as739x
Topic Author

Best Way From O'hare To Midway

Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:43 am

What is the best way from ORD to MDW?

Look like I need to non-rev LAX-SEA-ORD(AS) /MDW-HOU(WN) this Friday. So I will need to connect between a 5pm arrival at ORD and a 755pm dept. from MDW. Could some of you locals help me with some advise?

Thanks

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

jblake1

RE: Best Way From O'hare To Midway

Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:49 am

Blue Line Train to Loop then Orange Line to Midway. Simple and much faster and cheaper than a cab.

OceansWorld

Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:50 am

Quoting Jblake1 (Reply 1):
Blue Line Train to Loop then Orange Line to Midway. Simple and much faster and cheaper than a cab.

Is it still $2 ?

PanAm747

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:17 am

Boy, you're cutting it close!!

You could possibly make it if you don't deal with checked luggage...

http://tripsweb.rtachicago.com/

Assuming you can get to the Blue Line station by 5:40 PM, it is 40 minutes to the Lake/Clark station. Transferring to the Orange Line a few minutes later, it is almost 30 minutes to MDW.

The fare is still $2.

Do you even want to imagine what traffic will be like on a Friday at 5 PM? As it is, you're going to be a sardine on the trains.

I hope it all works for you!!
Pan Am:The World's Most Experienced Airline - P(oor) S(ailor's) A(irline): San Diego's Hometown Airline-Catch Our Smile!

Sangas

Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:23 am

Blue Line Train to Loop then Orange Line to Midway.

Transfer from Blue Line Subway to Orange Line Elevated train at Clark-Lake Station (free transfer).
A camel only sees the other camels' humps

ORDmax

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:09 am

checkmark 

sphealey

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:13 am

> non-rev LAX-SEA-ORD(AS) /MDW-HOU(WN) this

You could practically drive from Los Angeles to Houson in that time period!

Well, not quite - Google Maps makes it at 22 hours driving time. Of course if you miss that MDW connection you might be over 22 hours anyway.

sPh

BigOrange

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:17 am

There's a minivan service between the two airports. Can't remember the name but if you go to the Chicago Airports website you'll find it. I used it a couple of years ago, and it certainly worked well for me.

as739x
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:21 am

Quoting Sphealey (Reply 6):

Been there, done that. My fiancee and I did that drive in Jan.....Puke! That was to long. The loads are incredible to IAH/HOU this week. Looks like WN's evening flight from Midway is my best option.

Quoting Sangas (Reply 4):

Thanks, that sounds like a good option. I'll search it on the net.

Thanks ALL

ASLAX
"Some pilots avoid storm cells and some play connect the dots!"

apodino

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:16 am

Quoting BigOrange (Reply 7):
There's a minivan service between the two airports. Can't remember the name but if you go to the Chicago Airports website you'll find it. I used it a couple of years ago, and it certainly worked well for me.

It might have worked for you, but since this is on a Friday during rush hour, I wouldn't advise this. Have you ever seen what rush hour traffic on 294 is like, especially around ORD?

I agree with everyone else, Blue Line to Clark and Lake, transfer to Orange line and take that to MDW.

mycrj17

Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:44 am

Yea take the Orange line to the Blue line, because the cab driver might take 55 to 90-94 to 190, and that is the long way just to get more money out of you, and that will take for ever to get there, or if he was smart he would take 55 to 294 to 190, and would be the fastest way to get there driving wise from MDW..
So take the CTA for $1.75 one way, and it will take about 45 min..

thumbsup   thumbsup   thumbsup   thumbsup 
GO CUBS GO!!!!!

LOT767-300ER

Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:11 am

Quoting Mycrj17 (Reply 10):
Yea take the Orange line to the Blue line, because the cab driver might take 55 to 90-94 to 190, and that is the long way just to get more money out of you, and that will take for ever to get there, or if he was smart he would take 55 to 294 to 190, and would be the fastest way to get there driving wise from MDW..

Hes going from ORD to MDW not from MDW to ORD genius.

UAL4ever

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:03 pm

Definitely Take the El train. Blue line to the Orange. Easy, cheap, fast, and convenient.

jdwfloyd

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:39 pm

On the same topic I may need to get from RFD (Rockford IL) to ORD this weekend, any suggestions?

LOT767-300ER

Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:45 pm

Quoting Jdwfloyd (Reply 13):
On the same topic I may need to get from RFD (Rockford IL) to ORD this weekend, any suggestions?

http://www.coachusa.com/

Select Rockford - ORD on the left side.

jetdeltamsy

Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:11 pm

Yea, don't even consider car transportation.

Use the train. It's fast, safe, cheap and reliable. You'll almost certainly get a seat from O'Harre. You may have to stand to Midway, but it's a short trip from the transfer point.

$2 gets you from airport to airport. The transfer points are clearly marked on maps inside each car, or ask an attendant at the ticket booth just before you go through the machines that read your ticket.

Remember..you have to buy your ticket before you board the train. There are machines just before you get to the ticket reading machines.
Tired of airline bankruptcies....EA/PA/TW and finally DL.

hoya

Wed Mar 14, 2007 6:18 pm

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 15):
Use the train. It's fast, safe, cheap and reliable. You'll almost certainly get a seat from O'Harre. You may have to stand to Midway, but it's a short trip from the transfer point.

With all the CTA's woes lately, particularly with the L, I wouldn't call it fast and reliable. While I will still recommend to take the CTA, AS739X be advised that the ride from O'Hare into Clark/Lake will take longer than 40 mins as the CTA has instituted many 'slow zones' on the portion of the Blue Line that goes through the median of the Kennedy Expressway. I would budget at least an hour to get from O'Hare to Clark/Lake. I was in Chicago a month ago and it took me over an hour to get from the Cumberland stop (two stops before O'Hare) into downtown.

Story about the Blue Line issues:
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...i-0702260082feb26,1,4980794.column
Hoya Saxa!!

sspontak

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:15 pm

On Saturday, I will also be in the Chicago area I will have a rental car and a few hours to kill. Are there any good spotting areas just outside MDW and ORD to watch airplanes takeoff and land? Thanks.

jetdeltamsy

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:06 am

Quoting Hoya (Reply 16):
With all the CTA's woes lately, particularly with the L, I wouldn't call it fast and reliable.

Whatever.

There are problems from time to time in any business.

The trains in Chicago have safely completed billions of trips over the past 100 years. And if you ever ride the Blue Line in either direction during various times of the day, even the slow zones zip along right past the traffic. It still takes less than an hour to get downtown.

They are extremely reliable but as you so pointlessly remind us all, we do not live in a perfect world.

[Edited 2007-03-14 18:09:55]

jsnww81

Thu Mar 15, 2007 3:32 am

Quoting Jetdeltamsy (Reply 18):
They are extremely reliable but as you so pointlessly remind us all, we do not live in a perfect world

Wow, someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed...

The CTA trains can be really dicey (oddly enough, their buses are more reliable despite having to deal with road traffic.) I ride the Blue Line regularly and as Hoya says, it can take anywhere from 40 to 65-70 minutes to get into the Loop. Add in rush hour congestion (which means the train will sit longer at each station as passengers get on and off) and you're definitely looking at an hour from O'Hare to Clark/Lake. I ride from O'Hare to Logan Square (about six stops before Clark/Lake) and it routinely takes me 30-40 minutes.

If the Kennedy is at a standstill during rush hour - which is almost always the case - you're correct that the train will be flying past all of the cars, even in the slow zones. But during a non rush hour when the Kennedy is flowing along at 70mph and the train is creeping down the median at 10mph, the Blue Line is extremely frustrating.

For AS739X, as everyone has said, the CTA is definitely your best bet given the time of day. But you'll be cutting it pretty close, especially if your arrival at ORD is delayed. Allow at least an hour for the Blue Line. The Orange Line is the newest line in the CTA system and usually hustles along pretty quickly.

rwessel

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:08 am

FYI: The CTA station is in the basement of terminal 1 (the UA terminal) at ORD (it's underneath United baggage claim). If you're flying AS, you'll probably arrive in terminal 3, which is a fair walk. I suggest you take the intra-airport shuttle train (ATS), which you can get to from the upper (check-in) level of the terminals.

Bring some small bills for the automated fare card dispensers.

At MDW the CTA station is by the main parking garage, just follow the signs into the terminal.

And as other have pointed out, don't stop to sight-see.

airlineecon

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:39 am

I've done the Blue line to Orange line transfering in the loop at an off peak time and it took an eternity. Another quick route that I have yet to try, but my southwest flying northside friends say is reliable is the X54 bus route. Take the Blue to Jefferson Park, its about 15 minutes from o'hare, then catch the X54 express bus to midway. The bus takes a little less than an hour. Check out the CTA website.

Cubsrule

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:45 am

Quoting AirlineEcon (Reply 21):
Take the Blue to Jefferson Park, its about 15 minutes from o'hare, then catch the X54 express bus to midway. The bus takes a little less than an hour. Check out the CTA website.

It'll cost a little more, but it's FAR FAR FAR faster. You will still be cutting it close, though. MDW security is not usually bad on Friday afternoons, but it can be.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

jetdeltamsy

Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:14 am

Quoting Jsnww81 (Reply 19):
If the Kennedy is at a standstill during rush hour - which is almost always the case - you're correct that the train will be flying past all of the cars, even in the slow zones. But during a non rush hour when the Kennedy is flowing along at 70mph and the train is creeping down the median at 10mph

And the non-peak time on the Kennedy, from my experirence is from about 11am to 2pm and after 10pm at night outbound and 10am to 1pm and after 9pm inbound. The rest of the time, there is potential for huge driving delays.

If the guy has 3 hours to make a connection between ORD and MDW, I can't comprehend a) spending the $50 plus for a cab and risking gridlock and missing his flight.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos