Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

AirlineFanatic
Topic Author

JetBlue Announces New COO

Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:34 am

You have to give David and the JetBlue crew credit for taking quick action towards putting in place the infrastructure to make them better off than the recent operational "meltdown" which affected them last month.

Russ Chew has excellent credentials and will be an asset I am sure

http://biz.yahoo.com/pz/070307/115110.html

JetBlue Names Russell Chew Chief Operating Officer
NEW YORK, March 7, 2007 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- JetBlue Airways today announces Russell G. (Russ) Chew has agreed to join JetBlue as Chief Operating Officer (COO), effective March 19. Mr. Chew joins JetBlue after four years with the Federal Aviation Administration as Chief Operating Officer, and 17 years with American Airlines as Managing Director of its System Operations Center

LAXintl

RE: JetBlue Announces New COO

Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:38 am

Interesting.... Mr. Chew was just appointed Exec Vice President at Hawaiian Airlines a few weeks ago!

Hawaiian Airlines Appoints Russell Chew Executive Vice President - Operations
HONOLULU - Hawaiian Airlines announced today the appointment of Russell Chew as executive vice president of operations. He replaces Norm Davies who is retiring June 30, 2007.

Chew will be leaving as chief operating officer for the Air Traffic Organization at the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) in Washington D.C., a position he has held since 2003. Prior to that, he spent 17 years at American Airlines, most recently as managing director of system operations control and, before that, as managing director of strategic operations planning.

http://investor.hawaiianairlines.com...l-newsArticle&ID=962020&highlight=
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

OPNLguy

Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:40 am

Quoting Laxintl (Reply 1):
Mr. Chew was just appointed Exec Vice President at Hawaiian Airlines a few weeks ago!

Maybe an evil twin, or a clone?  Wink Maybe jetBlue made him an offer he couldn't decline...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

AirlineFanatic
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:40 am

I know! Which I had heard this on the rumor mill, but didn't think anything much of it because I saw a picture of Russ in Airline Business annoucing that he had a taken the EVP spot at Hawaiian.

Guess the offer was just that good

WMUPilot

Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:46 am

Dave Bushy was our COO before he stepped down and went to Cape Air. I believe we had been operating with a temporary COO while a search was conducted to find Bushy's replacement. Good thing we went with somebody that has the right experience operating a System Operations Command Center.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

AirlineFanatic
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:07 am

no Dave Bushy was the VP of Flight Ops - not COO

WMUPilot

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:27 am

Ok, i knew it was something like that, i just took a stab in the dark, unfortunatly I missed, thank you for the correction
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

wideglider

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:48 am

Mr Chew takes the position from Dave Barger but he continues as our President. They say they started this search before the Valentines Day massacre. Rumors are that Barger is leaving so this may be first step in that direction.
it is what it is...

FA4B6

Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:49 am

Am I missing something? What happens to Dave Barger's role now ... just President or is this announcement a precursor to something else?
"Leap! And the net will appear."

wideglider

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:00 am

Quoting FA4B6 (Reply 8):
Am I missing something? What happens to Dave Barger's role now ... just President or is this announcement a precursor to something else?

Barger is involved with Vueling Airlines so who knows...
it is what it is...

jetbluefan1

Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:37 am

Wait...so what does Dave Barger do as President? How is that different than CEO?

Let's hope Chew does a good job with helping JetBlue grow in an organized way (operationally) - JFK is a challenge but it's doable.

JetBluefan1

wideglider

Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:19 am

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 10):

The President and/or COO (Chief Operating Officer) of a corporation are many times the same person. The COO usually manages day to day operations of a company. They also usually fall under the CEO in an org structure. The CEO is the chairman of board.

Now, the day to day stuff will fall to Mr. Chew so I really dont know where that leaves Barger.
it is what it is...

lightsaber

Thu Mar 08, 2007 3:09 pm

I'm a B6 fan... but a new COO is needed. Yes, the meltdown made news, but I'm thinking more along the lines of an F9 expansion. There needs to be a little more optimization with pilot/crew schedules, etc.

I'm happy with the new addition.  Smile

Now what's up with Hawaiian?  scratchchin 

Lightsaber
6 months without TV. The best decision of my life.

style

Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:54 pm

Quoting Wideglider (Reply 11):
The CEO is the chairman of board.

Incorrect. The CEO is not always necessarily the chairman of the board. He has to be voted in by the board of directors. Although 9 out of 10 times you do see the CEO with the Chairman position, this isn't always the case.

A good example of this is Gordon Bethune when he joined CO. He was given the CEO position initially but not the Chairman's position. Only later did the board of directors vote him in as chairman.

LAXintl

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:23 am

JetBlue hires Chew; Hawaiian renews search
Thursday March 8

Russell Chew, the chief operating officer for the FAA Air Traffic Organization, won't be joining Hawaiian Airlines after all.

Last month Hawaiian Airlines announced it had hired Chew to succeed Norm Davies as executive vice president of operations. But JetBlue Airways announced Wednesday that Chew will become its chief operating officer on March 19.

Hawaiian then announced that Davies, who plans to retire, had agreed to stay on while the Honolulu-based carrier renewed its search for a successor.

http://biz.yahoo.com/bizj/070308/1428663.html?.v=1
From the desert to the sea, to all of Southern California

atct

Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:08 am

So im the only person here who thinks Chew's an idiot? The man left the FAA in total disarray. He's as screwy as a three dollar bill. Im glad to have him gone from the Agency. Now he's gone to an airline thats had some troubles over the past few months.

Two wrongs dont make a right jetBlue.

Chew is a recipe for disaster.

ATCT
Trikes are for kids!

IAHFLYR

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:07 am

Quoting ATCT (Reply 15):
So im the only person here who thinks Chew's an idiot? The man left the FAA in total disarray

I seriously doubt you are alone in that belief.....there are quite a few at AA that I bet enjoyed happily waiving good bye to this guy as many in the FAA did not long ago! Didn't he pretty much put AA into a nose dive as well a few years back?

Best of luck JetBlue.......  crossfingers 
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

positiverate

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:24 am

RE: B6 Executive Changes? (by Positiverate Feb 13 2007 in Civil Aviation)

Called that hire a few weeks ago...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos