juventus

RE: Am - MEX-PHL?

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:10 am

Well if they start this route, daily flights would be the best way to go about, none of that twice a week stuff.

If I'm not mistaken, US does not fly directly from PHL to MEX, so I would think PHL has potential to succed. Hopefully it works out better than BOS did.

ophila

Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:48 am

Good insights Vega..... looks like they finally are going to commit... I wonder if DL will handle them here....or will they operate w/ AF in AWest

pzurita1

Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:15 am

Quoting Vega (Thread starter):
Is AM finally going to (re)start MEX-PHL?

IIRC, AM has never flown to PHL. MX did but stopped in mid-90s

PZ
Next flight: IAH-DBX-MRU-ANT

phljjs

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:33 am

PHL has been trying to get a Mexcian carrier to start service for a couple of years now. They hinted that they were making progress when the gate lease agreements were getting re-done last year. They were trying to keep 1 or 2 gates open or at least limit existing carriers use of a couple of gates to make room for a new international carrier or 2.

crownvic

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:08 pm

Pzurita1...Actually, AM operated into PHL for many years. It was flight 401 & 402 that started in late 1960's, IIRC. The routing was BOS-PHL-MEX-PHL-BOS. It was first operated by the original Aeronaves de Mexico w/ DC-8-21 and later switched to DC-8-50's. Into the 70's it became Aeromexico. The DC-8-50 rotated with the DC-10 seasonally until the service finally ended sometime in the late 70's when AM encountered financial trouble. After a few year hiatus, MX took over with 727/DC-10 eqpt, but the routing became PHL-CUN-MEX

MAH4546

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:11 pm

Sorry to bring the bad news, but it means nothing.

Airlines will renew their US-Mexico route authorities, even ones that been dormant for years, for the purpose of renewing them and giving them the flexibility to start the route at any time with no need to reapply. Applying can be a lengthy process, but renewing is as simple as sending in a letter saying "we want to renew".

I doubt AeroMexico is going to fly to Philadelphia soon, or Detroit, especially given their weak performance at Boston.
a.

vega
Topic Author

Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:22 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 6):
Sorry to bring the bad news, but it means nothing.
Airlines will renew their US-Mexico route authorities, even ones that been dormant for years, for the purpose of renewing them and giving them the flexibility to start the route at any time with no need to reapply.

Well I understand that, however I still believe an airline would not renew an authority if it knew it had absolutely no intention of flying the route in the next 12 months. Also, AM has been rumored to start PHL since last September. Your opinion that "it means nothing" is a little too all encompassing.
We are but a moment in this vast Universe and when gone we will never have existed.

MAH4546

Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:10 pm

Quoting Vega (Reply 7):
Well I understand that, however I still believe an airline would not renew an authority if it knew it had absolutely no intention of flying the route in the next 12 months. Also, AM has been rumored to start PHL since last September. Your opinion that "it means nothing" is a little too all encompassing.

Okay, maybe it can mean "something", but it is highly doubtful.

Airlines, like I say, renew route authorities for unused Mexico routes consistently. Renewing a route authority takes no effort, and protects an airline from other airlines entering into the market if something significant develops in the future that creates a market by either blocking them from entering the market or allowing them to enter into quickly or ahead of the other carrier. Mexican airlines have, literally, dozens of dormant route authorities that they renew on an annual basis. These are routes these airlines have either flown or sometimes have never flown, but because of how easy it is to renew a Mexico-US route, they renew them for competitive reasons to act quickly in case of market change.

In the past three years, Mexicana and/or AeroMexico have recived the authorities to fly Cleveland (AM), Charlotte (MX), Detroit (AM and MX), Philadelphia (AM), Phoenix (MX), Stockton (AM), and Washington, D.C. (AM). They have renewed these authorities, and they still don't serve any of them.

AeroMexico's to Philadelphia likely means nothing, although there is a small chance that something comes of it. We'll find out soon enough, but I question why they would want to fly the route given their struggles in Boston. US Airways could probably do significantly better if they were to fly PHL-MEX.

[Edited 2007-03-15 07:13:54]
a.

laca773

Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:50 pm

Has AM considered flying MEX-CVG-MEX since it's a DL hub. Perhaps not a big hub but is there a market there for them?

LACA773

cgnnrw

Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:52 pm

I don't want to join the cheerleading bandwagon on this but I think everyone would agree it would be great to see another international carrier into PHL. Or am I mistaken in this assumption?
A330 man.

juventus

Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:06 pm

Quoting MAH4546 (Reply 6):
I doubt AeroMexico is going to fly to Philadelphia soon, or Detroit, especially given their weak performance at Boston.

I agree, I think Detroit is out of the question for AM. But PHL has a slighter higher chance, US does not fly directly to MEX from PHL, maybe that will play a role. PHL could use at least one Latin airline.

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos