Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

aileron11
Topic Author

Ewr Today, Very Long De Ice Line.

Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:59 am

Hello all, Today, at EWR while I was at work the de ice line for CO was very long. I fly a lot, but never got stuck in long de ice line like the one I saw today. So my question is, are the F/A allowed to play movies so it can help pass some time, passengers allowed to talk on the cell phone, or use laptop computers and so on. As for me I would sleep. If anybody could give some in put on what goes on in the plane I would like that very much thanks.
Jersey Lou

sammyk

RE: Ewr Today, Very Long De Ice Line.

Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:09 am

This happened to me on 2/25 for my flight to AUS. They boarded us on time. We sat for an hour at the gate and then were told there could be a two hour wait so they let us back out to wait. Two hours later we were ready to go and it took another hour to get to the deicing stand. Flight left four hours after its scheduled time. Arrived in AUS @ 4AM the next day.

aileron11
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:14 am

Sammyk, I kept an eye on few planes the pushed back from the gate at 9:30 am, one had to come back to the gate for more fuel and the other two took-off around 1:00 PM it just crazy to keep the people in the plane that long.
Jersey Lou

sammyk

Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:23 am

Definitely. I figured they let us out becase of the recent JetBlue fiasco. It was nice to get out to recharge all our electronics and grab something to eat.

WMUPilot

Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:03 am

Same thing happened at JFK today. Very long lines for deicing.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

aileron11
Topic Author

Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:25 am

When the line for de-icing is very long, i have to say the best seat on the plane is in the flightdeck, at least they can see the progress being made.
Jersey Lou

sammyk

Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:37 am

BTW, I guess to answer the original question as to whether electronics are allowed. I don't know the official answer but I was stuck on the ground in Houston for two hours due to some weather between IAH and AUS (30 minute flight!) and they let us use our cell phones, etc. as we were on the taxiway.

If I remember right this also happened in EWR as we has to turn around from the taxiway to head back to the gate...never made it that far and we turned around again. Seems they just had to "reboot" the computer.

worldsurfer

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:19 pm

Quoting Aileron11 (Thread starter):
passengers allowed to talk on the cell phone, or use laptop computers and so on

I have been stuck on the runway many afternoons at different airports flying back to EWR. For the most part the pilot has come on the PA and announced that they have a ground stop or delay program and we would sit near the end of the runway waiting for our wheels up time, in the meantime he would go ahead and let us use our cell phones and electronic devices and would advise us again before we are ready to take off to power them off. I dont know if it would be different if you are waiting on an active taxi way waiting for the de ice to take place.

zippyjet

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:28 pm

Why doesn't surprise me? Whenever it's weather issues, flying into the Northeast airports: JFK, LGA, BOS and of course EWR is an exercise in futility that tests the patience and aplomb of we who work in our industry and our passengers. Delays, delays and hurry up and wait!
I'm Zippyjet & I approve this message!

EWRCabincrew

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:34 pm

To answer your question, if the wait is to be for a while (and it happens), yes, the crew can play movies and you can make calls, listen to whatever. The captain will give the thumbs-up for that. When the aircraft moves, you will need to be seated.

Once de-iced and in line to take-off, all should be shut off, turned off and stowed till cruising altitude.

I, for one, would show movies and do some sort of service to keep all occupied.
You can't cure stupid

lincoln

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:36 pm

Quoting Aileron11 (Thread starter):
o my question is, are the F/A allowed to play movies so it can help pass some time, passengers allowed to talk on the cell phone, or use laptop computers and so on.

The last time i was at EWR on CO we were held on the ground due to some nasty (lightning, IIRC) moving though the area right as we were getting ready to push. The announcement was made that electronics were pemitted; after a decent period of delay, they announced that "if you want to get off, now's your chance" and started a movie -- on a flight that doesn't normally get any video IFE.........

Lincoln
CO Is My Airline of Choice || Baggage Claim is an airline's last chance to disappoint a customer || Next flts in profile

jycarlisle

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:49 pm

I didn't have the de-icing experience, however, I flew EWR-JAX 2/28 and the traffic line for take-off was a 1/2hr to an hour wait, but then I was to depart during the 9AM rush hour so I elected to sleep until take off as I was up the whole night before packing.

Even though it is a pain in the ass to get to from my house, EWR is a great airport to take off from as one gets a good view of the city, stadiums, etc.
"CHANGE IS: CLEAN PLANES AND DIRTY MARTINIS" (DL)

atlaaron

Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:55 pm

I flew out of PIT this morning and the line was not long for de-icing but it certainly kept us from getting out anywhere near on time. The roads on the drive there were certainly not clear either.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos