Moderators: jsumali2, richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

87GROUNDED
Topic Author

UA 853 ORD / Sbgr Engine Failure Right Now

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:22 am

Just across the news here in Chicago:

UA flight 853 ingested a bird just after takeoff and has shut down one engine. It is currently heading back to ORD and will perform an "emergency landing" as soon as possible. Flightaware shows it as 'en-route/no recent position'.

Spiffy

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/UAL843
On your deathbed you'll receive total consiousness- so I've got that going for me.

luke7e7

RE: UA 853 ORD / Sbgr Engine Failure Right Now

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:28 am

I've seen it happening with my own eyes!!!!!. It was around 9:30pm. The aircraft was about 2-3 miles east of the airport.It looked like 767 or 757 , not sure.

87GROUNDED
Topic Author

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:35 am

B767 with 165 passengers on board. Engine experienced a catastrophic failure and caught on fire just after takeoff. Speculation is that it ingested a goose or other large water fowl which caused the flames. The pilot shut the engine down and headed back to ORD- according to the latest. The plane is now on the ground and shut down on the runway. It is being towed to the gate as I type this.
On your deathbed you'll receive total consiousness- so I've got that going for me.

LASoctoberB6

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:36 am

damn birds...someone was probably feeding them.....
[NOT IN SERVICE] {WEStJet}

MCOflyer

Fri Mar 16, 2007 11:51 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 4):

Isnt that why they have helicopters or sound operated machines as in driving them off.

MCOflyer
Never be afraid to stand up for who you are.

EMBQA

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:01 pm

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 4):

Wrong.... it's migration time again and ORD is right under a major travel way....... the same thing happens again around August when they head south.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

flydreamliner

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:03 pm

It's always terrifying when something like this happens... glad everyone made it out okay and nothing worse happened.

It's that time of year for those damn geese... they should scare them away from the airport... or shoot them, or something.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

airfinair

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:08 pm

When I read the thread title I immediatety thought of this very similiar incident at ORD about 2.5yrs ago:
United Airplane Emergency Landing At ORD (by StevenUhl777 Oct 26 2004 in Civil Aviation)
ORD,MDW,IND,ARB,AMS,FRA,AUS,ANQ,DTW,DEN,PHL,PIT,MIA,GPT,SAN,PHX,LAX,SFO,OAK,SEA,LAS,SLC,SMF,ATL,MEM,BOS,MHT,JFK,EWR,LGA,NAS,SAT,MSY,DFW,AUS,IAD,GCM,RSW,PHL,CLT,

luke7e7

Fri Mar 16, 2007 12:29 pm

I'm glad that everyone is ok. This is so weird, I went outside to have a cigarette, and 10 seconds later I hear some lout explosions, looked up and see a 767 with the engine shooting flames. Hope to see some pics. of that poor engine.

adizzy

Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:16 am

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 6):
... or shoot them, or something.

WOW....."shoot them or something"......we have taken over what used to probebly be thier land!
Animal rights activists around the world on are on thier way to hospitals after having suffered heart attack from your comment.

thegooddoctor

Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:32 am

Quoting LASOctoberB6 (Reply 3):

Probably the spirit of Mitch Hedberg...damn that subway  Wink

Quoting ADiZzy (Reply 9):

WOW....."shoot them or something"......we have taken over what used to probebly be thier land!
Animal rights activists around the world on are on thier way to hospitals after having suffered heart attack from your comment.

...I'm pretty sure that John Locke would object to your application of his property theories to the population of ducks and geese... However, since they be migratory creatures, and no one has substantively shown that ducks and geese experience emotional trauma, and also considering they tend to fly thousands of miles anyways, I'm sure landing in the lakes a few miles from O'Hare is not something they spend too much time bitching about while they plan whether to "eat or reproduce first"...

To all the PETA'philes who are experiencing angina again, my profoundest apologies. Let me know how your cardiac cath turns out  Wink
The GoodDoctor

LAXdude1023

Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:32 am

Quoting Thegooddoctor (Reply 10):
Probably the spirit of Mitch Hedberg...damn that subway

HAHA, I miss that dude.

Quoting EMBQA (Reply 5):
Wrong.... it's migration time again and ORD is right under a major travel way....... the same thing happens again around August when they head south.

Its just nature. Birds go south for the winter and north when it gets warmer. Its not somthing you can really prepare for. The best you can do is to try to scare them away from the runways.
FOR THE LOVE OF GOD BRING BACK THE PAYWALL!!!!

artsyman

Sun Mar 18, 2007 2:51 am

Why is it that the 777 can have frozen turkeys shot at it from a cannon multiple times per minute, yet the 767 experiences catastrophic engine failure and catches fire.

luke7e7

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:01 am

Quoting Artsyman (Reply 12):

A lot bigger and stronger engine on the 777 would be the key factor.

clickhappy

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:10 am

They don't shoot frozen turkeys at any engine.

Haha, when is the last time a plane hit a frozen bird of anykind?

artsyman

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:19 am

They don't shoot frozen turkeys at any engine.

Actually they did. One after the other for quite a while. It is in the certification video for the GE90's. Quite amusing to watch.

clickhappy

Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:41 am

got a link?

There is the old story of them firing turkeys at a locomotive to test windshield strength, and the windshield kept failing, and no one could figure out why.

It was because the turkeys were frozen...

luke7e7

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:00 am

flydreamliner

Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:28 am

Quoting ADiZzy (Reply 9):
Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 6):
... or shoot them, or something.

yes, i'm sure these birds would much rather die by being ingested into a 8 ft wide turbine spinning at the speed of death.

flocks of birds at airports are hazards to themselves and the thousands of people in airplanes who fly by them (in to them), so whether O'Hare is 'the bird's land' or not, they just don't work there. If you shoot the geese, that's mostly just a threat to the geese at the airport.

believe it or not, thousands of birds are shot just for the heck of it (or the 'sport' of it) every year, at least shooting the ORD geese would save jet engines... and potentially airplanes and people too.

all i'm saying is, no geese at the airport, by whatever means necessary.
"Let the world change you, and you can change the world"

airfinair

Sun Mar 18, 2007 1:04 pm

Quoting FlyDreamliner (Reply 18):
flocks of birds at airports are hazards to themselves and the thousands of people in airplanes who fly by them (in to them), so whether O'Hare is 'the bird's land' or not, they just don't work there. If you shoot the geese, that's mostly just a threat to the geese at the airport.

believe it or not, thousands of birds are shot just for the heck of it (or the 'sport' of it) every year, at least shooting the ORD geese would save jet engines... and potentially airplanes and people too.

all i'm saying is, no geese at the airport, by whatever means necessary.

Ok. I guess I'll be the one to say it. Are you drunk? I'm having a hard time understanding the logic of your post.
ORD,MDW,IND,ARB,AMS,FRA,AUS,ANQ,DTW,DEN,PHL,PIT,MIA,GPT,SAN,PHX,LAX,SFO,OAK,SEA,LAS,SLC,SMF,ATL,MEM,BOS,MHT,JFK,EWR,LGA,NAS,SAT,MSY,DFW,AUS,IAD,GCM,RSW,PHL,CLT,

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos