B757FAN
Topic Author

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:14 am

I'm new to airliners.net and forgive me if this has already been asked in previous forums. I was wondering if anyone knows if any major U.S. airports have been hit by tornado's? I have done some searching and have found nothing on this topic. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

OPNLguy

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:20 am

Quoting B757fan (Thread starter):
I was wondering if anyone knows if any major U.S. airports have been hit by tornado's? I have done some searching and have found nothing on this topic.

Well, DAB got hit by one a few weeks back and it wiped out a bunch of ERAU's fleet.

Using the search function here I found this, and I'm sure there are other threads as well...

http://www.cowtown.net/proweb/tornado/tornado.htm
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

JuniorSpotter

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:27 am

Well...Nellis, Edwards, Langley and Dayton are some AFB's that have been hit by Tornados...

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © Chad Thomas - Jetwash Images

Sorry, couldn't resist.  duck 
If something can go wrong, it will.

contrails

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:33 am

Tinker AFB, OK, was hit back in the 50's. This incident led to a gradual improvement in issuing tornado warnings. There was a USAF base in north Texas hit about the same time, but I can't remember much about it.

DAL had a near miss, as I recall, in the mid-50's. I don't remember very much about it either.

A few years ago a tornado was reportedly sighted around the southwestern part of IAD. It caused a bit of a panic among people out here, most of whom don't have any idea what a tornado is.

Having grown up in Oklahoma, the heart of "tornado alley", it seems strange to me that OKC and TUL have avoided being wiped out by a tornadoes. There have been plenty of them in the area, but they seem to prefer mobile home parks to airports.

The History Channel has run a good documentary about tornadoes featuring the USAF tornadoes I mentioned above. They may run it again some day. It has some awsome video.
Flying Colors Forever!

OPNLguy

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:39 am

Quoting Contrails (Reply 3):
There was a USAF base in north Texas hit about the same time, but I can't remember much about it.

That would be Carswell AFB in Ft. Worth, with pictures of damaged B-36s linked above...
ALL views, opinions expressed are mine ONLY and are NOT representative of those shared by Southwest Airlines Co.

contrails

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:43 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 4):
That would be Carswell AFB in Ft. Worth, with pictures of damaged B-36s linked above...

Actually, the USAF base I was referring to was further north, almost in Oklahoma. I can''t remember the name of the base any more or what city it was near. I think it's been closed for several years.
Flying Colors Forever!

Bicoastal

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:51 am

A few years ago a tornado was reportedly sighted around the southwestern part of IAD. It caused a bit of a panic among people out here, most of whom don't have any idea what a tornado is.

I was at Dulles (IAD) that day. Yes, there was "concern" but no panic. They made (tried to make) everyone leave the main terminal departure level with all of the glass and move down to the baggage claim level. This was around the time of the busy afternoon bank of flights so the place was packed. I'm sure United execs were sweating like crazy hoping that (almost) funnel cloud wouldn't damage its extensive fleet of widebodies parked at the C/D gates at that time.

I love severe weather. It's beautiful and powerful.
Airliners.net has many forums. It has spell check and search functions. Use them before posting!

OPNLguy

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:53 am

Quoting Contrails (Reply 5):
Actually, the USAF base I was referring to was further north, almost in Oklahoma. I can''t remember the name of the base any more or what city it was near. I think it's been closed for several years.

Well, you said North Texas so I just assumed it was Carswell. Sheppard AFB (Wichita Falls, TX) and Tinker AFB (Oklahoma City) have probably taken hits over the years...

There was also a base at Sherman, TX (Perrin AFB), but that's been closed for years...

[Edited 2007-03-11 01:54:53]

Hamfist

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:00 am

McConnell AFB in Kansas was hit by a tornado in 1992. This link to Youtube has home video of it passing through -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2veLsNZrlSw

N231YE

Tornadoes And Airports?

Denver Stapleton International Airport:

http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/historic/nws/images/wea00220.jpg

[Edited 2007-03-11 02:37:09]

ltbewr

Tornadoes And Airports?

Denver (DEN) International Airport is located in a potential tornado area. There are designated 'tornado shetlter' areas in the terminals, including the gate areas, where the structure has been reinforced to provide protection for such circumstances. I would assume that a number of other airports at reaonable tornado risk would also have designated safe areas for tornados and could include the rest room areas and certain facility service rooms.

drerx7

Tornadoes And Airports?

I think MSY was hit by one in 2006--caused some damage to glass and a couple of jetways IIRC.
HOUSTON, TEXAS

Type-Rated

Tornadoes And Airports?

Back in the 70's I was on a SO DC9-10 coming into MEM and the pilot came on and said that we would be doing a go around because a tornado was currently on the runway that he was planning on using!
Believe it or not, the air was very smooth, not a bounce around. Never did see the tornado as we were in IMC the entire time.
Fly North Central Airlines..The route of the Northliners!

TransWorldSTL

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:24 am

STL was hit by a powerful storm system last July, that ripped part of the main terminal's roof off, and knocked power out for the better part of that night and the next morning if I remember correctly (backup generators failed). I believe a few Trans States planes were damaged in the storm.

I'm not sure if that ended up being just a micro burst, or tornado or what, because I was without power for 9 days so I missed all the news coverage talking about what had happened.

OPNLguy

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:31 am

Quoting TransWorldSTL (Reply 13):
STL was hit by a powerful storm system last July, that ripped part of the main terminal's roof off, and knocked power out for the better part of that night and the next morning if I remember correctly (backup generators failed). I believe a few Trans States planes were damaged in the storm.

I was working that afternoon 2-10 and I watched that complex move SE for several hours before, just north of you, it started heading more to the south, right towards the STL area. All that was about 60 minutes before it hit, and man, was the TAF wrong that night. I didn't divert anyone, since I held them on the ground at MDW, since there was no way in hell they were going to beat it in, especially from the north side via VLA or UIN. Never heard if it was a tornado or just straight-line winds, but I suspect it was the latter.

md80fanatic

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:35 am

I remember a tornado hitting the now closed Robert Mueller airport (AUS) back in the late eighties. It ripped away part of the terminal roof.

TransWorldSTL

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:39 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 14):

I was working that afternoon 2-10 and I watched that complex move SE for several hours before, just north of you, it started heading more to the south, right towards the STL area.

Thanks for warning me!

I spent that afternoon documenting storm damage to my place of employment (Six Flags St. Louis), and taking injury reports from guests who were injured by broken glass, etc, then we evacuated the park because we had no power except emergency generators.. Then I spent over 2 hours trying to drive home in the pitch black (I've never seen the city be completely dark like that)... That was 9 days of hell, because every hotel room clear up to Chicago was either without power, or booked... After 3 days, they shut off the water, because the River pumping stations ran outta juice, so we eventually found a hotel..

OPNLguy

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:45 am

Quoting TransWorldSTL (Reply 16):

Thanks for warning me!

If I'd only had your number...  Wink

The NWS never called this storm, or even a watch box, but the next afternoon (really early, like about 3pm) they put out a severe thunderstorm watch box with STL dead in the middle. Nothing developed until like 9pm or so, and even then it wasn't anything like the night before.

Sorry you had to go through it--I'm sure it was a mess...

September11

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:47 am

Quoting TransWorldSTL (Reply 13):

As a St. Louis resident for 8 years, I remember plenty of tornado warnings. Don't know a tornado ever touched down on STL airfield.

Quoting N231YE (Reply 9):

That's a big and black tornado. Who doesn't like airport and tornado in one picture?

Hurricanes give greater impact than tornados to airports, especially in Florida and northeast coast cities?
Airliners.net of the Future

TransWorldSTL

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:56 am

Quoting September11 (Reply 18):
As a St. Louis resident for 8 years, I remember plenty of tornado warnings. Don't know a tornado ever touched down on STL airfield.

Immediately following the damage to the terminal, the news reporters had people on the air who were reporting that they saw a funnel cloud, and were the told to get in the middle of the concourse away from the windows.. Then it all hit at once. About 10 minutes after I heard these people on the news, it hit my house and I went without news for 9 days.. Obviously the people weren't trained spotters, but I never found out what had actually hit there...

BDL2DCA

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:46 am

In 1979 a tornado hit BDL and the New England Air & Space Museum. Very unusual for a funnel cloud to form in New England, let alone touch down.
146,319,320,321,332,333,343,346,359,722,732,733,734,735,73G,738,739,742,744,752,753,762,763,772,788,789,ARJ,BE1,CRJ,D9S,D10,DH8,ERJ,E70,E75,E90,F100,S80

EMBQA

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:56 pm

Quoting BDL2DCA (Reply 20):
In 1979 a tornado hit BDL and the New England Air & Space Museum.

I want to say it was Oct 3, 1979...... It was one day after I flew out on a UAL DC-8 to ORD. When we came back aircraft still littered the taxi ways. The Museum took a direct hit and many classic one off aircraft were destroyed.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

nwa757boy

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:20 pm

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 10):
I would assume that a number of other airports at reaonable tornado risk would also have designated safe areas for tornados and could include the rest room areas and certain facility service rooms

When I was at MCI awhile ago, I saw a Tornado Shelter in the terminal, or maybe it was a nuclear fallout shelter, I can't remember, but i think they would both serve the same purpose.

I took these pics last May or June leaving DTW for CDG on AF....there were was a tornado watch for the area, I didnt think we would take off as there was lighting come out of the clouds and i thought maybe a funnel cloud would drop out of one of them, but it didn't happen.

sixtyseven

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:25 pm

In Canada we have the Thorguard system for lightning strikes. That prohibits ground crews from working which snarls everything.

All arriving aircraft have to wait off gate or somewhere else. I've always wondered what would be the reaction if a tornado came whirling through a place like YYZs Central De-Ice Facility (a common parking spot holding about 30 airplanes during such things), and killed a whack of people while the ground handlers are sitting inside playing a nice game of stud.

The odds are against it but if it were to ever happen.......
Stand-by for new ATIS message......

FlyingTexan

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:03 pm

David Wayne Hooks (while not a major U.S. airport with commerical service) in far northwest Harris County - north of Houston, Texas - in the early 1980s. The tornado destroyed quite a few planes and hangars. For the better part of ten years, you could see wings and other aircraft debris strewn about and intertwined in trees in the field just east of Steubner-Airline.

Heck, if you went out there with a metal detector today, you'd probably unearth some pieces.
"Wouldn't your boss like to fly home nonstop at 4:30 on a Friday afternoon?" -Airline Exec to Congressional Staffer

jetjeanes

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:20 pm

Mem and Jan See tornados often around the airport and flight paths, Mem has been hit and in Jan we were clipped but everyone in the main terminal was evacuated to some lower level i never new was there,.
Mem was hit by lightning this week Knocking out power in the area...

Mem could have a tornado shelter if they wanted. when the airport was designed all three terminals were built in stages
and they were going to put an underground train like atl but never did. Everything is there platforms etc,but it never was opened... I havent been in there since the late 70,s...

Across the street was a bomb shelter and an underground network that would move arsenal equipment from an old local defense depot with tunnels running about 2 miles to the airport . The tunnels run all under the west end of the fedex runway and under and interstate... It was designed also to hold thousands back years and years ago....
i can see for 80 miles

TransWorldSTL

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:51 pm

Quoting NWA757boy (Reply 22):
or maybe it was a nuclear fallout shelter, I can't remember, but i think they would both serve the same purpose.

I would assume it was meant just as a storm shelter, as MCI was built after the cold war.

rampart

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:07 pm

Quoting TransWorldSTL (Reply 26):
I would assume it was meant just as a storm shelter, as MCI was built after the cold war.

I've seen them at MCI as well, and they are storm shelters. But, didn't the "Cold War" end with Reagan and Gorbachev?  Wink

Quoting N231YE (Reply 9):
Denver Stapleton International Airport:

Maybe some current or recent workers at DIA can confirm, but I remember not long after the airport opened that a tornado crossed one of the runways at the far end of the field. The place is so vast, and Colorado tornadoes so narrow, that the airport continued operation uninterupted on the other runways.

-Rampart

ltbewr

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:03 pm

I recalled a serious tornado near Bradley Int'l Airport, Windsor Locks, CT (north of Hartford, CT) a number of years ago. I checked around and confirmed my recollections. On 10/3/1979, a F-4 tornado badly damaged the Bradley Air Museum, destroying 16 aircraft and killing 3. It hit about 1 mile east of the airport, a significant commercial airport as near Hartford, CT. A number of commercial buildings were also badly destroyed (including a factory that made coin operated soda or 'Coke' machines).

kevin82277

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:44 pm

I was at Dulles that day also, flying on IDE, the A terminal was packed. It was a friday afternoon and every flight was packed. The terminal was so crowded because nothing departed for 5 hours. It was Crazy. They even had planes evecuated on the runway to take cover in a Hanger. Crazy Crazy Crazy.

nwa757boy

Tornadoes And Airports?

Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:50 pm

Quoting TransWorldSTL (Reply 26):

Like I said i dont remember if it said Fallout Shelter or Storm Shelter, but apparently it was Storm Shelter

tz757300

Tornadoes And Airports?

Mon Mar 12, 2007 12:11 am

Couple years ago, remnants of Hurricane Jeanne were passing through the area and a freak tornado went straight through the DE ANG base up at ILG. No lives were lost, but the C-130's were damaged and the buildings suffered some damage. Took a while before the fleet was operational again. Oddly enough, the tornado only went through the ANG section of the airport, no where else.

LETS GO MOUNTAINEERS!

B757FAN
Topic Author

Tornadoes And Airports?

Mon Mar 12, 2007 3:06 am

Thanks to all for the replies. I didn't realize that some many tornado's had done so much damage at U.S. airports. Thanks again.

srbmod

RE: Tornado's And Airports?

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:26 am

With as many severe storms that roll through the Atlanta area, I'm surprised that ATL hasn't been hit by one. They did have a bit of a scare a few months back though as a pretty rough line of storms rolled through the area around lunchtime. A few years back, a tornado hit 4A7 (Clayton County-Tara Field), which is south of Atlanta and did quite a bit of damage that they're still repairing. The same tornado ripped up Atlanta Motor Speedway pretty bad as well.

ghillier

RE: Tornadoes And Airports?

Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:27 am

Last year an F1 tornado did hit TUL and damaged several cars and destroyed about half of the Radisson Airport Hotel, but fortunately there were no fatalities

kc135topboom

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:02 am

Quoting SixtySeven (Reply 23):
In Canada we have the Thorguard system for lightning strikes. That prohibits ground crews from working which snarls everything.

We use a similar system at DFW. We have had ramp workers struck by lightning. We had 2 funnel clouds (coming out of a wall cloud) just south of DFW at the end of December 2006 (the strom system that caused all the delays and the AA jaet that deverted to AUS and kept pax aboard for 8 hours). It came as close as Hwy 183, about 1.5 miles south of the runways and centeral terminal area.

DFW, like many airports has an emergency plan for sever weather, like tornados. We started ot put it into effect that day. We use doppler radar and have our own trained spotters to track sever storms. So the potential tornado was confirmed.

L-188

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:08 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 1):
http://www.cowtown.net/proweb/tornado/tornado.htm

A very good link.

The day that the US lost 2/3rds of is nuclear bomb fleet.

Amazing thing is that if you look through all the photos is that only one aircraft ended up being scrapped, and 1 was selected to be the NB prototype because of some of the damage.
OBAMA-WORST PRESIDENT EVER....Even SKOORB would be better.

Caspian27

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:31 am

Here is a link to an interesting article about the tornado's in Daytona and a close call a Comair flight had coming into DAB

http://www.news-journalonline.com/sp...ial/xmasstorms/newHEAD05122906.htm

[Edited 2007-03-11 23:31:58]
Meanwhile, somewhere 35,000 ft above your head...

A10WARTHOG

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:34 am

Quoting Ghillier (Reply 34):
Last year an F1 tornado did hit TUL and damaged several cars and destroyed about half of the Radisson Airport Hotel, but fortunately there were no fatalities

I believe that same tornado was the one that did damage to two CRJ

contrails

Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:56 am

Quoting OPNLguy (Reply 7):
Well, you said North Texas so I just assumed it was Carswell. Sheppard AFB (Wichita Falls, TX) and Tinker AFB (Oklahoma City) have probably taken hits over the years...

It was Sheppard AFB I was thinking about. Thanks for refreshing my memory.
Flying Colors Forever!

JohnJ

Mon Mar 12, 2007 11:06 am

Quoting LTBEWR (Reply 28):
I recalled a serious tornado near Bradley Int'l Airport, Windsor Locks, CT (north of Hartford, CT) a number of years ago. I checked around and confirmed my recollections. On 10/3/1979, a F-4 tornado badly damaged the Bradley Air Museum, destroying 16 aircraft and killing 3. It hit about 1 mile east of the airport, a significant commercial airport as near Hartford, CT. A number of commercial buildings were also badly destroyed (including a factory that made coin operated soda or 'Coke' machines).

View Large View Medium
Click here for bigger photo!

Photo © David A. Grant

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos