Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Joost
Topic Author

German Touroperator To Boycot TuiFly

Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:43 am

Following earlier concerns expressed in the media, German Touroperator AllTours has cancelled 70.000 out of 200.000 reserved seats at TuiFly. As a reason, they mention that TuiFly is too actively promoting it's own activities on board of it's aircraft, thus stealing the touroperators business. Also, they state that the name TuiFly is too big on the aircraft. They will book the passengers at LTU, Air Berlin and Condor instead

Source: luchtvaartnieuws.nl

Personally, I doubt if it's a very smart move of AllTours. I think the touroperators need to face this competition as a new reality. IMO, they'd better search for a constructive solution instead of boycotting the operator.

flyorski

RE: German Touroperator To Boycot TuiFly

Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:50 am

Boycotting the operator won't solve much. In order to compete with Ryanair (and other LCCs), TUIfly needs to be recognized on there own, and the complaints that they paint the name TUIfly in letters that are too large on the aircraft is just ludicrous.
"None are more hopelessly enslaved, than those who falsly believe they are free" -Goethe

swissgabe

Thu Mar 08, 2007 2:56 am

Quoting Flyorski (Reply 1):
In order to compete with Ryanair

If they intend to compete with a low-cost carrier they should position them self as such. It can be indeed a problem trying to be a charter airlines and a low-cost at the same time. One example, the Tour Operator gets for a routing X to Z and vv. a fare of EUR 100 and at the same time the airline sells those seats at EUR 90. Would you as a tour operator still try to sell your seats at EUR 100 when they are available 10 EUR cheaper? I wouldn't. Of course there are still other factors and there is a difference between a package and a flight only but still, if at the end of the day the customer gets it cheaper seperate with flight and ads a hotel him self, why should there still be a Tour Operator!?
Smooth as silk - Royal Orchid Service /// Suid-Afrikaanse Lugdiens - Springbok

johnnybgoode

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:00 pm

the point is, Alltours and TUI are competitors. as long as the airlines were called HLX and HapagFly, people wouldn't realize that they are in fact not flying on an alltours aircraft, but on a TUI aircraft. now that the aircraft were TUI titles in large letters, customers would ask themselves why they are flying with TUI and not with Alltours.

i think the reasoning of Alltours and this decision is very plausible. they'd probably cancelled more than those 70,000 seats if their contracts would allow this, and they likely don't.
If only pure sweetness was offered, why's this bitter taste left in my mouth.

Leskova

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:19 pm

I can only agree with Johnnybgoode - the decision Alltours made is quite reasonable.

This isn't about Alltours/TUI or whoever competing with Ryanair - this is about Alltours and TUI competing. And since there are quite numerous alternatives around, I don't see Alltours having too much trouble finding space on other carriers.

If TUIfly wants to compete effectively with Ryanair and the like, why the hell are they now, for the second (or is it the third?) time changing their name? You don't compete well with established brands if you keep changing your own. And, seriously, putting TUI into the name of an LCC is idiotic - TUI isn't necessarily known for low prices... unless, of course, TUI wants to remodel itself into something cheap as well.

Personally, I consider this idea to be close to as idiotic as back when Condor was renamed 'Thomas Cook Airlines'... though TUIfly at least has the advantage that people in Germany know who or what TUI is.
Smile - it confuses people!

oldeuropean

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:18 pm

Also the tour operators of the REWE-Group (third biggest in Germany) consider to cancel their seats on the former Hapag Lloyd, because of the name of their competitor TUI, painted on the planes.

Quote:
"We don't want our customers to be sprinkled with TUI advertisement, in the future."

Axel

[Edited 2007-03-08 13:23:58]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

stylo777

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:15 am

Quoting Oldeuropean (Reply 5):
Also the tour operators of the REWE-Group (third biggest in Germany) consider to cancel their seats on the former Hapag Lloyd, because of the name of their competitor TUI, painted on the planes.

Quoting Johnnybgoode (Reply 3):
the point is, Alltours and TUI are competitors. as long as the airlines were called HLX and HapagFly, people wouldn't realize that they are in fact not flying on an alltours aircraft, but on a TUI aircraft. now that the aircraft were TUI titles in large letters, customers would ask themselves why they are flying with TUI and not with Alltours.

i think the reasoning of Alltours and this decision is very plausible. they'd probably cancelled more than those 70,000 seats if their contracts would allow this, and they likely don't.

now I ask me the question if HapagFly did the right think with the merge?!?! I am confused  Confused

haggis79

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:43 am

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 6):
now I ask me the question if HapagFly did the right think with the merge?!?! I am confused

well they didn't exactly merge... HapagFly (former Hapag-Lloyd) and Hapag-Lloyd Express (aka hlx) have been owned by TUI all the time.... from my perspective TUI just decided to extend the hlx business model to HapagFly and rename the whole thing into TUIFly.... I actually doubt this has been a wise decision... food&drinks for sale may work for short inner-Europe city flights such as STR-VCE or CGN-STN... but I doubt it's a good model for holiday flights to, say, Egypt or Tunisia or Canary Islands which often take way over three hours...
300 310 319/20/21 332/3 343 AT4/7 143 B19 732/3/4/5/G/8/9 742/4 752/3 763/4 77E/W CR2/7/9 D95 E45/70 F50 F70 100 M11 M90

oldeuropean

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:57 am

Quoting Stylo777 (Reply 6):
now I ask me the question if HapagFly did the right think with the merge?!?! I am confused

Actually it's no merge. Hapag Lloyd, later called HapagFly was already owned by TUI. But it looks like some PR guys have fliped out and had some ideas:
"Hey, this name: Hapag Lloyd, ... it's so boring ... let us call it HapagFly!"

So, they named it HapagFly.

... 6 month later: "Oh, I don't know. ... HapagFly? ... I don't like it. ... hey wait, let us call it TUIFly!!!!"  Yeah sure

Many people, knowing Hapag Lloyd for decades, didn't understand the first renaming. Many customers at travel agencys were irrritated by this, as they thought, "new airline".
It was to be expected that the new name: TUIFly would bring other problems with all the tour operators, which are indeed competitors of TUI.

Axel

[Edited 2007-03-08 21:58:44]
Wer nichts weiss muss alles glauben

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos