Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

JetBlueAUS
Topic Author

JetBlue Reports February Traffic

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:46 am

Numbers look okay after the Valentines Day fiasco.

http://investor.jetblue.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=131045&p=irol-news&nyo=0
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

spinkid

RE: JetBlue Reports February Traffic

Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:57 am

well, an on time performance of 57.5% certainly isn't that good to me.

ERJ170

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:00 am

Quoting Spinkid (Reply 1):

One month out of 6 years.. I think that's worth a break.. I mean, come on...
Aiming High and going far..

JetBlueAUS
Topic Author

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:03 am

Over a thousand flights were cancelled, man. The remaining flights were delayed... for awhile. That's what winter storms do to air travel.
Not all of us can be heroes, some of us can only stand on the sidewalk and clap as they go by.

adizzy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:11 am

Some people need to understand that there are certian factors that influence that number! But then again you are probebly one of those people that would complain about a 95%on-time preformance!

From the article
"JetBlue's operating performance for the month was adversely impacted by the Northeast ice storm on February 14, 2007 and related recovery period, resulting in the cancellation of 1,191 flights and numerous flight delays over the six-day period," said David Neeleman, JetBlue's CEO. "Preliminary PRASM for the month decreased four percent year over year, which includes the financial impact of the storm."

Lexy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:14 am

Quoting JetBlueAUS (Reply 3):
Over a thousand flights were cancelled, man. The remaining flights were delayed... for awhile. That's what winter storms do to air travel.

I like JetBlue, but it would help if they would put their hubs (heck, any airline for that matter) in places where that type of weather isn't likely. That way you avoid issues like this and isolate any weather issues to just the local level not a national level like we saw with B6.
Nashville, Tennessee KBNA

WMUPilot

Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:36 am

Not a real excuse, but winter travel usually always wrecks havoc with on time preformances with all airlines. Like Lexy said all of our hubs are in winter weather delay prone areas thats why we get hit with a horrible on time preformance rating. That and the blunder of Feburary really destroyed our on time preformance. Traffic was up and Load Factor dropped 3.4% to 80% for the month.
JetBlue - Bringing humanity back to air travel

Lexy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:07 am

Hey, I know NYC and places like ORD and MSP have great O&D and all, but there's places in the south like ( and this is just examples not meant to be taken terribly seriously ) BNA, MEM, DFW, RDU, CLT, and many others that have decent to real good O&D numbers that B6 could use to their advantages if they so choose. I would love to see them, especially given their desire to grow the Carribean market segment, establish a hub in a up and coming southern city just to go after the Delta's and US Airway's of the world. I can think of three airports that would love to have them as a corporate neighbor right now. But, if NYC is what works for them ( as a whole ) I can't fault them one bit for relying on it to make some cash. Best of luck to them this spring though!!!

mcdu

Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:17 am

The ASM's and RPM's show a big drop YOY. If you factor in the fact that so many flights were cancelled then you would have even more ASM's and probably less RPM's. Overall a very bad trend is showing in these numbers. I believe only SWA showed a lower RPM for Feb and they also said they expected earnings to be off and traffic to soften. The LCC model may finally be showings some dings.

JetBlue can not afford to add capacity that is not going to be filled with people in the seats. I would venture to guess a capacity pull down is coming in the very near future.

jetbluefan1

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:20 pm

These numbers are actually impressive for a month that JetBlue had very bad press coverage and cancelled over 1,000 flights in just a few days. I was expecting a RASM decrease of over 4% - which, mind you, is the number after the losses from the Valentine's Day fiasco are factored in. And an 80% LF during a month which half of the nation swore off JetBlue...not bad.

Quoting Mcdu (Reply 8):
JetBlue can not afford to add capacity that is not going to be filled with people in the seats. I would venture to guess a capacity pull down is coming in the very near future.

JetBlue is already slowing its growth. And keep in mind that for the last 4 months before Feb JetBlue has had some extremely solid numbers - in terms of both capacity growth and RASM growth. One month - especially one where JetBlue suffered major operational disruptions - says little about future trends.

Quoting Lexy (Reply 7):
Hey, I know NYC and places like ORD and MSP have great O&D and all, but there's places in the south like ( and this is just examples not meant to be taken terribly seriously ) BNA, MEM, DFW, RDU, CLT, and many others that have decent to real good O&D numbers that B6 could use to their advantages if they so choose.

Yep. It's definitely a good idea for JetBlue to maintain and grow its hub at JFK, but at the same time it's also good to look to expand to other destinations - such as the ones you mentioned - and make it so that not every plane touches the NYC area everyday. But NYC should always be a huge player in the JetBlue system since it's a cash cow, and there's no way around that.

You're right - that's certainly not good. But February just sucked overall - we had a really bad month here in the Tri-State area. Snow, wind, below-freezing temps. School closings all across Long Island for several days. It just sucked.

Overall, I think that the March numbers will be truly indicative of future trends for JetBlue. Most seats were probably not booked up for March by Feb. 14; if there was any drop off in bookings, the March numbers will really show. Furthermore, if there was any decrease in RASM strength as a result of the bad press JetBlue has received lately, March will paint a true picture. Nonetheless, I have been checking bookings on the JetBlue website and they remain very strong - sold out flights left and right and the sales are not nearly as discounted as last year. Good signs.

JetBluefan1

Lexy

Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:43 pm

Quoting JetBluefan1 (Reply 9):
But NYC should always be a huge player in the JetBlue system since it's a cash cow, and there's no way around that.

Good points and I totally agree with you. The future will be very interesting to see for B6. Personally, I look forward to seeing what happens.

Mir

Fri Mar 09, 2007 1:23 pm

Quoting Lexy (Reply 5):
I like JetBlue, but it would help if they would put their hubs (heck, any airline for that matter) in places where that type of weather isn't likely. That way you avoid issues like this and isolate any weather issues to just the local level not a national level like we saw with B6.

Such as where? If we assume that the northern half of the country is in danger of getting snow during the winter, and the southern half is at risk of big thunderstorms during the summer, where are they to go?

Bad weather is going to happen anywhere you go, you just have to take enough precautions so that it doesn't screw you over when it does happen. B6 didn't do this, and they got screwed over. Hopefully they have learned.

-Mir
7 billion, one nation, imagination...it's a beautiful day

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos