Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

jimyvr
Topic Author

More Southwest Expansion

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:04 am

Southwest announced further expansion, thanks to the delivery of 37 new Boeing 737s.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/070308/dath014.html?.v=87

The new Southwest Airlines flights break down as follows:

BEGINNING JUNE 4, 2007:

* One new daily nonstop roundtrip between Ft. Lauderdale/Hollywood and
Providence.
* One new daily nonstop roundtrip between Houston Hobby and San Diego.
* One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between Orlando and Providence
(for a total of six daily).
* One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between Houston Hobby and
Orlando (for a total of four daily).

BEGINNING JUNE 17, 2007:

* Five new daily nonstop roundtrips between Denver and Oakland.

BEGINNING JULY 2, 2007:

* One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between Orlando and Long Island
(for a total of six daily).
* One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between Columbus and Orlando
(for a total of three daily).

BEGINNING JULY 17, 2007:

* One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between Birmingham and Orlando
(for a total of three daily).
* One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between Louisville and Orlando
(for a total of two daily).
* One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between Louisville and Tampa
Bay (for a total of two daily).

BEGINNING AUGUST 4, 2007:

* One new daily nonstop roundtrip between Baltimore/Washington and
Oklahoma City.
* One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between Baltimore/Washington
and St. Louis (for a total of five daily).
* One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between Houston Hobby and
Oakland (for a total of two daily).
* One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between Denver and Houston
Hobby (for a total of three daily).

[Edited 2007-03-08 17:05:21]
1000 - 01MAR07 | http://airlineroute.blogspot.com/

PVD757

RE: More Southwest Expansion

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:23 am

wow - PVD-FLL gets quickly replaced by WN a little more than a month after NK drops it...

PanAm747

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:28 am

What impresses me the most is the amount of growth at DEN.

Not because there are now three airlines (if not more) operating on some routes, but the fact that DEN has enough room and capacity to handle all of these new flights. Can you imagine UA, F9, and WN all trying to operate out of Stapleton at the level they are now?

Congratulations to Denver for not listening to the naysayers who said, "putting the airport in the middle of nowhere will be a disaster". It may be the last American project with foresight and planning.

Having said that, where did Southwest acquire 37 new 737's all of a sudden?
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

trey

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:36 am

i guess they are not really concerned about expressJet here at MSY. not even 1 BHM flight from them with all this new expansion. interesting. oh well, looks as if they are committed to not restarting any of their old markets here.

avconsultant

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:46 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 2):
Can you imagine UA, F9, and WN all trying to operate out of Stapleton at the level they are now?

I thought Stapleton closed?

MSYguy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:50 am

Quoting Trey (Reply 3):
i guess they are not really concerned about expressJet here at MSY. not even 1 BHM flight from them with all this new expansion. interesting. oh well, looks as if they are committed to not restarting any of their old markets here.

I think this makes four consecutive rounds of substantial new service announcements by WN with not a single new MSY flight. Very disappointing from a carrier that presently offers about 45% of the service it offered from MSY in August 2005.

jmy007

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:02 am

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 4):

I think he is saying "if" Stapleton was open. Stapleton is now endless streets of homes, retail, and one big Bass Pro shop  

[Edited 2007-03-08 18:03:16]
Cookies are the Gateway pastry. They lead to Éclairs and Bear Claws.

LHUSA

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:03 am

Has WN announced any new/additional service from IAD since they've started? It seems like IAD is not growing as fast as other new cities. I wonder how they are performing from IAD?

AlexPorter

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:03 am

Quoting AvConsultant (Reply 4):

It did - he was saying that this kind of expansion would be impossible if Stapleton was still open - saying Stapleton couldn't handle all these current UA, F9, and WN flights, but DIA can.
Last Flight: SCX701 MSP-PHX B738 8Jan2008

OPNLguy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:10 am

The 37 wasn't all of a sudden, they were what deliveries were scheduled for this year. We've already taken 6, and have another 31 to go, I think. BTW, we're up to 487 aircraft and should hit the 500 mark sometime this summer....

[Edited 2007-03-08 18:11:09]
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

WN57787

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:10 am

37 new 737 over the year that WN will acquire..

chase

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:13 am

And no IND expansion from WN...again. Sigh.

Congratulations to Denver for not listening to the naysayers who said, "putting the airport in the middle of nowhere will be a disaster".

Funny now to think that the naysayers said the same thing about Stapleton when they built it.

johnboy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:14 am

Quoting Jimyvr (Thread starter):
BEGINNING JUNE 17, 2007:

* Five new daily nonstop roundtrips between Denver and Oakland.

This is the one i've been waiting for....thanks Southwest!!!! Fairly substantial jump into the market too, with five (!) flights daily.

* One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between Louisville and Orlando
(for a total of two daily).
* One additional daily nonstop roundtrip between Louisville and Tampa
Bay (for a total of two daily).

I'll have to admit, this one surprised me a bit. SDF just hasn't seen much growth from WN.

PVD757

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:40 am

SDF seems to have gotten a LOT of new service over the past year or so...

FlyPNS1

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:44 am

Quoting PVD757 (Reply 13):
SDF seems to have gotten a LOT of new service over the past year or so...

Not a real surprise. As fares at CVG skyrocket, more and more traffic will drive to SDF and DAY. Particularly for fare-sensitive leisure travelers, it's worth the drive to save hundreds of dollars.

ScottB

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:46 am

Can you imagine UA, F9, and WN all trying to operate out of Stapleton at the level they are now?

Sure I can. There were three airline hubs at Stapleton in 1985. It took several years for passenger counts at DIA to finally climb back to what they were in the last year of Stapleton's operation.

Congratulations to Denver for not listening to the naysayers who said, "putting the airport in the middle of nowhere will be a disaster"

I suspect much of the criticism was based more on the huge amounts of money spent than the location. The cost of the new airport is a big part of why CO abandoned its hub at DEN.

Quoting PVD757 (Reply 1):
wow - PVD-FLL gets quickly replaced by WN a little more than a month after NK drops it

I was shocked to see that one finally in the schedule. PVD-FLL has had enough traffic to justify one (and possibly two) daily round-trips year-round for the past few years -- but WN never seemed to be interested in flying it.

Five new daily nonstop roundtrips between Denver and Oakland.

That was one of the most obvious gaps in WN's service from DEN (along with LAX, SAN, and ABQ)

Quoting Trey (Reply 3):
i guess they are not really concerned about expressJet here at MSY. not even 1 BHM flight from them with all this new expansion.

MSY-BHM had been pretty dependent on connecting traffic, and you probably need a minimum of 3-4 daily flights to be competitive with driving. The big problem is that WN isn't connecting anywhere near as many passengers through MSY anymore -- that flow seems to have shifted to MCO, TPA, and HOU.

It's nice to see OKC finally get a non-stop to the Washington area. It looks like OAK and HOU are going to be very close to 150 daily departures each by the end of summer. SAN will be very close to 100 daily departures if SAN-SFO happens as expected. And DEN is up over 40 daily departures fewer than 20 months after service was initiated.

Notable by their absence are LAS, MDW, and PHX -- no new service to or from any of these three in this announcement.

alphascan

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:51 am

What impresses me the most is the amount of growth at DEN.

DEN growth shouldn't really be surprising. Southwest has made huge long term local marketing investments there, convinced DIA officials to expand the C cponcourse to accomodate their growth and publicly indicated numerous times that DEN would get more aircraft dedicated to it.

What should be surprising is how poorly their flights are performing (well below system average almost 14 months after starting service) in spite of the fact that they have had to leave most of their intro fares in the market.

So what do they do? Expand service to cities not served by F9.
"To he who only has a hammer in his toolbelt, every problem looks like a nail."

floridaflyboy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:52 am

Wow! Good for Southwest. I love it when they go on these big expansion kicks. I'm especially impressed with the expansion at DEN. Apparently, that was a smart move going in there.
Good goes around!

MSYtristar

Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:57 am

Quoting MSYguy (Reply 5):
think this makes four consecutive rounds of substantial new service announcements by WN with not a single new MSY flight. Very disappointing from a carrier that presently offers about 45% of the service it offered from MSY in August 2005.

Yes sir, you nailed it. As of June it will make one year since WN has even added an additional frequency into MSY. All other airlines at the airport (ex. B6) have. Clearly, they are not concerned about XE entering MSY, nor do they care if XE steals some (or most) of WN's former MSY-BHM/JAX passengers. Oh well, like I said, the airport has moved on. We don't expect WN to do much of anything from here anymore. From a historical perspective, it's pretty sad/absurd though.

Cactus739

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:01 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 15):
Notable by their absence are LAS, MDW, and PHX -- no new service to or from any of these three in this announcement.

PHX has been absent from a lot of WN expansion announcements lately..... last time PHX got anything new from WN was when they increased DEN....
You can't fix stupid.... - Ron White

joeljack

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:24 am

How dissapointing, OMA skipped over again. I keep waiting for OMA-BWI but nope. I also thought OMA-DEN would have been around by now. MCI-DEN is half the price of OMA-DEN so I'll continue to drive back a forth about once every other month from Des Moines to DEN until the price comes down. Ugh. I'd sure like to see a couple of other routes too like OMA to MCO and BNA. What's everyone's thoughts? Any chance I'll see any of this in the future??

OPNLguy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:28 am

Quoting MSYguy (Reply 5):
I think this makes four consecutive rounds of substantial new service announcements by WN with not a single new MSY flight. Very disappointing from a carrier that presently offers about 45% of the service it offered from MSY in August 2005.

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 18):
Yes sir, you nailed it. As of June it will make one year since WN has even added an additional frequency into MSY. All other airlines at the airport (ex. B6) have. Clearly, they are not concerned about XE entering MSY, nor do they care if XE steals some (or most) of WN's former MSY-BHM/JAX passengers. Oh well, like I said, the airport has moved on. We don't expect WN to do much of anything from here anymore. From a historical perspective, it's pretty sad/absurd though.

The Rand folks estimate a population 272,000 in Sept. 2008 figure (56% of pre-Katrina) and working that data backwards a bit to approximate a present-day value, it comes surprisingly close to your same 45% figure concerning Southwest's percentage of flights.

Instead of taking it as personal affront or to that of the citizenry, could another possible explanation be that Southwest is endeavoring to match flight numbers with the population base that supports them?

News Release
FOR RELEASE
Wednesday
March 15, 2006

RAND STUDY ESTIMATES NEW ORLEANS POPULATION TO CLIMB TO ABOUT 272,000 IN 2008

The population of New Orleans will likely reach about 272,000 in September 2008 – amounting to 56 percent of the population of 485,000 before Hurricane Katrina struck in August, according to a study issued today by the RAND Corporation.

The report, produced by the RAND Gulf States Policy Institute, estimates the city's current population at about 155,000 and forecasts it will rise to about 198,000 in September. Only a few thousand people were living in New Orleans last September.

The new RAND study provides the most detailed estimates to date of the likely rate at which residents may return to New Orleans. It was prepared at the request of the Bring New Orleans Back Commission and is designed to help government officials plan the city's rebuilding.

The study says a key factor determining how quickly New Orleans can be repopulated is the availability of housing. The faster housing becomes available, the faster people can return to the city. Services, employment, federal funding and schools will be restored more rapidly as the population rises, the report says.

RAND researchers found that homes of about 55 percent of the city's population – 268,000 people – suffered severe damage after parts of New Orleans were inundated by floodwaters more than 4 feet deep when the hurricane hit and levees were breeched. Rebuilding the most severely devastated areas of the city where these people lived will to a large extent determine the future of the city's population, the report says.
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

sw733

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:30 am

Quoting LHUSA (Reply 7):
Has WN announced any new/additional service from IAD since they've started? It seems like IAD is not growing as fast as other new cities. I wonder how they are performing from IAD?

Southwest is not doing very well out of IAD. I just flew them MDW-IAD on March 1, and IAD-MDW on March 6. My outbound flight had 23 people, the way back had about 75. While I know you can't base profit off of passengers on two flights, I talked to a few Southwest people who said IAD was certainly not doing well for Southwest. They think it's because of the base of UA loyals. They said that while Southwest isn't looking at pulling out of IAD, if something doesn't change soon, they need to figure something to change. Maybe a pullout down the road?

[Edited 2007-03-08 19:34:16]

onaclearday

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:30 am

I suspect much of the criticism was based more on the huge amounts of money spent than the location. The cost of the new airport is a big part of why CO abandoned its hub at DEN.

While it did cost more to operate out of DIA than Stapleton, CO wanted to focus its attention--with the exception of hometown IAH--on flying east of the Mississippi River. Hubbed in Greensboro, Continental Lite was viewed as essential to the company's survival, so Ferguson (CEO at the time) sacrificed the DEN operation and moved the planes and people to the higher-density eastern U.S. operation in GSO. After Continental Lite failed, Bethune came in as CEO and stated that he would have downsized the DEN operation rather than closing it completely. The cost of operating out of Denver's new airport was secondary to Continental's new (though short-lived) focus on Continental Lite.  Smile

ScottB

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:33 am

Quoting Alphascan (Reply 16):
What should be surprising is how poorly their flights are performing (well below system average almost 14 months after starting service) in spite of the fact that they have had to leave most of their intro fares in the market.

So what do they do? Expand service to cities not served by F9.

I'm not too surprised to see the flights still being below system average load factor/yield -- DEN is still a new market and they have been very aggressive with their service additions. The real question is whether or not the flights are performing to what their internal predictions were -- and, of course, none of us have access to that information.

DEN-OAK will most likely end up drawing a significant number of passengers from DEN-SFO, since the average DEN-OAK fare will probably drop by about one-third. Right now, OAK gets about 25% of the passengers flying between DEN and OAK/SFO; from Chicago, OAK sees nearly half, while from SLC, OAK actually accounts for almost 75%.

PVD757

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:34 am

and only the PVD-FLL and SDF-TPA flight were outside one of MCO, BWI, DEN, or HOU.

Quoting Cactus739 (Reply 19):
PHX has been absent from a lot of WN expansion announcements lately..... last time PHX got anything new from WN was when they increased DEN....

I have a hunch that the $2.9 BILLION expansion program that PHX has on the table has WN a bit shy about doing much there right now. WN has been know to be concened about costs and I'm sure those projects will drive PHX costs up quite a bit.

MAH4546

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:34 am

Finally!

At this rate, we should have Ft. Lauderdale-Manchester non-stops by 2017, Buffalo by 2020, and Albany by 2024.

O&D from South Florida to...

Albany: 412 daily passengers
Buffalo: 580 daily passengers
Manchester: 361 daily passengers
Providence: 783 daily passengers

The funny thing is that US Airways is the largest carrier in most of the markets.

[Edited 2007-03-08 19:40:00]
a.

MSYtristar

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:35 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 21):
Instead of taking it as personal affront or to that of the citizenry, could another possible explanation be that Southwest is endeavoring to match flight numbers with the population base that supports them?

No offense, because you are always a very respected source of information, but if WN simply goes by the population of the city of New Orleans itself, that'd be pretty stupid. You know as well as I do that airlines look at the metro area as a whole. If they just looked at the city proper's population, then ATL would have far less flights....as would MIA...STL...etc.
Metro N.O is about 87% of what it was before...and the airport's catchment area is at about 95%.

sw733

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:36 am

Is there any new news on the expansion into SFO?

Tom in NO

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:46 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 27):
Metro N.O is about 87% of what it was before

Last numbers I heard were between 1.2 and 1.3 million, compared to 1.5 million pre-K......and the .2-.3 difference is primarily made up of the segment of population who wouldn't ordinarily travel by air.

ScottB's comments about MSY-BHM connectability are probably the best ones I've heard yet.

Personally, I'm still waiting for a single nonstop to either LAX or SAN from WN.

Tom at MSY
"The criminal ineptitude makes you furious"-Bruce Springsteen, after seeing firsthand the damage from Hurricane Katrina

MSYtristar

Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:54 am

Quoting Tom in NO (Reply 29):
ScottB's comments about MSY-BHM connectability are probably the best ones I've heard yet.

Personally, I'm still waiting for a single nonstop to either LAX or SAN from WN.

They are running BHM-DAL nonstop now for some reason instead of routing (at least some of) those through New Orleans. It's like they just said "well, MSY-BHM is a route which no one flies anymore." I mean come on...5 flights a day to 0? Demand just doesn't dissappear overnight. XE to the rescue in that market.

As for LAX/SAN...you know you'll probably be waiting a while for those, Tom. I thought LAX had a great chance of being started from the get go (since UA started them up fairly quickly and has seen great success with them), but, I was proven wrong...which has happened a lot to me lately. I doubt WN could jump into MSY-LAX and be successful now anyway since DL is in the market.

OPNLguy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:29 am

Quoting MSYtristar (Reply 30):
They are running BHM-DAL nonstop now for some reason instead of routing (at least some of) those through New Orleans.

The DAL-BHM non-stops contibue on to BNA, so that's to connect DAL with BNA and comply with Wright-II, and I presume the same is true in reverse BNA-BHM-DAL.

It's like they just said "well, MSY-BHM is a route which no one flies anymore."

With all due respect, that's purely an assumption on your part.

I don't work upstairs (I'm OPNLguy, not MKTGguy or SALESguy), but I assume they have their business reasons for not having the level of flights that you'd like to see at this point.

PanAm747

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:31 am

Quote:
I think he is saying "if" Stapleton was open. Stapleton is now endless streets of homes, retail, and one big Bass Pro shop

he was saying that this kind of expansion would be impossible if Stapleton was still open - saying Stapleton couldn't handle all these current UA, F9, and WN flights, but DIA can.

Thanks - that's what I meant. Sorry for any confusion.

Quote:
The 37 wasn't all of a sudden, they were what deliveries were scheduled for this year. We've already taken 6, and have another 31 to go, I think. BTW, we're up to 487 aircraft and should hit the 500 mark sometime this summer

WOW!!  eyepopping  I didn't realize WN was getting THAT many...of course, after taking the Ford executive 737, I shouldn't be so surprised...

Quote:

Part of the criticism of DIA was the cost (especially the automated luggage system), but the location was also a part of the diatribes against the new airport - "it's so far out - nobody's EVER going to drive all the way out there!!". Typical whining - the suburbs of Denver are now encroaching on the airport on the west and south.

Quote:
While it did cost more to operate out of DIA than Stapleton, CO wanted to focus its attention--with the exception of hometown IAH--on flying east of the Mississippi River. Hubbed in Greensboro, Continental Lite was viewed as essential to the company's survival, so Ferguson (CEO at the time) sacrificed the DEN operation and moved the planes and people to the higher-density eastern U.S. operation in GSO. After Continental Lite failed, Bethune came in as CEO and stated that he would have downsized the DEN operation rather than closing it completely. The cost of operating out of Denver's new airport was secondary to Continental's new (though short-lived) focus on Continental Lite.

checkmark 

CO never should have taken over Frontier, but it was the go-go-merge-a-mania 1980's. If I remember correctly, the new Frontier was started by ex "old Frontier" people.
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

OPNLguy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:36 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 32):
I didn't realize WN was getting THAT many...of course, after taking the Ford executive 737, I shouldn't be so surprised...

Actually, we took two Ford aircraft.

Rumor has it we may see some other used aircraft (-700s) find their way here...

KELPkid

Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:44 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 33):
Rumor has it we may see some other used aircraft (-700s) find their way here...

EasyJet, perhaps?  Wink One of the few carriers I'm aware of that's currently getting rid of 73G's... I guess you guys aren't picking up used -300's anymore, then  Sad
Celebrating the birth of KELPkidJR on August 5, 2009 :-)

ScottB

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:09 am

Quoting PanAm747 (Reply 32):
CO never should have taken over Frontier

Well, Frontier (or what was left of it) came as part of the PeoplExpress package.

It's like they just said "well, MSY-BHM is a route which no one flies anymore." I mean come on...5 flights a day to 0? Demand just doesn't dissappear overnight. XE to the rescue in that market.

The problem was that the O&D traffic hadn't justified 5 daily round-trips for years. The traffic numbers had consistently been between 150-200 passengers per day each way for a decade, with the numbers closer to the lower end after 9/11. When WN reshuffled the schedule after Katrina, all the MSY connecting traffic was shifted to other airports.

Don't get me wrong -- I'd love to see WN add more service back to MSY, to many of the cities others have mentioned! But for now, I hope that XE is very successful with their loads and yields out of MSY.

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 9):
BTW, we're up to 487 aircraft and should hit the 500 mark sometime this summer

So what comes after N299WN? (and don't saw N300WN or N300SW).  box  And who is N289CT named after?

MSYtristar

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:12 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 31):
With all due respect, that's purely an assumption on your part.

Of course it is. But, at this point, would you not agree that it may very well be the truth?

The DAL-BHM non-stops contibue on to BNA, so that's to connect DAL with BNA and comply with Wright-II, and I presume the same is true in reverse BNA-BHM-DAL.

Well, the DAL-MSY nonstops continued on to BHM at one point. But like ScottB said, WN MSY connections/through flights are pretty limited these days.

AsstChiefMark

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:19 am

Come on, you WN management wimps. There's room at the Humphrey Terminal for you at MSP. What's the matter? Scared?

Mark
Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Red tail...Damned MSP...Red tail...Red tail

OPNLguy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:22 am

Quoting ScottB (Reply 35):
So what comes after N299WN? (and don't saw N300WN or N300SW).

Last time I looked, we had 800- and 900-series numbers reserved. All the 737-200s are gone, so we have nothing in the 0-99 or 100-199 ranges, so those are available. We only have 25 aircraft (735s) in the 500-series, so eventually they'll be available too.

And who is N289CT named after?

That's a new one on me, and I'll have to do some checking. Can't think of any execs or BOD with those initials. Might be a "memorial" set, like our N216WR and N217JC... (after two PHX AMTs who were killed in a GA crash).

mcofreak

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:30 am

MCO is getting alot of new flights lately...how many flights a day will they be at after this expansion. I remember last year they got three new gates there so I guess they are trying to make good use of those gates.

MSYtristar

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:40 am

But for now, I hope that XE is very successful with their loads and yields out of MSY.

I hope they will be. It's sort of a shame that it had to be on a former WN-dominated market, but things change.

r311music

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:41 am

As of Sunday MCO will be up to 104, then after tthe June expansion, and the May expansion we will be around 110 or so daily flights.
confusing use of time

TransWorldSTL

Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:48 am

but I assume they have their business reasons for not having the level of flights that you'd like to see at this point.

Don't waste your breath. Our NOLA's posters will never stop complaining about WN not adding back 23473874893744378 new flights.

This is great news... I was hoping on seeing another STL - FLL to make up for AA making the route seasonal.. That would help me when I'm trying to come home from school, but I guess I'll survive..

MSYtristar

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting TransWorldSTL (Reply 42):
That would help me when I'm trying to come home from school, but I guess I'll survive..

Oh well, just take FL thru ATL. I'll even upgrade you to business class.

Don't waste your breath. Our NOLA's posters will never stop complaining about WN not adding back 23473874893744378 new flights.

Where'd you come up with that number? Seems a little off the mark, huh?

ScottB

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:03 am

Quoting Mcofreak (Reply 39):
MCO is getting alot of new flights lately...how many flights a day will they be at after this expansion. I remember last year they got three new gates there so I guess they are trying to make good use of those gates.

Actually, I'd imagine that MCO probably needs to build the remaining wing (Gates 113-119) of the airside pretty soon -- or induce B6 or FL to move into the gates vacated by Delta. WN, of course, could move as well, but B6 and FL are more likely to operate international flights from MCO than WN, and Delta's airside has an FIS facility. The airside shared by WN, B6, and FL handles nearly twice as many passengers as the others -- with fewer gates.

Silver1SWA

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:16 am

* One new daily nonstop roundtrip between Houston Hobby and San Diego.

FINALLY...

MSYguy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:21 am

I assume they have their business reasons for not having the level of flights that you'd like to see at this point.

No doubt about that. No one would accuse WN of being arbitrary.

Don't get me wrong -- I'd love to see WN add more service back to MSY, to many of the cities others have mentioned! But for now, I hope that XE is very successful with their loads and yields out of MSY.

Ditto. Can't wait to start using those routes -- particularly MSY-AUS.

Unfair. I think we'd settle for 80-90% of what we had two years ago, given that this is what our demand levels would sustain, as evidenced, among other things, by every other carrier's rate of service resumption.

Despite your continued attempts to portray us as whining or unreasonable, I have not heard you rebut our fundamental point -- that this metro area has the demand to sustain far more service than WN has resumed providing, all the while falsely touting how much it supports the rebuilding of New Orleans (please do not respond by saying that WN has a right to serve the routes it elects in its business judgment to serve -- because I absolutely agree with that, as noted previously).

mcofreak

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:31 am

On another note has anyone heard of any RSW expansion to maybe at least one westward destination it sure would be nice to connect to somewhere other than MCO or MDW to go west. I just think at least one flight to maybe HOU or LAS or PHX would work out of RSW.

TVNWZ

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:40 am

Quoting MSYguy (Reply 46):
I have not heard you rebut our fundamental point -- that this metro area has the demand to sustain far more service than WN has resumed providing,

I don't know the answer to this, but could not have Southwest brought back too many flights too early? Maybe demand is still catching up to what they already added, and they don't see it growing as much as you think. If there is money to be made in MSY, I can not believe Southwest would not go after it.

sw733

Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:41 am

Quoting Mcofreak (Reply 47):
I just think at least one flight to maybe HOU or LAS or PHX would work out of RSW.

Connecting two "vacation" destinations like LAS and RSW just doesn't seem to make sense to me. I think a connection in someplace like HOU, MSY, BNA, or BHM might make sense...

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos