from work and then accused of having a relationship with an airport K-9 Dog, while all accusation examples ran out.

zippyjet

Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:49 pm

Quoting Kiwiandrew (Reply 5):
When I was a Travel Agent I was always told by my employer to be very discreet as non-rev is a privilege not a right . I would never tell any pax as I could understand their annoyance at finding out I had paid considerably less for the same seat and service , but I would always quietly advise the cabin crew so that they were aware if they ended up with a preferred meal shortage or a "seating issue" ie couple not seated together or something like that then they could always shift me if necessary

checkmark   bigthumbsup 

Very well said! Thank You. I respect whom ever I'm flying with and try to get the 411 on their policies and proceedures. Including dress codes. Thank God, in five years I can't remember any non-revs (fellow employees in our industry) who even caused me any thoughts of cleaning their clock. 95% of the time, they've been gracious and smiling.
Now, when it comes to buddy pass passengers (not employed in our industry) the numbers change. I'd say there's a 40% that represent the low end of passenger behavior and common courtesy. With them, you can take them out of the hood or trailer park but you can't take the hood or trailer park out of them. I'll never forget the time I had at the ticket counter, a young lady who didn't like our queing proceedures with our kiosks and copped some attitude. I smiled and apologized at this miscreant diva and I just so happened to then work her flight at the gate. Guess where she got seated? If you guessed 31-E, ding, ding, ding! You hit the nail on the head. And, I gave Ms. diva wench a little history in her "PNR." Technically, we are supposed to report any non-rev misbehavior. I didn't go that far but, I made sure she was banished to 31-E or F which is the dumper seats on a 717 or DC-9, MD-80 etc. The row that does not recline is by the engines, has no window and where you can get the eau de honeybucket smells! The moral to this story? Treat others as you would like to be treated and you'll be just fine.

iairallie

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:07 pm

Quoting Kubus (Reply 50):
the front F/A makes her call 1R, no response from the back. About 3 min later another call from the front to arm doors, still no answer.

How do you know there was no answer? The chime only rings when you call not when you pick it up. How do you know they were calling the aft they could have been calling the mid or the cockpit calling fwd. As to the pax wanting the nonrev's (sounds more like a deadhead though) seat the woman could have stood by at the gate for a aisle and she would have had dibs over the employee. She didn't so she got her seat assignment and that is her seat like it or not.

Quoting QantasA380 (Reply 46):
The only thing any employee has a 'right' to get from their employee is their salary/wage, anything beyond that is a privilege/bonus.

Good grief we've all been through this one a million times here at anet. Every job has it's perks and benefits like discounts on merchandise, company picnics, healthcare, and so forth. When you pick one company over another to work for you take all these little bit of compensation into consideration. The airlines have decided to offer travel benefits as a perk and incentive to work for them. If an airline stopped they would be less competative than the other airlines at attracting quality employees. Passengers aren't subsidizing anything. Non-revs only get seats that would otherwise go empty. The extra cost in fuel to host the employee is negligible. It costs the airline almost nothing. In fact the non-rev fees at many airlines more than cover any costs incurred. It is also a cost the airline factors into the overall compensation package.

Since the liquid baggie nonsense I've been wearing my uniform as REVENUE passenger when my company commercials me to work. It is too much hassle to repack all my bags every couple of days depending on whether I'm working a flight or just commercialling. Sometimes I'll change in the bathroom before boarding because I hate drawing attention to myself but I also hate trying to wriggle in/out of panty hose in a tiny (usually dirty) bathroom stall so often I don't and just keep my jacket on or take off my wings. So it's important not to make any assumptions about a person in uniform. Odds are I have more paid full fare miles than the guy or gal sitting next to me even though I work for an airline so I have as much or more of a right to that window/aisle seat as anyone else.

WYG737LVR

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:24 pm

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 54):
Treat others as you would like to be treated and you'll be just fine.

Well said! I have travelled non-rev a couple of times now (thanks to my in-laws), and I was told to dress appropriately, and to basically blend into the wood work. Both times that I've flown non-rev, there always seems to be someone (also non-rev), who wants know when they can start boarding, and demand J-class if it is available. I have always waited to be called and have flown J-class both times, while the windbags get stuck in the back. The last time I was originally given a Y class boarding pass, and lo and behold, a widow of an employee starts harassing the counter staff and I am asked to return the Y class boarding pass in exchange for a J class pass. I hope the windbag liked the middle seat of the last row.

It can't be said enough!

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 7):
Rule #1 of non-reving: BLEND.

Rule #2 of non-reving: BLEND

Rule #3 of non-reving: Do not talk about non-reving in the presence of revenue customers.

Cheers!

zephyr98

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:25 pm

As a non-rev, I have always learned 4 things.....

1. Dress nicely, just in case I get bumped.

2. Pretend it takes a while to get my carry on's, and then assist the FA's with cleaning the cabin on a turn around flight !!!

3. Never tell anyone you are non-reving

4. Always treat the crew like they are supposed to be treated, listen to announcements, be ready to assist in any case, but never let anyone (other than crew) know that you work for an airline.

lamedianaranja
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:36 pm

Quoting JRadier (Reply 13):
I recon it's on the loadsheet?

Hi Jurgen, KL has the non-revs printed on the PIL, Passenger Information List. 1 copy goes to the cockpit, 2 copies to the cabin crew. So they know exactly who you are and where you are.

Any non-rev flights planned btw?

baw716

Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:07 pm

Quoting ADXMatt (Reply 47):
If there are 8 F/A jumpseats and say only 6 are being used by "working" F/A and all pax seats are filled with revenue passengers I don't see why an off duty/qualified person should not be able to use that seat. It's not like they're making the working f/a stand during t/o and landing. The working crew still have their seats.

I appreciate your point; however, there are times in which the pilot tells the cabin crew and passengers to sit down NOW. I've seen F/As literally run for their jump seats. Of course, we got bounced around but not as bad as I think the pilot was thinking...the only thing I know is that when a pilot tells the cabin crew to do something and follows it with the word NOW emphatically, things happen pretty fast. I wouldn't want to be the F/A that could not get to a jump seat because there's a non-rev in the seat.

Now while I admit that the chances of this are small, immediately following passenger safety, the crew's safety is paramount in the minds of the cockpit and cabin crew. This is why I am against non-rev's being in F/A jump seats. Cockpit jump seats are different, since pilot protocol is to remain belted in the jump seat unless the Captain releases the jump seater to find a seat in the cabin and since pilots and only a few others are permitted jump seat authority and only at the discretion of the Captain, I don't worry too much about those individuals.

Hope that clarifies things a little
baw716

eskimo1

Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:12 pm

I always like to have non revs onboard no matter where they are. I think they are a great resource in case of an emergency or situation that might require an extra hand or two, even if it is something as simple as keeping an eye on a UM on one of those flights where you have 4 or 5 in the summer!

aerorobnz

Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:26 pm

First and foremost I try and travel as a passenger not as staff. At my home airport that is difficult because I know most of the ground crew I work with and visa versa, but everywhere else it is easier to travel incognito. Also the method of Non Revving that NZ uses is very good because the other passengers are unaware who is staff and who isn't - because boarding passes are issued at check in, not at the gate. For other airlines I've non revved on, the requirement is that all Staff must be the last passengers on the aircraft so that any 'upgrades' can be done subtly by the cabin crew as I board the aircraft.

malmoaviation

Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:27 pm

Several of my mothers friends think those who fly non-rev fly free! She said "No, we pay a fee and the same taxes as you when we fly" and they just answer "No, you fly free, my other friend said that..."
But the dress-code is natural, you don't wear any white-trash clothes at an airport anyway. I usually wear dark jeans, and I've seen a flight attendant wearing jeans here in Sweden. Typical northern Europe clothes is jeans, that's why many SK non-revs is wearing jeans.

JRadier

Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:00 pm

Quoting Floridaflyboy (Reply 39):
I had something similar happen, although I was revenue. My girlfriend is an FA for DL, and I was on a flight where one of her close friends was one of the FAs, and she recognized me and brought me an extra of one of the desserts they were serving up in first class (I was in Y). I thought it was kind of unfair to the passengers around me.

Not exactly the same, but still. I recently flew ZRH-AMS with my dad and we got seated in C, however not enough KL C-class meals were available so we were offered a generic swissport C-class meal, which is actually bigger. Made for a few stares unfortunately.....

Quoting QantasA380 (Reply 46):
The only thing any employee has a 'right' to get from their employee is their salary/wage, anything beyond that is a privilege/bonus.

Like others said above, they are part of the secondary working conditions, just like days off, paid sick leave, medical insurance etc etc etc.

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 58):
Hi Jurgen, KL has the non-revs printed on the PIL, Passenger Information List. 1 copy goes to the cockpit, 2 copies to the cabin crew. So they know exactly who you are and where you are.

Thank you, I never really knew that. Of course I knew that they knew where the non-revs are, but not how.

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 58):

Any non-rev flights planned btw?

Always  Wink. No dates yet, but last week of april/first week of may will probably see me on a KL flight to either NYC (and then on to SXM) or direct SXM (but it's the start of a vacation, so it will be hard to get on that one.). If only that photo in a past 'self-pic' thread would work I would know who to look out for besides a blue uniform and blond hair.

chuchoteur

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:21 pm

Working for an aircraft manufacturer, everybody thinks that we're allowed non-rev priviledges, which is just not the case, we pay our way like everybody else!

I have in the past been asked by F/A's in the past if I'd mind sitting next to a nervous pax, or change seats to allow people to be seated together (we get issued corporate workwear so when travelling for business it does give the game away), and that has never bothered me.

I can understand why non-rev pax may not wish to discuss the subject, but on occasions I have sat with non rev guys/girls, and it has always made for good discussions, and alleviated the boredom of some flights!

UALPHLCS

Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:53 pm

I read the thread from flyertalk and it was less about the non-rev and more about the F/A. It was the F/A that was ignoring the revenue pax.

Clearly that was wrong. But don't blame the non-revs for it.

When I flew either on company business or personal I was always dressed appropriately, many time better than the revenue passengers now-a-days.

I did not annoy the CS agents working the list. If a customer struck up a conversation with me about what I do I told them and when they asked if having "free" flights was nice I told them it wasn't what it was cracked up to be. This happened more often then not while my 6'5" frame was wedged in a middle seat, so the point was well understood.

Seen and not heard was the rule of thumb. And I was content just to be on the plane. UA was very fastidious about non-revs being the last served in F and C class. This was understood and expected.

As someone above mentioned it's a privilege not a right.

Some however, just don't get that.

lamedianaranja
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting JRadier (Reply 63):
last week of april/first week of may will probably see me on a KL flight to either NYC (and then on to SXM) or direct SXM (but it's the start of a vacation, so it will be hard to get on that one.). If only that photo in a past 'self-pic' thread would work I would know who to look out for besides a blue uniform and blond hair.

I try to avoid the direct SXM like the plague because it's a difficult flight to handle at the gate. Lots of non-revvers and a circle flight so seating is a real headache. I'm usually in the C/D area handling the EUR flights.

The self-pic threads are so popular but I only posted once, now I'm easily recognisable by my a.net key cord and a.net name label on my bag  Cool

fxramper

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:30 am

I'll be non-reving for FX again on Monday, have reservations for WN and AA since it's the holiday for college kids to travel.

Have never flown WN.

JRadier

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:46 am

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 66):

I try to avoid the direct SXM like the plague because it's a difficult flight to handle at the gate. Lots of non-revvers and a circle flight so seating is a real headache. I'm usually in the C/D area handling the EUR flights.

It's not my preferred option either, I usually don't opt for flights like the SXM. I'll probably fly via NYC (which is the plan anyway, but depending on other factors such as school). I don't have any European flights planned until August, but who knows, something might come up.

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 66):

The self-pic threads are so popular but I only posted once, now I'm easily recognisable by my a.net key cord and a.net name label on my bag Cool

Plus I will probably see you at the AMS meet (this month Big grin) so I know who to look for when flying  Wink

malaysia

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:04 am

I hate the manifests sometimes on some Asian carriers, cause some Stewardesses will see my airline that I am linked to then go right to me during flight and bother me about their personal drama issues with a boyfriend who works for my airline. It happened 3 times already and I was being asked favors to rat him out or get him in trouble for treating her bad... What a coincidence, I first thought oh when they ask if I work for this airline... they would maybe be interested in other things, not drama. I even am blended in, just casual clothes and no ID showing, but they go by the manifest and go right to me and ask me "Do you work for this airline.... you know I have a bf at your airline and ask if I have seen him with other women at his work place (totally different stations).

Icelandair

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:19 am

Quoting Malaysia (Reply 69):
I hate the manifests sometimes on some Asian carriers, cause some Stewardesses will see my airline that I am linked to then go right to me during flight and bother me about their personal drama issues

I flew some Asian airline known for great service and was completely ignored by the whole female crew. Thanks again to the nice purser who finally decided to give me something to eat.

aa757first

Fri Mar 09, 2007 8:34 am

Quoting BAW716 (Reply 59):
I appreciate your point; however, there are times in which the pilot tells the cabin crew and passengers to sit down NOW. I've seen F/As literally run for their jump seats. Of course, we got bounced around but not as bad as I think the pilot was thinking...the only thing I know is that when a pilot tells the cabin crew to do something and follows it with the word NOW emphatically, things happen pretty fast. I wouldn't want to be the F/A that could not get to a jump seat because there's a non-rev in the seat

True. However, some exits don't have any flight attendants sitting next to them during the flight. For example, if a 757 goes out with four passengers, its probable that either 2L/2R or 3L/3R don't have a flight attendant seated next to them. Wouldn't it be good to have a flight attendant there for an evacuation?

copter808

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:27 pm

Quoting Lincoln (Reply 41):
On the other hand, I've been behind several non-revs in line (primarially CO) and they've either cut their business with the gate agent short, or swapped places with me in line so that they went after all of the revs... I thought this was nice, respect the paying customer and all that jazz

Well, since we're not going to get on the airplane (at least with CO) until all the revenue passengers are assured seats, we might as well let them up the podium first! We're all coing to arrive at the destination at the same time anyway.

david21487

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:20 pm

I agree that you shouldn't attract any attention to yourself when you non-rev, but it’s not the worst thing in the world if a revenue passenger finds out that you work for the airline. Don't announce it, or hang out with your co-workers behind the gate podium before departure, but I don't think it's a huge deal if someone sees your ID as you're putting it in your carry-on. Just dress appropriately and portray a positive image of yourself and the company, and revenue passengers couldn’t care less if you’re an employee or not. People know that airline employees enjoy the benefits and perks of free and reduced price travel, and they don't (or shouldn’t) have a problem with it.

If you want to help the crew clean the aircraft, just stay in your seat until all of the passengers get off the plane. There is no reason to “pretend” that you have a reason to be there. If the crew says its okay, the opinions of other passengers don’t matter.

I’ve been on flights before and told people sitting next to me that I work for the airline. I don’t initiate conversations with people on airplanes, but if I am talking to someone and they ask me what I do, I don’t lie or try to redirect the conversation. That is, however, something that you have to do at your own risk as there are some people who insist on telling you how much your airline sucks and how many times they’ve been inconvenienced, but I’ve never had that happen to me before. Most of the people that I’ve talked to were fascinated. They ask me about my job and the travel benefits, and I don’t have a problem explaining and answering questions about it. Some employees don’t care to discuss it with others while on vacation, and that is certainly understandable.

But that’s just my opinion on the matter, I guess.  Smile

VonRichtofen

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:40 pm

What's your guys take on this situation:

Non-reving home from YVR. Got one of the last seats (J class). Sat beside a frequent flier who basically figured out that I was somehow staff on stand-by. He then asked me if I was an employee on stand-by and if I was waiting for a seat. I'm not going to lie to him so I told him I was, he was cool about it though and started asking me questions about ramp ops etc. Obviously he had an interest in the industry. I felt a bit odd but I'm not going to make up some BS story when he figured out on his own. I wasn't making it obvious, what gave me away was me getting a seat at the last second when everybody else had already boarded.

Kris

baw716

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:06 pm

Quoting VonRichtofen (Reply 74):
Non-reving home from YVR. Got one of the last seats (J class). Sat beside a frequent flier who basically figured out that I was somehow staff on stand-by. He then asked me if I was an employee on stand-by and if I was waiting for a seat. I'm not going to lie to him so I told him I was, he was cool about it though and started asking me questions about ramp ops etc. Obviously he had an interest in the industry. I felt a bit odd but I'm not going to make up some BS story when he figured out on his own. I wasn't making it obvious, what gave me away was me getting a seat at the last second when everybody else had already boarded.

No worries, mate...you did the right thing. As I said, most frequent travelers know that non-rev's get on at the last minute and he asked you a direct question. Lying would have been a bad thing, since he probably would have not responded well to that. He was interested in what you did, so long as you didn't give away any sensitive information (which it seems from your post you didn't), then you acted correctly and better yet, since the guy was interested, you probably made his trip more enjoyable. Your actions and your heart were in the right place.

baw716

AEROFAN

Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:30 am

It's a privilege not a right'. Hmmm well is it now??!

Several years ago I worked with a carrier and had 23, sometimes 25 people reporting to me. As a manager I had unlimited upgrades to the premium cabins.
A couple of years before I left the, airline came out with a "statement of worth". On this "statement" they told each employee what their value/cost was to the company. There was a $$ value for salary, 401K contribution, insurance premiums etc.

The very last paragraph of the statement then proceeded to inform me that based on the number of FOC that I was allowed each year with the accompanying upgrades, that my total compensation package was $180,000.00. I informed my VP and HR that I would prefer not to have the FOC tkts and the upgrades that I would like the hard cash as salary instead!

I don't need to tell you what the response was!

So long and short of it - I made sure that whenever I traveled it was in J or F or I was not travelling.

My opinion it may not be right, but it certainly is not a privilege!

[Edited 2007-03-09 20:32:03]

WDBRR

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:54 am

I will never forgot the guy at IAH last year, waiting to board my CO flight.
he was hanging all over the podium like a hawk looking for food.
he wore tacky multicolored pants, loafers without socks and
a white shirt with a huge carry-on bag. he kept looking around
at all the people going through the jetway and kept looking around
the seating area to see who was left, I did not see him on the plane.
They should have sent him home to dress more professionally.

20 years ago, I checked in at EAL as a non-rev employee and the
agent at PBI almost had a stroke because I didn't have my tie on yet.

I don't think airlines enforce dress codes anymore for non-rev's.

boy, have times changed.

copter808

Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:54 am

Quoting David21487 (Reply 73):
I’ve been on flights before and told people sitting next to me that I work for the airline. I don’t initiate conversations with people on airplanes, but if I am talking to someone and they ask me what I do, I don’t lie or try to redirect the conversation. That is, however, something that you have to do at your own risk as there are some people who insist on telling you how much your airline sucks and how many times they’ve been inconvenienced, but I’ve never had that happen to me before. Most of the people that I’ve talked to were fascinated. They ask me about my job and the travel benefits, and I don’t have a problem explaining and answering questions about it.

I've always enjoyed chatting about the job too, if they ask about it. Often you're able to explain some possible reasons why a problem incident occurred. I always thank them for flying my airline too. Gives me the opportunity to show I care about our customers.

WDBRR

Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:24 pm

Quoting Zippyjet (Reply 54):
I made sure she was banished to 31-E or F which is the dumper seats on a 717 or DC-9, MD-80 etc. The row that does not recline is by the engines, has no window and where you can get the eau de honeybucket smells! The moral to this story? Treat others as you would like to be treated and you'll be just fine.

Kind of reminds me of the guy who complained last year about being
seated in the aisle seat next to the bathroom, he sent letters and
diagrams of peoples "butts" in his face. a copy of his letter was online.

lamedianaranja
Topic Author

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:07 am

Quoting WDBRR (Reply 77):

KL has just relaxed the dresscode a bit, jeans and T-shirts are now allowed, they were a no-go item even for Economy class.

Still no sportshoes, sandals, shorts and when wearing jeans the overall picture should still not be too casual.

RP TPA

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:45 am

I still laugh at the old dress code most airlines used to have. Jacket and tie. What was funny was that we were supposed to be inconspicuous (rule #1 = "BLEND"), and yet you'd see these people sitting in the front seats of the boarding area, right near the podium, right after the final call for all CONFIRMED PASSENGERS, twiddling their thumbs and looking very anxious. It wasn't too obvious if we were talking about LGA or DCA because of the large business clientele, but quite humorous at places like MIA and TPA in the summer. 90+ degrees outside, everyone dressed in shorts and t-shirts except for us non-revs who are sitting there "inconspicuously". Might have well have had a big neon sign above us saying "non-rev waiting area".

COEI2007

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:00 am

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 80):
KL has just relaxed the dresscode a bit, jeans and T-shirts are now allowed, they were a no-go item even for Economy class.

Still no sportshoes, sandals, shorts and when wearing jeans the overall picture should still not be too casual.

CO still enforces a dresscode, ie no jeans, sneakers etc for Business

iairallie

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:42 am

Quoting WDBRR (Reply 77):

Some have more lax dress codes but I assure you they are enforced. I was about to be given a jumpseat on B6 and the agent noticed my dressy sandals and denied me boarding. I'd worn them before in a cabin seat and it hadn't been an issue so I didn't know. I also saw an AA agent in HNL deny boarding to an employee with flip flops on. Some employees push the limit of taste or grooming and stay technically with in the code. The agent can't really do much about it unless they actually break the rules.

bluewhale18210

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:10 am

As far as dresscode is concerned, I didn't really call people on it unless it was outrageous. After all, I've seen too many people walking on/off a plane with pajama or mini-skirts (those I NEVER get tired of).
If a NRV was really demanding or really rude I'd catch them on the dresscode issue. Hasn't happened before, though. The most I have ever done was to send message to HR and report their bad behavior.

Good luck to all non-revvers out there. Hope I have the honor to serve you someday.

WDBRR

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:59 am

Quoting RP TPA (Reply 81):
Might have well have had a big neon sign above us saying "non-rev waiting area".

I laughed so hard over that one....very TRUE. I used to wear slacks, jacket and tie 20 years ago..
even in the heat of florida to take me back home. LOL

zippyjet

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:20 pm

Quoting Bluewhale18210 (Reply 84):
Good luck to all non-revvers out there. Hope I have the honor to serve you someday.

Ditto that!

Hope to see you fly with us, I'm at BWI. with FL.

Again, knock on wood, in five years never a negative non-rev crewmember or even their immediate families, just a few of the buddy pass folks like that c#$t diva that got honeybucket seating.

Quoting WDBRR (Reply 79):
Kind of reminds me of the guy who complained last year about being
seated in the aisle seat next to the bathroom, he sent letters and
diagrams of peoples "butts" in his face. a copy of his letter was online.

Have a link to this? Can I find it online? Thanks  bouncy 

baw716

Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:55 pm

I don't know about jeans.

When I fly, I get the most comfortable "nice looking" clothing I can buy; a couple of website sell stuff specifically made for air travel. I do the tie, but it usually comes off once I'm on board and the sweater comes on...tends to get chilly up there, even though I'm no longer non-revving these days.

Hopefully, I will be medically in a position this summer where I can get back into a job in which I can start doing that again. We shall see. For now, I'll just comment on it, like I always have  Smile

best
baw716

WDBRR

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:41 pm

Here is the threat that was posted here a while ago.
Funny Complaint Letter (by Turbo7x7 Aug 24 2005 in Civil Aviation)

Here is a copy of the LETTER

http://msgboard.snopes.com/travel/graphics/seat29e.pdf

UK_Dispatcher

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:02 pm

Quoting Junction (Reply 11):
I hate it when people find out I work for an airline. The last thing I want to do is talk work when I’m flying for personal reasons. Also, other passengers will usually start to discuss fares, or tell you about past experience with an expectation you can perhaps do something for them. Even if my seatmate flat out asks what I do, I try to steer the conversation in another direction. It's a personal choice, but the more discreet the better I think.

I agree with you. I never wear my ID on the aircraft and nowadays don't even want the crew to know I am airline staff. It just makes me anonymous and that is how I want to be on a flight.

I was non-revving on EY from BKK to AUH last night and the flight was overbooked by 20 or so (as always). I was given a crew jumpseat at the back of the packed B777-300ER and was unbeleivably grateful for it. The crew on the flight were obviously not experienced non-revvers as they kept saying how sorry they were that I had to travel in a jumpseat but i kept telling them that I was lucky to get a seat at all.

I really hate it when people take the piss on non-rev tickets. I remember hearing about a couple of Servisair (handling agent) staff from LBA a few years ago who were caught smoking in the toilet of a Jet2 B737 on the way back from AMS to LBA. Jet2 cut their benefits to Servisair staff immediately after this which I thought sent a great signal out to potential non-revvers. There are also many other stories I have heard regarding people abusing non-rev privelages. Most airlines remove these privelages for anyone who abuses them. Importantly this also counts when a relative abuses an employees privaleges. On the occasions when a friend/relative has travelled on my non-rev tickets, I always give them 'the speech' before they travel - this usually involves the old "ask for nothing and get what you're given'".

aerorobnz

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:04 am

Quoting Lamedianaranja (Reply 80):
KL has just relaxed the dresscode a bit, jeans and T-shirts are now allowed

NZ relaxed to the dress jeans only. ie: no rips, tears, fraying. I guess they had to relax the rules because the standard of general pax attire is not has high as it used to be, and it makes spotting non revs easy even for normal pax.

Sketty222

Mon Mar 12, 2007 7:05 am

Quoting EXAAUADL (Reply 16):
AA use to have a really dumb policy for J and F Non-revs...When going thru the premium cabin taking meal orders, they would skip the non-revs thereby:

The complete opposite happened to me one night when non-revving MIA-LHR. I was on the upper deck in an aisle seat when the FA came along taking the meal orders. He came to take my order and I took the chicken curry. Next in line for their orders to be taken where two middle aged passengers in the row behind me. The lady took the second option but the gentleman opted for the chicken curry. I was so shocked an a bit embarrassed when the FA said to the gentleman, I'm sorry sir but that gentleman there has taken the last one(pointing to me). I was like, errrrgggghhhh.. not me and decided to hide under my blanket  Smile

I believe though that when you are non-revving you should never make the passengers around you aware that you are airline staff. Ive had it in the past when FA's have embarrassed me by giving me champagne etc whilst in Y or WT+ and its not to nice when passengers around you are staring at you.
I was travelling non-rev from YYZ-LHR in Oct last year when I got allocated a seat on the bulkhead in Y. I was very grateful for the seat as I needed to get home as my wife was ill. I had a lovely man (not in that way) sitting next to me who talked to me for around 5 out of the 7 hours. He was a great bloke and our conversation came round to what we did for a living. I actually lied and told him that I worked in a different industry!

I think that Non-revving is such a good perk that and that airline should not see it as a right!!!

Lee

access-air

Mon Mar 12, 2007 8:41 pm

Quoting Lowrider (Reply 7):
Rule #1 of non-reving: BLEND.

Rule #2 of non-reving: BLEND

Rule #3 of non-reving: Do not talk about non-reving in the presence of revenue customers.

That said, simply follow the dress code and be respectful and you will avoid 95% of the potential problems.

As a Travel agent, I agree with you 95%......That other 5% makes it painfully obvious if you are flying to Tropical destination and you are made to sit in a three piece suite whilst everyone else is casually dressed.
I hada very rude Midwest Express gate agent go out of his way to make it apparent to everyone on the aircraft at the podium that I was flying NON-REV (Paid the $75.00 fee so hardly free). He was being a total wanker and I was trying to keep my status on the down low as per the Travel Agent travelling rules to not allow others to know that you are reduced rate. I am always kind and coureous when flying NONREV and sometimes it earns me a trip to First Class other times it seems like I do everything short of showing up on a crucifix and I get treated like scum!!!

Quoting Carledwards (Reply 8):
Non-revving should not be just a priviledge for airline staff, it should be a right, considering the low wages (most) airline staff get, it is a well deserved benefit. If not why not do a similar job for another non-transportation based company, and get paid loads more?

I am not even a member of airline staff, but I feel strongly about this, that unless airlines pay more, they cannot expect to give there loyal staff no benefits.

It should be a privilage, and it should be earned. because there are some people that ABUSE their NONREV privilages....Or they get into this mode of thinking the DESERVE to fly free or reduced because of the very reason that you described....

I once worked part time in 1995 for the summer season (in addition to my full time Travel Agent job) at our local airport for Great Lakes Airlines/ United Express...After 3 months I was allowed ULTD travel on Great Lakes for free....My mananger was FRIEND that I had known for 5 years as she was freinds with my TA boss.....
Shhe was loverly as a freind but as Boss it was a different story and she and I butted heads on many occasions. It seemed that I could never do anything right.(she was expecting perfection in less than perfect circumstances).
Part of the problem was that I didnt have proper training and was expected to self teach myself with lessons in the computer and expected to be an expert.
One of the things that I worked hard for were my flight privilages, and I did get them, and had the removed because I did not meet her expectaions...At that point I still had my job, which was great geting work with the Becch 1900s, but the flights privilages were gone and so was my enthusiasm to work there.....Shortly thereafter I chose to separate from the company and thats truely how it was.....So no, I was not entitled to ANY flight privilages.....They had to be earned.
Two years altwer she called me back to say she had a part time opening and I jumped at the chance and this time around the expected perfection was gone...

I think that NONREV travel is not something that you brag about, would go up to a customer in a department store and tell them as an employee of that store how much of a discount you get???
The same should go for travel....

Access-Air

LMP737

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:04 pm

Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 18):
I've had non-revs that have expected seats together on an oversold flight, and refused to be seated until they moved pax around to sit together! Yes, they may be getting paid low wages, and it may be well deserved, but they still have no right!!! Needless to say, they were denied travel!

Wow, at AA not only would you not get a seat but the CSA would call their supervisor who would then call your supervisor.

RP TPA

Tue Mar 13, 2007 3:57 am

I flew from LHR to YYZ last May with my then girlfriend (now wife) and her 2 kids. Son was 10, daughter was 6. I knew it would be a full flight, so I politely asked the agent if it were possible to at least get 2 seats together for my girlfriend and daughter so they wouldnt be separated. I told the agt that myself and g/f,s son would sit anywhere, even if we were apart. We ended up getting seats 2 rows apart, in the middle of a 4-seat row. Trust me, I wasn't complaining one bit.

COEI2007

Tue Mar 13, 2007 11:26 pm

Quoting LMP737 (Reply 93):
Quoting COEI2007 (Reply 18):
I've had non-revs that have expected seats together on an oversold flight, and refused to be seated until they moved pax around to sit together! Yes, they may be getting paid low wages, and it may be well deserved, but they still have no right!!! Needless to say, they were denied travel!

Wow, at AA not only would you not get a seat but the CSA would call their supervisor who would then call your supervisor.

Well, they didnt get to fly out, so that was enough for me. I was still kind of new, so I didnt want to complain!! Boy, how things have changed!!! Watch out loud-mouth non-revs!!!

risingphoenix

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:26 am

Quoting BAW716 (Reply 59):
appreciate your point; however, there are times in which the pilot tells the cabin crew and passengers to sit down NOW. I've seen F/As literally run for their jump seats. Of course, we got bounced around but not as bad as I think the pilot was thinking...the only thing I know is that when a pilot tells the cabin crew to do something and follows it with the word NOW emphatically, things happen pretty fast. I wouldn't want to be the F/A that could not get to a jump seat because there's a non-rev in the seat.

Now while I admit that the chances of this are small, immediately following passenger safety, the crew's safety is paramount in the minds of the cockpit and cabin crew. This is why I am against non-rev's being in F/A jump seats..

I understand the direction of your logic here, however, its not quite the reality of the jumpseat rider situation. There are extra jumpseats on most planes because airlines are not staffing the planes with a full complement of flight attendants. Domestically, most are "minimum staffed". So, if there are 6 jumpseats, but the FAA only requires 4 flight attendants to work the flight, there are 2 that go empty. Now, the FAA designates the "mandatory" jumpseats that must be filled by working flight attendants- its very specific. And most actual jumpseats are grouped in 2's, and on the larger aircraft, sometimes 3's. Which means the non-filled jumpseats, the ones available to non-rev crewmembers, are the ones that are right next to the working crewmember's jumpseat. Which means there is no impeded access to jumpseats.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos